Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Better Fuel Economy: Auto Transmission or Manual Shift Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
canicus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better Fuel Economy: Auto Transmission or Manual Shift Mode?

With the rise of premium gas and the cost of filling up my 2007 MC last week (total of almost $60 @ $4.15/g), I was wondering if it was more fuel efficient to drive with the basic auto transmission or with the "manual shift mode" on the auto transmission. Does anyone know?

I know real manual transmission vehicles generally have better fuel economy than an auto transmission vehicle; however, with the way Mini has the ability to "shift" into manual shift with the auto transmissions, I was wondering which mode was more efficient.

Of course I like to drive quick and sprite with my Mini but there are times - of course - when I just want to get from Point A to Point B and want to improve my fuel usage.

Comments anyone?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto......only because the auto will shift at the best points for economy.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
DanC
2nd Gear
if you have the OBC, display the constant MPG values. That will give you the quickest feedback as to where the gas is getting eaten up the most. But I agree, keeping in in 'D' instead of sport drive will save you some gas. Manual mose might save you some gas also if you keep those revs low.... but what fun is that anyways...

Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just put it in D and go easy on the throttle.

you should do comparitive calcuations from wat you were paying a month
ago for gas and where it could end up this year ($5). you'll find that you're
only paying like $1.50 - $1.75more each day. which imho has no impact to most
MINI drivers. although i too dont like paying more for the same damn thing...

Old 05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Manual transmissions typically get better gas mileage simply because they usually have additional gearing (which helps keep the rpm's lower for a given speed) along with a direct connection to the motor without the power-robbing torque converter in an automatic.

Modern 6 speed automatics sometimes get better gas mileage (and acceleration) now than their 6 speed manual counterparts because the car's brain is better than the driver's brain at being in the correct gear for the circumstances, and the inefficiencies of the automatic trans are being worked out. However, the autos still lack in the enjoyment department, IMHO.

That being said, leave it in Drive for best economy, as others have already mentioned.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 AM
hoonpv
4th Gear
my 06's Aisin units holds on to revs forever in "D" mode.

can anyone chim in on this? it's like the transmission is speed variable more than anything. for example, if i'm going 58mph, the gear won't upshift to 6th gear no matter what until i hit 60mph.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:37 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm... interesting... I've never thought a lot about this... of course, I never stay at 58mph for more than a few nanoseconds... I use "D" when on the highway for fuel economy. I use "SD" around town primarily for more "punch"... in "D" seems like it always shifts pretty conservatively (early) unless you're really on the throttle. But I'll start paying more attention (and try to stay out of the throttle) to see...

Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 AM
hoonpv
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Hmmm... interesting... I've never thought a lot about this... of course, I never stay at 58mph for more than a few nanoseconds... I use "D" when on the highway for fuel economy. I use "SD" around town primarily for more "punch"... in "D" seems like it always shifts pretty conservatively (early) unless you're really on the throttle. But I'll start paying more attention (and try to stay out of the throttle) to see...
cool, keep me posted