1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Rand McNally Wireless Backup Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Staggie
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rand McNally Wireless Backup Cam

okay, im at a loss and figured I'd run this by everyone. Picked up a Rand McNally Overdryve 7 navigation and the wireless
back up camera.

After some one fun times running the cables to the rear. Anyways, I tested the camera with the 12v and the camera activates. Sweet!

I then run the wires to the reverse wire and the ground. When the car is on, the red light comes on the receiver
of the camera but the navigation shows no camera. I've checked all connections and they are solid. I disconnect the wires and run it to he 12v, camera works.

any ideas or thoughts on why the camera will not turn on when in reverse and connected to the reverse wire?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:25 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the reverse switched power or switched ground?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Staggie
1st Gear
I would assume power as soon as reverse is engaged, the wireless receiver lights up red. Just as it would be if connected to a 12v.

i did find a post on someone adding a relay inbeteeen the 12v and the reverse light. May look into this.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's switched GND then try to find a violet with a stripe wire to use as power. On BMWs this is ignition switched 12V. No need for a relay draining your battery when parked.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staggie
okay, im at a loss and figured I'd run this by everyone. Picked up a Rand McNally Overdryve 7 navigation and the wireless
back up camera.

After some one fun times running the cables to the rear. Anyways, I tested the camera with the 12v and the camera activates. Sweet!

I then run the wires to the reverse wire and the ground. When the car is on, the red light comes on the receiver
of the camera but the navigation shows no camera. I've checked all connections and they are solid. I disconnect the wires and run it to he 12v, camera works.

any ideas or thoughts on why the camera will not turn on when in reverse and connected to the reverse wire?
I also installed the same pricey system. The wireless connection between display and camera was unreliable. Our Best Buy store closed. Rand McN offered no help other than a manual (!), so I'm going to use it for GPS in my motorhome.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Staggie
1st Gear
Yeah, I found that out. I thought I was going crazy and even used a relay off the 12v in the trunk area. Since we're Best Buy elite status, we can rest for a little while and see if we enjoy it. Slightly disappointed, let me tell you. Though I do love the size of the device, especially in my Ford Edge.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 AM
Staggie
1st Gear
Ended up taking the GPS/Cam back. With the unreliable signal for the Rear Camera, we decided it wasn't worth it. Will look into other options soon.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staggie
Ended up taking the GPS/Cam back. With the unreliable signal for the Rear Camera, we decided it wasn't worth it. Will look into other options soon.
Couldn't take mine back. Local Best Buy closed. I was past the return deadline at another store and Rand McNally had NO interest in taking it back. Made a note to never deal with Rand again.