4th Generation MINIs Discuss the new EV Hardtop and ICE Hardtop models here.

ICE '25 Cooper S review

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 06:51 AM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'25 Cooper S review

2025 MINI Cooper S Signature Trim Plus (Comfort, Flavored, Premium Sound pkgs)

Two weeks of ownership review. A lot of my thoughts are based from previous Cooper experience. I also have an R53. I also have owned an F56. It’s really hard to watch Youtube reviews of cars and not wonder if they are honest or not. So I thought I’d post my initial thoughts on the new Cooper.

I bought this car with it being an everyday driver in mind. I have a 2021 Mustang Mach 1 for my speed thrills. But 201hp in a MINI is fun too.

Exterior

I like the new model. I know it’s getting bigger with each generation and since I have a 2006 R53 I don’t really care. To me, the R53 is the sweet spot in terms of size for the BMW-era MINI Coopers. You could say MINI has been losing their way since the 1st generation. But what does it matter if you love the car you have?

With it being a little bit bigger, and it being a daily driver, I didn’t mind because of how I’ll be using the car. The car being bigger means it’s less harsh. Each generation has improved in this area.

I like the clean lines and minimalist details. I actually love the rear end, it’s very box-like. I didn’t care for the “popped-out bubble” taillights of previous gens. So the change-up for the taillights is welcome.

I hate that the Cooper doesn’t have exposed rear tailpipes. But I’m sure it won’t take an aftermarket company long to come up with a solution to get that look back. Maybe will have to go with a JCW cat-back and rear valance?

I heard it said the front end is shorter than the previous gen but I think it’s actually longer. There’s some interesting play with angles. When I venture to the grocery store and walk back to the car, the front end just looks longer to me. Could be because there’s no hood vent, or brake vents?

I had the front end wrapped in clear PPF. The stuff is expensive but it’s magic for protecting the paint against the inevitable stone chips. I had the installers put black PPF on the bumper. I also got the windows tinted. I like a little tint just to keep some of the hot sunshine at bay. The back windows are 35% and the driver/passenger is 50%.

I like the smaller, all-season tires for a smoother ride. And since I’ll be driving in Michigan winters, summer tires are a pass. I didn’t know if I was going to be sold on the bronze wheels. But in person they are less bronze. The color grew on me fast.

MINI put on absolute crap brake pads. The wheels are covered in brake dust after 50 miles. I’ll be installing high-quality ceramic pads soon.

The rear spoiler is much different. I think it looks more sleek and there might be a bonus with it. I’ve noticed less dust and road debris on the rear-end after a trip. Could it be better aerodynamics throwing the dust away from the car? Maybe. Whatever the reason, it’s nice not to find the rear covered in grime.

Interior

MINI says they are using recycled materials because they care about the environment. I say, they are using recycled materials to save money. The company is a business. MINI says, you get JCW seats in the standard Coopers. I say, you get standard Cooper seats in the JCW. Marketing word play is fun...

The interior overall, I really love. I’m not partial to everything being on a screen but that’s where everything seems to be going, so I’ve succumbed to live with it. I’m glad the screen isn’t this wall of flatness in front of me, like the new Mustang S650 for instance. The irony is that the screen and all the features are suppose to keep our eyes more focused on the road. But honestly, I find myself being more distracted making adjustments and flipping through menus. Some buttons like the heated seat and steering wheel are very tiny. It’s sarcastically enjoyable to make adjustments via a flat screen on bumpy Michigan roads. Very annoying. Please bring some buttons back!

Speaking of the screen, it took me a good couple hundred of miles to start feeling comfortable with all the controls. And getting the settings where I want them.

Major annoyance! Seriously, MINI, we need a “read your owners manual” warning to say “ok” each time we get into the car? And another annoying thing, it takes two taps to turn off the auto start/stop. I contacted Bimmercode to see if they’ll be supporting the 4th gen cars. Unfortunately, the new cars are “secured coded” and likely to never be supported. So the nanny things will have to remain unless someone finds a work around. And I would pay top dollar to have these two annoyances done away with!

I am so very thankful those “Experience Sounds” like “WOO-HOO!” can be turned off. It’s one of the first things I did. I’m not a 12 year old.

I like MINI and it’s quirkiness but they went the wrong route here with the Experience Modes. Instead of quirky, they made the car gimmicky. I have found that once you set the car up the way you like it, you don’t really mess with the other stuff. This is because the Modes don’t really change anything (unless using Go Kart Mode). The screen changes color and graphics. Maybe the seat massage turns on. These are things you can simply just turn-on.

