1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Looking at used 2012 Countryman, could use some advice/help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at used 2012 Countryman, could use some advice/help.

Hello all. Very proud R55 owner here. Long story short, I've got my Dad very interested in MINIs now and he wants a Countryman. I'm doing the searching for him as he'll likely go the used route. I've basically found a few 2012 S All4s with automatic transmissions that have ~10,000 miles. So a few questions:

1) Any general issues, things to be concerned about with 2012 models?

2) Just had a quick read in the one thread here and it sounds like the All4s have clutch issues. Is that even something that could go wrong in an automatic? (I know this could be a really stupid question, but I read some automatics do have clutches) Also, is this issued being covered by MINI, IE fully repaired?

3) How does the All4 perform in snow? Obviously snow tires would help, but how does it do in all-season tires?

4) We did one test drive together and I felt like I could hear some definite wind noise? Anyone else experience this? I realize it could have been a window, but I was thinking the sunroof. They all seemed closed though.

Anything else anyone could add would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
chanclor
2nd Gear
It is really only the manual transmission with the clutch issues. Did it have roof rails on it? Those can cause some wind noise.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Again folks, any general issues we should be concerned with if he's looking at a '12?

Originally Posted by chanclor
It is really only the manual transmission with the clutch issues. Did it have roof rails on it? Those can cause some wind noise.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Not sure if it did or not. The one my Dad is considering has the rails though so that's good to know.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
The roof rails themselves (which are standard) do not cause wind noise. Some people complain of wind noise when the roof rack base bars (crossbars) are installed. I have them (along with mounting trays for my bikes) and the noise is not that big of a deal.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 AM
Camthewookie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
The roof rails themselves (which are standard) do not cause wind noise. Some people complain of wind noise when the roof rack base bars (crossbars) are installed. I have them (along with mounting trays for my bikes) and the noise is not that big of a deal.
Do you have a sunroof? I test drive two with crossbars and sunroofs and they whistled over 40mph. Enough that it would make me crazy on a daily basis.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM
nd3boy
2nd Gear
No real concerns with my '12. Approaching 23,000 miles, still on original tires, original brakes, etc... I do not have All 4 and was pleasantly surprised how it handled last Christmas/NYE when I was up in South Bend when it snowed for several days. But I wasn't plowing through 12 inches of snow either....

Only maintenance so far has been the routine oil changes, the recall for the engine temp senor, and 2 window motors that went out on me (covered under warranty).

Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I think we're getting close.

NEED SOME QUICK HELP ON THIS NEW QUESTION: Did the leatherette seats every have white piping on them? The 2013 model specifically. I'm 99.9% sure the white piping means leather seats, but dealer (and it's a Mini dealer) has it listed with leatherette despite the seats having white piping. Haven't checked them out in person yet, but I'm certain it's a mistake on their part. Only other thing that makes me skeptical is the VIN decoder, but the pictures are all very clear with the white piping.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 AM
metroman68
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I think we're getting close.

NEED SOME QUICK HELP ON THIS NEW QUESTION: Did the leatherette seats every have white piping on them? The 2013 model specifically. I'm 99.9% sure the white piping means leather seats, but dealer (and it's a Mini dealer) has it listed with leatherette despite the seats having white piping. Haven't checked them out in person yet, but I'm certain it's a mistake on their part. Only other thing that makes me skeptical is the VIN decoder, but the pictures are all very clear with the white piping.
I have the black leatherette seating...my understanding is piping is always associated with leather seating.. I purchased my CM All4 about 2 months ago as new. Did not have a choice as I took it off the lot and the other options were more important to me so I accepted the leatherette. One thing to be aware of..in our use...the leatherette seating "breathes" much less than actual leather! Tends to give my wife and I sweaty backs on hot days...I've heard a few other comments along that same line.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Yep, sounds like leather to me. I've never seen leatherette on MINIs in anything but plain black.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
If it has white piping, it's Lounge Leather (a $2K upgrade). I have it in Carbon Black in my '12 and love it.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Thanks guys. Yeah, I was 99.9% sure as I said, but the listing had it as leatherette and being a Clubman owner I wanted to be certain. It amazes me looking at used listings and they get the listing wrong. Found a Countryman a few months back with the same issue, but another dealer swooped in first and snatched it from the dealer I found it at. Marked it up the $2k and sold it.

Originally Posted by metroman68
I have the black leatherette seating...my understanding is piping is always associated with leather seating.. I purchased my CM All4 about 2 months ago as new. Did not have a choice as I took it off the lot and the other options were more important to me so I accepted the leatherette. One thing to be aware of..in our use...the leatherette seating "breathes" much less than actual leather! Tends to give my wife and I sweaty backs on hot days...I've heard a few other comments along that same line.
Well rest assured the leather would probably do the exact same thing. Test drove one with the carbon lounge leather last weekend and it was the mid-80s day for a while. It had been in the lot in the sun all day and the seats were definitely as warm as my leatherettes.

I actually preferred leatherette when getting my latest Clubman. I'm thinking it'd be easy to maintain them, but more importantly it won't/shouldn't stretch like leather will so no wear marks. That being said the leather I have seen didn't look too worn, but that was on a 5000 mile 2012. I also didn't want to fork over the $2000, but since my insurance company covered my entire new vehicle including the extra options I wish I wish I'd added them. I simply didn't know they wouldn't challenge me on extra options though.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM
BradfromOntario
3rd Gear
Our base Countryman is unstoppable with 4 winter tires, so the ALL4 will get you moving a little quicker off the line. It feels very sure footed in the winter.