1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Brand New to the Mini Community. What should I know & look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:12 PM
RichCamp45
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand New to the Mini Community. What should I know & look out for?

Hello everyone and I am excited to a new member of the Mini Community. I'm 19 & I'm super fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase my own Mini. Specifically a Countryman Base. My Mini has what I believe to be is the Visual Boost where the speedometer is. I have the Harmon-Kardon audio system & the upgraded seats. The cloth & leather mix with the red stitching. I don't have the bench seat, instead the rail system that extends all the way to the back & the doors have the color red as well. Black with chrome exterior with 35% tint on the front & everything else is 5% tint (recently done). As for performance I have the base with the 121hp & an automatic transmission. Also before I forget! My Mini is a year 2012 & I purchased it with 21K miles.
I love my car. One of my closest friends has a 2015 hard top & when I drove it I fell in love. I am a bigger male so the Countryman is more suited for me and it worked out perfectly. It's basically my dream car & at times I'm sill in the "woah I cannot believe that's mine" since to me it's so beautiful & I love it a lot. LOL.
Anyways this post is mainly so I be informed of what others have experienced with their cars. When should I replace things in the engine. Replace or flush fluids. Major repairs others have experienced. As well as discuss some concerns and see what's best. I'll be using this car to go to work & school (my college campus is about 10 miles away & my work place is about 4). Hopefully nothing serious ever happens to my Mini since my nearest Mini Dealership is about 100 miles away. The nearest BMW dealership is about 12 miles away but I don't know if they're able to work on Minis. So hopefully you all in the community can inform me.
So again I love my car but I am noticing some things that maybe I can hopefully receive some answers.
1) On the screen for the radio, I often times here a fan blowing. Even when the car is off. Should I be concerned or what is that. I should also add I have to keep my car parked outside & here in the Central Valley in California, it can get hot.
2) To decently get to speed, I usually have to accelerate to around 3k RPMS. Will that wear out my engine or damage anything. I'm used to cars speeding up nicely under 3k and here I reach 3k rpms (maybe I should have gotten an S LOL).
3) When on sport mode, the engine or transmission can be a bit jolty. Especially if I let go of the gas petal and coast. It can jolt a bit. So I usually tend to not use sport since I don't want to damage my car.
4) Manual says to take take off once I start the car. Should I listen? I usually don't take off till I'm at about 600 rpms. To stay on the safe side.
5) My tow cap to the rear bumper seems to be missing. On the driver side. Is there anywhere where I can find a replacement?

Alright that's my car & my concerns. Thanks for the welcoming everyone. So excited to be part of this community. Let's Motor everyone!!

5% tint on back part & 35% on the front.

Front View

I actually like this combination. Looks pretty ugly when you build it on Mini USA to be honest LOL.

No auto climate control. But I got the screen though with the unknown fan noise.

Rear View.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 AM
BrickRo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there! Great to have you aboard! I am new as well.. only a week and a half old to the countryman community. My wife and I both had Mini's in high school though.

I do not know much about your questions but just wanted to say welcome and the car looks awesome!

I havent had a chance to take any good ones of mine yet as its been rainy up here in the north east. But here we are:

Name:  958C6DD1-09E6-4741-BD9E-A1CED24701E0_zps1izqoe4x.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  254.8 KB

Name:  9FFDFCF4-0E84-4930-89F9-A38BB8FAF1FA_zpstnn17ko5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  425.2 KB

Again welcome to the mini community and have fun!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM and congratulations! There is no need to be concerned about accelerating to or over 3k RPM's. Cars are meant to be driven so enjoy it. The tow hook cover on the driver side is HERE. Comes primered so it will need to be painted to color match.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST