Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Chicagoland MINI spottings!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 AM
DMAC57
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my MINI on order since 6/11 and ironically have seen fewer MINIs since ordering than before. I have only seen two cabrios and both had their tops up and that was a few weeks ago before this heat wave set in.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanC
Nice to see you too Francis. I bet its been great "top down" weather for you lately.
Haven't seen you around since... MOTD. It's been a while. Good to see you Dan. Maybe we'll see you at MTTS??

Originally Posted by DMAC57
I have had my MINI on order since 6/11 and ironically have seen fewer MINIs since ordering than before. I have only seen two cabrios and both had their tops up and that was a few weeks ago before this heat wave set in.
Heat wave?? has it hit 100F yet??? I've been driving top-down everyday since the temps topped 60F (except for rainy days). in the morning, all I need is sunscreen. on the ride home, I'll wear a hat also. Gotta enjoy these sunny days

Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Paladin
1st Gear
Saw a Blue s convertible and a gray headed east in Oak Park down Chicago ave abou 4pm

Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
jgooch74
2nd Gear
saw a BRG MCS parked next to me at the dominicks at canal and roosevelt.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:21 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw THREE MINI's In the Southlands last night (Palos, Hickory Hills area) and not one single wave! I was with a buddy of mine, and was bragging to him about how all MINI owners acknowledge each other with a friendly wave or thumbs-up, and got NOTHING!

Guess that my pal got the last laugh.....

Offenders:
  • Red/black R53 with checkers, side numbers, and white stripe @ Roberts Rd & 103rd St, Palos Hills.
  • Yellow/white R50 with rally lights behind me on Kean Ave @ 95th St, Hickory Hills
  • Blue/white R50 on Roberts Rd, Palos Hills

Old 07-19-2008, 01:27 PM
oxyblue11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dhoosee
Saw THREE MINI's In the Southlands last night (Palos, Hickory Hills area) and not one single wave! I was with a buddy of mine, and was bragging to him about how all MINI owners acknowledge each other with a friendly wave or thumbs-up, and got NOTHING!

Guess that my pal got the last laugh.....

Offenders:
  • Red/black R53 with checkers, side numbers, and white stripe @ Roberts Rd & 103rd St, Palos Hills.
  • Yellow/white R50 with rally lights behind me on Kean Ave @ 95th St, Hickory Hills
  • Blue/white R50 on Roberts Rd, Palos Hills

I spotted YOUR car getting some sport stripes put on!!!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:51 PM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oxyblue11
I spotted YOUR car getting some sport stripes put on!!!
Were you @ Bill Jacobs that Saturday afternoon? I'm very happy with the stripes. They haven't peeled off yet....

Are you going to MTTS this coming weekend? I got my wife to go when she heard that there was food and a goody-bag involved! Should be a good time.

If you see us there with ol' Onslow, give us a tap on the shoulder, ok?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
oxyblue11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dhoosee
Were you @ Bill Jacobs that Saturday afternoon? I'm very happy with the stripes. They haven't peeled off yet....

Are you going to MTTS this coming weekend? I got my wife to go when she heard that there was food and a goody-bag involved! Should be a good time.

If you see us there with ol' Onslow, give us a tap on the shoulder, ok?
I'm at Bill Jacobs everyday! LOL

(now you know who this is)

Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM
leek
2nd Gear
I saw the MY/MY car at the Damen/Elston/Fullerton intersection this past Sunday (you couldn't possibly have seen me, given the angle) and a week or two ago parked next to a Blue MINI at Kohl's on Elston, who must have seen my car, as whoever it was, was gone when I returned!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Paladin
1st Gear
Red Cabrio black stripes on the Ike about 6:30 am Wed July 23.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Saw quite a few MINIs on the way to the UIC picnic grounds... probably a 50% wave-returning rate

Old 07-25-2008, 10:38 PM
mnimule
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
Saw quite a few MINIs on the way to the UIC picnic grounds... probably a 50% wave-returning rate

How many is a few.....?

Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 PM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
About 11:00 this morning, I spotted more Mini's than I could count heading North on I-94, I am assuming to MTTS. I could see a bunch were parked at the Lake Forest Oasis. I was heading SB in a non-Mini back to Chicago from Milwaukee.

The traffic was nuts going North, backed up solid from the Gurnee exit to South of Golf Road. My sympathies to those of you that had to sit through that. Hopefully, you made it to Elkhart Lake before dark.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mnimule
How many is a few.....?
~10.

Originally Posted by pdflint
About 11:00 this morning, I spotted more Mini's than I could count heading North on I-94, I am assuming to MTTS. I could see a bunch were parked at the Lake Forest Oasis. I was heading SB in a non-Mini back to Chicago from Milwaukee.

The traffic was nuts going North, backed up solid from the Gurnee exit to South of Golf Road. My sympathies to those of you that had to sit through that. Hopefully, you made it to Elkhart Lake before dark.
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 MINIs left Lincoln Park Zoo starting around 10:00 AM (I don't know when the last MINI left) for Road America. The route had us go up Lake Shore Drive (good, fun), Sheridan Rd. (okay, but hard to keep everyone together), Dempster Av. (uh...), I-94 West (uh...) to Rt. 176 / Lambs Farm for a slight break.

