1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Fogging Intake: Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 AM
llebcire
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fogging Intake: Seafoam

Planning on cleaning the intake/chambers on my wife's Countryman S with Seafoam. I didn't realize how difficult it is to see the throttle body and clean it manually.

Using the Seafoam spray (with intake adapter) going into the last break on the passenger side - don't want to introduce through the turbo or past any sensors.

-Eric

Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM
llebcire
1st Gear
Worked like a champ! Had my wife hold the RPMs at +/-1800 then let it sit for 20 minutes followed by a "spirited" drive.

More smoke than I normally get and of course the CEL came on as it had a tough time starting. Now it idles so smooth you can't feel it - was getting a little rough. Really wish I could visually see the throttle body

-Eric

Old 03-07-2017, 02:21 PM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
interesting.

i'm due... way past due actually.

so while she held the throttle at 1800 rpms you injected an entire can into that intake line, shut the car down, let it sit for 20 minutes, then started it up and ran it for a bit ?

is that all that there is to it ?

Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 PM
llebcire
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dpike
interesting.

i'm due... way past due actually.

so while she held the throttle at 1800 rpms you injected an entire can into that intake line, shut the car down, let it sit for 20 minutes, then started it up and ran it for a bit ?

is that all that there is to it ?
Yes - it's that easy!

For my other car, Accord V6 Coupe, I can feed a vacuum line to the intake as well as manually clean the butterfly in the throttle body - this design isn't conducive to a quick clean.

Here's a YouTube video outlining the process - I opened the intake at the arrow, inserted the tube, and followed the process in the video.

Before you begin know that the vehicle will be difficult to start initially (took 4 -5 attempts) and I got a half CEL that went away in a few minutes. If you've never done this the amount of smoke you'll get for the first 5 minutes will be concerning - I wouldn't do it on a beautiful Sunday afternoon with all your neighbors outside :-)

There are several videos (YouTube) that take pictures of the cylinder before and after treatment and while this isn't as effective as manually cleaning the cylinders (walnuts) this is a good treatment for all vehicles and especially ones that seem to be so prone to carbon. I also use 5 - 10 ounces in the fuel tank of the liquid Seafoam.

-Eric

Seafoam Video:

Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Last time I did this, it was a windless day and humid. The damn smoke stayed right in front of my garage. I used fans to try and blow it away from my house. Next time, it will be a breeze or better yet, a windy day and let it diffuse into the air. Just something to share from experience. Best stuff ever though! Makes a huge difference.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire
Planning on cleaning the intake/chambers on my wife's Countryman S with Seafoam. I didn't realize how difficult it is to see the throttle body and clean it manually.

Using the Seafoam spray (with intake adapter) going into the last break on the passenger side - don't want to introduce through the turbo or past any sensors.

-Eric
What is this intake adapter you speak of?