1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Few questions about starting the engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Braldee
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few questions about starting the engine

I am new to this and MINI is my first car.

1. I noticed the car turns on when I put my foot on breaks. Is this correct? How about turning it off. I noticed pressing it once (after it is on Park), the music still plays on or the console is left on. DO I just press it again to turn the engine off? Or just leave the console on and after I leave the car locked, it will just shut off? Sorry if this question is so silly.

I ended up having to press the "start button: several times to get it to turn off, sometimes, when i press
it off and the console is on, then i press it on once more, it starts the engine. SO I do not know what is the accurate and SAFE way to turn and turn it off

2. Given this is my first car, I heard cars need to "cool" and wait few min after turning on the engine like other cars before driving it. Does this apply to MINI cars , esp the "14 CMs, given these are well built engines..
I even heard the "BREAK-IN" procedures for new cars as well with many miles to enable the engine to work well in the long run or something... do i still need to do these? And even driving it slowly, progressively from 55ph to not shock the car... i just keep hearing these things from random car owners. I have no idea what is right to do.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have comfort access, press the start button while pressing the clutch (or break since you are in an auto?) to start. To turn off totally hit the button twice. If NOT comfort access, hit once to turn off engine, and remove your key. That simple.

Follow the owner's manual's instructions for break in procedure.

You do NOT need to warm up the car. The computer treats the engine differently during start up until warmed than it does during warmed up driving. Just drive your car. If you have a turbo, I would recommend NOT punching the gas when you are 5 minutes from home, but again... personal preference here.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
From the manual…

Starting the engine

Manual transmission:
Key in ignition lock or inside vehicle with Comfort Access.
1. Depress the brake.
2. Depress the clutch.
3. Press the Start/Stop button.

Automatic transmission:
1. Depress the brake.
2. Shift the selector lever into position P or N.
The starter operates automatically for a certain time, and stops automatically as soon as the engine has started.

Switching off the engine

Manual transmission
1. With the car at a standstill, press the Start/Stop button.
2. Shift into first gear or reverse.
3. Forcefully apply the parking brake.
Automatic transmission
1. With the car at a stop, move the selector lever to position P.
2. Press the Start/Stop button.
3. Forcefully apply the parking brake

Start/Stop button
Press the Start/Stop button to switch radio readiness or the ignition on and off. Do not depress the brake or clutch while doing so. If the Start/Stop button is pressed while the clutch is depressed in the manual transmission or the brake pedal is depressed in the automatic transmission, the engine starts.

Break-in period
Moving parts need breaking-in time to adjust to each other. Please follow the instructions below in order to achieve the optimal service life and economy of operation for your vehicle.

Engine and differential
Always obey all official speed limits.

Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do not exceed the following:

> Gasoline engine
4,500 rpm or 100 mph/160 km/h
Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmission's kickdown mode.
After driving 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Engine and vehicle speeds can be gradually increased.

Tires
Due to technical factors associated with their manufacture, tires do not achieve their full traction potential until after an initial break-in period. Therefore, drive cautiously during the first 200 miles/300 km.

Brake system
Brakes require an initial break-in period of approx. 300 miles/500 km to achieve optimized contact and wear patterns between brake pads and rotors. Drive cautiously during this break-in period.

Clutch
The function of the clutch reaches its optimal level only after a distance driven of approx. 300 miles/500 km. During this break-in period, engage the clutch gently.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Braldee
2nd Gear
Hell guys. I'm just a fairly new mini owner

What if u have been out of town for two - three months. Is it still safe to drive it right away upon starting engine or I have to like wait for a certain time if it has been months ? Or should i atleast have someone turn it on for me while I'm gone just like what others would do with any other car left unused?

Also, when u start the car, I turn on the start button before moving the gear from park to drive right? Can someone clarify what the person above posted

Which is this:

From the manual…

Starting the engine

Manual transmission:
1. Depress the brake.
2. Depress the clutch.

Automatic transmission:
1. Depress the brake.
2. Shift the selector lever into position P or N.
The starter operates automatically for a certain time, and stops automatically as soon as the engine has started.

Getting a little confused. So the emergency break has to be down before turning the start button on?

Thanks guys !

Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 AM
_simon_
Neutral
This is what I do:

Starting:
Get in!
Push the "key" in
Foot on the brake
Press start
Shift to D
Release emergency brake
Foot off the brake
Accelerate!

Shift to D and release emergency brake can be done the other way around, it doesn't matter. The emergency brake has no relation to pressing start so up or down it doesn't matter, but you need your foot on the brake pedal to press start.

Stopping
Foot on the brake
Shift to P
Engage emergency brake
Foot off the brake
Press Start twice
Push "key" in to release

You can leave your foot on the brake whilst pressing start twice, that doesn't matter. Again it doesn't matter if the emergency brake is up or down.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All emergency brake does is engage the rear discs. Just don't drive with it on, but the car will warn you if you try. Doesn't matter when you disengage them as long as your car isn't moving yet.

Since you have an auto, just stay in P, no need to go into N and put on the emergency brake.

You are way overthinking this. Just enjoy your car. The normal maintenance brake downs are still going to happen. Your car is too smart to let you start in gear and blow the tranny.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Yup...
Don't stress that t so much...
Turn the car on....maybe take a few moments to adjust stuff, and drive...
It is just a car....not a rocket ship...
If you are not comfortable and need some hand holding, go to the dealer...and the sales person can do some hand holding....
One suggestion....
While I know your car skills are limited, be sure to have the oil level checked every few tanks of gas (maybe every 1000 miles or so)....a friend or the dealer can show you how!! Some mini's consume a bit of oil...this is normal, but more needs to be added before anything is damaged from running too low.
Now go motor!!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 AM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
+1 on the stressing. Just get in and start it up! I don't sit and warm my engine but I will start it and finish up grabbing my things and locking up the house. That way, by the time I drive off, it's been on for a couple minutes. When I stop driving, I usually let it idle for a bit while collecting my things as well. Then I'll turn the engine off.

Also +1 to what ZippyNH said. Be sure to check your oil very often. MINI engines can be temperamental with guzzling oil which like they said, can affect a lot of things in negative ways if you let it run too low.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
This thread is a hoot, LOL funny. Where exactly does the OP live and drive? I'd steer clear of the area. Is this a troll kind of thing?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Braldee
2nd Gear
I am sorry if my questions are stupid and silly. I just worry too much because I really have no idea and I am so new to this.
I just want to be honest and transparent instead of keeping all these questions unanswered
I appreciate everyones help here a lot.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
This thread is a hoot, LOL funny. Where exactly does the OP live and drive? I'd steer clear of the area. Is this a troll kind of thing?