Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009 | 12:04 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
You're crime story? I though it was awesome I wish I had a reason to chase someone in my MINI. I keep begging a friend of mine on the force to chase me in his unit through the country and try and keep up with me
That sounds like it would be an awesome trip!

Old 02-02-2009 | 01:05 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
The lesser of the 2 Mom crime stories

The shorter, less exciting crime story:

My mother is now retired after working almost 30 years in the banking industry. So she has a lot of time to relax around the house, and one day, as she is enjoying her cup of coffee, she looks out the back window. Behind my parents' house is an apartment complex, and the ground floor units have windows that are level with the ground (hmm, maybe that's why they call them that?). On a side note: when we were kids, someone left what looked like a piece of human poo on the windowsill of one of the ground units. My brother insisted that he saw the paperboy do it. Non-paying customer, maybe?

Its a fairly large complex (4 buildings, probably around 200 units total), so people are moving in or out on a fairly regular basis. My mom sees 3 men wearing hoodies (it was late fall, so it was cold enough) with the hoods up, and they are moving out an apartment full of goodies. The funny things were that nothing was boxed up and they were moving it all out through the window instead of the door. Odd, but my mom didn't really give it a whole lot of thought.

It turns out she should have. A couple hours later, my mom sees the police talking to some people right outside the now mostly-empty apartment's window. The three guys were stealing all that stuff! In broad daylight! Not even trying to hide (although the unit was on the backside, since that is what faces my parents' house).

So she wasn't in danger or even involved in the crime, but she was, apparently the only witness. In the second Mom crime story, it's the complete opposite!!

Old 02-02-2009 | 01:09 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Was she driving a MINI or a Mini?
Neither of my mom's stories involve motor vehicles. I doubt that she has even been in a MINI/mini. She's 2100 miles away from me and mine.

Old 02-02-2009 | 01:09 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
wow MCWill, did they catch them?

Old 02-02-2009 | 01:11 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Neither of my mom's stories involve motor vehicles. I doubt that she has even been in a MINI/mini. She's 2100 miles away from me and mine.
2100 miles away? SO?
sounds like a road trip for a spin!!

Old 02-02-2009 | 01:13 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
wow MCWill, did they catch them?
I don't think so. She didn't really pay much attention to what the vehicle was ("Some kind of pickup truck" doesn't really narrow it down much) or anything other than 3 guys wearing jeans and some dark hoodies. They were LONG gone by the time the cops showed up and she realized what had happened.

Old 02-02-2009 | 02:22 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Cabwy, we are very worried!!! please let us know everything went ok today!

Old 02-02-2009 | 03:14 PM
miniola
6th Gear
CABWY????

Worried.

Didn't check to see when she was last on here... but I know I saw her little green light on last night for a bit. No comments from her though. Still hoping everything's ok.

Not related- earlier I was looking up the park in Silver Springs. Since it's been cold, the manatee goes into the "warmer" springs. I've always wanted to go. Silver Springs is like an old school park... not like Disney but it's got lots of history. I found out that there really ARE monkeys there as a result of a release for tourism purposes. I am putting in a couple of links for anyone that's interested. I had no idea that they filmed "Creature From the Black Lagoon" there! That movie with the Gill-man scared the crap out of me when I was a kid! I think I'm still afraid of that guy! Anyway, I'll post the link for the history of that park and a link to a pic of the manatee.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:J5XGYIkptFoJ:www.silversprings.com/heritage.html+monkeys+at+silver+springs%3F&hl=en&c t=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/971747.jpg

Old 02-02-2009 | 05:53 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Cabwy hasn't been on since 8:22 am this morning, but doesn't look like she posted anything, unless I missed it.
I'm very worried, OLA, this is not like her and hoping Pete came through todays ordeal ok.

Old 02-02-2009 | 07:02 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Still nothing? And no it's not like her to not be here... especially by now.

Last edited by miniola; 02-02-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2009 | 08:03 PM
miniola
6th Gear
cabwy... this is not a good sign.

