2nd Gen Countryman (F60) Talk (2016-2024) Second Generation Countryman discussion. F60

F60 Runflat Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022 | 05:07 PM
Sailorlite
|
3rd Gear
Runflat Tires?

Does the 2022 Countryman S All-4 come with runflat tires? I'm hoping the answer is No.

Old 06-21-2022 | 08:08 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Yes.

Old 06-22-2022 | 09:08 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
When they wear out I have been running Falcon all weather non-run flats. They have lasted the longest of any tires on my Mini’s. The OEM rubber is good for a max of 20k the way I drive.

Old 06-22-2022 | 10:40 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Let me preface this by saying that I have owned several BMW's, and one MINI so far, that all came with run-flat tires from the factory. Replacing those tires with regular tires was something I did virtually immediately after delivery. I hate run-flat tires, with a passion. But then we test drove an F60 with run-flat tires and honestly, it didn't seem that bad. Maybe the increased wheel travel and overall softer suspension of the F60 relative to the F5X cars and various sporty BMW's is enough to eliminate the impact harshness that is so typical of run-flat tires? We're picking up our 2023 Untamed Countryman this coming Saturday, which of course has factory run-flat tires. We'll see how long I can stand them

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCGLX:
am0eba (06-25-2022), Sailorlite (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 12:23 PM
Sailorlite
|
3rd Gear
On another car I removed the runflats at about 6K miles and then sold them to a guy who was returning his leased car that had come new with runflats. His were too worn, so he popped on my used ones and turned in his lease. He was happy, and I was happy to partially pay for my new non-runflats.

Old 06-23-2022 | 05:36 PM
MiniMAX1000
1st Gear
Urp

I've had a couple of MINIs which came with runflat tires. My current Countryman S has high road noise with
the runflats only on well-worn or otherwise very rough-textured roads.

For most driving conditions, the runflats have served well-enough. I don't like road noise, but it's not a constant
problem. On the other hand, not having to worry about being stranded if I get a flat is a very pleasant state of mind.

It's possible that I'll go with higher-performance, better-wearing and quieter tires when the time comes. On the other hand
changing to a non-runflat tire means putting together a puncture kit, jack and/or a spare tire/wheel.

I also think there are other matters in life that exceed in significance the underperforming but comforting runflat tire.

The following 3 users liked this post by MiniMAX1000:
eric.stewart (06-30-2022), mikey_t (06-24-2022), Seabiscuit (05-08-2023)
Old 06-30-2022 | 03:29 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear
Veteran: Canadian Forces
People have a hate-on for run-flats.
  • Observation #1: The car's suspension is engineered & tuned for the tires' properties.
  • Observation #2: The car will "ride better" without them.
  • Observation #3: There's more of a selection of non run-flat tires and they're cheaper.
About observation #2: Absolutely yes! But, will it handle better? -- see Observation #1. You may find that you have taken away some of the essential MINI-ness of the car's handling when you opt for the softer ride of the non run-flats. I prefer a firm suspension/tire combination and I believe I get that with the OEM tires. I also have the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) on my 2018 Countryman S, so maybe it makes the suspension more supple, but I've driven others' cars with run-flats and also loaners, and I have no issue with the OE tires.

I'll go out on a limb and possibly offend some people by saying that most peoples' choices are dictated by Observation #3, seasoned with a bit of justification. Just buy a jack/spare kit or fix-a-flat if you do, but this ain't me!

Old 06-30-2022 | 05:30 PM
razz
3rd Gear
I've owned two previous MINIs delivered with runflats (R53, R60). Like countless others, I hated he road noise, handling, and shorter tread life (less than 30k miles). I'm now on my 3rd MINI, an F60, also delivered with runflats, and my opinion has changed. Though the tires are same model as the others (Pirelli Cinturato P7), the handling seems improved and road noise is definitely much lower -- still too early to report on tread wear. I don't know whether the F60 is better tuned for these tires, or the tires are improved, or both, but I really don't care. All I know is, when these wear out (as long as they last reasonably long enough), I'm replacing them with the same.

