R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 no delay wipers on a $27,600 mini?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
fixman2k
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no delay wipers on a $27,600 mini?

With as much as it rains off and on in Oxford where the mini was born, I miss a delay wiper that I can speed up or slow down. Is there something I missed in a package that had that on my 2010 S ?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fixman2k
With as much as it rains off and on in Oxford where the mini was born, I miss a delay wiper that I can speed up or slow down. Is there something I missed in a package that had that on my 2010 S ?
Have you checked your manual for the instructions on how to use the Auto Wipers. This is not to say that they are actually installed but they are different that many cars out there.

On the end of the stalk is a button that when pressed in will activate the Auto Wipers (if installed) and they will wipe as needed depending on the amount of rain that falls on the front windscreen.

There is an adjustment in the computer settings that will adjust the amount of rain that is needed to cause a wipe action.

Check it out on you car. As I stated they may not be installed and i am not sure if they were standard on the 10's but I know on the 08 cars is was either part of a package or stand alone feature, but they were not standard on the US version. Other country versions "will" have different options as standard though.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by delay wipers. Do you mean an intermittent speed? Every mini has at least three wiper speeds.

Last edited by Creeve; 11-17-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No, you all missed his question - he wanted to know if there was an adjustable intermittant delay setting - meaning can he change the delay time between wipes - the answer is no.

And I'm very disappointed that this feature missing too, on a car that costs this much.

And for those who point me back to the automatic wipers - I had those on my previous MINI and they were miserable - and there was no adjustment there either - they simply wiped when they felt like it.

I wonder if there is an aftermarket kit I could adapt?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
BMW rarely puts adjustable delay wipers in their cars. Mostly it is one just one speed-dependent intermittent setting.

For the R56 I haven't seen any way to adjust it, but I will double-check the next time I look at the NCS trace files.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2010 manual states that the interval time is preset rather than dependent on vehicle speed.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know when you stop they get slower. For example low speed goes to delay at a stop.

So they are speed dependant in that respect.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 11-17-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, but that's still not a driver adjustable delay setting, is it?

There are times (ie:light misting) when the delay is still too frequent, and other times when it's not frequent enough, but you still don't need them running constantly.

The idea is that the automatic wipers will adjust according to conditions, but they don't - at least well enough to suit me - which is why I didn't order them on my '09. Imagine my surprise (and disappointment) when I got my car and there was no manual adjustment either!

Strobeyprobey, hope you find something that will let me add a speed pot, or stepped delay or something.....

Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
you bought a low price vehicle

but loaded it up with options

and now want to know why the standard equipment of this low price vehicle does not match that as the low end of a high price vehicle

my Hondas have a slow speed wiper and a high speed .. no variable

if the wipers on my 79 come on at all I'm happy

Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Add PIAA super silicon curved wiper blades and your attention will be on the way they make the water bead and scoop it up in the curve. So efficient at gathering the water, the passenger side throws water bead streams across the drivers side.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj

and now want to know why the standard equipment of this low price vehicle does not match that as the low end of a high price vehicle

I don't think MINI's are considered low price vehicles. Any model with even the most basic equipment is going to get you in the 20,000 dollar range. If you want an S, that goes up to 25,000 easy. All my previous cars including my 93 Accord have had variable wipers.

I too think that MINI should have put a variable wiper on these cars.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 PM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had interval wipers on every new car I've ever owned including my first-a "low end" 1985 Dodge Charger. I don't think it's asking too much to have interval wipers. I certainly don't think it's a "high end" feature. I agree with the OP that it should have some system for interval wipers. As it is, it sux.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 PM
56carnut
1st Gear
So glad you brought this up this point. My last test drive was during a light misty rain and I was trying to find the intermittent wiper adjustment. My salesman was new and didn't quite understand what I was looking for. Obviously, there isn't one. I've got one on my 19k Mazda 3 that works great. Guess Mini overlooked it for some reason. I had the rain sensing wipers on my Mercedes c230 and wasn't impressed with them. A friend of mine has a 2009 Mazda 6 and he loves the rain sensing wipers on his car. Maybe it is just a matter of adjusting the sensitivity which Mini does offer.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
" I agree with the OP that it should have some system for interval wipers. "

