1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Countryman Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
MEINR60
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tim155
I ordered a countryman s about a month ago and still waiting on delivery. I just saw consumer reports came out with a best and worst list. The 2013 Countryman S was marked with a black worst dot for reliability. I don't know how they come up with these rating, but I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has had any issues with there countryman?

Please respond, I'm seriously thinking of canceling my order and forgoing my deposit.
I own a 2012 Countryman All4, had for about a year now and no issues. Example of how reliable it is...I live in Las Vegas and drove it to Mammoth Mountain, CA approx. 8hrs. I went from the dry desert to a complete white out snow storm. I couldn't have been happier, no problems with the Countryman there and back. I also read how unreliable the Countryman's were/are and it didn't deter me from purchasing. I owned a '06 R53 before the R60 and have been just as happy

Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
R60All4
2nd Gear
I own a 2012 Countryman S All 4 with an auto. It has issues, but apparently mine is an even more unusual issues than others because 2 dealers just shake their heads and send me on my way.

20,xxx miles in 6 months and 9 days.
~ key not recognized, cost me a day of work on 2 occurrances
~ AC randomly turns off, needs coolant, yet no leak found
~ radio buttons work when they want to
~ sensor in passenger seat is overly sensetive.

All problems are unresolved. 29 days in shop, and numerous hours in and out.

Am I worried about the motor? transmission? driveline components? nope, but I am worried that on my days of an important meeting, will my car acknowledge that my key is in my hand, or plugged into the car, yes, yes I am. Am i worried that my AC will leave me soaking wet or business associates at the spur of the moment? Again yes. Radio buttons, I dont care, I just want them to replace that part.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your mini, but mine has left me with a sour taste, Thursday, Im ordering another car to be my daily driver/fun car, and this will be my back up if I decide to keep it.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tim155
I ordered a countryman s about a month ago and still waiting on delivery. I just saw consumer reports came out with a best and worst list. The 2013 Countryman S was marked with a black worst dot for reliability. I don't know how they come up with these rating, but I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has had any issues with there countryman?

Please respond, I'm seriously thinking of canceling my order and forgoing my deposit.
Tim, consumer reports reliability predictions are based on what their subscribers are reporting with the cars that they actually own, and are very statistically valid given the vast numbers of people that report. If you are interested in how the ratings and predictions are made, it's all there on their website.

That being said, you can clearly see that owners of 2012 cars are reporting far less problems than 2011 owners. There seems to be little question that model year 2011 was a disaster in terms of the number of problems that owners have experienced. While 2012 owners have generally had better experiences, the overall rating is still below average. It is very obvious that the number of problems owners of earlier model years have reported has affected their prediction for 2013.

We have owned both a 2012 and a 2013. While I am just one owner, I can say that the 2013 seems to have a much better overall build quality than the 2012 did. Would I ever suggest that the 2013 countryman is going to turn out to be one of the best cars made in terms of reliability?… No way. My guess is that one year from now when Consumer Reports has polled their 2013 owners, the overall rating will be closer to average.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd just like to add that in addition to all the other problems I've had, on Monday morning, after not having driven the car all weekend, I came out to find a puddle of water on the driver's floor mat. F*** this f***ing piece of s***.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=creep;3710391]I'm on the other side with more problems (2011 CM purchased new):
7) Friction Wheel just replaced the other day

What is a "friction wheel"? Never heard of this term.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
tim155
1st Gear
Thanks Shark, Royson, R60, and Mein. This really helps. I'm on my 7th week waiting for the car. I'm down to one car and I think the Wife is already getting sick of me driving her car, so I'm hoping the thing gets off the boat this week. I think its been 17 days on the water now, at least thats what their tracker says. Thank you all again.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Jlatigue
Neutral
I have a 2011 Countryman that has now been in and out of the shop 8 times. I actually have it in the shop as we speak because the high pressure fuel pump and the fuel rail sensor went bad and my car wouldn't even accelerate and had troubling starting and staying running. Other things that I have had wrong are a couple of different sensors and then I have also already had to have the entire turbo replaced. After getting it fixed this time...which is costing me over 2 grand...I am trading the car in because it has not been reliable at all for me. I have barely gone 3 or 4 months without an issue.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Gingrrr
Neutral
Purchased my CM all4 less than a month ago, new with only 24 miles on it. At mile 991 I had to have the fuel rail replaced. Needless to say....I'm nervous that I'm in for a ton more aggravation. I'm in love with the car, but scared I got myself into something bad here...haven't even mad my first payment yet!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 PM
creep
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not entirely sure. It's what the service person told me and what is listed in my receipt. The service person said it's a part that is by the water pump. Maybe somebody more mechanically inclined can provide more input.