The following 2 users liked this post by razz:
eric.stewart (06-30-2022), Sailorlite (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022 | 06:52 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eric.stewart
People have a hate-on for run-flats.
  • Observation #1: The car's suspension is engineered & tuned for the tires' properties.
  • Observation #2: The car will "ride better" without them.
  • Observation #3: There's more of a selection of non run-flat tires and they're cheaper.
About observation #2: Absolutely yes! But, will it handle better? -- see Observation #1. You may find that you have taken away some of the essential MINI-ness of the car's handling when you opt for the softer ride of the non run-flats. I prefer a firm suspension/tire combination and I believe I get that with the OEM tires. I also have the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) on my 2018 Countryman S, so maybe it makes the suspension more supple, but I've driven others' cars with run-flats and also loaners, and I have no issue with the OE tires.

I'll go out on a limb and possibly offend some people by saying that most peoples' choices are dictated by Observation #3, seasoned with a bit of justification. Just buy a jack/spare kit or fix-a-flat if you do, but this ain't me!
I've owned numerous cars with run-flat tires, mostly BMW's. Observation #1 is a myth. Proof can be seen in BMW's and MINI's that offer non-run-flat tires as factory options. All suspension parts are the same between them, model for model. This has been debunked in the BMW world where run-flat tires have been common for probably upwards of 20 years. In fact, experts on the matter would argue that the increased weight of run-flat tires offsets any perceived increase in turn-in feel you might encounter with the stiffer sidewalls of run-flat tires.

Observation #2 is correct. Standard tires do not need the overly stiff sidewalls that are necessary to be able to drive on an air-less tire. Because of this, they have less impact harshness. This is a fact, though the degree to which there is less impact harshness can vary by tire make/model, as not all tires in the same size are created equal and each still has their own personality, if you will.

Observation #3, definitely not across the board. Yes, regular tires CAN be less expensive than run-flat tires, but not necessarily. I know I've never replaced perfectly good factory-supplied run-flat tires with regular tires almost immediately after delivery to save money 😉

The truth of the matter is, manufacturers provide run-flat tires because it costs them less money than providing a spare and a jack, it costs less space (lots of makes/models don't even have space for a spare anymore), and in some cases it decreases the overall weight of a vehicle. Even on some makes/models that offer non-run-flat tires as a factory option, a spare still isn't offered. And if they do offer a spare, it's at a cost to the buyer. There's a reason that hybrids, EVs, and high performance most often don't come with run-flat tires. But to each their own, some people love the idea of being able to not deal with a tire that's low on air or flat, and they'd rather completely sacrifice the tire in the name of mobility than pull over and deal with a spare or a can of Slime. For them, it works out. For the rest of us, we recognize that the likelihood of getting a flat that does not allow you to continue is a rather rare occurrence and we're willing to deal with the potential inconvenience of a flat tire (roadside assistance is free with every new MINI, and services like AAA are inexpensive) and gain the real and tangible benefits every time you drive the car that regular tires provide over run-flat tires.

The following users liked this post:
hsautocrosser (08-31-2022)
Old 07-01-2022 | 08:18 PM
MiniMAX1000
1st Gear
I agree

The above post makes a lot of sense, except:

"We recognize that the likelihood of getting a flat that does not allow you to continue is a rather rare occurrence and we're willing to deal with the potential inconvenience of a flat tire (roadside assistance is free with every new MINI, and services like AAA are inexpensive) and gain the real and tangible benefits every time you drive the car that regular tires provide over run-flat tire."

I don't know the numbers for "rather rare" but I know for sure that getting a flat and waiting for "free roadside assistance" from whatever assistance provider
can surely run a day or maybe a few days.

Just thinking about it spoils my appetite even for pizza. Back in the day getting a flat and hauling out the spare might mean losing up to an hour. It was
not a big threat to ordinary life. The very stupid failure of carmakers to provide sensible solutions to flat tires certainly makes runflat tires most attractive compared to the other contemporary approaches involving slimes, puncture kits, battery-powered pumps, etc.

The fact that so many expensive cars come with runflats tells a story worth taking seriously.

Old 07-02-2022 | 03:34 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear
@NBCGLX I totally understand your opinion, but you are pivoting (and your whole logic is building) on the premise that the suspension on our BMW-engineered German cars is not tuned to the tires it comes with. Having driven numerous cars on and off the race track, the difference in —— well, everything —- including suspension feel and grip, vary immensely from tire to tire. A stiffer-walled run-flat even more so. Run-flat tires will get you off the road to somewhere someone can fetch you or to a repair facility.

We’ll probably continue to think differently, but I’m simply saying that there’s much to consider when ditching run-flats beyond the obvious and people should know the metrics of that decision.

