1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Cooper SD vs JCW

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
ben_e71
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper SD vs JCW

Finally got to test drive the above two vehicles yesterday. Wanted something with the same overtaking ability as my C250cdi c class.

I really love the JCW for its looks. But I was surprised at how it didn't feel that much faster than the SD. is it that the torque of the diesel negates the extra power of the JCW?

I have to say this was against the backdrop of driving a manual for the first time in two years.

Anyone who has driven both care to comment?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 AM
MIKESGREENMINI
3rd Gear
Mini makes a diesel? Where are you from?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 PM
doug_all4
2nd Gear
The SD version of the MINI has gotten great reviews in Europe (50-60mpg) but a ton of fun, and there's all sorts of tunes to add even more torque to it over there. Probably not headed to the USA. Shame since we get the 3-series BMW diesel, but not the MINIs. Weird how the states can also get a few VW diesel models here, but no Audi diesels. Gasoline company conspiracy?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM
chini
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by doug_all4
The SD version of the MINI has gotten great reviews in Europe (50-60mpg) but a ton of fun, and there's all sorts of tunes to add even more torque to it over there. Probably not headed to the USA. Shame since we get the 3-series BMW diesel, but not the MINIs. Weird how the states can also get a few VW diesel models here, but no Audi diesels. Gasoline company conspiracy?
Oil company conspiracy, no. Big government regulation, yes.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:58 PM
MIKESGREENMINI
3rd Gear
I thought the OP was in the states. Europe has diesel in most of the cars over there. I would like to have a diesel mini. You can take the diesel to high power and torque output with just a tune or chip. I know for my dodge cummins with just a power chip you can get 400hp and 800 ft/lbs of torque without putting a bunch of expencive parts on.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM
ODannyBoy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chini
Oil company conspiracy, no. Big government regulation, yes.
As someone who works for a major OEM in diesel, both are a no. Diesel simply doesn't sell in the states, its not for lack of trying. See the Chevy Cruze, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the 6 cyl they are going to put in the 1500 series Ram. No one buys them. The upcharge for the tech doesn't outweigh the lower fuel prices. US fuel is generally worse than EU, but better than most places still.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM
ben_e71
Neutral
Originally Posted by MIKESGREENMINI
Mini makes a diesel? Where are you from?
THe UK.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:44 PM
chini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ODannyBoy

As someone who works for a major OEM in diesel, both are a no. Diesel simply doesn't sell in the states, its not for lack of trying. See the Chevy Cruze, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the 6 cyl they are going to put in the 1500 series Ram. No one buys them. The upcharge for the tech doesn't outweigh the lower fuel prices. US fuel is generally worse than EU, but better than most places still.
This is a good article describing the situation:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...diesel/4330313
I stand by my earlier statement of big stupid govt as the major issue.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 PM
ODannyBoy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chini
This is a good article describing the situation:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...diesel/4330313
I stand by my earlier statement of big stupid govt as the major issue.
That article made the same point I made with the addition of the discussion of diesel vs gasoline tax rates. That's a valid point but the overriding point with fuel costs is the overall comparison with European prices, that's what drives the purchasing decision. With both gasoline and diesel being relatively cheap in the US there exists little incentive to pay the extra cost of the diesel engine unless you need the torque. With GDI gaining market share diesel stands a better chance because of the cost of manufacturing the GDI system will continue to drive gas engine prices up. That's part of the reason you are seeing more "feeler" attempts in the NA market but to this point they haven't sold.

There are also some other issues with that article, particularly this section on emissions...
Additionally, since diesel doesn't evaporate like gasoline, the pumps are dirtier--no matter how clean those diesel engines are. And then there's another challenge for diesels--stricter U.S. emission regulations. The 50-state light-duty vehicle limit for emissions of nitrogen oxides is 0.07 grams per mile. In Western Europe, the limit is 0.29. Reducing NOx to nitrogen and oxygen is much harder with a diesel engine because the exhaust is typically cooler and contains less oxygen compared to a gas engine. To meet U.S. regulations, diesel engines are required to use complicated--and expensive--high-pressure fuel injection and after-treatment systems that in some cases inject an aqueous urea solution to handle the NOx. The added expense of course means an even longer payback period for the consumer
Firstly the evaporative issue counts against you no matter what. That is why the check engine light comes on for your gas cap.

