2nd Gen Countryman (F60) Talk (2016-2024) Second Generation Countryman discussion. F60

F60 Stuttering Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 04:38 PM
cnzlr out
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stuttering Acceleration

Have an AW4 S model with automatic transmission. When either in traffic or moving from a dead stop there is a stutter or jerky acceleration when in ‘green mode’. Doesn’t happen when the vehicle is warming up(cold) nor does it happen in ‘mid’ or ‘sport’ modes. Possibly happening in the other modes but not really noticeable at least. I’m not slamming the pedal, just easing into the throttle. Dealership says ‘green’ mode shouldn’t be used aggressively. I guess easing into the pedal is “aggressive”. Anyone else experience this or have it resolved?

Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello. I have as well, usually once it’s warmed up and in ANY mode. Irritating for sure.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:39 PM
cnzlr out
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 07PepperS
Hello. I have as well, usually once it’s warmed up and in ANY mode. Irritating for sure.
Did you ever take it in to be checked out?

Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
Nope not yet. I have this on my list as well, gooooo

Attached Thumbnails Stuttering Acceleration-b9ea0647-7bc9-45c6-9ddf-e8c558e0a626.jpeg   Stuttering Acceleration-b315a1fb-ea6e-4b67-ae91-0e19c15d7705.jpeg  
Old 09-13-2019, 06:40 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 07PepperS
Nope not yet. I have this on my list as well, gooooo
Get used to it... 26 months in and mine still oozes from time to time.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:21 AM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
That’s disappointing as it has oddly stained the plastic trim but the painted bumper is ok so far.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:44 AM
sdupp
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cnzlr out
Have an AW4 S model with automatic transmission. When either in traffic or moving from a dead stop there is a stutter or jerky acceleration when in ‘green mode’. Doesn’t happen when the vehicle is warming up(cold) nor does it happen in ‘mid’ or ‘sport’ modes. Possibly happening in the other modes but not really noticeable at least. I’m not slamming the pedal, just easing into the throttle. Dealership says ‘green’ mode shouldn’t be used aggressively. I guess easing into the pedal is “aggressive”. Anyone else experience this or have it resolved?
We have similar problem and had the dealer do a test drive. Only thing they came up with was to Reset Adaptations in Transmission Control. It's my wife's car and she says so far no more bucking or jerky hesitation. So will see over time if it worked... We only use mid mode, he said to try sport mode if it continues to happen. Maybe just dealer run around who knows. Time will tell.

The following users liked this post:
seamonkey420 (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 09:23 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sdupp
We have similar problem and had the dealer do a test drive. Only thing they came up with was to Reset Adaptations in Transmission Control. It's my wife's car and she says so far no more bucking or jerky hesitation. So will see over time if it worked... We only use mid mode, he said to try sport mode if it continues to happen. Maybe just dealer run around who knows. Time will tell.
that is actually a thing. i believe i have to have my R58's reset since she's acting a bit weird in sport mode and hard accelleration but is ok in manual mode.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Ryanfromnj
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think this is the auto stop/start function. When green mode is turned in, i think this is turned on by default. When you come to a stop the engine will shutoff. When u accelerate the engine turns on giving the stutter sensation.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:16 AM
cnzlr out
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryanfromnj
I think this is the auto stop/start function. When green mode is turned in, i think this is turned on by default. When you come to a stop the engine will shutoff. When u accelerate the engine turns on giving the stutter sensation.
This is an interesting idea. I’ll need to check this out and turn off the start/stop function. I feel better that others have experienced the stuttering and its not in my head. (Although I not happy about our common problem) Thanks for the input.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:47 PM
cnzlr out
1st Gear
Nope. Didn’t matter if start/stop mode was on or off.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:40 PM
Fred_B
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I experienced a little bit of stuttering (Cooper S AWD) in hot weather with 91 octane Shell, in the lower revs.
No issues when going up to 93 octane fuel. I use Costco Premium now.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Is the auto trans a dual clutch? Do you think it's a clutch issue with moisture or similar? I used to have an MT car that would shudder when taking up 1st gear only when it was hot.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:41 AM
mattyb13
3rd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought my 2019 Iconic F60 ALL4S in FL in May. It oozes goo. My dealer said they will replace any panels that are stained by that goo under warranty. Mine has leaked some but not NEARLY as bad as yours. That would drive me nuts.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 AM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
Hello all

great information as both of my trim moldings is stained.

I’m still 6k away from my first maintenance appt

Last edited by 07PepperS; 10-11-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:16 PM
HighVelocity
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Goo is wax sprayed to cover all exposed metal parts to protect from oxidation, it will go away after several days of hot weather.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:35 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
take it to the dealership. they will clean it up and replace any parts that were discolored by it. Its a well known issue

Old 03-23-2021, 05:18 AM
Karan Aggarwal
Neutral
Hi.. Has anybody found a solution for the stuttering.. Its really irritating.. Would be of great help.. Have a 2018 F60 Cooper S.. Stutters while accelerating at low speeds in all modes though green is the worst.. Have tried things like resetting software from after which worked fine for a couple of hours and then the same once it warms up..Recently I reset the driver profile after which the car worked fine for 80 odd kms and the issue was back though its less frequent now but still happens..

