1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 R60 Vacuum Pump Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 AM
ig109
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R60 Vacuum Pump Delete

I've found a number of threads on guys deleting the pumps on R56 minis. None of guys doing it on R60 / N18..

Anyone done it or tried.. I'm thinking about tying into my assumed low vacuum / controlability issue on ours tonight and thinking if the pump is weak it will get deleted and replaced with a vacuum can / check valves..

Anyone want to try and talk me out of it..

Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ig109
I've found a number of threads on guys deleting the pumps on R56 minis. None of guys doing it on R60 / N18..

Anyone done it or tried.. I'm thinking about tying into my assumed low vacuum / controlability issue on ours tonight and thinking if the pump is weak it will get deleted and replaced with a vacuum can / check valves..

Anyone want to try and talk me out of it..
As a general rule, if a Manuf. installed a Vacuum pump on an engine, there's a REALLY good reason for it that won't be easily substituted by a vacuum storage tank and a set of check valves since a particular engine may not produce enough vacuum at a number of throttle openings or loads to safely run a Brake Booster or other vacuum tied operation that a stock Pump was installed to correctly operate.
I'm not understanding your post about assumed low vacuum..... Have you bought a cheap vacuum test gauge from a parts store and tee-d into a line to see what you actually have from your car?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 AM
ig109
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.. In this case however I think it was a design to make the controls / vacuum source the same across the range of engines..

There are several folks who have had success doing this on R56 cars.. which are very similar in design / operation.

I pulled my car apart and as I figured was met with a number of vacuum related issues..

Hoses all swelled.. leaks on every one.. oil in the system.. the entire storage tank is full of oil and I mean FULL..

So I am going to be using an existing port on the intake and running a storage tank in the cowl.. I am going to use good check valves and probably switch back to an OEM BPV to try and simplify the engine compartment a bit for my own taste..

Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Interested where this went? I know it’s old but an update would be nice to see. Especially since I don’t see how it can work on an N18