1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Charging CMs"14 with the OEM Advance Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Braldee
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charging CMs"14 with the OEM Advance Battery Charger

My car got a new battery since it died not being used for two months.

Now that I have a new one, I was informed to charge it every time I do not use it, like for a week or more. This was told to me when the car was just diagnosed early and was advised that a new battery was needed.

But now, I asked the service guy today and told me that I should charge it every time possible. Even 2-3 days of not using it. I feel this is quite a hassle since there may be days in a week I do not plan on using it and I was under the impression (the way the guy explained it) it was easy to plug and charge.. Almost plugging it and then hooking the n+/_ on the battery to charge and then removing it when I plan on using the car again that day.

But now that I saw how the battery charger looks like, I have no idea how to even install it! It looks complicated and it says in the manual something about the fuse box and tower structure or something... I thought it was just directly to the battery. Manual looks so hard to follow since I have no knowledge like anyone of you here.

I am looking into getting someone who knows about cars around my neighborhood to help me but I am a little worried still

Do you think this is easy to maintain once I get someone who knows how to install it... I mean, will I have to use screws each time i charge and remove the charger.

Sorry for such ignorant questions...

I plan to drive the car out of state next week so I need to be sure that the car wont die all of a sudden on the way or have issues.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Braldee
2nd Gear
I was able to ask a friend to do it.

He said he was done putting it in. But one thing I didn't understand is that word "Notch" means to cut out.

So according to him he had to cut a part of the Fuse Cover per the #7 of te manual instructions in order for it to close since the wire is now in the way.

is this ok that he cut? i hope he did not tamper anything for doing such....

Last edited by Braldee; 07-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Braldee
2nd Gear
I have an update as of now, it is installed and I have pictures. if anyone thinks the setup is fine, pls let me know . I just had my friend install it and I hope it is correct. And I hope it canbe left charging and not remove when it is full.
Since it is Advance Battery Charger, i assume it stops charging when it thinks it is full , right?

Any advice and tips, would be appreciated. Sorry for all the hassle.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 AM
Braldee
2nd Gear
Can someone confirm this is correct?

Old 07-14-2015, 05:01 PM
jag60mk2
Neutral
Bradlee,

Does the charger have any ratings listed on it? Amazon has an advanced battery charger OEM that plugs into the cigarette lighter. The output is only 1.25 amps which is a low maintenance charge level. If yours is factory OEM, I suspect it will work the way you want it to.

Can you post the party numbers and show all the directions if there are more pages?

I just had an issue with my 2012 - threw a RED battery warning after sitting for 4 weeks. It happened before and the dealer replaced the alternator because there was an alternator failure code locked in. This time I took the battery out, recharged it fully and replaced it. Now that the car is home - it quit on my daughter half way home from work - the light is out and the alternator is putting out 15.3 VDC. I think the ECM is not letting the alternator turn on with the battery voltage too low so it won't try to crank too many amps into the battery.

Thanks,
Matt