The Edens portion was relatively acceptable (at least traffic was moving) but the travel time signs warned of 60 minute times to Rt. 60. The spur was clear but then traffic basically stopped right around Deerfield. I got off there and took Waukegan Rd. to 176. Best decision ever.

Fortunately, at the Lambs Farm stop they tried to tell as many people as they could to take Rt. 41 instead of getting back on the Tri-State. We finally got to Road America around 3pm.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:12 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pdflint

that was us!! I think we were supposed to arrive at RA by 1pm... NOT!!! by the time we left Lambs Farm, it was 12:30 already. Some how, I got separated from the larger group and drove most of the way alone, except for a MINI from Toronto.

I did spot a few MINIs along the route from the Zoo (not part of the convoy) and they all (except one) waved back

Old 07-27-2008, 06:16 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I got off there and took Waukegan Rd. to 176. Best decision ever.

Fortunately, at the Lambs Farm stop they tried to tell as many people as they could to take Rt. 41 instead of getting back on the Tri-State. We finally got to Road America around 3pm.
thanks for the heads up Anthony As much as I was enjoying the sun... that Great America traffic heading north was horrible! I think I arrived at RA a few minutes after you.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 AM
mnimule
3rd Gear
any meetings in chicago planned after MTTS...?

Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 AM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMac2005
thanks for the heads up Anthony As much as I was enjoying the sun... that Great America traffic heading north was horrible! I think I arrived at RA a few minutes after you.
We actually got caught up in a pack of MINIs as we got closer to RA. Hopefully Michelle got some good shots! (I wish I could have taken some photos of her standing up through the sunroof taking pictures--it was pretty amusing. )

Originally Posted by mnimule
any meetings in chicago planned after MTTS...?
There's a drive-in movie event planned for mid-August.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
zagadka
4th Gear
Yesterday 10amish:

Tailed by an IB/W MCS with driving lights on EB 176 in Mundelein. When I pulled out onto Seymore from a side street, I think you flashed your lights at me. Why thank you!

I was on the way to get new stripes put on by my Boyf.

Flat black. Dark Silver. Red accents... thinking about red mirror caps now.

I also saw tons o' Coops Friday between 4-5pm in Libertyville area, but I can't remember anyone but the BRG/W/ Checked roof dude I saw pulling out of Super Target in Mundelein. Thanks for the wave!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:35 PM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The spur was clear but then traffic basically stopped right around Deerfield. I got off there and took Waukegan Rd. to 176. Best decision ever.

I nearly did the same, but I was dumb enough to stay on 'til Half Day road. Took Waukegan up to 176 and over to the farm. After that I took 176 east and hit two-lane roads north until I was over the border. Think I got to RA before just about everyone else that went to the farm. Felt bad about leaving the convoy, but I had to pick up a buddy in Gurnee so it was going to happen sooner or later..

Also, just saw a BRG MCS w/white stripes on Shermer in Northbrook. Thanks for the wave!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Jean111
1st Gear
Road America

Traffic was pretty brutal from Lincoln Park to Elkhart Lake but somehow we beat the Mini Pace Car to Lambs Farm. Passed it on the expressway. We got to Road America though around 3pm. Running the race tracks first with the new mini's and then in my mini on the big track though, was worth the hassle in my opinion although I wish the "parade" on the big track would of had us more spread out so we could really test out the track more than we were able to. I felt like we were sitting more in traffic jams than driving. Didnt get back home til 10:30. Made for a long day. They said at breakfast in Lincoln Park that Chicago had the biggest turnout so far. I wonder if that's really true or if they say that at each rally?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jean111
They said at breakfast in Lincoln Park that Chicago had the biggest turnout so far. I wonder if that's really true or if they say that at each rally?
I think it's true.... Just before the concert I heard that they only had 150 at one at the other concerts and not many more at the other...

So as sparse as ours was, it was a riot compared to Boston and Miami evidently....

Agreed on spacing on the track. I managed to really get it going a few times, and that made the whole day worth it for me. I was really disappointed in the vendor booths. I was expecting 4x as many with good stuff (shirts, hats, etc.).

Does Mini USA have a feedback area for MTTS?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
Jean:

I had one of the event photographers ride with me on the first part of the drive to Ridemakerz and he said Chicago was easily the largest turnout for MTTS of the three and even our somewhat sparse crowd that stuck around for the concert was the largest. He said the Michlle Branch crowd size was embarrasing. Overall Boston had the smallest MTTS crowd.

Jim

Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
Hey Zagadka, you were in my neighborhood! I was still on MTTS, but I live between Hawley and 176. I have an 02 DS/W MCS and the 08 HC/S Clubman.

Your stripes sound sharp.

Jim

Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
We actually got caught up in a pack of MINIs as we got closer to RA. Hopefully Michelle got some good shots! (I wish I could have taken some photos of her standing up through the sunroof taking pictures--it was pretty amusing. )

Was this Michelle??????

Quick Reply: Chicagoland MINI spottings!