3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Bimmercode App

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 08:25 AM
tzminis
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Finally! Man I’m such a slacker.

Rear fogs coded to work as another set of brake lights
Hello,

Just bought a 2015 MCS F56 and have ZERO experience with Bimmercode or anything like it. Can you send me step-by-step instructions - what to buy (OBD, etc). My light switch does not have a rear fog switch. I pulled the rear bumper and confirmed that there are lights with wiring.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Old 04-25-2021, 12:13 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Just bought a 2015 MCS F56 and have ZERO experience with Bimmercode or anything like it. Can you send me step-by-step instructions - what to buy (OBD, etc). My light switch does not have a rear fog switch. I pulled the rear bumper and confirmed that there are lights with wiring.
Go top the Bimmercode site (https://bimmercode.app/) andthey will provide you with a list of OBD readers. You then download the app and the instructions are pretty simple. Good luck ... it's really easy.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:05 PM
tzminis
Neutral
Originally Posted by rtowell
Go top the Bimmercode site (https://bimmercode.app/) andthey will provide you with a list of OBD readers. You then download the app and the instructions are pretty simple. Good luck ... it's really easy.
Thanks for the info.

Ed

Old 04-26-2021, 05:26 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by tzminis
My light switch does not have a rear fog switch. I pulled the rear bumper and confirmed that there are lights with wiring.
Mine was that way too.

You will need to buy a new light switch assembly; one that adds the rear fog switch. Its pretty easy to swap out (took me less than 5 minutes).

Then, using Bimmercode, you will need to change the light switch assembly type to the one that includes the rear fog switch, and you will need to activate the rear fog lights. If you search around here (scroll up and read posts by me, is a good start), you will find the detailed Bimmercode instructions.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:19 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
If you're just wanting to use the rear fogs for brake lights you can do that without a new light switch, you only need the switch if you're going to use them as fogs but you should confirm that your state allows rear fogs before going that route. I thought I read somewhere they are illegal in the US, only a European thing. You can active them for brake lights with Bimmercode.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:50 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I was never able to get the rear-fogs-as-brake-lights to work correctly. Whenever I used Bimmercode to enable the rear-fogs-as-brake, 1/2 of my regular brake lights stopped working.

The following users liked this post:
cjv2 (12-21-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 PM
ocd_wmc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

So I got a 2019 Cooper S, the exterior door handles LEDs are there but the package that was required to make them active wasn’t optioned originally.

I’m guessing they are not coded to turn on or there’s a missing module to make them work.

I need help to source the right parts or for the coding itself.

I already tried coding them on when reversing, it didn't work.

Thank you.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:01 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmytro Sorokevych
Need help. Nbt evo , Connected USB2 cable to the armrest , but cant make it work. When i code comm_port usb1_usb2 - both of usb stop working.
The only thing I did on my 2016 base cooper to add the second USB connection and have it show up in the list of USB options on the Infotainment screen was this:

Code so that second USB port shows up on list of external devices (for click and drive USB connection to head unit)

CDMM_USB_AUDIO = all (0x03)
That is it... i coded nothing else on my car and both connections worked perfectly on the first try. I know this is like a year after your original past and you may have solved this issue long ago but maybe it will help another person in the future..

Old 08-29-2021, 08:00 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by sgscomps
If you're just wanting to use the rear fogs for brake lights you can do that without a new light switch, you only need the switch if you're going to use them as fogs but you should confirm that your state allows rear fogs before going that route. I thought I read somewhere they are illegal in the US, only a European thing. You can active them for brake lights with Bimmercode.
sgscomps, I would like my 2018 F56S rear fogs to function as brake lights. I must have missed that in Bimmercode when I was changing other things. Can you tell me where I might find this setting? Not concerned about legality, since I would rather not have some idiot rearend me in the fog we get here at times.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Old 09-01-2021, 09:22 PM
S_Banks
2nd Gear
YouTube video by Ben Rolfe:

renchjeep (09-02-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 07:28 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 303 Likes on 241 Posts
I'm going to work my way through all 15 pages of this thread (!!!) but have a question in the meantime -- is there a way to dump/export all values visible through Expert mode into something human-readable? The exported BimmerCode backups are definitely *not* human readable.