I am curious how the fabric material in the interior will hold up over time. I have treated the seats and the cloth parts with Ultima Interior Guard Plus to help keep stains away.

The seats and steering wheel are very comfortable. The seats don’t hug you as much as the previous gens. The stitching, the faux leather, and fabric work is top notch.

I have the Signature Plus model which has power seats/massage. All is welcome! Since my wife will also drive the car at times, it’s great to have the seat memory option.

The little storage compartment is a great thing. I like to keep a pen, mints and some hand-sanitizer in there. However, it does feel a little cheap. Very plastic-like when you close it.

The Harman Kardon sound system is fantastic!

Regarding Android compatibility, I don't think all the bugs are worked out yet. Even connecting via bluetooth to my Samsung S23 is spotty. And it simply wouldn't stay connected using Android Auto. So I had to disable the app on my phone. There's a software update coming in July, so I heard, that will hopefully address this.

Performance

This Cooper scoots! And takes the curves as you would expect it too. The exhaust is quieter and it has a lower growl, less rasp than the previous gens.

The steering is more refined but you definitely feel less road feedback.

I would like a little bit more throttle response in standard drive mode. If you click the Drive switch down a second time, it puts you in Sport mode without having to go into Go Kart mode. The response is all around great and the revs stay higher giving the car nice power when you need it.

The tough thing about owning such a new model is the lack of parts and fun things to get. Hopefully, it won’t be too long before aftermarket parts hit the market.

Closing

I hope this helps some of you out. Glad to answer any questions!

Blessings,

Last edited by Kerosene; 07-16-2024 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SEBR59 (08-08-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 04:42 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 229 Likes on 193 Posts
This was a great read, thanks!

Old 07-13-2024, 03:17 AM
JayGee
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very good write up. I've had the car roughly the same amount of time and have had a similar experience, though I like all the lighting things more than most people probably would. I can't seem to figure out the lights that spread onto the dashboard. They're cool but don't seem to turn on often. It's odd that you can default the experience mode to any of the modes minus go-kart (the one I'd like to default to). I'm going to test out some of the auto-parking things this weekend on a very unbusy road. The lack of accessories for this model at launch is disappointing. I hope they have crossbars available by the winter, among all the usual accessories.
I tried down clicking the D twice and it goes to L, is that considered sport mode or is there something else?

Old 07-13-2024, 05:50 AM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JayGee
Very good write up. I've had the car roughly the same amount of time and have had a similar experience, though I like all the lighting things more than most people probably would. I can't seem to figure out the lights that spread onto the dashboard. They're cool but don't seem to turn on often. It's odd that you can default the experience mode to any of the modes minus go-kart (the one I'd like to default to). I'm going to test out some of the auto-parking things this weekend on a very unbusy road. The lack of accessories for this model at launch is disappointing. I hope they have crossbars available by the winter, among all the usual accessories.
I tried down clicking the D twice and it goes to L, is that considered sport mode or is there something else?
Hey there!
Yes, clicking down twice on the D switch is like a sport mode. I think it's only different than Go Kart mode in that your screen, steering wheel, suspension, sound, etc. remain the same.

And for sure, the projector lighting had me completely baffled. I have the same experience too. What I found is that the projector turns off while in D. (probably to reduce distraction while driving?) Also, kinda annoying is setting up the ambient lighting to the color you want, and the next time you enter the car, it goes back to a default color. I hope some of that is addressed in a future software update.

If your lighting behaves like mine. When you turn the car off, the projected lighting turns on.

It is really difficult finding much information on parts or anything on this car yet. I too want to add a roof rack for my bike. I have an email sent to ECS Tuning to verify if they have any options. They are cross-checking my VIN. Awaiting to hear back.

Old 07-14-2024, 11:29 AM
JayGee
1st Gear
Yeah the projector behavior is strange. I swear the first night I was driving around, the projector lights were on while driving (at least in vivid mode and go-kart), but it seems to not do that now. And I think it did come on when parked. I also get a warning that my back seats are not locked when putting the seats down for extra trunk space. Not sure if I just ignore that every time or what. And when using my Apple carplay, I get random 1 second pauses on Spotify or waze every now and again, but using the Mini native apps Spotify or Sirius, I get no problems. I sort of assume some of these things will be ironed out with software updates.

