Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Dension Icelink Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dension Icelink Install

I'm going to be ordering the icelink cradle in a few weeks, and I was wondering if anyone could either briefly explain how to install it, or direct me to a link explaining it. It seems to be fairly easy (Plug it into the back of the radio), the only problem I can forsee is the removal of the radio, which I'm pretty sure requires a key. Also, how do you get the wire behind the radio without drilling holes! Thanks in advance!

Old 09-06-2005, 03:46 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my 04 there is not key to remove stereo, there is no need to unplug the stereo fron wiring harness, just remove the 4 screws and pull stereo out enough to plug ice link lines into it, I installed my icelink in about an hour, very easy to do, just be careful with dash piece not to scratch them!!

Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM
6th Gear
How do you access the screws for the radio? Is there an access panel somewhere?

Old 09-08-2005, 10:20 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
2005 MCS with H/K

How about 2005s? Is it similar?

Old 09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
6th Gear
I also read that the Ice Link sold at best buy, amazon, ect does NOT plug into the head unit, but in fact needs to be routed to the trunk area to plug it into the CD changer wiring. Is the only surefire way of making sure it is installed to the head unit (seems easiest) by buying it directly from Dension?

Old 09-09-2005, 07:00 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ariercetinberk
How about 2005s? Is it similar?
You have to remove the downtubes on either side of the console to get to the screws that hold the HU in place. It's fairly easy to do and if you serach this forum you find instructions on removing the downtubes to get to the console mounting screws. Four screws hold the H/U in place. A hint, you'll need to remove the cupholder and screws on the bottom of the PS dash airbag cover then lift up the bottom of the center dash panel and PS dash panels to get enough clearance to slide the downtubes up and out.

The IceLink units that connect to the back of the HU are only available direct from Dension. The model sold by the other vendors is connected to the CD Changer interface in the RH rear compartment in the boot.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I also read that the Ice Link sold at best buy, amazon, ect does NOT plug into the head unit, but in fact needs to be routed to the trunk area to plug it into the CD changer wiring. Is the only surefire way of making sure it is installed to the head unit (seems easiest) by buying it directly from Dension?

I have a Ice Link purchased from best buy and yes, it DOES plug into the trunk. That being said, I had the iPOd working in less than 15 minutes. I still have to hide the wire (this weekend) but the unit is functioning.

I also need to do the ground mod...getting some whine...

(FWIW, no ID3 tags on the the 05 HK ....yet!

-jac

Old 09-10-2005, 02:08 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbulb
I have a Ice Link purchased from best buy and yes, it DOES plug into the trunk. That being said, I had the iPOd working in less than 15 minutes. I still have to hide the wire (this weekend) but the unit is functioning.

I also need to do the ground mod...getting some whine...

(FWIW, no ID3 tags on the the 05 HK ....yet!

-jac
I assume the wire they provide is plenty long enough to reach the trunk and mount your I-Pod Cradle anywhere you could imagine near the radio/ect?

Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
yup.

I still have to run it under the pass side door sill, but there is PLENTY of wire to get it to the front.

I have not installed the cradle yet...i want to do something a little different. Since we mostly use the iPod on longer trips, i want to be able to tuck the cradle away when not in use, or be able to grab the whole thing & use the iPod interface. I am planning on using a large magnet, clip or something on the back of the cradle so you can take it off, navigate, and put it back.

Also, I did the ground wire modification this weekend...it is perfect. No engine noise/whine or anything. Sounds great. Works well with my 3rd gen 15 G and my wife's 40 G iPod Photo

I'm really not hung up on the ID3 tags...I just want good clean music from my iPod. For me, ice-link does that.

-jac

Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbulb
I am planning on using a large magnet, clip or something on the back of the cradle so you can take it off, navigate, and put it back.
Remember, the iPod has a hard drive in it. The last thing I'd use is a magnet.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:07 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by supergimp
Remember, the iPod has a hard drive in it. The last thing I'd use is a magnet.
ahhhhh...you are wise!

i was just kidding, anyway! thanks!

-jac

Old 09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
You know what I do find useful? I leave the ice>link in Dension mode, which allows me to navigate the first 5 playlists (regardless of their names) but when I want to select something else (another playlist or an album or ALL of an artist, etc.) I just slip the iPod out of the cradle (I have my cradle mounted on the Panavise mount just to the right of my radio), the iPod is immediately back to the iPod interface, navigate to the first song I want to hear using the standard ipod controls (plus, since the Dension text is so small, it's easier to see - and safer), hit play and drop the ipod back into the cradle. The iPod then reverts to Dension interface but playing the playlist or album that I have just started it on and I can track back/fw with the MFSW.

It works great.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:17 AM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
ID3 tags

I just installed the ICE LINK with ver. 2.B2 that Dension emailed me.
Works great. ID3 tags are finally there!! so sweet.

can someone post a link to where the "ground mod" is. I don't have a whine problem, but wondered what that modification consists of.

thanks.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:48 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
ground mod, stolen from another thread

Stole this from another thread:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=ice+link

"Here's the fix..
Hey,

If you're familiar with the basics of those connectors, i.e. how to open/remove/replace the connector pins, you're good then.

First pic is the plug you want, with one red, black, and white wire. Plug is two rows of three pin sockets. Black is currently next to white, you want it next to the red pin.

Flip the cover on the side the black plug is currently on, push down with ball-point pen on small metal plate over current socket for black pin. That's the pin release. Not much slack, but should be no real resistance to removing black pin. Encounter resistance, repeat with the ball-point and try again. Close this side of connector once removed.