I'm trying to teach myself here about the coding -- have learned a ton, FAST, and that includes the coding-how to, certain bits of logic, and even a crash course in German. But to put certain understandings together I need a full map of what I have in the BDC for lighting. I figure if I can data-dump the values I have in place I can classroom myself in it.

Thanks to anyone with an answer (whether yes or no) and/or an alternative to accomplish this with some other tool, if it comes to that!

Old 12-22-2021, 03:35 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts
Maybe email Stephan at Bimmercode, see if he has a spreadsheet, tell him you're going to make a tutorial.

cjv2 (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 11:25 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Ok - I have read the whole thread. Whew! I now know that at least a few of my questions haven't been asked and answered over and over again

Does anyone have any insight as to the use of these general parameters? Or even better, have you used them and if so, in what way & how?
  • MAPPING_[light or functIon]_[left/right and/or front/rear location]_PRIORITY
  • MAPPING_[light or functIon]_[left/right and/or front/rear location]_DEPENDENCY_FUNC
  • MAPPING_[light or functIon]_[left/right and/or front/rear location]_DEPENDENCY_PWM
  • MAPPING_[light or functIon]_[left/right and/or front/rear location]_SPARE_OUTPUT
  • MAPPING_[light or functIon]_[left/right and/or front/rear location]_SPARE_PWM
So, for example, in re the left front fog lamp handling (nebelscheinwerfer):
  • MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_PRIORITY
  • MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_DEPENDENCY_FUNC
  • MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_DEPENDENCY_PWM
  • MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_SPARE_OUTPUT
  • MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_SPARE_PWM
I would like to learn more about these, in order to figure out (1) how I might leverage the dependency and/or "spare" params, and (2) to figure out whether (and if so, how) the priority parameters are used by the car.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:32 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jstancampiano
Has anybody tried to have rear fogs come on with front fogs? I don't have the switch for the rear fogs and only use the fronts when it's foggy (what a concept) and would like the rears to come on at the same time.

Joe
@Jstancampiano , I know you posted this forever ago (2018), but I figured out how to do this. Currently working on a how-to that has a few things within and this is one of them. If you're still itchy for an answer all the way out here in 2021 and would like to know how before I finish the bigger how-to, shoot me a PM!

Old 01-09-2022, 09:35 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
Rear Fogs HOWTO: no rear fog switch, brake lamps, running lights (diff brightnesses)

I have been running for a few weeks now with this setup on my US spec 2017 F56S (Oct 2016 manufacture date) without issue, so figured I'd share it here. Very glad to have BimmerCode in my hands.

For anyone who had the problem where activating the rear fog lights made you lose 1/2 of your brake light circle (top half), this was built around addressing that concern. For full discussion that led to all this, see the original forum thread.