Second, at this point effectively all diesels use high pressure fuel systems, the specific style may vary (Unit Injection, Solenoid, Piezo) but they are all high pressure (~1400 Bar+). Piezo tech gives you the most flexibility with number of injections per rev and varying that timing but it is more expensive and sensitive.

And third, singling out NOx is an over simplification of emissions, there are many other things they are looking at including particulates and CO as well. They obviously vary, some places are more concerned about a given category. Different tunes are required in different areas, but generally the equipment is the same. Also that article was written in '09 while the EU was at the very end of Euro 4 regulation, they have since gone to a stiffer Euro 5.

All of that to basically say using an article from 2009 to back an argument about the current state is poor form.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:07 AM
ben_e71
Neutral
Cool and so what we are saying is no one will have driven the SD because in NA the diesel doesn't exist

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 AM
rig_pig
1st Gear
Hi Ben. I picked up my Cooper SD All4 a month ago and I love it. It's now fully run in and I can start enjoying it more! It's returning an indicated 50 mpg average, which is pretty good. My previous car was a VW Bora TDi 130 which returned a 60 average so not a bad comparison really, especially as the Mini is heavier with the 4wd system.

I experimented with the sport button for the first time as well yesterday, brilliant. It feels as though the car has been immediately remapped and really turns it into a proper rally hatch.

I haven't driven the JCW though so can't comment on that but for economy and a good, fast all rounder, the SD is the one to have IMO.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 AM
ben_e71
Neutral
Rig Pig are you the guy with the absolute black with sports suspension on Total Mini?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 AM
rig_pig
1st Gear
That's mine mate!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 AM
chini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ODannyBoy

That article made the same point I made with the addition of the discussion of diesel vs gasoline tax rates. That's a valid point but the overriding point with fuel costs is the overall comparison with European prices, that's what drives the purchasing decision. With both gasoline and diesel being relatively cheap in the US there exists little incentive to pay the extra cost of the diesel engine unless you need the torque. With GDI gaining market share diesel stands a better chance because of the cost of manufacturing the GDI system will continue to drive gas engine prices up. That's part of the reason you are seeing more "feeler" attempts in the NA market but to this point they haven't sold.

There are also some other issues with that article, particularly this section on emissions...

Firstly the evaporative issue counts against you no matter what. That is why the check engine light comes on for your gas cap.

Second, at this point effectively all diesels use high pressure fuel systems, the specific style may vary (Unit Injection, Solenoid, Piezo) but they are all high pressure (~1400 Bar+). Piezo tech gives you the most flexibility with number of injections per rev and varying that timing but it is more expensive and sensitive.

And third, singling out NOx is an over simplification of emissions, there are many other things they are looking at including particulates and CO as well. They obviously vary, some places are more concerned about a given category. Different tunes are required in different areas, but generally the equipment is the same. Also that article was written in '09 while the EU was at the very end of Euro 4 regulation, they have since gone to a stiffer Euro 5.

All of that to basically say using an article from 2009 to back an argument about the current state is poor form.
Ok, so excessive taxes and regulation on both continents have no effect on market forces in the gas vs. diesel arena. Gee, thanks for clearing that up! I'll be sure remember that while filling up my tank with government mandated E10 gas and eating my overpriced corn chips. Poor form indeed.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by doug_all4
BMW added a diesel in the 5 series (535d) and supposedly the X3 is going to be available in the US as a diesel soon. There is also the 328d.
As for Audi the A6 is now available with diesel, the Q7 has been available with diesel and the Q5's can now be ordered and expected on dealer lots any time.
I replaced my CM with an X5 diesel and am very happy with it. It's bigger than what I needed but lots of space, comfort, and that motor is really well suited for the climb from SF into the Sierras.
I think a diesel countryman makes sense in the US. Probably wont see it in the R60, but I would be surprised if it were not available for the next gen.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
vaselas13
2nd Gear
Audi already has the diesel Q5 at their dealerships!!! Diesel CMSALL4? Oh yeahhhhh!!!! I've been considering an X5 diesel for my wife simply for a bit better mpg than gasoline

Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^ Hope your wife likes the X5d if you go through with it. Love mine.

MPG on the X5d is pretty good compared to lux SUV's, but it's not an economy minded vehicle. I'm getting 25MPG which is not bad for that heavy of a car. The better news is that it's over 500 miles between fill-ups.

There is also the matter of the $65k plus MSRP with some equipment, mine stickered at $73k. This should be a 10 year / 180k miles vehicle - maybe longer if it behaves - so it was worth it.