2nd Gen Countryman (F60) Talk (2016-2024) Second Generation Countryman discussion. F60

F60 Recurring Light System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 AM
BootMKR
Neutral
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Recurring Light System Malfunction

Hey all,

The Misses picked up a 2018 Countryman S all4 July of 19. It was a retired service loaner and worked out perfectly as it was the same car she test drove a year prior.

Everything met expectations and its been a great car. We took the car camping and on the highway drive up she got an alert for a lighting system malfunction. We pulled over and checked that all lights were working as they should. Headlights/turn signals/reverse lights/emergency flashers all working correctly. We ok'd the error and kept driving. We hadnt seen the alert again since but we stopped at the dealership she got the car from to check out some things on my GP before going to Mackinac and had them check the key for error messages etc and everything seemed normal. We continued with the trip and had the error come back a few more times on the highway and back roads. I tried to replicate the error and was not able to, again all lights seemed to be working correctly.

After the trip we called Mini and described what we were seeing and took the car up to have it checked over and after a week, they were not able to replicate the issues or find any damage/shorts in wiring. We got the car back and the alert returned the next day. We tried to replicate and couldn't force the alert to come on. So we took the car back up to be checked out again. The Service tech daily drove the car for the week and didn't get the alert we picked up the car and after getting home the Alert came back. This time Mini came down and picked up the car. They checked the car more thoroughly, replaced the battery and reset the system. We got the car back and went a week or so without issues before the alert came back. We saw the alert 13 times over a half mile stretch of road. This time we actually were able to see that from going to park and reverse that the right back up light went off after the left. Car went back to dealership and checked out again with the issue not coming back. Car returned to us. Drove the car for a bit longer and one morning she got the alert after she parked and noticed the high beams were turning on and off on their own with the car turned off. Car went back and they replaced the body control module from the advisement of Mini/BMW service guy that was in town from Germany. The car did have to go back to have Navigation and CarPlay setup as it was missed during setup after the BCM replacement.

So after 4 months of ownership the car had been at the dealer about a month and a half for this issue. We have not had the issue since the replacement of the Body Control Module and she is ecstatic to have her car back.

I am ultimately posting this as I have not been able to find any mention of the issue with this car and the light system malfunction on the internet.

**This is aimed to be informational and I am in no way bashing the dealership or MINI. They took very good care of us throughout this whole process.**

Thanks y'all

Last edited by BootMKR; 11-06-2019 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sdupp (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:11 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
I searched on Body Control Module because my 2017 Clubman ALL4 S is sitting at the dealer right now waiting for a new one. I didn't experience your issues, but have had my front marker lights stop working twice now. Neither time did I get any warning lights or buzzers. The first time, the dealer noticed it for the annual State Safety Inspection. At that time they replace the lights, which didn't fix the problem and then they updated the software and that fixed the issue. Since I will be out of warranty at the end of this month I thought would be a good idea to have the dealer do a service and check the car for any updates, etc. Prior to scheduling this, I noticed my front marker lights were out again. I thought it might be a good idea to get this covered under warranty, again and established that they are an issue. Since I have the LED light package and they don't stock these lights, they had to order them. Again, reprogramming the computer fixed the issue. Coincidently, the dealer was having one of the regional techs come by and check out some other cars and had him look at mine. He recommended replacement of the BCM. Hopefully, this will take care of the issue, permanently.....fingers crossed.

The following users liked this post:
BootMKR (11-06-2019)