BIG ALERTS:
  1. THIS INSTRUCTION SET PRESUMES DEFAULTS THAT ARE SPECIFIC TO THE US MODEL MINI.
  2. RECORD THE VALUES OF ALL FUNCTIONS YOU TINKER WITH BEFORE YOU TINKER WITH THEM. SCREEN SHOT THEM, WHATEVER IT TAKES.
  3. DISCLAIMER: this is what I did to my car. Anything you do to yours is at your own risk -- no promises and no responsibility taken here!
  4. All instructions below are based on using Bimmercode's Expert Mode. In Bimmercode, these changes CANNOT be made without Expert Mode.
  5. All instructions assume you are using filament bulbs for your rear fogs and for all four (4) left/right brake lamps (2 in each tail lamp assembly). If you are using LEDs there are steps that will not apply, the brightness settings I lined up may not work, and you may get unknown and maybe even unpleasant surprises that I can't map out for you.
  6. The setup here will give you four brightness experiences. Brightest (100%): rear fogs used as fogs. Next down: as additional brake lamps (bright but not brighter than tail lamp brake indicators). Next below that: as DRLs (active any time the DRLs are actually on, headlights are off). Least bright: as running lights at night (anytime (1) the headlamp switch is not in the "0" position AND (2) if the headlamp switch is in the Auto position, only when the car auto-activates the headlights).
  7. If you are running with the Union Jack tail lamp assemblies, these instructions would require modifications (and I do NOT know which ones) to accommodate your setup.
  8. If you have previously customized your Mini's Brake Force Display handling in ANY way, these instructions may collide with your customizations.
  9. If you have previously customized parameters prefixed with "MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2", these instructions will almost DEFINITELY collide with your customizations. These instructions presume US spec defaults for all MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2 values (especially that the OUTPUT set for these is, by default, off).
How I: made my rear fogs on/off with the front fog light switch.
For reference:
- nebelscheinwerfer = fog light
- nebelschlusslicht = nsl = rear fog light
- kaltueberwachung = cold monitoring
- warmueberwachung = warm monitoring
  1. Find your way to the BDC (Body Domain Controller)
  2. Find section 3063 LceLampMapping2.
  3. You're going to look at BUT NOT CHANGE some values next.
  4. Locate MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_FUNCTION. You will NOT change this, but you need to see what it is set to. It specifies the input function for the front fog lights.
  5. Note that MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_FUNCTION is set to nebelscheinwerfer 0x08. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!! YOU LOOKED AT THIS ONLY TO MAKE SENSE OF THE NEXT STEPS. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!!
  6. Locate MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_R_FUNCTION. You will NOT change this, but you need to see what it is set to. It specifies the input function for the front fog lights.
  7. Note that MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_R_FUNCTION is set to nebelscheinwerfer 0x08. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!! YOU LOOKED AT THIS ONLY TO MAKE SENSE OF THE NEXT STEPS. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!!
Now we're ready to change things elsewhere.
Under 3064 LceLampMapping3:
Change MAPPING_NEBELSCHLUSSL_L_FUNCTION from nebelschlusslicht 0x0E to Custom value 0x08 (set function of left rear fog to "fog light")
Change MAPPING_NEBELSCHLUSSL_R_FUNCTION from nebelschlusslicht 0x0E to Custom value 0x08 (set function of right rear fog to "fog light")
Change MAPPING_NEBELSCHLUSSL_L_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to nsl_l 0x1C (note 0x1C = left rear fog light)
Change MAPPING_NEBELSCHLUSSL_R_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to nsl_l 0x1D (note 0X1D = right rear fog light)

Under 3061 LcxOutputChannels2:

Change NSL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG from nicht_aktiv 0x00 to aktiv 0x01 (turn on left rear fog cold lamp monitoring - you should do this as long as your rear fogs are filament bulbs).
Change NSL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG from nicht_aktiv 0x00 to aktiv 0x01 (turn on right rear fog cold lamp monitoring - you should do this as long as your rear fogs are filament bulbs).
Change NSL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG from nicht_aktiv 0x00 to aktiv 0x01 (turn on left rear fog warm lamp monitoring - you should do this as long as your rear fogs are filament bulbs).
Change NSL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG from nicht_aktiv 0x00 to aktiv 0x01 (turn on right rear fog warm lamp monitoring - you should do this as long as your rear fogs are filament bulbs).

Finally, commit all these changes (code them). When the coding process is complete (the app will tell you, wait for it unless you want to take unnecessary risks), turning on your front fog lights should also turn on your rear fog lights. No need to go install a new headlamp switch unless you want separate front/rear control.

Note that when activated with the front fog switch, the rear fogs will illuminate at full/factory default blast (just like the front fogs do).
How I: got my rear fogs working as additional brake lamps, without losing any other brake lamps.
For reference:
- bremslicht = brake light
- Brake Force Display = BFD = solid brake signal under normal braking, blink brake signal during hard braking
- Ersatzwert = Substitute value
  2. Find section 3064 LceLampMapping3.
  3. You're going to look at BUT NOT CHANGE some values next.
  4. Locate MAPPING_BREMSL_1_L_FUNCTION. You will NOT change this, but you need to see what it is set to. It specifies the input function for "regular" braking (meaning not BFD-blinking).
  5. Note that MAPPING_BREMSL_1_L_FUNCTION is set to bremslicht 0x0C. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!! YOU LOOKED AT THIS ONLY TO MAKE SENSE OF THE NEXT STEPS. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!!
  6. Locate MAPPING_BREMSL_1_R_FUNCTION. You will NOT change this, but you need to see what it is set to. It specifies the input function for "regular" braking (meaning not BFD-blinking).
  7. Note that MAPPING_BREMSL_1_R_FUNCTION is set to bremslicht 0x0C. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!! YOU LOOKED AT THIS ONLY TO MAKE SENSE OF THE NEXT STEPS. DO NOT CHANGE THIS!!!
Now we're ready to change things elsewhere.
Under 3065 LceLampMapping4:

