Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009 | 05:33 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
AWESOME Storytelling MiniOla!! I'd buy your books in a heartbeat!!

Now if Hubby wants to ban you from the computer for a time (a really...really short time) that's OK...we've gotten our story and you have become a great detective!!

I am humbled.

Now just make sure you don't start a post giving away a FREE CLASSIC MINI... 'cause now we know when and where you went to school!

BTW- I was SURE the birds were going to get that last touchdown... however... as many of you probably were thinking... that was a STUNNER!

Still liking birds and the color red.

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:11 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
You're the "bees knees" 'Ola!!! Even though I wasn't right in my guess, it was a good cliffhanger.

Originally Posted by miniola
I can never remember the little rhyme... red touches black- look out jack? friend of jack? red touches yellow- look out fellow? mellow fellow?

Fortunately I don't see them often... so I'm not much of a killing machine.

We had this harmless looking baby snake by my poolside door and it was very aggressive and jumping at us. It was about 10" long and I put a stick down near it to push it away from the dog and I. Glad I was able to get to it before the dog. It was a pygmy rattlesnake and it had little fangs with whitish liquid coming out! I've seen the BIG rattlesnake in the road once and it was around 5-6 feet long but it was REALLY THICK! Like the size of my forearm thick.
I like snakes - I'll take them over creepy crawlies any day! When we lived in japan (I was 5-6yrs old), i remember getting a "briefing" (military brat - got briefings instead of "classes" on these kinds of topics) about the very dangerous Black Habu snake. Annnnd I also remember taking my baby brother (who was 1.5-2? at the time) and we went hunting through the grasses for the Habu. As a matter of fact, my feral kitties tend to bring me little snakes (dead, mostly) as "presents." I've collected at least two interesting little specimens, and tossed a few more. Yes, I've always been a little off kilter.

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:22 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
I can never remember the little rhyme... red touches black- look out jack? friend of jack? red touches yellow- look out fellow? mellow fellow?
Red and yellow, kill a fellow (Coral snake, poisonous), red and black, friend of Jack (King snake, good one to have around).

I never depended on the rhyme myself either. I used to handle all the reptile calls for a police department in Pinellas county. I always had my Audubon Society book of Snakes on hand to ID the snakes that had look-a-likes.

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:26 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
Red and yellow, kill a fellow (Coral snake, poisonous), red and black, friend of Jack (King snake, good one to have around).

I never depended on the rhyme myself either. I used to handle all the reptile calls for a police department in Pinellas county. I always had my Audubon Society book of Snakes on hand to ID the snakes that had look-a-likes.
Which reminds me of another "good or bad?" indicator... "GOOD" snakes (i.e. not harmful) have ROUNDED irises. "BAD" snakes have cat-like irises (i.e. slit.) Which always begged the question in MY mind: WHO THE HELL IS GETTIN' THAT CLOSE TO MAKE THE DETERMINATION!?!?!?

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:28 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
You're the "bees knees" 'Ola!!! Even though I wasn't right in my guess, it was a good cliffhanger.

I like snakes - I'll take them over creepy crawlies any day! When we lived in japan (I was 5-6yrs old), i remember getting a "briefing" (military brat - got briefings instead of "classes" on these kinds of topics) about the very dangerous Black Habu snake. Annnnd I also remember taking my baby brother (who was 1.5-2? at the time) and we went hunting through the grasses for the Habu. As a matter of fact, my feral kitties tend to bring me little snakes (dead, mostly) as "presents." I've collected at least two interesting little specimens, and tossed a few more. Yes, I've always been a little off kilter.
"bees knees" ... cute . Thanks.

I'm not fond of the creepy crawlies either. You took your baby brother to look for the dangerous killer snake? Guess you weren't lying when you said you were independent when you were 3!

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:35 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear

Fortunately I don't see them often... so I'm not much of a killing machine.

