2nd Gen Countryman (F60) Talk (2016-2024) Second Generation Countryman discussion. F60

F60 Hesitation/ lag during acceleration MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:51 PM
rapter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation/ lag during acceleration MT

Greetings.

We have a 2018 Countryman s with a manual transmission. Upon receiving the car we immediately noticed that the car hesitates or lags from a stop.

Specifically when accelerating in 1st gear and the clutch fully engaged the throttle response builds, then hesitates and then suddenly returns to normal...

In researching the BMW X1 this was a HUGE complaint which may have been fixed by a software update but the solution is not really clear.

In summary the following is observed based on the driving modes:

Eco mode: tremendous throttle lag from a stop, undeniable and dangerous to merge traffic in

Mid mode: notice throttle lag but not as bad as Eco mod

Sport mode: if you push the throttle and commit to a firm clutch engagement the throttle lag/ hesitation is minimal BUT any hesitation on the throttle will yield a lag in take off

Could others please comment on this?
Is there a solution that has been implemented ?

January 3rd 2018 update: this item has been resolved with the installation of a SprintBooster v3.

Installation was super easy and the throttle response can be soaked in via the SprintBooster provided controls. Amazing solution but frustrating that the car requires this...

Visit : https://www.sprintboostersales.com

Item resolved.

Last edited by rapter; 01-03-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 PM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rapter
Greetings.

We have a 2018 Countryman s with a manual transmission. Upon receiving the car we immediately noticed that the car hesitates or lags from a stop.

Specifically when accelerating in 1st gear and the clutch fully engaged the throttle response builds, then hesitates and then suddenly returns to normal...

In researching the BMW X1 this was a HUGE complaint which may have been fixed by a software update but the solution is not really clear.

In summary the following is observed based on the driving modes:

Eco mode: tremendous throttle lag from a stop, undeniable and dangerous to merge traffic in

Mid mode: notice throttle lag but not as bad as Eco mod

Sport mode: if you push the throttle and commit to a firm clutch engagement the throttle lag/ hesitation is minimal BUT any hesitation on the throttle will yield a lag in take off

Could others please comment on this?
Is there a solution that has been implemented ?
Although I have an automatic, I may have had a similar issue.
My story, I received my 2018 Countryman JCW early in October. Over the next two months I found myself disappointed with its performance. It was sluggish and hesitated on acceleration. I typically drove in "Mid" or "Sport" modes although I didn't notice much of a difference. Then on Thanksgiving night we were driving home from a friend's house and the "check engine" light came on. My code reader said "P00BD", indicating too much air flow according to the MAF sensor. I took it to my MINI dealer the next day.

Since I had to wait for a part they gave me a 2018 Countryman S to drive. I immediately noticed a much more spirited driving experience and much better throttle response. So what was wrong with my JCW?

They replaced the MAF sensor, cleared the code, then drove around for a while. The code came back. They then replaced the throttle body with a known good one from another vehicle on the lot. Again they cleared the code and drove around. This time, no more "Check Engine" light. They replaced the throttle body with a brand new one and again drove around. Everything was okay.

When I got the car back (they had put 100mi on "test driving"). Like the Countryman S, I immediately noticed much improved performance. No more stumbling, no more than just a very brief hesitation in "Mid" mode and no hesitation in "Sport". My JCW is now a pleasure to drive.

So, I guess I'm suggesting there may be a similar issue with your car. It's a thought.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:23 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Turbo lag is a reality in 4 cyl turbos, not just the CM. What doesn't help though is the weight of this vehicle. Not a whole lot you can do outside of aftermarket upgrades other than adjust your driving style to accommodate. You'll get used to it. I can't drive this thing in anything other than sport.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:09 AM
rapter
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MrFunk
Turbo lag is a reality in 4 cyl turbos, not just the CM. What doesn't help though is the weight of this vehicle. Not a whole lot you can do outside of aftermarket upgrades other than adjust your driving style to accommodate. You'll get used to it. I can't drive this thing in anything other than sport.
Thanks for your reply.

While I completely agree with you that turbo lag is something everyone has to live with, this is a matter of throttle position control and delivery engine power (independent of boost and independent of engine load of trying to move the vehicle).

There is a clear sensation of pushing the throttle and literally nothing happening.

I am wondering if others have this issue.

I Agreed that driving in sport is far better than in other modes with less lag.

Will likely look to the aftermarket for a gentle tune.

Last edited by rapter; 12-26-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:25 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I really don't have any issues or complaints with my MT Countryman S. Peak torque is low, power is on-tap all the time, and turbo lag is not troublesome. I briefly had a Nissan Juke. I know scary/dangerous turbo lag! This ain't it.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rapter
Thanks for your reply.

While I completely agree with you that turbo lag is something everyone has to live with, this is a matter of throttle position control and delivery engine power (independent of boost and independent of engine load of trying to move the vehicle).

There is a clear sensation of pushing the throttle and literally nothing happening.

I am wondering if others have this issue.

I Agreed that driving in sport is far better than in other modes with less lag.

Will likely look to the aftermarket for a gentle tune.
Totally agree.
The throttle position mapping is not great.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:18 AM
rapter
1st Gear
Has anyone contacted their dealer to discuss an update to the throttle map?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The only Mode where I find it annoying is in Green with our Manual CM S. What's interesting is that my Auto trans equipped Clubman, also in Green Mode, doesn't give me the same lackluster performance that the CM does. I think their weight difference isn't that much, right, between the two cars.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:17 PM
rapter
1st Gear
Hello all,

Wanted to close the loop on this thread. This item has been resolved via the installation of a sprint booster.

https://www.sprintboostersales.com

Item resolved.