Change MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to nsl_l 0x1C (activate the deactivated output for this lighting, and point it at rear left fog light)
Change MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to nsl_l 0x1D (activate the deactivated output for this lighting, and point it at rear right fog light)
Change MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_FUNCTION from bfd 0x0D to Custom value 0x0C (change function of left Brake Force Display 2 from BFD to non-BFD brake indication)
Change MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_FUNCTION from bfd 0x0D to Custom value 0x0C (change function of left Brake Force Display 2 from BFD to non-BFD brake indication)

Recall that the rear fogs are brighter than the brake lights. I decided that when in use as brake lights, I didn't want the rear fogs to dazzle the driver behind me, and I didn't want them to take the attention of that same driver off my primary brake lights.

I set the rear fogs, when under control of MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2, to use a lower amount of power (which in turn will not fire up the rear fogs at full blast):

Change MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_PWM_1_BFD:
from its jointly-selected values of Ersatzwert 0x64 / 100% 0x64
to Custom value 0x3C
Note that:
- this controls voltage sent to the MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT device.
- in this context and with a filament bulb, I believe (from looking at other sections) 0x3C = 60%.
- you don't have to deselect "Ersatzwert" manually. When you enter the 0x3C value, Bimmercode will deselect the "Ersatzwert" selection automatically.
Change MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_PWM_1_BFD:
from its jointly-selected values of Ersatzwert 0x64 / 100% 0x64
to Custom value 0x3C
Note that:
- this controls voltage sent to the MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT device.
- in this context and with a filament bulb, I believe (from looking at other sections) 0x3C = 60%.
- you don't have to deselect "Ersatzwert" manually. When you enter the 0x3C value, Bimmercode will deselect the "Ersatzwert" selection automatically.

Finally, commit all these changes (code them). When the coding process is complete (the app will tell you, wait for it unless you want to take unnecessary risks), activating the brake should activate the rear fogs, at not-full-brightness (60% in theory), in addition to (rather than instead of) all of your existing brake lights.

Note that if you have combined this with activation of the rear fogs (whether by front switch or rear switch), and whichever fog light switch is on, the rear fogs will stay at 100% so long as the fog light switch is on.
How I: got my rear fogs working as DRLs.
For reference:
- TAGFAHRL = shorthand for tagfarlicht --> daytime running light
- the capital "H" in the variables shown is likely for "hinter" which = rear, so we are fiddling with rear DRL setup. BE CAREFUL NOT TO MODIFY OTHER TAGFAHRL VALUES BY MISTAKE!!!
  2. Find section 3064 LceLampMapping3.
Now we're ready to change things.

Change MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_L_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to nsl_l 0x1C (note 0x1C = left rear fog light)
Change MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_R_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to nsl_l 0x1D (note 0X1D = right rear fog light)
Recall that the rear fogs are brighter than daytime running lights. You also don't want someone to confuse your rear fogs with braking, etc.

I set the rear fogs, when under control of MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H, to use a lower amount of power (which in turn will not fire up the rear fogs at full blast):

Change MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_L_PWM_1_STANDARD:
from its value of 100% 0x64
to Custom value 0x14
Note that:
- this controls voltage sent to the MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_L_OUTPUT device.
- the next section will explain turning up rear fogs as "not daytime" RLs (running lights), and I wanted the DRL brightness to sit lower than fog and braking use, but above "not daytime" RL use.
- in this context there is interaction with LED control that makes the light brighter than I anticipated, so the 0x14 is a value I had to arrive at via experimentation.
Change MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_R_PWM_1_STANDARD:
to Custom value 0x14
Note that:
- this controls voltage sent to the MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_R_OUTPUT device.
- the next section will explain turning up rear fogs as "not daytime" RLs (running lights), and I wanted the DRL brightness to sit lower than fog and braking use, but above "not daytime" RL use.
- in this context there is interaction with LED control that makes the light brighter than I anticipated, so the 0x14 is a value I had to arrive at via experimentation.

