Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Any Chicago Mini track junkies?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 04:45 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Chicago Mini track junkies?

I'm a diehard track junkie who is considering giving up my highly modified Audi A4 for a 2005 MCS.

I'm wondering if there are any other like-minded Mini owners in the area. I've instructed for the Phil Wicks driving school up at Blackhawk and it was full of tons of cool Minis, so I know you're out there! If there is a local meet coming up I'd like to take a firsthand peek at some of the modifications I've been attempting to learn about.

Is there an organized club? Any autocrosses or anything?

Alternatively, if any of you would like to come out to one of our Audi Club events you are more than welcome. I can guarantee you'll get TONS of runs and meet lots of cool people. Our next event is June 26th:

CLICK FOR DETAILS

Old 06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
Mark, check out the Chicago MINI Motoring Club website at http://chicagominiclub.com/ All club events are listed there. There are several modified MINI's that come to events, but not many "track junkies". I was one of three MINI's at the recent Lotus Corps event at Blackhawk and was one of only a couple local people at Phil's school at Blackhawk last year.

I keep telling everyone how much fun autocrossing and track days are, but so far there is limited interest.
I'm also a BMW owner and MINI's are welcomed openly at the Windy City BMWCCA events and there is a MINI class at our autocrosses. Normally three to six MINI's show for those autocrosses.

The MCS is very fun.

Jim

02 DS/W MCS Dinan S1
99 Estoril M coupe

Old 06-13-2005, 05:50 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Wicks will be at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL july 23 and 24

Motor on

Old 06-13-2005, 08:14 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LTLMCPE
Mark, check out the Chicago MINI Motoring Club website at http://chicagominiclub.com/ All club events are listed there. There are several modified MINI's that come to events, but not many "track junkies". I was one of three MINI's at the recent Lotus Corps event at Blackhawk and was one of only a couple local people at Phil's school at Blackhawk last year.

I keep telling everyone how much fun autocrossing and track days are, but so far there is limited interest.
I'm also a BMW owner and MINI's are welcomed openly at the Windy City BMWCCA events and there is a MINI class at our autocrosses. Normally three to six MINI's show for those autocrosses.

The MCS is very fun.

Jim

02 DS/W MCS Dinan S1
99 Estoril M coupe

We had similar lacklustre response to autocross but decent support of the track events in the Chicago Audi Club up until the past few years. A handful of enthusiasts stepped up and it has been an incredible metamorphosis. As I'm sure you know, it's infectious once it takes root - you just need to find that small hardcore group willing to stick the needle in other people's arms

Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tsprayfhs
Wicks will be at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL july 23 and 24

Motor on
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm on the roster for that Wicks event at BHF; I'll have to check.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Track Junkies

As far as Track stuff, there are several MINI s that show up for Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs events.

http://www.mcscc.org/

There are currently three MINIs that compete in Time Attack Auto Cross, which is timed laps on area race tracks. One is competing in a Modified class, and one is in a Stock class, and the other is moving from Stock to Prepared.

An air box and an exhaust will not push you out of stock class, unless you have made other mods to the car. You are allowed 2 points. 1 for Sway bar, 1 for air box, 1 for exhaust, 3 for an ECU reprogram, and more for a pulley with a chip. Down load the GCR and read the section on Autocross.

The next event is August 20 at BlackHawk Farms in Rockton Illinois. You need a Snell Rated Helmet "M" is acceptable, check the year. THERE ARE NO LOANER HELMETS.

MWC also has an HPDE scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Lots of Track time.

For Parking lot in Chicago Salt Creek Sports Car Club runs parking lot events at Maywood Park Race Track.
http://scscc.net/
(Salt Creek is one of the member clubs of Mid West Council.) They use SCCA rules for classing cars. You will need a DOT or better rated helmet.

John

Old 08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Thanks for the info. Bob Humphries is a friend of mine so I'm familiar with the MWC events.

I'll be at Blackhawk with him this weekend in fact for the Audi Club event.