1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 mystery shake

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 PM
ahmed samir
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mystery shake

So I have an R60 S all4, less than two years ago both from wheel bearing were replaced, I still have a hint of shake in the wheel and a howling noise at highway speeds. I thought well it could be the winter tyres so I switched over to my All seasons, continentals, the thread depth is quite consistent per axel and only a tiny bit different between front and back.

The car has a shake that I can feel going throw my foot. It is there whether on power or costing and it somewhat stops when turning left.

Just wanted to know is anyone here has had problems like that. My first guess was my wheel bearing are on their way out again, they were changed first under warranty but here's the funny bit I spoke to the dealership to just chat up about the problem and since the parts are still under the two year manufacturer warranty. The service advisor said that since the car's warranty is expired the parts warranty is "void".

I am going to wait till the long weekend is over sir could speak with the GM who I know and seems sketch. Probably going to have to consumer protection if they dont want to cooperate.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:48 AM
jawilli6
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Ahmed,

I probably don't have a good answer but I'll try since you're 3 days without a response. I would have suggested checking tire balance but you have two sets of tires and the problem didn't get worse or better. As the bearings are new, my guess on the shake could be a loose tie rod end or worn ball joint, shaking goes away when turning left because the slop of the worn part is taken out by the angular force of turning. BUT, you say there is a growling noise also which to me does point towards a bearing. I know next to nothing on the drivetrain of these cars, but could the problem be the rear wheel bearings, you don't mention those as being changed when the front bearings were replaced.

Other info like year of car and mileage they were replaced and mileage now might be insightful to someone more knowledgeable here. For all we know you could've put 150k on the new bearings in 2 years.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:03 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Does it get any worse or change with any throttle? Mine was having some bad shake and noise and it turned out it was the CVs.

What did you torque the CV nut to? If that is too tight, it will kill the bearing very quickly. I replaced mine and just torqued the snot out of it....they were dead again within a year. Luckily it was within a part warranty so they gave me a replacement and it has been just over another year and they seem to be ok.