Old 07-02-2022 | 04:20 AM
Mini-Titan
4th Gear
I didn't mind the run-flats on my 18 inch JCW Countryman, but, the traction wasn't good. When I switched to Goodyear Exhilarates on a 1/2 inch wider wheel, NOW I have the traction this car deserves to have. The new tires seem softer over sharp hits (cracks, reflectors). I have an OEM wheel/run-flat I carry in the back as a spare, held tight to one side with a cargo net, as well as a tire-plug kit, pump, and Scissor Jack with the top modified to fit the jack points. I place the wheel face-down, and use the inner cavity as a storage compartment. I lost 1-1.5 mpg by changing tires, this may be partly because the Pirelli's are a harder compound, and perhaps the Goodyears are simply not as free-rolling. Will probably go to something like Michelin PS4's next time...I understand from those that have them that they perform admirably.

If I didn't put new wheels on my car, I'd buy an OEM-sized wheel, and mount a run-flat on it, and have the systems I now have to deal with flats. I don't want to run my All4 with an odd-sized tire...not after learning about the GKN Hang-on Clutch system in my car...which has it's own ECU and it is all tied into the traction control and ABS sensors. The All4 system wouldn't be happy with an odd-sized wheel running on one corner...so, that makes an odd-diameter solution undesirable in my opinion.

Seabiscuit (05-08-2023)
Old 07-02-2022 | 06:19 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMAX1000
The above post makes a lot of sense, except:

"We recognize that the likelihood of getting a flat that does not allow you to continue is a rather rare occurrence and we're willing to deal with the potential inconvenience of a flat tire (roadside assistance is free with every new MINI, and services like AAA are inexpensive) and gain the real and tangible benefits every time you drive the car that regular tires provide over run-flat tire."

I don't know the numbers for "rather rare" but I know for sure that getting a flat and waiting for "free roadside assistance" from whatever assistance provider
can surely run a day or maybe a few days.

Just thinking about it spoils my appetite even for pizza. Back in the day getting a flat and hauling out the spare might mean losing up to an hour. It was
not a big threat to ordinary life. The very stupid failure of carmakers to provide sensible solutions to flat tires certainly makes runflat tires most attractive compared to the other contemporary approaches involving slimes, puncture kits, battery-powered pumps, etc.

The fact that so many expensive cars come with runflats tells a story worth taking seriously.
I’ve driven at least 20,000 miles a year for the last 15-ish years. Do you know how many flat tires I’ve had in those 300,000+ miles that prevented me from driving altogether? None. Have I had slow leaks, unexpected or known? Of course. Have I been able to fill the tire with air and continue to a point where I could get the tire repaired or come up with another solution? Every time. But you know, I do as you’re supposed to, I regularly check my tire pressures, and I purposefully watch for road hazards like potholes. I have a (simple) plan in place to deal with a flat tire, including a TPMS-safe Slime kit, in each of my cars (which is often the factory-provided solution to lack of a spare, but the way) in case I do actually get a fully flat tire, and I have Roadside Assistance/AAA as a backup. Run-flat tires have their purpose for people who don’t want to deal with flat tires. I get it, but there are trade offs that many people are not willing to accept and would rather chance a rare flat tire.

Old 07-02-2022 | 06:45 AM
Mini-Titan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
I’ve driven at least 20,000 miles a year for the last 15-ish years. Do you know how many flat tires I’ve had in those 300,000+ miles that prevented me from driving altogether? None. Have I had slow leaks, unexpected or known? Of course. Have I been able to fill the tire with air and continue to a point where I could get the tire repaired or come up with another solution? Every time.
Good anecdote. I also go by an old saying: 90% of tire problems occur during the final 10% of useable tread life. I don't hesitate to put new tires on...it's the only thing touching the earth that allows me to have traction. That said, my daughter ran over a bolt that kicked up just right to go through the rear tire. Immediate loss of pressure and dead flat. I did something similar hitting a brake pad backing that I didn't see in the road...immediate loss of pressure and dead flat...as I slowed down, I was able to turn right into a tire repair shop! Very lucky.

eric.stewart (07-05-2022)
Old 07-02-2022 | 11:37 AM
MiniMAX1000
1st Gear
Stats vs anecdote

"I’ve driven at least 20,000 miles a year for the last 15-ish years. Do you know how many flat tires I’ve had in those 300,000+ miles that prevented me from driving altogether? None."

"Good anecdote."

"I do as you’re supposed to, I regularly check my tire pressures, and I purposefully watch for road hazards like potholes."