Old 07-14-2024, 11:35 AM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Yeah the projector behavior is strange. I swear the first night I was driving around, the projector lights were on while driving (at least in vivid mode and go-kart), but it seems to not do that now. And I think it did come on when parked. I also get a warning that my back seats are not locked when putting the seats down for extra trunk space. Not sure if I just ignore that every time or what. And when using my Apple carplay, I get random 1 second pauses on Spotify or waze every now and again, but using the Mini native apps Spotify or Sirius, I get no problems. I sort of assume some of these things will be ironed out with software updates.
Yes, i actually think the projected lighting worked when driving when i first got the car. Its very erratic.

Yes, if the seats are folded, you'll get a "seat not locked" warning. And a little yellow sign in the lower left side of the screen. Freaked me out at first thinking something was wrong. . No crap, MINI the seats aren't locked when folded.... so helpful. The safety nannies are working overtime in this car.

Same with me on the music stuff.

Old 07-14-2024, 01:08 PM
JayGee
1st Gear
Good to know I'm not the only one with these quirks. Still, super fun to drive.

Old 07-14-2024, 01:09 PM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Good to know I'm not the only one with these quirks. Still, super fun to drive.
Sport mode is quick!

Old 07-15-2024, 08:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerosene
Hey there!
Yes, clicking down twice on the D switch is like a sport mode. I think it's only different than Go Kart mode in that your screen, steering wheel, suspension, sound, etc. remain the same.

And for sure, the projector lighting had me completely baffled. I have the same experience too. What I found is that the projector turns off while in D. (probably to reduce distraction while driving?) Also, kinda annoying is setting up the ambient lighting to the color you want, and the next time you enter the car, it goes back to a default color. I hope some of that is addressed in a future software update.

If your lighting behaves like mine. When you turn the car off, the projected lighting turns on.

It is really difficult finding much information on parts or anything on this car yet. I too want to add a roof rack for my bike. I have an email sent to ECS Tuning to verify if they have any options. They are cross-checking my VIN. Awaiting to hear back.

I think our team is working with you, Yet most of the stuff is not out yet and we can get them, just pm me. We dont have 2025 up yet.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-16-2024, 12:25 PM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I think our team is working with you, Yet most of the stuff is not out yet and we can get them, just pm me. We dont have 2025 up yet.
Yes, you are and Austin was super helpful.

Here's the roof rack system that will fit my car. It's on order!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/82712327916/

Old 07-16-2024, 12:30 PM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Another update.

The bluetooth software isn't totally right with the car. It used to connect and disconnect every few seconds until it would eventually connect. Now, the car won't connect at all.
Definitely hoping the updated Over-the-Air update will address this.

Old 07-16-2024, 01:41 PM
JayGee
1st Gear
Do you mean connecting it to your phone? Have you tried removing the phone from the car's device list and removing the car from the phone device list and reconnecting everything?

Old 07-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Yeah the projector behavior is strange. I swear the first night I was driving around, the projector lights were on while driving (at least in vivid mode and go-kart), but it seems to not do that now. And I think it did come on when parked..
Regarding this. I may have stumbled upon something. As I got the projected lighting to stay on while driving. Go into Interior Lighting/Ambient Lighting and turn off the Reduced At Night button. After i did that it works normal.

I think once Personalize Mode (Experience) is added with the next update, then you'll be able to choose your Ambient Light color and it'll stay as chosen in that Mode. It seems all the Modes have their own default colors. Which you can change but it'll revert to the default after restarting the car.

Still learning...

Old 07-16-2024, 04:04 PM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Do you mean connecting it to your phone? Have you tried removing the phone from the car's device list and removing the car from the phone device list and reconnecting everything?
I dont see a place for removing a phone from the car?

And yes, I removed the car from the phone.

That's something that's been buggy from the start. I absolutely could never get Android Auto to work. And now it wont connect via Bluetooth at all.

Old 07-16-2024, 04:27 PM
JayGee
1st Gear
Oh good info on the projectors, I'll have to try that out. I'll see if I have an extra Android at work an test out Android Auto. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2024, 03:10 PM
JayGee
1st Gear
So I did see a setting in the setting menu > mobile devices > where you can delete paired phones. Not sure if that will fix anything with the bluetooth connection or Android Auto, worth a shot I suppose.

