1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Price Hike, and RIP Center Rail and Buckets for 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013 | 09:06 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Just ordered our CM JCW a couple of nights ago. i agree the rear buckets are cool, but i just can understand the logic with the full length rail system. It's just asking to get dented and smacked around. Someone told me that in 2011 the rail was optional with the buckets. not sure if that option went away in 2012 or 2013, but that kept me from getting them.

Also, I like a bench back seat because you can put a larger item across the entire seating surface quickly and easily(as opposed to dropping the back seats to slide the item in the back) that won't fit into the back hatch area.

Old 06-15-2013 | 04:02 AM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
I did split rail with my bucket seats.

Old 06-15-2013 | 08:15 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blue dragon
We have buckets in the back, the bench is useless, you will never fit 3 people back there comfortably
Not necessarily. Everyone's needs are different. I can count on one hand the times I have had anyone riding in the backseat of my car....any car. So for me the bench is absolutely perfect. i have to ship fairly decent size boxes, and I can just open the back door and slide them in across the bench-no muss, no fuss.

And I can't imagine having rear buckets with that blasted rail system running front to back(you cannot remove the rail from the order system on a 2013).

Old 06-15-2013 | 08:22 PM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
The split rail is pretty nice. I like my rear buckets with split rail. I didnt really like the full rail on the car I saw with it.

Old 06-15-2013 | 08:31 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PrincessKick
The split rail is pretty nice. I like my rear buckets with split rail. I didnt really like the full rail on the car I saw with it.
We actually like the rear buckets, but we confirmed with several folks that on the 2013's you can't delete the rail that runs from the front console, through the "no man's" land behind the front seats, and terminates between the rear buckets.

I just couldn't imagine not being able to place an object in the back floor board that needs to stretch across the width of the car because there is a rail intersecting that space....that was the only frustrating part of an otherwise really fun configuration/order process.

Old 06-15-2013 | 08:34 PM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
Are you outside the US? Because in the US, the split rail option does not have the rail intersecting the back floor board in the foot area. Mine is a very recently received 2013 CM S.

Old 06-15-2013 | 09:19 PM
EHans
|
5th Gear
Are you outside the US? Because in the US, the split rail option does not have the rail intersecting the back floor board in the foot area. Mine is a very recently received 2013 CM S.
Exactly. I ordered with the split rail with buckets. It may be that other countries don't allow that. I know the options on the Canada site are far FAR fewer than those in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 06-15-2013 | 09:19 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Columbus, OH, US of A....when you go into the 2013 CM JCW build program, you can click on the "i" information box for the rear buckets, and there is the rail running front to back. I had the sales mgr do some checking and he called the "optioning"(?) folks at Mini-USA. They confirmed that on 2013 CM JCW's in the US, the rail does run front to back when choosing the rear bucket seat option....

BUT, it sounds like you may have actual experience that proves that information incorrect. Good to know.

would not have changed my mind on the rear bench anyway...we rarely, if ever, have anyone riding in the back of our cars, so we chose the bench for the ease of carrying larger items by just sliding them across the bench.

thanks for the info, though...

Old 06-15-2013 | 09:31 PM
EHans
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot

I had the sales mgr do some checking and he called the "optioning"(?) folks at Mini-USA. They confirmed that on 2013 CM JCW's in the US, the rail does run front to back when choosing the rear bucket seat option....

Ahhh... I didn't get the JCW. So that must be the diff. The Justa, S, and All4 let you do a split rail. Odd they would so that. On the Paceman, it only allows the split rail. Strange there is one model in the R60/61 lineup that is like that.

Last edited by EHans; 06-15-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2013 | 09:36 PM
EHans
|
5th Gear
Well, I just checked the online config and was easily able to configure a JCW Countryman with a split rail and buckets. Not sure what is going on in Ohio. ;-)

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:15 AM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
If you wanted a rear arm rest you can't do split rail. I tried putting that in the config before ordering just for the heck of it and it changed it to the full rail.

Old 06-16-2013 | 07:15 AM
EHans
|
5th Gear
If you wanted a rear arm rest you can't do split rail. I tried putting that in the config before ordering just for the heck of it and it changed it to the full rail.
Yes, that is true, but you don't get an arm rest with the bench, so I cannot imagine that was the config issue.

I don't know how the rear arm rest attaches. I cannot figure out why it wouldn't work with the spilt rail in my head.

Old 06-16-2013 | 08:43 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
Well, I just checked the online config and was easily able to configure a JCW Countryman with a split rail and buckets. Not sure what is going on in Ohio. ;-)
OK, now this is officially driving me crazy

so, I have to know how to do this. When I configure a CM JCW, the center arm rest is included, and I can't de-select it. when I select the rear bucket seat option, there's the pix of the full length rail. the rear center arm rest cannot be selected.