Finally, commit all these changes (code them). When the coding process is complete (the app will tell you, wait for it unless you want to take unnecessary risks), the rear fogs should come on with the DRLs, at not-full-brightness and not as bright as brake lighting.

Note that DRLs are automatically switched off when the headlight switch is in any position that allows activating the fog light switch. So if you have combined this with activation of the rear fogs (whether by front or rear switch), you don't have to worry about fog use and DRL use bumping into each other as a practical matter.

If you have combined this with activation of the rear fogs as additional brake lights, the rear fogs will obey the additional brake light signal+brake light brightness instruction when the brakes are activated.
How I: got my rear fogs working as "not daytime"RLs (meaning running lights while the headlight switch is set to On, "Auto", or "parking lights".
For reference:
- What we in the US call "parking lights" and "running lights" are generally synonymous. These correspond to "standing lights" in BMW/Mini coding.
- STANDL = shorthand for standlicht --> standing light
- the capital "H" in the variables shown is likely for "hinter" which = rear, so we are fiddling with rear DRL setup. The "H2" is a secondary "H" output set BE CAREFUL NOT TO MODIFY OTHER STANDL VALUES BY MISTAKE!!!
  2. Find section 3065 LceLampMapping4.
Now we're ready to change things.

Change MAPPING_STANDL_H2_L_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to Custom value 0x1C (note 0x1C = left rear fog light)
Change MAPPING_STANDL_H2_R_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to Custom value 0x1D (note 0X1D = right rear fog light)
Recall that the rear fogs are brighter than the tail lights. You also don't want someone to confuse your rear fogs, when in use as running lights, with indicating braking, and you don't want them interpreted as being rear fogs (unless you have turned them on, for use as rear fogs, with a fog switch).

I set the rear fogs, when under control of MAPPING_STANDL_H2, to use a lower amount of power than "as rear fogs," than "when braking," and also, to be less bright than the tail lamps themselves in this "not daytime" running light mode:

Change MAPPING_STANDL_H2_L_PWM_1_STANDARD:
to 6.0V 0x3C
Note that:
- this controls voltage sent to the MAPPING_STANDL_H2_L_OUTPUT device.
- 6.0V 0x3C is a selectable choice presented by Bimmercode -- it is not a "Custom value." If you key it as a custom value, Bimmercode will automatically select the corresponding selectable choice for you.
- I arrived at this choice via experimentation, and chose it specifically based on how bright the lights appear AT NIGHT. Note that the DRL brightness I chose in the section above was brighter -- because during the day, you have to compete with daylight.
Change MAPPING_STANDL_H2_R_PWM_1_STANDARD:
to 6.0V 0x3C
Note that:
- this controls voltage sent to the MAPPING_STANDL_H2_R_OUTPUT device.
- 6.0V 0x3C is a selectable choice presented by Bimmercode -- it is not a "Custom value." If you key it as a custom value, Bimmercode will automatically select the corresponding selectable choice for you.
- I arrived at this choice via experimentation, and chose it specifically based on how bright the lights appear AT NIGHT. Note that the DRL brightness I chose in the section above was brighter -- because during the day, you have to compete with daylight.

Finally, commit all these changes (code them). When the coding process is complete (the app will tell you, wait for it unless you want to take unnecessary risks), the rear fogs should come on with the DRLs, at not-full-brightness and not as bright as brake lighting.

Note that if you have combined this with activation of the rear fogs (whether by front switch or rear switch), the rear fogs will obey the fog light switch first, staying at 100% brightness so long as the fog light switch is on.

If you have combined this with activation of the rear fogs as additional brake lights, the rear fogs will similarly obey the additional brake light signal+brake light brightness instruction when the brakes are activated (but if the fog switch is on, the lights will stay at 100% until/unless the fog switch is turned off).
WHEW! THAT'S IT!

