R60 AC issue - trying to diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 08:37 AM
Alex Reyentovich
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC issue - trying to diagnose

Hello I own a 2012 Countryman Base.
The AC was working fine yesterday. Now just today in 90 degree weather it started only blowing warm air.
I checked all fuses which came all back as ok. I can kind of feel when the AC compressor kicks on. Little power surge.
Checked Freon level with gauge and it shows that its almost over full. but still not in the red.

The radiator fan does not run when the AC is on. The radiator fan does run only in high speed when the engine temperature is high.
I though the fan should run no matter what when the AC is on. Is the not correct?

I have only one relay for the radiator fan. The other fan relay slot is empty. Came like this from factory and has always been ok until now. I guess this is just how it comes in a base model.
With one relay i don't even think it has a high/low speed function. But I can be wrong.
I am not sure what else to check before I just jump to it being a bad AC compressor.
Any advice? Can it be something with the fan maybe?
I did replace the radiator fan about 2 years ago because it would not turn on at all then. I am just not sure about how it should work with the AC on, if it should run at all times with AC on or is its normal to just run at high engine temps.
With one relay for the fan i don't even think it would have a high/low fan speed variance. How else would it be controlled? I can be wrong.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:55 AM
Alex Reyentovich
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just tested the radiator fan. It turns on after 230 degrees.
That's all. The fan does turn on only when the temps are at or above 230.
Does not matter if the AC is on or not. The AC does not turn on the fan.