1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Radio and Phone Settings for Mini Connected

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 PM
VColi
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio and Phone Settings for Mini Connected

I have a Countryman R60 (VIN WM26148) with Smart Phone Integration (Option Code 6NF) and Mini Connected (Option Code 6NM) and Navigation. I stayed away from the Snap-In Cradle since my iPhone 4S which worked perfectly with Mini Connected. Last week when my car was in for service, the shop foreman was kind enough to demo the different options for the iPhone 6 in my Countryman. The “Snap-in adapter Connect for iPhone 6/6S” (84 21 2 407 464), “Snap-in adapter Music/Media Universal” (84 21 2 365 785), and “Media adapter” Y Cable (61 12 2 408 012) all worked fine during the demo. So I got the Snap-in Adapter for the iPhone 6. The Universal adapter was tempting because I could keep my case on, but the iPhone 6 cradle has the fan and the Apple silicone case is easy to remove.

After one week the normal functions (Music, Phone, antenna, charge, fan) all work great and are very predictable. Connected works “most” of the time. Sometimes I really have to experiment to get Connected on the Mini to recognize the phone. This typically involves quitting/launching/navigating in the Mini Connected App, reseating the phone in the cradle, and sometimes restarting the phone.

Does anybody know what the settings are to make the phone connect and a procedure to follow when it will not connect?

Also I have no luck getting Mini’s “Journey Mate” App to work with my Countryman. Any insight on Journey Mate is also appreciated.

I have the current iOS 9.3.2, Mini Connected App Version 3.1, and Software MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.8.

Thanks,
Vince

Last edited by VColi; 06-30-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: minor corrections
Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 AM
mattyb13
3rd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Good morning. Im hijacking this thread a little bit. I have a brand new 2016 Countryman S. I have mini connected. What does the phone cradle do if I were to get it? Where can I get that cradle?
Thanks for the info!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:45 AM
@yez_zir
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same questions.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:48 PM
VColi
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off welcome to you both to the Mini community and North American Motoring! You did not mention if you had an iPhone (vs. Android), but I will assume you have an iPhone since you bought Mini Connected and are probably already using Mini Connected with the included Y Cable and downloaded the App. The Cradles basically are an alternative to the Y Cable. You get all the features of the Y Cable and a little better signal strength (typically one bar) because the phone connects to the roof antenna. If you buy the phone-specific cradle (vs. Universal), it also includes a fan. Yes, the phone can get hot in the cradle. Another advantage of the cradle is that the phone is hidden/out-of-reach so you are not tempted to handle the phone while driving. There are many disadvantages to the cradle besides cost. The phone-specific cradle requires you to remove a protective case on the phone. The Universal cradle seems to be a better choice because you can use it with a thin case, works with the iPhone 6 plus, and supports Android.

The cradles are a BMW/Mini OEM part. So they are available from your Mini dealer and OEM part suppliers that advertise on this forum. It is best to see a demo of both the phone-specific and Universal cradle with your phone in your car. Also if you buy, make sure the dealer confirms the correct cradle for your car based on your VIN.

Another option of course is to skip the Y Cable and Cradle and use the Bluetooth audio option on your phone. But then you don't get the Mini Connected features (and headaches).

It should be noted if you use the Y Cable, Cradle, or Bluetooth Audio, the telephone connection (for hands-free dialing and car speaker/microphone) is still done through Bluetooth.

I hope this helps.