1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Anyone painted the roof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Danske
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone painted the roof?

Thinking about painting the roof red, JCW Countryman is black with red stripes. It has been several years since I have painted so not certain I want to tackle this on a nice car. Anyone paid a body shop to do it and if so how much money would it cost me. I figure supplies are $100. Looks simple.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 PM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i'd look into having it wrapped before painting it, unless you have it professionally done and even then...

Old 08-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Danske
2nd Gear
I might wrap it but would rather get a nice coat of paint on there that can be waxed and look good many years.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Scsigman
1st Gear
You will pay more than 100 for any quality paint. You are looking at like 2 to 3,000 for a good paint job. The cheapest way to go is a maaco job which will chip and everything else for 1,000. Painting is expensive and one of those things you get what you pay for.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Scsigman
You will pay more than 100 for any quality paint. You are looking at like 2 to 3,000 for a good paint job. The cheapest way to go is a maaco job which will chip and everything else for 1,000. Painting is expensive and one of those things you get what you pay for.
OP is painting the roof only.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Scsigman
1st Gear
I know he is painting the roof only there is still a lot of work in painting just a roof especialy if you have the panorama roofs then you are also going to have to pay for a high priced BMW paint from their line then if you want the top of the for jams done that's even more money then you have to add the shop hourly rate which depending on where you live can get up to 95 an hour so when you say it's just a roof it's not like you are spray painting a bicycle also didn't even add in the prep of sanding and priming the roof

Old 08-11-2014, 04:38 AM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scsigman
I know he is painting the roof only there is still a lot of work in painting just a roof especialy if you have the panorama roofs then you are also going to have to pay for a high priced BMW paint from their line then if you want the top of the for jams done that's even more money then you have to add the shop hourly rate which depending on where you live can get up to 95 an hour so when you say it's just a roof it's not like you are spray painting a bicycle also didn't even add in the prep of sanding and priming the roof
i agree, the prep work would out cost the actual "value" of having this done which is why i suggested wrapping it.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:33 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
I'd figure 750-1000. Can't hurt to take it to a reputable shop and get a quote.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fenton got his black roof painted BMW Alpine White for about $1500 - it was an excellent job.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Danske
2nd Gear
I got a couple quotes for paint both were about $950.

Vinyl wrap checked a couple places neither could match the existing stripe color so they would have to either print the vinyl or replace stripes with same vinyl as they us on roof. Roof only price $400, roof and stripes $800 plus the wrap they want me to remove headliner and roof cargo rails.

I think I will go the paint route.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM
svntsvn
2nd Gear
I'm about to look into the same vinyl thing, as I prefer the roof/body being the same color.

I'd look into another vinyl shop, they probably are limited in colors, or push a certain vendor only. I had one shop bring out some swatches for my roof, it was a no-go with the chili red. I didnt even discuss printing the color, they were kind of sketchy anyway.

I'd suggest going to a print shop (first call to see if they have a newer pantone (plus system) swatch book, with the cymk matching system ) then match it on your car against the swatches. From there, you may be able to get samples printed (maybe a small range of your color) sent to you from a more specialized shop online. If its a matter of the gloss/sheen/matte, etc. throwing off your color match, maybe you could spray a couple of your own samples (with clear coat), then you could have something they could work with if you sent it back to them.

That way, if you dont have a pantone (coated or uncoated) exact match, you can get the cmyk equivalent and work from there with the range. The reason I say range, is the cmyk is usually not an exact match of the pantone, depending on the substrate it's printed on.

You could even get some details on the vinyl you intend to print on (dot gain, other properties) and an experienced print shop (maybe paint shop?) could inform you on what cmyk range to have the vinyl company print the samples on. Depending on the product, ie. matte, gloss, semi-gloss, you could get the samples printed on each. It's really not as complicated as it sounds.

Just an idea, this is what I'll be looking into soon with a new car. Maybe there's even a plastidip option? I'm all new to this, just thought that could be useful. If you get anywhere, pm me I'd be happy to help, I have experience doing cmyk ink drawdowns for branding clients. If you figure out any hack way other than painting, I'm all ears.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 AM
jewitcher
2nd Gear
dipyourcar.com

post pictures if you try this.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 AM
bong
1st Gear
Anyone painted the roof?-1photo.jpgi found this shop charging $300 per panel and charged me $350 for my roof and spoiler

Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Danske
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by svntsvn
I'm about to look into the same vinyl thing, as I prefer the roof/body being the same color.

I'd look into another vinyl shop, they probably are limited in colors, or push a certain vendor only. I had one shop bring out some swatches for my roof, it was a no-go with the chili red. I didnt even discuss printing the color, they were kind of sketchy anyway.

I'd suggest going to a print shop (first call to see if they have a newer pantone (plus system) swatch book, with the cymk matching system ) then match it on your car against the swatches. From there, you may be able to get samples printed (maybe a small range of your color) sent to you from a more specialized shop online. If its a matter of the gloss/sheen/matte, etc. throwing off your color match, maybe you could spray a couple of your own samples (with clear coat), then you could have something they could work with if you sent it back to them.

That way, if you dont have a pantone (coated or uncoated) exact match, you can get the cmyk equivalent and work from there with the range. The reason I say range, is the cmyk is usually not an exact match of the pantone, depending on the substrate it's printed on.

You could even get some details on the vinyl you intend to print on (dot gain, other properties) and an experienced print shop (maybe paint shop?) could inform you on what cmyk range to have the vinyl company print the samples on. Depending on the product, ie. matte, gloss, semi-gloss, you could get the samples printed on each. It's really not as complicated as it sounds.

Just an idea, this is what I'll be looking into soon with a new car. Maybe there's even a plastidip option? I'm all new to this, just thought that could be useful. If you get anywhere, pm me I'd be happy to help, I have experience doing cmyk ink drawdowns for branding clients. If you figure out any hack way other than painting, I'm all ears.

I looked at samples from 3M, and Avery (carmine Red looked closest match to existing stripes) and then custom print. One place was sign shop and said they could match color by printing. I just feel better with paint even though Vinyl is a little cheaper. Plastidip does not see right on a nearly $40,000 car. I post a picture next week when I get it back from paint.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:47 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
I looked at painting the wife's R60 roof chili red. My quote from a local shop was $800-$850, which included all the paint and prep work.

Since we were getting extensive other graphics done on the car through, I had my graphics guy give me a price for the roof with everything else. I think the roof alone was $250, give or take $50, I really don't remember. He wanted the roof rails removed too but I told him I couldn't do that. He said it would have made it easier, but he did it anyway and I couldn't be happier. no seams are visible. He tucked in everything that needed to be and unless you are eyeball to car, you can't tell the difference.

Not the greatest photos of the roof, but it's all I have at the moment. These were from MTTS 2014.

-Z

Old 09-01-2014, 01:07 PM
illeagalhunter
3rd Gear
Looks great , paint the calipers red

Old 09-01-2014, 01:10 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Heh - they are. It was late in the day and kinda dark. You can kinda tell in the first photo that they are painted. They are definitely bright and match the color scheme, but its hard to read in these photos.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Danske
2nd Gear
That is sharp looking. What did you use to blackout the chrome? Paint, vinyl, something else?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Headlight and Tailight trim are the actual blackout trim pieces MINI sells. They aren't actually black, but match the graphite color that surrounds the side scuttles. My accent stripes on either side of the red aren't black either, but actually the same graphite and texture the stock pieces have, so it all ties in together.

The chrome trim on the beltline was covered with vinyl using the kit Outmotoring sells here. It's a nice kit and I have used it on 3 MINIs now and there is plenty for the R60.

The rims are the new RSe10's from Nuespeed.

Front grill surround is plast-dipped. Since she doesn't have comfort access, I am looking to just buy covers for the door handles rather than dipping them.

Still have a lot to do on her car though.

-Z

Last edited by zcast; 09-01-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zcast
I looked at painting the wife's R60 roof chili red. My quote from a local shop was $800-$850, which included all the paint and prep work.

Not the greatest photos of the roof, but it's all I have at the moment. These were from MTTS 2014.

-Z
I saw your car on MTTS, and it looks great. I assumed it was a red-roof JCW; had no idea you had it wrapped!