Enjoy!

Last edited by cjv2; 01-09-2022 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typo correction from "not 0X1D" to "note 0X1D"
Old 01-09-2022, 09:49 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
F56 LED Cornering Lights HOWTO

Here is how I activated the cornering lamp function on my F56S. Here it is, and full credit where credit is due:If you don't have the additional corner light shown in the photo (I do not) and you have LED headlamps, your LED headlamps don't do the corner-illumination thing. You are reliant upon using the LED fog lamps for cornering lights (if that functionality is activated).

This how-to allows you to activate the cornering light functionality that uses the front fog lights as cornering lights.

BIG ALERTS:
  1. THIS INSTRUCTION SET PRESUMES DEFAULTS THAT ARE SPECIFIC TO THE US MODEL MINI.
  2. RECORD THE VALUES OF ALL FUNCTIONS YOU TINKER WITH BEFORE YOU TINKER WITH THEM. SCREEN SHOT THEM, WHATEVER IT TAKES.
  3. Disclaimer: this is what I did to my car. Anything you do to yours is at your own risk -- no promises and no responsibility taken here!
  4. All instructions below are based on using Bimmercode's Expert Mode. In Bimmercode, these changes CANNOT be made without Expert Mode.
  5. My car has the following. If your car has other equipment, this how-to may not apply or may require tweaking.
    • the stock self-adjusting LED headlamps (they adjust up/down, but do not adjust left/right) WITHOUT cornering lamps inside the headlamp assemblies;
    • the stock LED fog lights.
  6. If you have customized any of the paramaters or parameter sections referenced below, these instructions might collide with your customizations. Cross-check them all and read thoroughly first!
How I: made my front fogs act as cornering lights.
For reference:
- kl = likely "kurvenfahrlicht" = cornering lights
- li = likely "links" = left

- re = likely "rechts" = right
- output device 0x03 = tagfahrlicht l = left daytime running lights (DRL)
- output device 0x04 = tagfahrlicht r = right daytime running lights (DRL)

- output device 0x0B = nsw_l = nebelscheinwerfer l = left fog light
- output device 0x0C = nsw_r = nebelscheinwerfer r = right fog light
- TMS = LED Headlights (stepper motors for the Adaptive LED Headlights and LEDs for the side marker light, the positioning light, and the turn indicator). See this page about BMW control units and abbreviations for this detail.
  2. Under 3062 LceLampMapping1:
    Change MAPPING_ABBIEGEL_L_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to Custom value 0x03 (change cornering light left output from off to DRL left - see explainer at end)
    Change MAPPING_ABBIEGEL_R_OUTPUT from off 0x00 to Custom value 0x04 (change cornering light right output from off to DRL right - see explainer at end)
  3. Under 3066 LceTmsCoding1:
    Change KL_ENABLE_LI from KL_Aus 0x00 to KL_Ein 0x01 (enable left cornering light)
    Change KL_ENABLE_RE from KL_Aus 0x00 to KL_Ein 0x01 (enable right cornering light)
  4. Under 3073 LaMaster1:
    Locate C_BLC_ENA and:
    • Enable (select) F015_enable 0x01
    • This will also automatically change the following additional values, you'll see this happen on-screen:
      • F015_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • F045_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • F056_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • I001_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • M013_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • F045_stat_Kurvenfahrlicht 0x01 will be selected
      • F056_state_Kurvenlicht 0x01 will be selected
  5. Under 3073 LaMaster1:
    Locate C_CLC_ENA and:
    • Enable (select) F015_enable 0x01
    • This will also automatically change the following additional values, you'll see this happen on-screen:
      • F015_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • F045_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • F056_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • I001_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • M013_disable 0x00 will be deselected
      • F045_enable 0x01 will be selected
      • F056_enable 0x01 will be selected
  6. Finally, commit all these changes (code them). When the coding process is complete (the app will tell you, wait for it unless you want to take unnecessary risks), your front fogs should operate as cornering lights.
If you wish to test whether the coding worked, I have verified the following on my F056 works for testing.
Prerequisite test steps:
  1. Turn the ignition on. The engine does not have to be running, but the ignition has to be on to get to the next step.
  2. Turn on the headlights (the cornering function won't do anything while the headlights are off, so far as I can tell).
  • If you are using the Auto setting, convince the car that it is dark enough that it needs to turn the headlights on. You need the headlights on!
Test steps (do these while standing still or at low speed -- cutoff may be 25MPH but I'm not sure. Standing-still test is simpler ):
  1. Activate the turn signal (NOT the "flash-to-pass"). You should see the same-side fog light "dim up" to full brightness. It should "dim down" when the turn signal is deactivated.
  2. Turn the steering wheel off-center. You should see the same-side fog light "dim up" to full brightness. It should "dim down" when the steering wheel is returned to center.
  3. Put the car in reverse gear. Both left and right fog lights should activate. When you take the car out of reverse gear, both left and right fog lights should deactivate.
Regarding the odd output device mapping -- one might wonder why the specified output for the cornering lights is specified as 0x03 and 0x04 (l/r tagfarlicht outputs) rather than 0x0B and 0x0C (l/r fog lamp outputs). I don't know, but I have a theory (someone jump in and correct me if I'm off the mark here).
  • What I think is happening is this: cornering light output --> TMS by way of the DRL pointer --> C_BLC_ENA/C_CLC_ENA --> fog lights 0x0B / 0x0C.
  • Again, I can't prove this: it's just a theory.
  • I did try setting MAPPING_ABBIEGEL_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_ABBIEGEL_R_OUTPUT to 0x0B and 0x0C, respectively. Cornering lights did not work in that configuration.
THAT'S IT! Enjoy

