1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Rear bike rack, roof rack or hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 PM
brooksthepro
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear bike rack, roof rack or hitch?

Just got a CM justa and love this thing so far! I really want a solution for our bikes (2) but not sure what route too take.

I like the idea of the rack that secures to the back that mini sells, but it probably wouldnt be something we would leave on the car all the time, so we would have to constantly take it on and off. But its a little pricey and cant be used for anything but bikes.

I also like the idea of the racks on top for the bikes but this requires them to be lifted over the car which seems like a real pain in the *** plus my wife couldnt manage this on her own. the racks could be used for other things besides bikes though...

I also saw the cooper crap hitch which had me interested since i would be able to use any rack i want plus maybe tow some stuff? Maybe buy a cheap harbor freight trailer to tow my motorcycle? Not sure how much i would actually use it though...

As you can tell, im confused, any input for or against any of these options would be awesome. Maybe pictures and first hand experience with what option you chose? Thanks a lot!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Brian Mangold
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres a little thread i put together:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3777539

i went with a hitch rack, because of height limitations. its super convenient and there's no wind noise on the highway.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I am a competitive cyclist and also do triathlons. My bikes always ride on the roof. I have the factory base rack on my 2012 Countryman and I use Rocky Mounts trays with it. I love the setup, and it also gives the option to carry other things around, such as kayaks.

My Countryman is currently at the dealer for some warranty work. They are out of MINI loaners, so they paid for a car rental for me. I have a brand-new Altima and I put a trunk rack on it for the time being. Last Friday, I was going to pick up my race packet for a triathlon on Saturday. It was pouring rain, and I saw one car behind me as I went to back up, but I didn't see the other and hit them (with the rental!). Fortunately, there was no damage (It was at about 1 mph), but if my bike had been on the rear rack, it would have been crushed, and the other car would have been damaged too.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
brooksthepro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Brian Mangold
heres a little thread i put together:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3777539

i went with a hitch rack, because of height limitations. its super convenient and there's no wind noise on the highway.
Do you use the hitch for anything other then the bike rack? I see you opted for the minifini hitch. Not sure I want to permanently affix the hitch, worried about potential warranty problems I have read in other threads.

Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
I am a competitive cyclist and also do triathlons. My bikes always ride on the roof. I have the factory base rack on my 2012 Countryman and I use Rocky Mounts trays with it. I love the setup, and it also gives the option to carry other things around, such as kayaks.

My Countryman is currently at the dealer for some warranty work. They are out of MINI loaners, so they paid for a car rental for me. I have a brand-new Altima and I put a trunk rack on it for the time being. Last Friday, I was going to pick up my race packet for a triathlon on Saturday. It was pouring rain, and I saw one car behind me as I went to back up, but I didn't see the other and hit them (with the rental!). Fortunately, there was no damage (It was at about 1 mph), but if my bike had been on the rear rack, it would have been crushed, and the other car would have been damaged too.
How heavy are your bikes? Are you able to just lift them up over the car or do you use a stool? Or can you open the door and stand in the car? I assume they are very light road bikes. I am looking to transport mountain bikes.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 AM
gremlin
2nd Gear
I'd go with a hitch mount. Looks like the mini-fini one will have no issue with even 3 or 4 bikes on a hitch rack. With a roof rack you get to run the risk of running the bike into something, plus you have to lift the bikes overhead. With mountain bikes you have to worry about mud falling onto the roof of the car as well, never fun.

For my paceman I'm having a custom fab hitch since no one has one yet, and I'm usin a 1UpUSA rack which is pretty trick.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Gawaine79
Neutral
I went with the hitch from cooper crap.
It's easy to install, easily removable and doesn't void any warranties. Usually on things that are removable like this it's fairly easy to re-sell.

http://www.coopercrap.com/countryman-hitch/

I've had a https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/hitch-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-t2-2-bike-916xtr-_-916xtr
style bike rack for a long time so I wasn't really looking for roof rack type loading.

It makes it super easy put bikes on and off. I don't have to remove any wheels and or anything.

As far as ASKtheteach's comments you'll have to get used to driving with extra height or length on the car if you put the bikes on the outside. There are road hazards for each. On the back get used to being extra careful parrallell parking and backing up. On the roof get used to watching out for low tree branches, parking garages or even your own garage. Insurance companies have those commercials for a reason.

I think what matters is how easy it is to access, loading/unloading, and how much protection your bikes get if you care about them a lot. Not having to remove wheels was a big deal for me. I figure if i have to remove the wheels might as well put the bike inside, the safest place for the bike.