As I've always done, and do and suppose that most thoughtful drivers do.

Perhaps I need to point out that there are great differences between driver's environments and driving experiences. West of the Mississippi a driver can be
very quickly in an isolated rural area in which road service is exceedingly sparce if it exists at all. And, of course, how many punctures or other tire damage occurs can vary widely. Such certainly has for me. With one car (not runflat equipped but with a spare) I had several flats over only a couple of years. With
other cars, I drove several years without a single flat.

If you drive many miles a year on busy roads whose surfaces are regularly swept of puncture-causing debris by the high volume of traffic, you may go a major part of a lifetime without a flat tire. On the other hand if your driving is on suburban arterials where contractors' trucks make up a large portion of traffic, you are likely to get a flat now and then. Don't ask me how I know this.

The fact that many high-end cars are sold with runflat tires suggests, at least to me, that many drivers prefer the convenience of runflat tires. If most high-end car buyers did not like runflats, I'm certain that far fewer runflat-equipped cars would be sold. Of course some folks think changing a flat tire is entertaining, but I suspect that most people find it intimidating or worse. I think that's the way the world works these days of spendid convenience in all things. I suspect that carmakers study statistics rather than read anecdotes about tire preferences.

Last edited by MiniMAX1000; 07-02-2022 at 11:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MiniMAX1000:
eric.stewart (07-03-2022), Mini-Titan (07-02-2022)
Old 07-03-2022 | 02:55 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMAX1000
"I’ve driven at least 20,000 miles a year for the last 15-ish years. Do you know how many flat tires I’ve had in those 300,000+ miles that prevented me from driving altogether? None."

"Good anecdote."

"I do as you’re supposed to, I regularly check my tire pressures, and I purposefully watch for road hazards like potholes."

As I've always done, and do and suppose that most thoughtful drivers do.

Perhaps I need to point out that there are great differences between driver's environments and driving experiences. West of the Mississippi a driver can be
very quickly in an isolated rural area in which road service is exceedingly sparce if it exists at all. And, of course, how many punctures or other tire damage occurs can vary widely. Such certainly has for me. With one car (not runflat equipped but with a spare) I had several flats over only a couple of years. With
other cars, I drove several years without a single flat.

If you drive many miles a year on busy roads whose surfaces are regularly swept of puncture-causing debris by the high volume of traffic, you may go a major part of a lifetime without a flat tire. On the other hand if your driving is on suburban arterials where contractors' trucks make up a large portion of traffic, you are likely to get a flat now and then. Don't ask me how I know this.

The fact that many high-end cars are sold with runflat tires suggests, at least to me, that many drivers prefer the convenience of runflat tires. If most high-end car buyers did not like runflats, I'm certain that far fewer runflat-equipped cars would be sold. Of course some folks think changing a flat tire is entertaining, but I suspect that most people find it intimidating or worse. I think that's the way the world works these days of spendid convenience in all things. I suspect that carmakers study statistics rather than read anecdotes about tire preferences.
Exactly this. I am the exception to many rules LOL. I also don't second guess the BMW engineers. I know which type of tire I'd rather be on if I have a flat in the middle of a disreputable area of the city or out in the boonies.

Old 07-03-2022 | 02:26 PM
MiniMAX1000
1st Gear
A little research reveals

A bit of research supports many of the statements of posters in this thread.

Runflats comprise about 15% of the tire market. Brands that mostly provide runflats on new cars include BMW, MINI and Mercedes. Cadillacs can also
come with runflats. This suggests that runflats are just fine with most high-end, performance car owners. MINI owners may be an exception: many MINIs
are purchased used, many are modified in superficial ways and MINIs appeal to drivers who don't necessarily buy expensive new performance cars.

Runflats are indeed constructed for high performance: tread designs are appropriate and tread materials are softer for better grip and ride. Manufacturers
who provide runflats on new cars do provide suspension settings that are appropriate.

Runflats can indeed be repaired, provided the puncture is in the tread area and is not too large.

Because runflats are popular with purchasers of high-performance cars (who also value their time highly and have little interest in doing things like replacing original tires or changing flats or mowing lawns for that matter) there is a lot of research going into their improvement. My 22 Countryman S came with Goodyear performance runflats and perform well-enough, with only some noise on some types of pavement.

The following 3 users liked this post by MiniMAX1000:
eric.stewart (07-03-2022), Mini-Titan (07-04-2022), razz (07-03-2022)