mika4real (01-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:17 PM
TechTurbo
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kfmuller
I've got quite a few things coded using Bimmercode. I just added the Homelink, auto dim, compass mirror to my 2016 JCW (July 2015 build). It was essentially plug and play, but I did code a few things using Bimmercode because it showed a couple of errors regarding not being the correct mirror, UGDO error, and something else. Needless to say, it's coded fine, and no errors.

I also was one of the first adopters a few years ago of the Union Jack rear lights - and, coded all the errors away on those.

My only current issue is that I still show a 8041C3 error in Bimmerlink. This is the only one I ever see. Right now it says Coding: lamp mapping failed. Error not present currently but stored. Error would not cause a warning indicator light. So, I thought I'd try to figure out what is causing that one. I've looked over my coding for the rear tail lights, brake force display, comfort access, etc., and everything seems to be in order. The error occurs in Car access system of Bimmerlink. I do remember messing around with Daytime running light stuff so that the rear Union Jacks would stay lit up all the time, but I changed those back. I also noticed that it currently says High Beam warm and cold monitoring as Not Active - but, it also says Bulb for High beam lamp. I'm wondering if High beam lamp should be coded to LED since I thought the whole front lamp was LED when you have the LED package. I have LED with the cornering lights.
I am also getting the 8041C3 Coding: lamp mapping failed after the Union Jack rear lights retrofit replacing the LED version. I suspect the software is running on an older version that does not recognize the coding setup for UJ light thus throw such error.

I opt in the Europe version of UJ light and the best coding resource I found is: Conversion Union Jack "ECE" | MY MINIS (bettho.de). The instructions I received here earlier missed:
BFD_x_KALTUEBERWACHUNG - aktiv
BFD_x_WARMUEBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
BFD_x_IS_LED - nicht_aktiv

Old 03-17-2022, 08:26 PM
TechTurbo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TechTurbo
I am also getting the 8041C3 Coding: lamp mapping failed after the Union Jack rear lights retrofit replacing the LED version. I suspect the software is running on an older version that does not recognize the coding setup for UJ light thus throw such error.

I opt in the Europe version of UJ light and the best coding resource I found is: Conversion Union Jack "ECE" | MY MINIS (bettho.de). The instructions I received here earlier missed:
BFD_x_KALTUEBERWACHUNG - aktiv
BFD_x_WARMUEBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
BFD_x_IS_LED - nicht_aktiv
Update - I have root caused 8041C3 Coding: lamp mapping failed. It is showing due to the Brake Force Display (BFD) coding to European style. I reverted ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG, MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT back to their defaults and the code went away.

