Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

"The Rattle"....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM
guyneutron
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Rattle"....

274 miles, and when I started car yesterday it sounded a little different....
Took it in to dealer today. so ill find out tomorrow what it is.
I really like the car, but man, if it is the tensioner, wouldnt you think after years of this problem they would figure it out already!?!?!!
I mean wtf! no biggie, just plain annoying.
Just a rant.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
With only 274 miles on the car i would suspect that it is a 2011/12 model year car. And if that is the case then you have a N18 Engine NOT the N14 that has the major tensioner problems.

Now that is not to say that there is not a tensioner problem with your car but it is NOT the same as the Cold Start Rattle or Death Rattle as some call it.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 AM
guyneutron
1st Gear
Yes it is a 2012. I guess I'm about to find out....
could be that its just the way the engine sounds, but I did notice a difference when I fired the car up.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
The rattle sound you are hearing is 100% normal for your car (i.e. a 2011/2012 "S" with the newly redesigned and more efficient Valvetronic/VANOS-equipped N18 Prince engine). You can find the official MINI Technical Service Bulliten (TSB) that talks about it, along with a video of another MINI "S" making the rattle noise on cold start in the following NAM thread:

N18 – Cold Start Exhaust Rattle Noise (Turbo Wastegate)

I thought the same exact thing about my new 2012 MINI Coupe "S" when I first heard the sound upon cold start. It sounds totally awful, but is completely normal indeed.

SUBJECT
N18 – Cold Start Exhaust Rattle Noise

MODEL
R55 Cooper Clubman S, R56/R57 Cooper S and R60 Cooper Countryman S with N18 engine

SITUATION
The customer complains about a rattle noise coming from the exhaust/turbocharger area during a cold start. The noise lasts for approximately 20-30 seconds after the engine starts and is audible outside the vehicle.

INFORMATION
In order to meet stricter (ULEV2) emissions criteria, the N18 engine turbo wastegate activation strategy has been revised in comparison to Cooper S vehicles equipped with the N14 engine.

In higher ambient temperatures (between 64° and 86° F), the turbocharger wastegate stays fully open during a catalyst warm-up. This condition produces a rattle type of “acoustic feedback” and is created by the rotating wastegate valve face. Valve rotation is required for proper valve seating.

This type of rattle noise is considered a normal operation/characteristic of the N18 turbocharger wastegate system.

No diagnostic or repair attempts should be conducted for such a condition.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
MdwstMINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
The rattle sound you are hearing is 100% normal for your car (i.e. a 2011/2012 "S" with the newly redesigned and more efficient Valvetronic/VANOS-equipped N18 Prince engine). You can find the official MINI Technical Service Bulliten (TSB) that talks about it, along with a video of another MINI "S" making the rattle noise on cold start in the following NAM thread:

N18 – Cold Start Exhaust Rattle Noise (Turbo Wastegate)

I thought the same exact thing about my new 2012 MINI Coupe "S" when I first heard the sound upon cold start. It sounds totally awful, but is completely normal indeed.
Thank you! I heard the exact same noise this morning for the first time (at 326 miles). This puts me at ease.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
guyneutron
1st Gear
Yep, Dealer service just confirmed, totally normal! hey better safe then sorry.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by guyneutron
Yep, Dealer service just confirmed, totally normal! hey better safe then sorry.
But that is exactly what many dealers stated early on when the N14 Rattle was first shown to them. Just Saying

Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Maybe so, but the characteristic exhaust rattle noise of the N18 engine only lasts for about 30 seconds on cold start and then it completely goes away (exactly as stated in the TSB). The N14 rattle, on the other hand, never goes away (or at least it didn't on my R56 with the N14 engine in it - the car had to be towed to the dealer).

Old 01-29-2012, 12:59 AM
JeffInDFW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really? This sounds HORRIBLE. Every other automaker seems to be able to find a way to meet the requirement without allowing their engine to sound like it is about to throw a rod. Man, I am REALLY glad you guys do such a good job finding out these issues and reporting them. If I buy a new MINI for my wife and it sounded like that, we would have both had a heart attack! Glad to see it is not a problem, but...REALLY? This is considered acceptable by BMW/MINI? I hope we don't find out down the road that to meet another requirement, the airbag opens up and the car punches you in the nose and MINI considers THAT to be acceptable.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM
TK6
1st Gear
FWIW, my 2011 Kia Sportage SX (2.0 turbo) has this issue too. For emmissions reasons the wastegate is allowed to free-float at cold startup. It makes a rattling sound that owners complained about. There is now a TSB on it and owners can bring their car in for a software update to "fix" the issue. It doesn't sound that bad to me, but I don't know how bad the MINI sounds on cold start?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rattle noise during cold start on all 2011 and 2012 Mini Cooper S-es is the wastegate. The turbocharger wastegate stays fully open during catalyst warm-up. The N18 motor (2012 and 2011) produces a somewhat loud and nasty rattle noise created by the rotating wastegate valve face. The noise lasts for approximately 30-60 seconds after the engine starts and is audible outside the vehicle. The noise is "considered normal."

We that have the N18 engines still need to listen for other noises and keep the oil level in the healthy zone.

Video of the wastegate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ngQv...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
When everyone says "cold start", how cold is cold? What kind of temperatures are we talking about? (Or does "cold start" simply mean that the engine wasn't already warmed up, like coming out of a store after a few minutes and starting it back up regardless of outside temperature).

Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
When everyone says "cold start", how cold is cold? What kind of temperatures are we talking about? (Or does "cold start" simply mean that the engine wasn't already warmed up, like coming out of a store after a few minutes and starting it back up regardless of outside temperature).
Cold start (for me) is when the coolant and oil temp is at ambient.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
"Cold start" has nothing to do with the temperature. It is a start after the car has been sitting a while, e.g. overnight.