We had this harmless looking baby snake by my poolside door and it was very aggressive and jumping at us. It was about 10" long and I put a stick down near it to push it away from the dog and I. Glad I was able to get to it before the dog. It was a pygmy rattlesnake and it had little fangs with whitish liquid coming out! I've seen the BIG rattlesnake in the road once and it was around 5-6 feet long but it was REALLY THICK! Like the size of my forearm thick.
It's actually the smaller ones that have the more potent venom. Poison has to act faster or they don't eat.

Originally Posted by RJKimbell
+1 I'm a Sun Bum at <3 I grew up in AZ, Tempe HS 1982!!
Boy, am I dating myself or what!!??
What a game, I thought we had it there for a while (Ok, 30 seconds).
Yep, you dated your self. I graduated in 82 too (Pueblo County HS).

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:41 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC

Yeah, when I'm freaking out about a snake... I'm just freaking out about a snake. There's usually some kind of screaming involved... perhaps a bit of running... arms flailing... dog going crazy 'cause she thinks I'm being attacked and she needs to kill something for me. I usually take a picture once it's not moving and look at the internet for ID. Personally I'd rather get the plague from a crazy mouse.

The Audubon books are very nice. I have one for birds... much nicer process id'ing those!

And x uh oh x- I can't imagine being close enough to see the eyes! THAT is hilarious!

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:48 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
It's actually the smaller ones that have the more potent venom. Poison has to act faster or they don't eat.

What a game, I thought we had it there for a while (Ok, 30 seconds).
Yep, you dated your self. I graduated in 82 too (Pueblo County HS).
THAT GAME was SO stressful to watch... and I didn't even have any emotional attachment to either team! I don't know the Cardinals history/players but I was hoping they were like the Bucs (who usually pick up lots of points in the last quarter). And what was up with #92 on PS? Holy crap... was like he was having 'roid rage or something. Maybe he was just really pumped after that mad dash to the end zone. Awesome play by him but then he was kind of a jerk.

Old 02-01-2009 | 09:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Cards could have won, but with all of the PENALTIES...Geeeeezzzz!!

Time for Bed...Nite All!!

Old 02-01-2009 | 09:09 PM
miniola
6th Gear

Good night.

Old 02-02-2009 | 05:07 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
good morning all,
Any news on Pete this morning???

I had a fun time last night, considering it was my first superbowl viewing.... shhhhh don't tell anyone, but I found myself yelling for the red team... my mom is a big football fan and coached me through the whole game and rules, and why 2 minutes is really 45 minutes.
Hubby got home at half time and we had a fun night lots for junk food.
My favorite commrcial, Moose head on the wall, think that was careerbuilders.com (i can relate) or the Clydesdale hourses (always a favoirte).

well off to get my taxes done.... i hate waiting to the last minute.

Cabway?????????? Pete???????? we want some good news...

OLA- thanks again for that great story, any more????

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:04 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
My mom has 2 crime stories

She has one that she was directly involved in, and one that she witnessed. Obviously, the one she had a role in is much more exciting than the other. Which would you like to read first?

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:23 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Hi everyone! Busy weekend? I need to get on the tax stuff too! Not one of my favorite topics.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:25 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
She has one that she was directly involved in, and one that she witnessed. Obviously, the one she had a role in is much more exciting than the other. Which would you like to read first?
How about telling us the one that's least exciting...that way you can build up to the good stuff - ya know, get all the character sketch outta the way first....

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:31 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
The trailer park is from her GPS video (sadly no longer available) and unless she was just "cruising" I think thats her latest home (unless you count Key West). Here's some map coordinates: 29°13’28”N 82°03’36”W

I've heard it is easy to fake things on the internet.
Well, according to my eye witness her BMW was spotted in the trailer park, and according to the manager (atleast that's what I would call her), when I mentioned if a Sandy lived there who used to own a MINI, I got this response. "Yea, I know whom you talking about"...""She don't have it no more..."