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:15 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Hi guys!! I 'm sorry to make you all worry but it was a really hard night/ morning and Pete was at the vets all day with no word and then finally to be told that uhm, we think he has an obstruction and let's schedule an unltrasound,,, this is after a FULL day at the vets!! Let me tell you I was livid. I mean she has been saying that since Saturday, and there were some things that really showed me that the vet and her staff weren't giving Pete the tests and time that he needed.
Pete had a horrible night, lots of pain- I was up at 3 am again holding him and trying to warm him. so I was in no mood for that poor pup to suffer through another long night.

So, off to the Animal Hospital that several of my friends and clients recommended and we just got home a little while ago. And I am just tired, I did peek on last night and if I did this morning I really don't remember??!! I started clients at 8 am and I did get up this morning to research different dog illnesses...but there was no way that I was on at 8:22am,, I just remembered,,,, Gem, I think you have mentioned that your time is off and hour or so on here?
I just was too tired and in no mood to write anything, my mind was racing trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and get Petey the care he needed. But I should have and I apologize. I really was starting to think we might lose the little fella and just didn't want to give voice to that thought.

Anyways they have ruled out an obstruction for now.,, mainly a bad infection and well, I won't hit all of the sticky stinky details but there are some more tests to be run tomorrow but I am at least not so scared,, for now. He has some meds to make him more comfortable and he is sleeping now.

I loved your story miniola and I promise to catch up soon but I am so tired----------anger and worry are so draining! And hey! It is snowing again!

Again I love the toilet smileys,,, you guys are all great...

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:16 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
night night you guys,,,

Old 02-02-2009 | 09:31 PM
2phun
4th Gear
lol, just started typing in "Sandy Gambino" into google and it showed 93,200 results.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:11 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Oh cabwy sorry for your sucky time. I just thought I'd check in again before I shut 'er down. So sorry about Pete. Boy, Doctors and Vets... ugh... SO FRUSTRATING sometimes! I'm glad that you took him somewhere else! Yeah, getting on here and trying to type something when you're exhausted and upset is not good. We were just worried and wanted to let you know that we care.

I remember taking my cat Abby to the ER vet ONE TIME. Waited in the waiting room for more than 3 hours. Got in and the "VET" (term used loosely) told me that she looked "like a perfectly fine kitty cat"... like I was some paranoid mother. I told him that she was sitting behind the toilet and that she wasn't ok. He was going to just send me home after all that waiting. It was after 1AM when he finally took blood (at my insistence) and it was going to be another hour or so before they'd know anything. I told him that I needed to go home and sleep since I had an early morning meeting and that I couldn't wait another hour or more. He was surprised that I would leave and I was confused... seeing as how he said there was nothing wrong with her. Of course he had no answer as to why someone couldn't have taken blood when I first got there! Plus it had really pissed me off that I could hear him chit-chatting with some other people in the other room while I waited.

About 2:45AM I got a call and was told that I needed to bring her in immediately due to her nearly complete renal failure. He said she needed to be in the hospital on IV fluids. I get her ready again, take her back and when I get there (3AM-ish) I am told that I have to come back and pick her up by 6:30AM because they do not hold any pets during the day. I was already feeling so sick and so I had to get ready for my early appointment and somehow finagle picking her up and taking her to my regular vet so she could be kept there for a few days. Then after all that, Abby died in less than 24 hours after I brought her home.

Learning experience I guess. If I had it to do over again... well actually I guess I do have it to do over again with Josie. She's got her full belly and her Katcheeze treats... purring and loving with her furry mitts on the heating pad beside me. I still can't believe that she's still here! She was supposed to be "gone" in September! Thankfully I had noticed the signs quicker this time... the whole issue with Abby was just crushing. I couldn't even talk to anyone for days.