Now where do I go to choose a split rail option? I thought I had turned this configurator inside out for days before placing our order and can't believe I missed something....!!

As I mentioned earlier it would not have changed my mind about getting the rear bench, but this has become a quest now....it's the little things, you know?

Old 06-16-2013 | 09:19 AM
EHans
|
5th Gear
OK, now this is officially driving me crazy

so, I have to know how to do this. When I configure a CM JCW, the center arm rest is included, and I can't de-select it. when I select the rear bucket seat option, there's the pix of the full length rail. the rear center arm rest cannot be selected.

Now where do I go to choose a split rail option? I thought I had turned this configurator inside out for days before placing our order and can't believe I missed something....!!

As I mentioned earlier it would not have changed my mind about getting the rear bench, but this has become a quest now....it's the little things, you know?
For me, I just select the split rail and tell it to remove the conflicting bench seat.

Old 06-16-2013 | 02:03 PM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
For me, I just select the split rail and tell it to remove the conflicting bench seat.
When I built mine I selected rear buckets and split rail. Its was easy peasy.

Old 06-16-2013 | 02:50 PM
blue dragon
2nd Gear
Just ordered our CM JCW a couple of nights ago. i agree the rear buckets are cool, but i just can understand the logic with the full length rail system. It's just asking to get dented and smacked around. Someone told me that in 2011 the rail was optional with the buckets. not sure if that option went away in 2012 or 2013, but that kept me from getting them.

Also, I like a bench back seat because you can put a larger item across the entire seating surface quickly and easily(as opposed to dropping the back seats to slide the item in the back) that won't fit into the back hatch area.
We have the split rail with the buckets in our 2012.

Old 06-16-2013 | 04:05 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
I have buckets and love them. They're really comfortable.

The full rail wasn't the revolution MINI was hoping for, but I like having the full rail. I can see why they're cutting it, but I'm glad I got the full rail.

Old 06-16-2013 | 04:22 PM
jns2001
2nd Gear
Never realized there were so many bench seat lovers........
We have 2 kids, 7 and 4, best for them to have their own seat with cup holders in between.
Having twins at age 7, I'd rather prefer that we had a wall between the two seats....

Old 06-16-2013 | 04:29 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Well, all that education my parents paid for was wasted on me....sure enough, there's the split rail option....I must have changed configurations 100 times before we settled and I never even noticed it....

Doh......

thanks for setting me straight folks..

What gets me though is Mini-USA missed it as well......strange..

Jeff

Old 06-16-2013 | 07:22 PM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jns2001
Having twins at age 7, I'd rather prefer that we had a wall between the two seats....
I've thought about how to put up a plexiglass divider lol

Old 06-17-2013 | 01:16 PM
N2fw
1st Gear
We have buckets in the back, the bench is useless, you will never fit 3 people back there comfortably
Bench is perfect for having a small child in a car seat and having space to sit things next to the car seat and not on the floor.

Old 06-17-2013 | 01:59 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
I was by my dealer today to see if they had more info than our order change overnight in the Lounge that now reads "scheduling for production". They tell me our CM is scheduled to go into the "birthing center"(Mini's words !) on 6/23

Anyway, while there, they do have a CMS that came in on a customer order and it does have the buckets with the split rail in the back.

There is a VERY high cool factor with the buckets. They look fantastic, but the bench is going to work much better for us in our situation...

Old 06-18-2013 | 04:36 PM
ODannyBoy
1st Gear
Any word on possible new colors for the new model year?

Old 06-18-2013 | 07:05 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I have buckets and love them. They're really comfortable.

The full rail wasn't the revolution MINI was hoping for, but I like having the full rail. I can see why they're cutting it, but I'm glad I got the full rail.
It definitely is a neat idea, but they missed the mark on the accessories. My opinion is that they should have figured out a way to run 12 volt power through the rail so that powered accessories could be clamped onto it (like charging cradles for various phones, an accessory map light, etc.).

Old 06-19-2013 | 07:49 AM
Nine Plan Failed
2nd Gear
Glad I ordered a '13 then

I like the look of the buckets with the split rail and it works out great me with two kids (13 and 14) as they each have their own space in the back. Sorry to see the option go, one of the great things about the Mini is just how much you can customize them.

Really is a shame they did not come up with more uses for the rail or figure someway to enhance it instead of getting rid of it. The one idea about power in it would have been fantastic. That, and a better e-brake that does not make the front pretty much useless , aside from using the flat iPhone holder would have been nice.

Who knows, maybe some day that will make the '13 and prior models collectors.

Quick Reply: R60 Price Hike, and RIP Center Rail and Buckets for 2014?