5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Tips for traveling with Kids!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for traveling with Kids!

Car trips are perhaps the quintessential family vacation. Here's tips on making them enjoyable.

Here's How:

Pace: allow enough time for rest stops. Two hours of car time, then a break, makes a good pattern.

Pack: a special backpack or bag for each child, with crayons, books, toys, activity sets, stickers, handheld games.

Pack: some new wrapped surprises for little kids. But don't give out all the loot at once!

Play: a story for the whole family on the car stereo system; or bring individual players for your kids.

Play pint-sized board-games. Clue, Sorry, Trouble... are oldies but goodies.

Playrooms: Burger King and MacDonalds have great playrooms on major highways. Let the kids burn off energy while you order their food "to go" to eat later in the car.

Playgrounds: Most parks have them! Little limbs need to shake, rattle, and roll.

Picnics: buy the fixins' at a deli or grocery store, find somewhere scenic where the kids can run around. You save money, too.

Potties: it's worth bringing a training pottie, if your child has need-to-go-NOW emergencies.

Sleepy Time: kids fall asleep easily in the car, and a snooze can be a great way to let the miles fly by. Just be sure to allow lots of wakie-wakie time. Rousing a child from deep sleep because "we're there now" is tough.

Rush: is a four-letter word when you Travel With Kids!

Tips:

A tray-- or a "travel desk" suspended from the back of the front seat-- is handy, for any back-seat activity.

Pack LOTS of snacks, such as fruit leathers, crackers, juice packs, treats.

Bring plastic cups; bandaids, a dishtowel; frisbee and ball for rest-stops; and baby-wipes no matter how old your kids are.

Once you have a couple of kids, costs for quenching a thirst can add up fast. Bring a small cooler, or insulated bag, for cold drinks. Buy giant-sized drinks; use plastic cups to share them out.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:52 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm lucky. My two boys (7 and 10) can travel for a long, long time with their DVD player and Nintendo DS Lites... ran a 12v extension cord from the boot outlet, under the back seat, and it pops out right beside the rear cupholder. I plug a three-way splitter in there, and it can charge both DS's and run the dual-screen DVD player. With potty, meal and snack stops, we could drive around the world...

Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Ords
6th Gear
ok, i have two but I've found this is what works best for my family. Fly the wife and kids to where we need to go and leave the enjoyment to driving for me.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:04 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ords
ok, i have two but I've found this is what works best for my family. Fly the wife and kids to where we need to go and leave the enjoyment to driving for me.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Back in my youth they used to have paregoric for this type of thing but they have since outlawed it

Old 04-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Back in my youth they used to have paregoric for this type of thing but they have since outlawed it
We now call it "Sudafed". Not as effective, unless you use A LOT.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:46 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Benedryl...

Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 PM
SB
6th Gear
As a kid we played the "kick daddy's seat and see if you could duck the flying arm of death" game.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As a two MINI, two child family, we are pretty good at travelling with the kids. First thing, the dual screen portable DVD player is a must. That will buy six hours a day, minimum. From there, it's all about strategic rest stops and food breaks!