Old 07-17-2024, 04:57 PM
Kerosene
1st Gear
So I did see a setting in the setting menu > mobile devices > where you can delete paired phones. Not sure if that will fix anything with the bluetooth connection or Android Auto, worth a shot I suppose.
The bluetooth and wireless functions are being really screwy now. In the vehicle settings, when i try to click Wireless or Bluetooth settings, the screen turns black. Until i hit the home button and exit out. Also via the home screen, i scroll left to the "connect phone" button is useless. Nothing happens when i tap that button. Definitely got some bugs in mine.

Software is version 3.2024.57. Is that the one you have?

Last edited by Kerosene; 07-18-2024 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:31 AM
JayGee
1st Gear
Ah, that's pretty frustrating. I had the nav system go black once, but turning off/on the car fixed it. I know there is a reset to factory default function, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go to fix your bluetooth issue. My software version is 03/2024.52, and it says no update available. Perhaps there is a small model distinction with your model vs mine, software being .52 vs .57

Old 07-23-2024, 03:45 AM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Found out yesterday, when you press down the switch into Drive, then once more for Sport Mode, it turns off Auto Start/Stop.

If Auto Start/Stop is so easily disabled why cant it be permanently disabled like the Gen 3's?

Old 07-23-2024, 05:56 AM
JayGee
1st Gear
I'm still confused about LOW mode vs Sport. My car's switch says D/L. Does your car say it's in S mode? The manual mentions S mode and also a D/S (with paddles). The manual also describes LOW mode as, "Principle LOW mode is recommended when the engine braking effect needs to be increased, for instance on steep downhill gradients. General information, In LOW mode, the transmission continues shifting automatically, but generally in lower gears than in selector lever position
D. LOW mode can therefore also be used to accelerate faster. Enabling LOW mode, To activate LOW mode, tap the selector, lever from selector lever position D to D/L. The transmission's LOW mode is enabled."

I wonder if the release of the "Personal" mode will allow you set set each item as desired, like certain colors, sport mode functions, dynamic dampers, engine auto on/off, etc.

Old 07-23-2024, 06:36 AM
Kerosene
1st Gear
I'm still confused about LOW mode vs Sport. My car's switch says D/L. Does your car say it's in S mode? The manual mentions S mode and also a D/S (with paddles). The manual also describes LOW mode as, "Principle LOW mode is recommended when the engine braking effect needs to be increased, for instance on steep downhill gradients. General information, In LOW mode, the transmission continues shifting automatically, but generally in lower gears than in selector lever position
D. LOW mode can therefore also be used to accelerate faster. Enabling LOW mode, To activate LOW mode, tap the selector, lever from selector lever position D to D/L. The transmission's LOW mode is enabled."

I wonder if the release of the "Personal" mode will allow you set set each item as desired, like certain colors, sport mode functions, dynamic dampers, engine auto on/off, etc.
Yeah, it says D/L Drive and Low Mode, but I don't feel how Low Mode is different than Sport Mode. Throttle response and everything feels the same as when in GoKart Mode. Could be my imagination. Engine braking in L is higher because the rpm's are raised and held longer just like in GoKart Mode.

I'm curious like you about Personal Mode....hope it's released soon!

Old 07-23-2024, 07:12 AM
JayGee
1st Gear
Oh interesting, I've mostly had manual cars in my lifetime, so I never really understood what L is on an automatic transmission. I assume it's mostly safe to leave it in this mode for general driving?

Also hoping there is a big software update soon, alongside some fun accessories!

Old 07-23-2024, 03:32 PM
JDPaddle
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is Home Link?

Got our new 2025 MINI. Its the wifes but I am the car geek so here I am.
I know I will have tons of questions and will be reading here in Ernst but first things first...
No Home Link??? Am I missing something? any help is appreciated . I guess we just buy a tacky add on remote.

Old 07-27-2024, 12:00 PM
Kerosene
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JDPaddle
Got our new 2025 MINI. Its the wifes but I am the car geek so here I am.
I know I will have tons of questions and will be reading here in Ernst but first things first...
No Home Link??? Am I missing something? any help is appreciated . I guess we just buy a tacky add on remote.
Yep, no Homelink. It's gone. I velco taped my button in front of my storage bin. Completely hidden while seated in the driver/passenger seat and easy to reach.

Old 07-28-2024, 04:02 AM
JDPaddle
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TY.
we bought a new remote and she is figuring out where she wants it but its programmed and in the car.

Quick Reply: ICE '25 Cooper S review