Now the real question is for the Europe version of UJ light, what happens when you leave it on the "Area enlargement" setting instead of Off?

Old 03-18-2022, 10:30 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I need to take a look at what mine are set to for my Brake Force Display since that is working fine on my UJ tail lights (European).

Old 03-18-2022, 11:57 AM
TechTurbo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
I need to take a look at what mine are set to for my Brake Force Display since that is working fine on my UJ tail lights (European).
Sure and thanks. It working can also mean there is the code which you shared earlier. I spent the time to understand why. Let's solve for it.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:36 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Update - I have root caused 8041C3 Coding: lamp mapping failed. It is showing due to the Brake Force Display (BFD) coding to European style. I reverted ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG, MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT back to their defaults and the code went away.

Now the real question is for the Europe version of UJ light, what happens when you leave it on the "Area enlargement" setting instead of Off?

What are the defaults??
Should be ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG, MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT = BL
and
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG, MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT= BFD

Blinking should work then

Old 03-19-2022, 12:16 PM
TechTurbo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
What are the defaults??
Should be ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG, MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT = BL
and
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG, MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT= BFD

Blinking should work then
The defaults on USA with LED head and tail lights are:
  • ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG = flaechenvergroesserung
  • MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT = fra_h_x
  • MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT = off
As I said I am pretty sure you can code BFD to blink regardless if you have UJ tail lights or not... but the computer will store the code and you will see it via BimmerLink.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:26 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
The defaults on USA with LED head and tail lights are:
  • ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG = flaechenvergroesserung
  • MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT = fra_h_x
  • MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT = off
As I said I am pretty sure you can code BFD to blink regardless if you have UJ tail lights or not... but the computer will store the code and you will see it via BimmerLink.

FRA is turn signal, H is rear, yes, you will get an error on panic blink. USA cars. Never figured out why.

flaechenvergroesserung or area enlargement on a non UJ tail light means the turn signal lights solid on emergency braking.
It will light up upper and lower brake lamps, along with the turn signal lamp, making the turn signal an extra brake lamp, a larger area of light.
It looks funny on my Euro signals, as my turn signal is amber. not US red.

I misspoke earlier.
What I meant is by changing them to BL and BFD, will cause the" brake lamps" to blink. with NO error.
BL is lower brake lamp
BFD is upper brake lamp.

DO NOT confuse BFD with BRAKEFORCED

This is for NON UJ, Im not sure how UJ bulbs are set up.

I have successfully done that, with no error, but I made the mistake later of changing something somewhere, and now only my lower brake lamps blink, but that another story.

Last edited by TVPostSound; 03-19-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:51 PM
TechTurbo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
FRA is turn signal, H is rear, yes, you will get an error on panic blink. USA cars. Never figured out why.

flaechenvergroesserung or area enlargement on a non UJ tail light means the turn signal lights solid on emergency braking.
It will light up upper and lower brake lamps, along with the turn signal lamp, making the turn signal an extra brake lamp, a larger area of light.
It looks funny on my Euro signals, as my turn signal is amber. not US red.

I misspoke earlier.
What I meant is by changing them to BL and BFD, will cause the" brake lamps" to blink. with NO error.
BL is lower brake lamp
BFD is upper brake lamp.

DO NOT confuse BFD with BRAKEFORCED

This is for NON UJ, Im not sure how UJ bulbs are set up.

I have successfully done that, with no error, but I made the mistake later of changing something somewhere, and now only my lower brake lamps blink, but that another story.

https://youtu.be/10xWyPl1Iw0
In this case I think the code shows only when one coded BFD to blink on UJ tail light setup. Member kfmuller posted the same outcome. If anyone knows a workaround please share.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:56 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
In this case I think the code shows only when one coded BFD to blink on UJ tail light setup. Member kfmuller posted the same outcome. If anyone knows a workaround please share.
No work arounds to mapped FRA BLINKED you will get an error on US cars.

As I mentioned set blinked, and map to BL and BFD, that will NOT trigger an error.

The error comes from the turn signal circuit.

Quick Reply: Bimmercode App