R60 don't understand engine air flow

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 AM
kpgraci2
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't understand engine air flow

trying to figure out the intake air flow in the 2015 mini countryman S R60

my confusion comes from my apparent lack of understanding of modern tubrocharged engines. The twin turbocharger on the mini takes in outside air, compresses it, then sends it to the intake manifold. In examining the rather complex duct work on the mini and looking at the exploded diagrams however leaves me with some questions.

First, there are two 'air' connection of the turbo, an in and an out. Easy. The 'in' looks like it connects directly to an front air scoop which seem very wrong to me. I could be wrong about this, hard to see from up top. I do not understand the purpose of the elaborate boost air duct system, nor if the air in it is at normal pressure or turbocharged pressure. The exploded diagrams I list almost bring it together but not quite.

Could someone, explain the path of air form outside the car to a engine cylinder and perhaps 'why' it takes that path? Thanks!

Edit: OK, forgot about the intercooler...which is post-turbo? At what point is the air passed through the air filter, just before intake manifold? So cold outside air directly from driver-side upper scoop to turbocharger, then turbocharged air into boost duct system, through intercooler, to intake, through filter to cylinder? So what does the lower passenger side outside air scoop do?

Edit2: OK, I may have this! lower front outside air scoops are non-functional, it seems, at least they only direct air into engine compartment. Air enters driver side upper air scoop and is ducted to intake muffler where I assume it passes through the air filter. Then it travels from the intake muffler to the turbocharger, which compresses it and sends it down to the front intercooler, which cools it, then sends it back up and over the engine passenger side to under and very near the intake muffler, but I assume not to it (why would it?) rather more logical would be to the intake manifold which sits just below the intake muffler. Not so bad, but I do not know what is going on in and below the intake muffler (as far as airflow), it is not visually easy to see.

boost air duct
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ZC33-USA-06-2015-R60-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=13_1206

intake muffler
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ZC33-USA-06-2015-R60-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=13_1212

turbo charger
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ZC33-USA-06-2015-R60-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=11_6649

Last edited by kpgraci2; 12-11-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There are essentially 3 ducts on the front of the countryman. There are 2 lower which usually have a fancy chrome or colored trim pieces. These are to cool the brakes and do not function towards the intake. The 3rd in behind the grill toward the drivers side. This duct takes air from outside and through ducting, takes it to the lower side of the air filter box at the rear of the engine. Air passes through the filter and to the turbo "cold side". As the turbo spins it pulls air through the pre-turbo intake and shoves into the post-turbo section which goes down to the intercooler, gets cooled and then up/over the passenger side of the bay to the throttle body and finally the intake manifold on the back of the engine (under the air filter box). The turbo itself does not compress the air inside itself but rather creates the pressure post turbo in the series of pipes and intercoolers.

Last edited by cstrumol; 12-11-2017 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kpgraci2 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
MINI Has a duct coming from the grill that feeds cold air to the intake. Other than that, everything else is pretty standard.

Air filter --> Air Intake --> MAF --> Turbo --> Hot Side IC Pipe --> Intercooler --> Cold Side IC Pipe --> Throttle Body --> Intake Manifold --> Engine

The following users liked this post:
SunBird (01-01-2020)
Old 12-30-2017, 08:49 AM
minimontes
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
simple- break it down child-like no offense intended, just simple this way:

forget the multiple ducts up front- theres a duct right around the radiator area (going off the 2013 model, dont know if the 15 is all that different) which feeds air to the air filter,,,,,, find that duct???? good. thats fresh air.

from the turbo theres a duct coming from the air filter... find that? thats the air intake- it sucks fresh air through the air filter into the turbo

next is a pipe coming off the turbo, going down between engine and radiator down to near the bottom of the front bumper- that is the hot charge pipe to the intercooler.
on the opposite side there is a pipe coming back up over and towards the back under the air box....... thats the chilled air charge pipe.

good???