If you google friction wheel for mini you'll see pictures of it.

[quote=shark715;3712529]
Originally Posted by creep
I'm on the other side with more problems (2011 CM purchased new):
7) Friction Wheel just replaced the other day

What is a "friction wheel"? Never heard of this term.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by R60All4
sensor in passenger seat is overly sensetive.
LOL - I have this problem too, but I figured it was just that newer cars had these super sensitive airbag/seatbelt sensors. Anything over about 10 pounds on the passenger seat results in the car telling me, very insistently, to fasten that safety belt. So I do, and it leaves me alone.

Is that a malfunction or just the way cars are now? My last car was purchased in 2002 and did not have that kind of sensor at all.

Last edited by tippykayak; 04-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM
ddbullard
2nd Gear
I have a 2011 All4 with 40K. I have had the temp sensor recall and once two corroded spark plugs put the CM into limp mode. Only other issue was front windows not always rolling all the way down. This is not much different that any other new car that I've owned over the years, but the driving experience is NO COMPARISON. Haven't had this much fun is 35 years of driving! I also love the head room. Being 6'3" makes it hard to find a smaller car that is easy to fit into.
No regrets at all!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
okyeron
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shark715
We have owned both a 2012 and a 2013. While I am just one owner, I can say that the 2013 seems to have a much better overall build quality than the 2012 did. Would I ever suggest that the 2013 countryman is going to turn out to be one of the best cars made in terms of reliability?… No way. My guess is that one year from now when Consumer Reports has polled their 2013 owners, the overall rating will be closer to average.
This is what I figure, but the bad reports (temp sensor, clutch problems, oil leaks) make me skittish about buying one.

Also I'm on the fence because I have 2 friends with 2011 Countrymans. One friend loves her's and would buy again. The other friend has been in the shop 15 times in 2 years and said "DO NOT BUY, you'll be sorry". So I'm 50/50 in personal experience reports.

I suppose it's too soon to know if the 2013 is not having all the same problems as the older models, eh?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 AM
R60All4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tippykayak
LOL - I have this problem too, but I figured it was just that newer cars had these super sensitive airbag/seatbelt sensors. Anything over about 10 pounds on the passenger seat results in the car telling me, very insistently, to fasten that safety belt. So I do, and it leave me alone.

Is that a malfunction or just the way cars are now? My last car was purchased in 2002 and did not have that kind of sensor at all.
I use an iPod 120gb and use a 3.5mm cable since the charger/3.5 wont sync to the car with the iPod, only my iPhone. With only the iPod on the seat and a little slack from the cable, it makes the MINI chime.

As for other cars? the STi I just ordered shouldnt do it, the tester didnt, my fiance's IS250 (2013 mondel) and '11 Miata dont do it, she has her purse on the seat unless Im there, no chime

Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
anthonymav
Neutral
Issues with Countryman

I have 2012 CM, bought Dec 2011. I have had three major problems since purchase:
1) The entire clutch had to be replaced. I was getting horrible burning stench and car was revving to 5000 rpms with the slightrest touch going from 1st to 2nd. Drove straight to mini, they said I was lucky to make it there. my mini stayed there for almost 2 weeks while part had to be shipped from Germany. Apparently this is an issue with Countryman that they are seeing more frequently.
2) During routine maintenance they discovered an oil leak in some hard to get to place, cant recall details. They had to take the engine apart to get to it. Another 2 days in shop.
3) The fan on heater/ defogger died. Had to order parts so I drove around for 2 days in winter with a towel in my car to wipe down windows.

AT least all covered by warantee and when needed they gave me a loaner car. Still love my mini and trading this one in for a Paceman.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by R60All4
I use an iPod 120gb and use a 3.5mm cable since the charger/3.5 wont sync to the car with the iPod, only my iPhone. With only the iPod on the seat and a little slack from the cable, it makes the MINI chime.

As for other cars? the STi I just ordered shouldnt do it, the tester didnt, my fiance's IS250 (2013 mondel) and '11 Miata dont do it, she has her purse on the seat unless Im there, no chime
Wow, that's crazy! I can put my laptop bag on the seat with no problem, but it seems to trigger if I go over about 10 pounds.