1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Flat tire... New tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:44 PM
DNytAftr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat tire... New tires?

Hey guys, so i just realized i had a flat tire on my mini. Looks like its a nail puncture next to the side wall so most likely wont be able to get repaired. The closest mini dealer is about 3 hours away from me currently and the local shops only carry summer runflats/non-runflats in the 205/55 17 size. Im thinking at the very least i would need 2 tires, but im not sure if i should mix summer and all season..

While i have been debating on getting 19 inch rims (NM RSe10 ) for sometime im wondering if this may be a good point to switch out to a set of aftermarket wheels since i would already be purchasing 2 sets of tires. From what ive heard places like costco dont really want to put tires onto non oem wheels (im guessing because of some sort of liability?). The only other place thats near by is sears and a goodyear, but im not sure about what their policies are in that regards.

Just looking for some thoughts :D

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 PM
RMachuca
2nd Gear
Ditch the RF's, alltogether, you can thank me later.

PS: Buy a sludge\inflation emergency kit incase of flat with non rf's.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM
bleonard1401
1st Gear
I agree with RMachuca. I haven't changed the OEM tires on my CM yet, as they only have 11000 miles on them. However, after riding in a friend's CM that had ditched the RFs, I noticed that the ride was smoother and quieter. He added a slime kit to the boot, and got 4 high-performance summer tires for less than what it would've cost to replace the 4 all-season RFs. I'm planning on doing the same as soon as my tread level goes into the yellow zone for tread depth.

I'm not sure what the climate is like where you are, but take that into consideration before jumping at the summer tires. If it gets cold where you are, that first mile or two out of the driveway can be a bit sketchy until they warm up. Cold track tires + a running dog put me in a ditch a few years ago because of a quick swerve that I know my previous all-seasons would've handled. Luckily, there was no real damage, except a suspicious stain in the seat

Increased rim size is another thing I've decided to never do again. If you live in an area with rough roads, you could find yourself buying new tires more often than you expected. They look good, but it felt like I was lucky to make it past 6 months without a blowout.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:19 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
I put Falken all weather non run flats on my 19's. They have been great so far. They are supposed to last 50k miles which is twice the mileage of all of the performance run flats. And in the massive rains we get this this time of year they have stayed glued to the road.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:41 AM
DNytAftr
1st Gear
Hmmm.. good information guys :D I think im probably going to ditch the run flats next opportunity i can. i just moved to San Francisco where the weather tends to be in the 60's maybe 70's and also more likely to rain during the winter sometimes spring months.

I been thinking that maybe 18's might be more practical as there are alot more potholes in the city then what im used too and i would be less likely to break/dent a rim. I been thinking of the mini R135 jcw rims could be a good option. Hmm.. while i havent seen any Falken's while in my search for tires (maybe tire rack?) i been looking at the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 or the bridgestone Potenza RE970AS

If i did get another set of rims i was thinking that maybe i could use the 17's for winter tires when i go to the snow in December through February and keep a pair of all season performance tires on for regular day to day driving, Would there be enough of a benefit to keeping a set of winter tires?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I think your best living in SF is to have 2 sets of tires. All season and snow tires. I live over in Sacramento I hve 16" R84 rims with Riken Raptor tires and th 15" OEM rims and tires for Wiinter. I also have a set of Chains that are approved for the Mini for if we go to the snow. We trave alot between Sacramento and Boise Idaho and in October we have run into snow storms so I will put the 15's on then and carry the chains.

Tom

Old 07-22-2015, 02:32 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Find a good tire shop , call around. Some MINI dealership will out tires on aftermarket wheels and they have wheel mount coupons and specials. They use the low profile sick on weights also and are better on wheels then most tire shops that really beat on them.

NM RSe10 and 14

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-Cooper_Countryman-R60-S_ALL4-Hatchback-L4_1.6L_N18B16A/Wheels/Aftermarket_Alloys/2

NM

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-22-2015, 04:33 PM
DNytAftr
1st Gear
Cool ill definitely look for a good tire shop in the area (once i figure it all out). Would you think i would fine with 19's in the city or would 18's be alot safer from damage due to road hazards?

:P I spent alot of time in the Davis area and went up to squaw and boreal on the weekends in the winter. Although currently i been spending more time in the southern Tahoe area, hopefully this winter my girlfriend can learn how to snowboard.

Last edited by DNytAftr; 07-22-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:44 PM
RMachuca
2nd Gear
18's.

Even my 17's have a few small dents from potholes, going 19 i can guarantee you'll bend something sooner rather then later.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,875 Posts
18" would be safer and also because of the higher sidewall.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172