If you're looking to transport mountain bikes I think it also makes sense to put the bikes on the back since they might be super muddy, wet etc...I wouldn't want that stuff falling on my car if I could avoid it.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
brooksthepro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Gawaine79
I went with the hitch from cooper crap.
It's easy to install, easily removable and doesn't void any warranties. Usually on things that are removable like this it's fairly easy to re-sell.

http://www.coopercrap.com/countryman-hitch/

I've had a https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/hitch-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-t2-2-bike-916xtr-_-916xtr
style bike rack for a long time so I wasn't really looking for roof rack type loading.

It makes it super easy put bikes on and off. I don't have to remove any wheels and or anything.

As far as ASKtheteach's comments you'll have to get used to driving with extra height or length on the car if you put the bikes on the outside. There are road hazards for each. On the back get used to being extra careful parrallell parking and backing up. On the roof get used to watching out for low tree branches, parking garages or even your own garage. Insurance companies have those commercials for a reason.

I think what matters is how easy it is to access, loading/unloading, and how much protection your bikes get if you care about them a lot. Not having to remove wheels was a big deal for me. I figure if i have to remove the wheels might as well put the bike inside, the safest place for the bike.

If you're looking to transport mountain bikes I think it also makes sense to put the bikes on the back since they might be super muddy, wet etc...I wouldn't want that stuff falling on my car if I could avoid it.

Do you have any pics of your setup? Maybe a close up of the actual hitch and how the rack attaches to it, how close everything comes to touching the bumper, etc? How much did this whole setup run you?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Gawaine79
Neutral
Originally Posted by brooksthepro
Do you have any pics of your setup? Maybe a close up of the actual hitch and how the rack attaches to it, how close everything comes to touching the bumper, etc? How much did this whole setup run you?
I'll try to post pictures later this week. I usually take it off and only put it on when I go to events or have to drive somewhere for a bike ride.

Prices

Hitch=295 + 40 Shipping
Rack = ~400 - You can get different kinds here for cheaper. I personally got mine for $125 used about 6 years ago and still works great.
Hitch Reducer ~20 - You may not need this but my rack was 1 1/4. The hitch cooper crap hitch is 2".

If you go with the non-platform hitch rack you can find those used all over the place for $100. The platform ones are going to be the best of the best. I drool over the KUATs but can't see myself spending that much unless I can find one used.

The roof racks are going to be cheaper. I looked those up as well. I could find used rails for $75 and the oem mini bars new on ebay for about $175. = $350. But for me since I already had the rack the cost was the same.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
c4ptn0bv10us
1st Gear
I went with the rear bike rack and I love it!

Easy to get my bikes on and off plus it folds forward to access the boot.

I decided against the roof rack because I didn't want to worry about putting my bikes on the roof plus i park in a garage and the bikes would need to be put on and removed outside of the garage.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Silver s
Neutral
Go with the hitch!

I went with the MiniFini hitch and it is fantastic! Stealth while the rack is off the car and super convenient to use.
Here is a link to some of my comments.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-today-28.html

This is one solid product and the youtube video is like having an expert to guide you through the process - I had my laptop in the garage and watched as I did it.
Good Luck!
-Jim

Last edited by Silver s; 08-07-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Gawaine79
Neutral
Originally Posted by c4ptn0bv10us
I went with the rear bike rack and I love it!

Easy to get my bikes on and off plus it folds forward to access the boot.

I decided against the roof rack because I didn't want to worry about putting my bikes on the roof plus i park in a garage and the bikes would need to be put on and removed outside of the garage.
This is a nice perk...there's been a few rainy days I got caught in the rain. I was able to park a little further in the garage and without getting wetter than I already was >.>.

I have posted a response to your question about cost/pictures but it's sitting in moderation.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Purchased the hitch system from Coopercrap. Pretty good quality. Purchased a Thule 4 bike rack for the trip to the Cape...everything went well. Will modify the rack so it does not extend out as much...as the Thule has a latch to swing it down to open the back of the countryman...as it is now it opens either way. Wasn't happy with the powder job..so we removed re-prepped and will be doing it in a matte black swirl. While we had it apart...decided to make a 5th wheel holder to adapt to the 2" hitch. Running 19" summer tires...Use to always throw the extra up in the Thule box...this will be easier...especially for a day trips, and one coming up this Sunday...pic's of holder soon as we finish fab. work, abrasive blast and powder

Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
I use the factory roof rack that I mount yakima bike mounts on and a thule kayak rack. I like the flexibility, but if elevating items onto the roof is an issue, it sounds like the tail mount is the way to go!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
So I re-powdered (matte black swirl) Coopercrap hitch to match the quickly fabricated tire holder for my 5th wheel for my 19" summers. Adapts pretty well to the 2" receiver. Taking a quick day trip on Sunday up to Greasy's in MA. Great bunch of guys I met in June at the MOT in NH.
Looking forward in meeting up with some other mini fanatics for some all important coding and perhaps a wash and quick detail. It'll give me a good 200 miles or so to test out the tire holder....A release pin to lower it away from the boot would be nice, rather than pulling the pin and removing the tire rack....maybe a set of red led running light or brake light would be a nice addition. As mentioned earlier....what's nice about this hitch is it attaches to the existing supports for Mini's $700+ bike rack. A few turns of the lugs to loosen the pins, remove the hitch, pop the plastic caps back in and nothing's there....Should be AOK with Mr. Mini...warranty wise.
Few Pics....

