Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Uh oh... My first oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Mab01uk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ImagoX
You don't have a diagram or image of where I should look by any chance, do you? I'm pretty sure my leak's coming from the gearchange shaft, but I'll check this as well while I'm under the car. A leak here is only fixable with a full main seal replacement, right? Hopefully I don't have one there...
This one normally leaves the drip on the left hand side of the subframe (UK front passenger side). Look for the large alloy flywheel casting on LH side of engine below the engine steady bar. Starter motor is also bolted to it. Follow this casting under the car, lay underneath and look up through the subframe, you should see a small hole right at the bottom of the casting normally with a little jiggle pin floating around in the hole to keep it clear. No major oil drip here and you should be OK. The clutch /flywheel are inside this oil free housing. If you ever have to have a new clutch it pays to have the main crank oil seal inside replaced at same time as an insurance policy. It can be done in situ and is easier with a few special tools.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my leak's dead center, pooling right where the gearshift rod is, so I think I'm good... I'll check it when I crawl under the car though, just to be sure - thanks!

Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Leak is fixed! 2 days now and nothing. I ended up not using the aluminum bushing that came in my "upgrade" kit - I think someone already installed one, as with the bushing in the gearshift hole there wasn't enough depth for the rubber seal. The entire seal was out of the gearbox when I got under there - it was just sitting loose on the shaft.

Thanks to everyone that offered me advice - it was amazingly helpful!

Old 07-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great news! The Fiona Valdez has been patched. These little issues only build character. Before long you'll be a real character my friend.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:47 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Am I sick? Because I was under the car this weekend fixing this, and I was actually thinking "You know... it's not TOO greasy under here... I could get some Simple Green and a scrubber and have this grunge off here lickity split"

That seems sick to me. Like OCD sick... Should I seek help?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Ashley3D
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Word of warning. The oily grim built up on the under carage is a MINIs natural protection against rust. Wiping the MINI clean will only promote rust.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Minimad
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Am I sick? Because I was under the car this weekend fixing this, and I was actually thinking "You know... it's not TOO greasy under here... I could get some Simple Green and a scrubber and have this grunge off here lickity split"

That seems sick to me. Like OCD sick... Should I seek help?
Sorry, there is no help available.... you've got OCMD, the worst kind...

I'm on the "keep it clean & tidy" side of this issue. Nothing worse than getting all greasy every time you work on your Mini. It is totally unecessary once the leaks are fixed...

Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Matt, you're going to need a bigger bottle of Simple Green......

http://rshughes.com/products/043318_...&refcp=froogle

Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ashley3D
Word of warning. The oily grim built up on the under carage is a MINIs natural protection against rust. Wiping the MINI clean will only promote rust.
On the sump/gearbox? That's alloy, isn't it? I was taking about the motor, not the undercarriage proper. I'm already looking into investing in a Waxyol applicator wand for this winter...

Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
That's a good thing to know

Old 07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Hogwash! The parts that get the oily buildup (ie, down the center underside of the car, tunnel etc) are the parts that don't rust....everything from there out does....

Oily buildup and accumulated dirt hold moisture in a car. IMHO its best to keep it clean so it has opportunity to dry.