Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ram intake project

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:29 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Ram intake project

JS and I (mostly him) have been working on this little project for the past month. We've got the prototype fitted to my Mini yesterday and I've taken some data to share. It's still a little crude and will undergo some finess before we go to finished pieces. We want to change the angle of attack and other "designer" issues. However, it's good enough for testing. We've taped the snot out of it in the last photo to ensure that it doesn't fly off during testing and to ward off pesky spy photographers

Caveat.....we are not advertising a product for sale. We just wanted to share our ongoing project(s) with your guys. If things goes well, plans may change

Conditions were identical as I could make it and the change of intake took place within 10 minutes of testing.

Here are my results with the prototype vs. OEM intake following the same stretch of level road for 10 miles. All the data were taken from the Auterra/Palm OBD reader in real time:

-Ambient temperature...72 fahrenheit
-Motor temperature...178 fahrenheit
-Intake pressure...18.6 inHg
-Speed...75 mph
-Gear...5th
-RPM...3900 +-10

OEM intake=96 fahrenheit
Prototype intake=88 fahrenheit

Not bad...about what I expected. We have opened up the vertical height nearly 5/8" and a little at the sides over stock dimentions to add intake volume. I wonder what the benifits will be at higher boost/speed:smile: Not that the numbers were paramount to us as long as it was an improvement over OEM and more importantly, visually appealling...which we're very happy with at this stage

Sid

PS...I appologise to those of you finding missing images in my old "winter projects" thread as many of them have been deleted to make room in my gallery for this thread. Please ask the moderators to enlarge my gallery

Old 08-23-2005, 05:42 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks very...very good when is it available the sides look like they R' alot squarer, if thats a word? but d' opening looks to be key! i see a few other things but not sure if u' want it all out or not... know what i mean
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
JS and I (mostly him) have been working on this little project for the past month. We've got the prototype fitted to my Mini yesterday and I've taken some data to share. It's still a little crude and will undergo some finess before we go to finished pieces. We want to change the angle of attack and other "designer" issues. However, it's good enough for testing. We've taped the snot out of it in the last photo to ensure that it doesn't fly off during testing and to ward off pesky spy photographers

Caveat.....we are not advertising a product for sale. We just wanted to share our ongoing project(s) with your guys. If things goes well, plans may change

Conditions were identical as I could make it and the change of intake took place within 10 minutes of testing.

Here are my results with the prototype vs. OEM intake following the same stretch of level road for 10 miles. All the data were taken from the Auterra/Palm OBD reader in real time:

-Ambient temperature...72 fahrenheit
-Motor temperature...178 fahrenheit
-Intake pressure...18.6 inHg
-Speed...75 mph
-Gear...5th
-RPM...3900 +-10

OEM intake=96 fahrenheit
Prototype intake=88 fahrenheit

Not bad...about what I expected. We have opened up the vertical height nearly 5/8" and a little at the sides over stock dimentions to add intake volume. I wonder what the benifits will be at higher boost/speed:smile: Not that the numbers were paramount to us as long as it was an improvement over OEM and more importantly, visually appealling...which we're very happy with at this stage

Sid

PS...I appologise to those of you finding missing images in my old "winter projects" thread as many of them have been deleted to make room in my gallery for this thread. Please ask the moderators to enlarge my gallery

Old 08-23-2005, 05:48 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
The clip you see will not be as visible when we're done. For expediency, we left the stock clip in place. The changes we want to make are to lower the angle of attack and fill the the gap exposing the metal flange. That, undoubtedly, didn't help my first readings as it creates much turbulance. Trust me...or maybe not

Trust no one...:smile:

Old 08-23-2005, 07:10 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
.....indeed.......... so when do U' expect it ready.....kool wiper blades!! what r' they?
The clip you see will not be as visible when we're done. For expediency, we left the stock clip in place. The changes we want to make are to lower the angle of attack and fill the the gap exposing the metal flange. That, undoubtedly, didn't help my first readings as it creates much turbulance. Trust me...or maybe not

Trust no one...:smile:

Old 08-23-2005, 07:17 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Very Nice Sid

Old 08-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Very nice indeed. curious question though, how is the OEM Intake held in place versus yours and why did you have to tape it?What about the intake as seen on El Diabolito's car? are there many aftermarket intakes other than the carbon one?
Thanks
H

Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Our prototype intake was modeled ontop of what was left of Wraith's scoop after his dissasterous mishap enroute to MOTD05. It had only one stud left to attach to. The finished piece will have the four mounting studs that attaches to the hood like all other scoops. With all due respect to El Diablito, I don't know much about the Squidworth scoop

The blades are Valeo:smile:

Old 08-23-2005, 07:28 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Valeo...

Valeo huh...looks like i'll have 2dump my piaa's....does it sit off the glass on passengers side?
Our prototype intake was modeled ontop of what was left of Wraith's scoop after his dissasterous mishap enroute to MOTD5. It had only one stud left to attach to. The finished piece will have the four mounting studs that mounts to the hood.

The blades are Valeo:smile:

Old 08-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
Thats one nice hood scoop. Love to see it in CF.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:31 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
yea!! no sheit huh....

i've been waitin' for a nice 'functional' C/F scoop 4' some time now.
Originally Posted by Kellzir
Thats one nice hood scoop. Love to see it in CF.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:33 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Please guys...we'd love to have YOU make it in CF for US. But as we're making this ourselves and don't know howto in CF, we'll settle for FG

Old 08-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
Well hurry up and let me buy yours and overlay it with CF.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:51 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
can U do it in light grey? j/k
Originally Posted by Kellzir
Well hurry up and let me buy yours and overlay it with CF.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:26 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
o please please sell it!

Old 08-24-2005, 03:48 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
me likes! :smile:

Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 AM
jlm
6th Gear
looks interesting...I wonder what would happen if you ran it with no scoop at all, just the hole?

Old 08-24-2005, 07:20 AM
JS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
looks interesting...I wonder what would happen if you ran it with no scoop at all, just the hole?
JLM - interesting question. One that we'll look at later. My guess is that there would be no signification improvement, due to increased turbulences and undirected air flow to the intercooler. The design changes we have instore may improve the air flow. One change will actually be decreasing our opening by aligning it to the sheet metal opening. This should decrease turbulences slightly. I expect no decrease in flow and even hope for a slight improvement.

JS

Old 08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Looks good.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like!

It's bigger but yet still subtle. And... you got good NUMBERS too.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
Great job Sid! It looks awesome. Keep up the great work!

Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Me Likes I want one

Old 08-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Please guys...we'd love to have YOU make it in CF for US. But as we're making this ourselves and don't know howto in CF, we'll settle for FG
Working with Cf is much like FG...you use the same resin...just that the CF is lighter and stranger in the end...you don't need as much resin etc etc blah blah...my point is...once you get this one done...making one in cf might not be as far off as you think ...great stuff...glad to see some more people gettin thier hands into something

Old 08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
I love it... stock look but better performance.

It looks like a fish mouth!
I can't wait to see a final product.

-Josh

Old 08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Looks great! I have a dumb question though - would having a bigger scoop be an issue driving in heavy rain and through puddles and the waves of cast-off water from other cars/trucks? I have been through some bad weather like that in the winter and I just wonder if the larger opening might cause some sort of issue.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is sharp! Way to use the available space of the stock piece to maximize airflow without making it look like a WRX wanna-be! Fantastic!

When can i get one???

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ram intake project