Rear bike rack, roof rack or hitch?-noname-10.jpeg

Rear bike rack, roof rack or hitch?-noname-11.jpeg

Rear bike rack, roof rack or hitch?-noname-12.jpeg

Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Brian Mangold
1st Gear
brooksthepro,

i do use the hitch to tow my boston whaler when i need. its completely hidden behind the rear bumper.

gremlin,

yea it has no issues with 3 or 4 bikes, it could do 20 if it was possible, the hitch is rated for 3500 pounds, dunno if the countryman is good for that though

Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyer53
That first pic makes the wheel look huge!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 AM
brooksthepro
1st Gear
Thanks a lot for your input guys! I think I have decided to go with the coopercrap hitch, I think it has way more flexibility long term, no warranty issues, etc. Plus a buddy of mine wants to go half and half on a motorcycle trailer.

Originally Posted by Flyer53
So I re-powdered (matte black swirl) Coopercrap hitch to match the quickly fabricated tire holder for my 5th wheel for my 19" summers. Adapts pretty well to the 2" receiver. Taking a quick day trip on Sunday up to Greasy's in MA. Great bunch of guys I met in June at the MOT in NH.
Looking forward in meeting up with some other mini fanatics for some all important coding and perhaps a wash and quick detail. It'll give me a good 200 miles or so to test out the tire holder....A release pin to lower it away from the boot would be nice, rather than pulling the pin and removing the tire rack....maybe a set of red led running light or brake light would be a nice addition. As mentioned earlier....what's nice about this hitch is it attaches to the existing supports for Mini's $700+ bike rack. A few turns of the lugs to loosen the pins, remove the hitch, pop the plastic caps back in and nothing's there....Should be AOK with Mr. Mini...warranty wise.
Few Pics....

Attachment 79438

Attachment 79439

Attachment 79440

Do you leave the hitch on the car all the time? Or do you take it on and off? How long does it take to install?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM
brooksthepro
1st Gear
This is a nice perk...there's been a few rainy days I got caught in the rain. I was able to park a little further in the garage and without getting wetter than I already was >.>.

I have posted a response to your question about cost/pictures but it's sitting in moderation.
Did this ever get past moderation? If not, PM or email me: brooksthepro@gmail.com

Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by brooksthepro
Thanks a lot for your input guys! I think I have decided to go with the coopercrap hitch, I think it has way more flexibility long term, no warranty issues, etc. Plus a buddy of mine wants to go half and half on a motorcycle trailer.

Do you leave the hitch on the car all the time? Or do you take it on and off? How long does it take to install?
Purchased it just before our trip to the Cape... Took it off last week to make some modifications to carry the 5th wheel and re-powdered everything to match. I lost one of the pop-off body caps/covers that covers the 2 open holes. So I'll leave it on until I order them and can properly protect the openings. They hang attached with a hard type plastic material, but evidently not secure enough. One person can attach it as well as remove it...but it does take a little wiggle and play to guide it once lined up over the threaded posts as it needs to be put on evenly...which makes sense. A few taps of a rubber mallet as well as some lube over the posts worked well.
I powdered mine a black matte wrinkle and blends well with the color I was not impressed with powder job...But Coopercrap subs that out...I think plain black and white were the color choices....black is what was in stock...
You could make it very subtle...or I have some great colors that would make it the center of attention....

Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've posted about the roof vs rear hitch matter on CMs elsewhere in the subforum, but in short I came from two previous MINIs (Hatch, Clubman) each with Minidomore concealed receiver hitches and rear bike racks. I vastly prefer the rear rack method: easier to get the bikes on and off, especially for shorter users; the hitch can take a trailer or a cargo box; no wind noise; certainly less hazard risk than the overhead racks as far as collisions due to forgetting they are there (thou, being hit from behind with a rear rack does put your bikes at risk)...

...however for the CM I went for a roof system for the first time in 10 years. The reason, despite all of the above, is that it's a leave-on-all-the-time solution. I'm not the only driver. My wife frequently had the MINI, and didn't have the rear rack installed in her use of the car. So I would be in situations where I couldn't easily transport the bike as intended (she'd meet me somewhere but without the rack on and want me to leave my bike locked up or at the office and come with her to help with kid management; or, I'd have a mechanical on a long road ride but she couldn't physically get the hitch rack installed on the car in order to come bail me out, as it was too heavy. Ultimately, with a roof rack, I ALWAYS have the ability to haul a few bikes.