Just to be clear: The 2010 does have intermittent wipers. Press the button in the end of the stalk to turn them on. The complaint here is that you can't adjust how frequently they wipe.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
My buddy's 1980 Trans Am had variable-speed intermittent wipers. It's not rocket science. C'mon, Mini. OTOH, my Element, which cost about the same as my Mini, doesn't have them either. Maybe the secret died with Pontiac.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rain Sensing Wipers are in a sense, Intermittent/Intervaled what ever you call it. You can adjust when the wipers wipe, a little mist *wipe* or a Heavier Rain *wipe*, the adjustment is made in the OBC. Pgs. 44-45 of the 2008 Owner's Manual explain the Rain Sensing Wiper settings.

Last edited by RJKimbell; 11-17-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Just put Rain-X on the windshield. You won't need the wipers unless it's pouring rain!

Dave

Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Oh well, the rest of the car makes up for lacking that small detail...

Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 PM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
The thing is the rain sensing, speed sensitive wipers is the high end, it's sort of a convenience, "You set it and forget it" kinda deal. You'll find them on every BMW. The problem is it isn't quite on par to human standard of adjustability. Personally, i much prefer the "OLD" manually adjusted intermittent wipers. Had it with the FJ, never felt the wipers speed is right so adjustment is constant.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Project Mangler
My buddy's 1980 Trans Am had variable-speed intermittent wipers. It's not rocket science. C'mon, Mini. OTOH, my Element, which cost about the same as my Mini, doesn't have them either. Maybe the secret died with Pontiac.
My 1979 Firebird had them too, but they were an option. They were called "Pulse Wipers" and were option code CD4.

Let me add that there is a guy who owns the patent for the adjustable delay. If any car manufacturer wants to offer adjustable delay, they have to pay him a royalty. Possibly, BMW/MINI just doesn't want to?

Last edited by Walt; 11-18-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The '87 Civic, that my MINI replaced, also had an intermittent setting, but as with the MINI, no adjustment of the delay between wipes was possible.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
No, you all missed his question - he wanted to know if there was an adjustable intermittant delay setting - meaning can he change the delay time between wipes - the answer is no.
Actually NO i did not miss his point. There IS an adjustment it is just not a convenient as on other car. Read my post, paragraph #3 I stated there is an adjustment. It my not be the exact adjustment he is looking for but there is an adjustment.

And I'm very disappointed that this feature missing too, on a car that costs this much.

And for those who point me back to the automatic wipers - I had those on my previous MINI and they were miserable - and there was no adjustment there either - they simply wiped when they felt like it.
I have the Automatic Wipers on my 08 and they work PERFECTLY. Just PERFECTLY. Speed up when they need to and slow down when they need to. Yes it did take a few adjustments of the rain sensing adjustment to get it right but after that, it works perfect every time. Even better that on my BMW 5 series which was a lot more expensive (more than twice the cost).

I wonder if there is an aftermarket kit I could adapt?
As this is a computer controlled function it would not be an easy function to change.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Walt
My 1979 Firebird had them too, but they were an option. They were called "Pulse Wipers" and were option code CD4.

Let me add that there is a guy who owns the patent for the adjustable delay. If any car manufacturer wants to offer adjustable delay, they have to pay him a royalty. Possibly, BMW/MINI just doesn't want to?

The patent is still in force after 30 years? Didn't think that was possible.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
gepperso
3rd Gear
Wipers

Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Rain Sensing Wipers are in a sense, Intermittent/Intervaled what ever you call it. You can adjust when the wipers wipe, a little mist *wipe* or a Heavier Rain *wipe*, the adjustment is made in the OBC. Pgs. 44-45 of the 2008 Owner's Manual explain the Rain Sensing Wiper settings.
Thank you Kimbell
You could always pose the queston to ask mini.com
I found alot of direct, and to the point answers to my questions.
Please don't forget about that resource, very helpful !!!
MINI 's are soooo cool, and such a blast to drive.
Ask them your questions, they are concise and to the point.
Motor on my MINI loving friends. May you be bless with many miles of smiles.

Quick Reply: R56 no delay wipers on a $27,600 mini?