I was always told (in Boy Scouts) "Red touches Black, you're a lucky Jack." "Red touches Yellow.........kiss your @$$ goodbye." Ok so maybe that last part was just modified It's supposed to be "Red touches Yellow, you're a dead fellow" I like the first one better

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:17 AM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Okay on a brighter note:

Anyone have any good Super Bowl plans? We are going to a friends house and luckily they live maybe 2 miles away so I can get back to Petey in a timely fashion.....

now this is just my opinion and you all can shoot me down if you don't like it but I think the next installment of the mini series should come tonight after the Super Bowl.....we can all get online and read and comment to our hearts content then......'Ola, will this be the final part???
I was going to ask if miniola could write it in 3D so I could use those glasses for something else! A little late for that though. This is for the “pooping pooch named Pete.”

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:20 AM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
Super Bowl Commercials Favs...

Of the commercials, that I didn’t miss, I liked the Mean Joe Green spoof, Coke Zero: Mean Troy.

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:27 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-IZED
I was going to ask if miniola could write it in 3D so I could use those glasses for something else! A little late for that though. This is for the “pooping pooch named Pete.”

YOU HAD GLASSES?!?!

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:42 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
good morning all,
Any news on Pete this morning???

I had a fun time last night, considering it was my first superbowl viewing.... shhhhh don't tell anyone, but I found myself yelling for the red team... my mom is a big football fan and coached me through the whole game and rules, and why 2 minutes is really 45 minutes.
Hubby got home at half time and we had a fun night lots for junk food.
My favorite commrcial, Moose head on the wall, think that was careerbuilders.com (i can relate) or the Clydesdale hourses (always a favoirte).

well off to get my taxes done.... i hate waiting to the last minute.

Cabway?????????? Pete???????? we want some good news...

OLA- thanks again for that great story, any more????
So it sounds like it was actually a good thing that hubby got called in to work!

I laugh about your "2 minutes is really 45 minutes" comment. It is SO true! I had actually decided to jump in the tub just around the end of the third quarter and I was just relaxing in the bubbles watching the game. I needed to get out of the tub but the last 4 minutes just turned crazy! And then the last two minutes were even crazier! The last minute was almost unbearable... but rinsing off and getting out would mean that I would surely miss some important play. Needless to say... I was quite pruny... but overall, my skin was still intact!

I wonder where cabwy is. Maybe she had to take Pete to get x-rays. I hope he's ok... I'm a little worried.

Last edited by miniola; 02-02-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2009 | 11:49 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
Well, according to my eye witness her BMW was spotted in the trailer park, and according to the manager (atleast that's what I would call her), when I mentioned if a Sandy lived there who used to own a MINI, I got this response. "Yea, I know whom you talking about"...""She don't have it no more..."

I was always told (in Boy Scouts) "Red touches Black, you're a lucky Jack." "Red touches Yellow.........kiss your @$$ goodbye." Ok so maybe that last part was just modified It's supposed to be "Red touches Yellow, you're a dead fellow" I like the first one better
"She don't have it no more"... awesome! The mullet was totally relevant.

As for the snake... I like your modified version better. Just wondering... is it more acceptable to put @$$ rather than ***? I think "***" is PC now... just guessing.

Skillet did you like my story?

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:51 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Was she driving a MINI or a Mini?

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:53 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Hi everyone! Busy weekend? I need to get on the tax stuff too! Not one of my favorite topics.
Agreed.

I'm working on cleaning out the office today.

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:55 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
start typing.... the one she was involved in...

Old 02-02-2009 | 12:00 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
well just got back from dropping off the taxes....
big return wishes to everyone!!!!

Old 02-02-2009 | 12:02 PM
skillet
6th Gear
"She don't have it no more"... awesome! The mullet was totally relevant.

As for the snake... I like your modified version better. Just wondering... is it more acceptable to put @$$ rather than ***? I think "***" is PC now... just guessing.

Skillet did you like my story?
You're crime story? I though it was awesome I wish I had a reason to chase someone in my MINI. I keep begging a friend of mine on the force to chase me in his unit through the country and try and keep up with me

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...