Even if that comes with wind noise and overhang collision risk.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a base CM too and went with the MINI FINI Hitch, works very well and most people don't know its their when not in use. Takes only a couple minutes to slip in the hitch, hook up and go.

I posted some detail shots in this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-bad-idea.htm

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-bad-idea.htm

Last edited by Jimbo; 08-12-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add link tothread
Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Brian Mangold
brooksthepro,

i do use the hitch to tow my boston whaler when i need. its completely hidden behind the rear bumper.

gremlin,

yea it has no issues with 3 or 4 bikes, it could do 20 if it was possible, the hitch is rated for 3500 pounds, dunno if the countryman is good for that though
You're forgetting that's towing weight, not tongue weight, a hitch mounted bike rack s all tongue weight! Remember the lever arm created on the hitch by having a bike 4-5 feet out on the arm.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Gawaine79
Neutral
Yea tongue weight is usually only 200-300 lbs...
I would be weary of having 4 bikes using the cooper crap hitch. I think the mini fini could handle it though because of the way its mounted.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 PM
brooksthepro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
I've posted about the roof vs rear hitch matter on CMs elsewhere in the subforum, but in short I came from two previous MINIs (Hatch, Clubman) each with Minidomore concealed receiver hitches and rear bike racks. I vastly prefer the rear rack method: easier to get the bikes on and off, especially for shorter users; the hitch can take a trailer or a cargo box; no wind noise; certainly less hazard risk than the overhead racks as far as collisions due to forgetting they are there (thou, being hit from behind with a rear rack does put your bikes at risk)...

...however for the CM I went for a roof system for the first time in 10 years. The reason, despite all of the above, is that it's a leave-on-all-the-time solution. I'm not the only driver. My wife frequently had the MINI, and didn't have the rear rack installed in her use of the car. So I would be in situations where I couldn't easily transport the bike as intended (she'd meet me somewhere but without the rack on and want me to leave my bike locked up or at the office and come with her to help with kid management; or, I'd have a mechanical on a long road ride but she couldn't physically get the hitch rack installed on the car in order to come bail me out, as it was too heavy. Ultimately, with a roof rack, I ALWAYS have the ability to haul a few bikes.

Even if that comes with wind noise and overhang collision risk.
Thats the only downside of the coopercrap hitch I can foresee, I probably won't want to leave it on the back all the time, which would require it being taken off and on repeatedly. We don't bike THAT much though, not even once a week, so I guess it wouldn't be that big an issue.

Can anyone confirm how long it takes to pull the coopercrap hitch on and off? Or do most people just leave it attached at all times?

Yea tongue weight is usually only 200-300 lbs...
I would be weary of having 4 bikes using the cooper crap hitch. I think the mini fini could handle it though because of the way its mounted.
Gawaine79: Any word on those pics of your setup?

Ya I would make sure the bike hitch is as close to the car as possible, I would only be doing 2 bikes as well.

I agree that the MiniFini hitch is probably the safer solution because of the way its mounted and its rated maximum weight. But I really do not want to permanently modify the car in any way or have any questionable warranty issue what so ever. So minifini is out of the question for me.

Hitch plus 2 bikes couldn't weigh more then 100lbs tongue weight. Coopercrap is rated at 200lbs.

Trailer I want weights about 300 lbs and the heaviest thing I want to tow is a motorcycle that weighs about 400lbs plus maybe some extras. So thats pushing 800lbs. The coopercrap is rated at 1000, not sure what that tongue weight would be for a rig like this but they say 15% of the gross weight is a good tongue weight so long as I position the load correct on the trailer I should be under the 200lb limit.

Again, I am leaning towards the coopercrap hitch mainly because of the versatility. There was a guy on craigslist here that was selling the oem mini rear bike rack + roof racks that I agreed to buy as a package for $450 but he sold it before I could pick it up. If an awesome deal like that comes around again I may jump on it, im still hunting around. But otherwise I am leaning towards the coopercrap so long as my buddy still wants to go 50/50 on the trailer.

We shall see..... im so indecisive. lol

Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll say that all of my MINIDOMORE hitch experiences were good, both cars, each only took a few minutes. You learned to pull the pin without looking, sometimes without even getting down on the ground, and then hefting the rack out of the hitch. I would guess that the coopercrap might take a wee bit longer, thanks to the threading on both sides, but actually EASIER to do.

Quick Reply: R60 Rear bike rack, roof rack or hitch?