Next, open side of connector with red plug, and place black pin in slot next to red plug. Close the plug, re-connect, enjoy!

If that doesn't help, better call Dension. Issue with ground is due to variations in BMW wiring harnesses. Dension is resorting to a ground (black) wire in BOTH locations onl all future harness shipments.

YMMV, but I bet that's all you need to do..

Cheers,
Matthew Z."

Old 09-14-2005, 07:49 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIMAXXNC
I just installed the ICE LINK with ver. 2.B2 that Dension emailed me.
Works great. ID3 tags are finally there!! so sweet.

can someone post a link to where the "ground mod" is. I don't have a whine problem, but wondered what that modification consists of.

thanks.
can you e-mail that update to me, with the instructions? I'll PM you....

thanks!

-jac

Old 09-14-2005, 06:43 PM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
thanks for posting those fishbulb..

sure I will forward you that email (upgrade) i got from Dension...it's not hard at all.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Just FYI I had an IceLink and returned it. Very, very poor quality product for $200 IMHO. The Dension interface is a joke, when it works. Having the Ipod out to use the interface is retarded - why pay $200 for a simple audio link to the radio? And the sound quality - good god, it's awful.

I ended up buying an Alpine CDA-9855 and the Alpine KCA-420i Ipod interface and I'm loving life. Flawless Ipod control, full display of all data on the head unit, infinitely better sound quality than the stock head unit, and so much more. Best part - Ipod stays locked up in the glovebox.

Just my $.02

Old 09-15-2005, 12:43 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
MINIMAXXNC,

got the files...thanks! And you are right, that was easy. Our late 05 HK is now reading ID3 tags. Pretty cool.

The only issue that I am having now is that pressing the #6 radio button will not let me into the file set up section of the Denison interface. I would like to srt my iPod back to the iPod interface.

Granted, i know i can just pull it out, select & drop it back in, but i am going to have a hard time explaing that "feature" to my wife..

thanks!

-jac

Originally Posted by MINIMAXXNC
thanks for posting those fishbulb..

sure I will forward you that email (upgrade) i got from Dension...it's not hard at all.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:06 AM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
glad it worked. It is pretty cool to see those ID3 tags huh!

To get into your menu from the HU, you have to hold the #6 button down... it took me a while to figure that out.

If you press it quickly it bounces between ALL the playlists on your IPOD, if you hold it, it takes you to the Dension MENU.. which you should be able to see on both your HU and your IPOD screen.

enjoy!

JJ

Old 09-15-2005, 05:11 AM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
...also, if your goal is to switch back from HU to IPOD control... you would hold the #6 key on the HU down, then go to IPOD control on the menu, but when you select it, the screen says, unplug and replug your IPOD. then you have IPOD control.

next time you turn off your car and restart, it defaults back to HU control automatically.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
thanks, i'll try that tonight.

It was working fine before the update, maybe i just need to hold #6 a little longer.

And yeah, it was pretty cool to see the tags. I really could live without it, but if it's there, i'll take it!

I'll post back with my findings....

thanks!

-jac

Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Still no luck on getting back into the Dension menu with the #6 button and my 15G 3rd gen. I need to try my wife's 40G photo.

I ran the wires up from the trunk this weekend. wasn't hard, but there were some real PITA parts. First, you need a monster Torx bit to get the seat belt bolts out. I also released the center catch for the rear seats to give me some more working room.

The best tool for this job was a small pair of bent nose needle nose pliers. i was able to hook them under the edge of the trim panels and carefully pull them up enough to slip the IceLink cable underneath.

I brought the cable up along the pass side of the MINI to under the glove box. I popped the end of the wire coming from the cradle though the little vents under the headunit and ran that up to under the glove box. there was a spot that i was able to zip-tie the iceLink board to that was in pretty much an open space, to help with how hot it gets. plug in the sires from both ends....done!

As for the mounting of the cradle, I am not entirely sure yet. I kind of like it under the head unit, because i can flip it over & you can not see the iPOd. Makes it nice for running errands & such, no need to be popping it in & out.

Overall, I really like this product and I will be getting one when I order my 06 as well.

-jac

Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 PM
havnap
Coordinator :: Metroplex MINI
I had both the head unit version and the boot verion for my 03...and definately try and get the boot version. Getting the head unit out isn't hard, just can be a pain where the connection in the boot was simple. The only time consuming thing was hiding the cables. Also, if you have the ICE Link go bad (like I did), and you have to take the car apart again to take the old one out and put the new one in, it's even more of a chore!

IMO.

You'll enjoy it though. I'm waiting on my 06 MCSc now and that's my 1st thing that I'm going to put back in there. The only thing I have to figure out is how to get the tags to show up on the 1.1.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
The Dension doesnt hook into the same place where the Aux cable hooks into? I have a H/K unti with NAV, and I thought I read it hooks where the Aux does and you can just take down your knee bar and in the top left hand corner of the H/K is where the connector installs, am I wrong?

Old 09-20-2005, 04:30 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Itsdchz
The Dension doesnt hook into the same place where the Aux cable hooks into? I have a H/K unti with NAV, and I thought I read it hooks where the Aux does and you can just take down your knee bar and in the top left hand corner of the H/K is where the connector installs, am I wrong?
No the ice>LINK replaces the CD changer. thus it plugs into the CD changer harness in the boot or you unplug the CD changer harness from the HU and plug in the ice>LINK to the HU directly, depending on which ice>LINK version you buy.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Dension Icelink Install