Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

"Sideswiped," an open letter to those that care

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009 | 09:40 PM
pan-fry
|
1st Gear
"Sideswiped," an open letter to those that care

I was passing a stopped car on Grand Avenue Friday (the 13th (how cliché)). He was trying to turn left onto a one way street - the wrong way. Annoyed and late to work I decided to pass him on the right. He must have realized at that very moment he couldn't turn and started moving into the right lane. He slammed into the driver's side quarter panel of my car... and didn't stop... just kept skidding down the side of my Mini. To sweeten the deal, he informs me that he doesn't have insurance or a driver's license. He had no ID at all (or at least said he didn't). Mind you, I gathered this information trying to speak to him in what little Spanish I know. Also, he kept spitting which I found odd and fairly disgusting.

I called 911 and they tell me to go to the nearest police station if my vehicle is functional and to be sure to gather all the information I can. Armed with nothing more than an expired drive-out tag number and his supposed name I head towards the police station around the old Caprini Green. Before I get there, I think, "this is stupid. I have been hit by someone completely off the grid. Nothing good can come of my reporting this." I just go to work.

So basically, I am "bummed" and worried that my car will never be the same. 4 years of babying — weekly hand washes, detailing and only a few tiny chips on the rear bumper cover. Now this. blammo. He sits in my garage with the scratches, bruises, dents and tatty moldings more fitting to an uncared for AMC Gremlin.

My insurance company doesn't require that I file a police report and, of course, I have full coverage and uninsured driver. I can also take my Mini to the body shop of my choice. There is my question,

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD BODY SHOP?

I thought about going to Patrick Mini in Schaumburg since they have a full shop but, I am sure that would be well beyond my TBA insurance estimate. There's a place here in Oak Park called Loro Auto Works but I have been getting mixed reviews on that.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pan-fry; 02-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2009 | 04:04 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
HI pan-fry.

So sorry to hear about your accident. This is my worst nightmare- to be hit by someone with no insurance. Maybe I missed it in yourpoat but where do you live? It might help people reading this to help you with good body shops.
Good luck!

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:04 AM
pan-fry
|
1st Gear
Thanks cabwy... it's been my nightmare too. Unfortunately, now it's my reality.

I live in Oak Park. I'm not averse to heading to any of the far west suburbs if that's what it'll take to get this done right.

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2009 | 10:39 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Patrick rebuilt the front of my '04 MCS after an altercation with a deer in '05. They also rebuilt the RR of my son's 98 VW GTI after an altercation with a Yellow Cab. In both cases, their work was excellent and has held up very well. I also live in Oak Park and it is a bit of a drive to Schaumburg, but I thought the end results were worth it. I would highly recommend them.

Old 02-16-2009 | 12:21 PM
pan-fry
|
1st Gear
thanks pd.... I finally got a call back from my insurance company. Patrick Mini is a "preferred dealer" with them. So, it looks like I'll be going there after all.
Thanks for the review. Puts me better at ease.

Really appreciate it....

RD

Old 02-19-2009 | 11:17 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Patrick was an authorized estimator and repair shop for State Farm when my car was in. I didn't have to bother with going to multiple bodyshops to get three estimates. In addition, if hidden damage is found, Patrick talks directly with your insurance company. Except for being without my car for about a month, it was pretty painless.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:41 AM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Check out America's Auto Body in Schaumburg,IL on Lunt Ave. I'm a freak about keeping my car clean, and as most of you know it hasn't even seen the streets since October. I had gotten hit by a road horse coming back from MTTS - the original- when an 18-wheeler hit a road horse and it sent it flying into me, down the entire driver side of the car. I had a couple recommendations to take it to Patricks, But I also had many more recommendations to take it to America's. They kept it 3 days longer than originally expected, but no waving paint, no orange peel look, nothing but absolutely perfect paint and body panel alignment. I had almost 4500 dollars of damage done, and to this day it looks like no repair was ever made. +2 for America's.

Last edited by SRICHS; 02-24-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spellcheck sucks.....
Old 02-27-2009 | 05:01 PM
SparklingMINI2008
Neutral
I actually just had my MINI at Patrick for a repair after getting backed into in the parking lot at my office. They do excellent work, and their work is guaranteed for as long as you own your car. Their paint shop is excellent. I have a sparkling silver, which in my opinion, is a very hard to match color. I highly recommend them, and they deal direct with your insurance as pdflint said. Very good service, although I had to drive around a Kia Rio for 3 and a half weeks... Hope that helps.