Last edited by Karan Aggarwal; 03-31-2021 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:48 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Karan Aggarwal
Hi.. Has anybody found a solution for the stuttering.. Its really irritating.. Would be of great help.. Have a 2018 F60 Cooper S.. Stutters while accelerating at low speeds in all modes though green is the worst.. Have tried a few things like resetting software from the hidden menu after which worked fine for a couple of hours and then the same once it warms up..Recently I reset the driver profile after which the car worked fine for 80 odd kms and the issue was back though its less frequent now but still happens..
Without reading the codes (if any) that the engine computer is throwing, any recommendations will be a shot in the dark. That said, we bought a high mileage 2 year old 2018 F60 Cooper S two years ago and we were feeling a hesitancy at part throttle and it was most obvious in Mid and Green modes, presumably because the engine was operating at lower revs in those modes. I have since replaced the cheapo Champion brand spark plugs that were in it (?!) with BMW-spec NGKs and also the coil packs. These are cheap DIY fixes and the car is doing absolutely great since. BTW, my car didn't actually throw codes, so the computer obviously thought this was nominal operation as they say at NASA.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:34 AM
Karan Aggarwal
Neutral
Originally Posted by eric.stewart
Without reading the codes (if any) that the engine computer is throwing, any recommendations will be a shot in the dark. That said, we bought a high mileage 2 year old 2018 F60 Cooper S two years ago and we were feeling a hesitancy at part throttle and it was most obvious in Mid and Green modes, presumably because the engine was operating at lower revs in those modes. I have since replaced the cheapo Champion brand spark plugs that were in it (?!) with BMW-spec NGKs and also the coil packs. These are cheap DIY fixes and the car is doing absolutely great since. BTW, my car didn't actually throw codes, so the computer obviously thought this was nominal operation as they say at NASA.
My car too isnt giving any codes and it is luckily under extended warranty so took the car to my BMW dealer and since then they have tried fixing it twice and both the times the car started giving the issue again within a few kms after its warmed up. They told me it was a programming issue the first time and the 2nd time they said they updated the software and should be fine.. Really getting fed up since its a nagging issue and just doesnt leave.. Though its not as regular as earlier it still persists..

Old 03-28-2021, 11:40 AM
Karan Aggarwal
Neutral
Originally Posted by sdupp
Hey.. Was your problem solved ? My dealer doesnt have a clue what to do abt it.. Already took the car twice without any luck..

Old 03-28-2021, 04:19 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Hey.. Was your problem solved ? My dealer doesnt have a clue what to do abt it.. Already took the car twice without any luck..
Hey @Karan Aggarwal I see that you also quoted @sdupp 's post from almost 2 years ago where he said that he'd cleared the adaptations and that also seemed to help. I can also say that I did the same thing with my Snap-on brand code tool and that also seemed to make a difference. It's pretty clear that there are 2 possible culprits, one being the transmission controller's shift logic and the other one being spark related, either in the coil packs or the plugs. I have done both and between both, the car seems so much smoother.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:54 PM
Karan Aggarwal
Neutral
Hey @Karan Aggarwal I see that you also quoted @sdupp 's post from almost 2 years ago where he said that he'd cleared the adaptations and that also seemed to help. I can also say that I did the same thing with my Snap-on brand code tool and that also seemed to make a difference. It's pretty clear that there are 2 possible culprits, one being the transmission controller's shift logic and the other one being spark related, either in the coil packs or the plugs. I have done both and between both, the car seems so much smoother.
Have you been able to get rid of the problem completely or it still happens occasionally? Mine too feels much better and the pickup and shifts have improved as well after its back from the dealer but the issue has not disappeared and keeps reappearing.. I am assuming my dealer did clear the adaptations since he told me they reprogrammed and updated ecu software.. Since my car's under extended warranty didnt want to do anything by myself since that just gives them an excuse to not honour the warranty.. My car's only done abt 7500 miles so i doubt it must be spark related.. Best to visit the dealer again and try my luck..

Old 03-28-2021, 05:05 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Have you been able to get rid of the problem completely or it still happens occasionally? Mine too feels much better and the pickup and shifts have improved as well after its back from the dealer but the issue has not disappeared and keeps reappearing.. I am assuming my dealer did clear the adaptations since he told me they reprogrammed and updated ecu software.. Since my car's under extended warranty didnt want to do anything by myself since that just gives them an excuse to not honour the warranty.. My car's only done abt 7500 miles so i doubt it must be spark related.. Best to visit the dealer again and try my luck..
For sure the DIY cures should be saved for when the vehicle isn’t under warranty. I can’t be positive that I’ve permanently exorcised the demons and my car has 85000 miles on it. But, I’m hopeful. Good luck and let us know what you find out, please.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:11 PM
Karan Aggarwal
Neutral
For sure the DIY cures should be saved for when the vehicle isn’t under warranty. I can’t be positive that I’ve permanently exorcised the demons and my car has 85000 miles on it. But, I’m hopeful. Good luck and let us know what you find out, please.
Thanks a lot.. Yes I will.. Cheers 👍