Wishing you and Pete the best. Hang in there. (Ok... picture that silly poster of the kitten hanging from the tree branch! )

BTW- Kiki... I still can't believe that Krissy couldn't walk because of an enlarged prostate! Ever since you said that, it's been on my mind. Amazing.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:15 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2phun
lol, just started typing in "Sandy Gambino" into google and it showed 93,200 results.
Yeah... good luck weeding that down.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:25 PM
2phun
4th Gear

What a cute little place. Gotta love the internet.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:27 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
If you do it with the "quote" marks as above, it only shows 51 returns.

I know there had been previously posted a story about Johnny Depp's Birthday party that featured Sandy Gambino,

Google had a Russian site with a video from the same party:

http://video.mail.ru/mail/johnnydeppfan/56/57.html

Google automatically translated the page, but the video is a Flash Player and I did not watch it.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:56 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
BTW- Kiki... I still can't believe that Krissy couldn't walk because of an enlarged prostate! Ever since you said that, it's been on my mind. Amazing.
I know, I could not believe it either. He actually drug his useless hind legs behind him. It started a little on a Friday and I thought that he had hurt his back. He just acted a bit stiff and like it hurt when he walked. By Saturday it was worse and by late Sunday he lost total use of his legs. We rushed him to the Vet Monday morning and I was a total basket case. I just knew that the news was going to be bad. Within an hour the Vet said it was his prostate and that he needed to take meds to get the swelling down and then he would be scheduled for surgery in about a week. Within a few days he was walking a bit better and of course even better after the surgery.

Because the prostate had pressed on the spine, it had pinched some nerves which caused muscle damage. But after a few months the nerves recovered and the muscles began building up again. He wore his cone head for two weeks and then the stitches came out.

Now to gross everyone out. Friday night he did the same thing he did two years ago. He spit up in his cone head. Ugh! I washed him up but because I cannot wet his stitches, he still smells like baby spit-up. Poor baby, he cannot get away from his own smell. He goes back to the Vet on Wednesday to remove the stitches and lose the cone head. Oh and the mats in his ears. He is going to hate getting brushed. He hates it anyway, but he is really going to have a fit. Maybe I just cut the length off his ears and we start over. His top-notch is a mess anyway as they shaved his head in various areas to remove some growths. He looks like he has a scalp condition with various bare patches. No matter, he is still my baby and I love him - bald spots and smell to boot!

I showed him this picture, but ..... he does not seem to be sold on it, ha ha. I will keep looking.

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-bald-dog.jpg  
Old 02-03-2009 | 04:42 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Cawby,

I'm glad Pete has some medication and is sleeping. At least there is no obstruction as well. You did mention he had bits of pooh, so maybe things will be improving. I'm hoping for you and Pete.

A good vet is everything. I'm blessed with a great one. When Munchie had his bladder blocked I had to use the emergency vet on Sat. They put a cath in, cleared the obstruction, and kept him on IV fluids. (He was maybe 24 hours from renal failure.) I picked him up with Cath still in and took him to my vet on Monday morning. The cath caused some urethra scarring and my poor kitty, even unblocked wasn't able to urinate. For a week, my vet had me bring him in in the morning and evening, drew urine from his bladder with a needle through the stomach, while keeping him on demerol. I was in tears about the whole time. On friday, he said he might need to operate and asked me to leave him with him over the three day holiday weekend. The operation would have been like a sex change operation basically, creating a wider urethra opening, not as susceptible to blockage. My vet on a three day weekend cared for Munchie all weekend, and called my two to three times a day to tell me his progress. He did a bunch of stuff to try to get him to urinate on his own. Sunday morning he called and said he'd schedule surgery on tuesday after the three day weekend and that Munchie was doing fine. He was going to put a cath back in monday morning in prep for the surgery. Well he called Monday morning and said Munchie started peeing on his own, no surgery required. Anyway to make a long story short, my vet is fantastic. He spent his whole holiday weekend caring for Munchie and trying everything to avoid surgery, and it worked.

I remember when we brought Munchie home thinking we had a 8 week old kitten found in a garbage can at an interstate fast food place. I took him Monday morning to this vet. Munchie had pneumonia, two types of worms, puss coming out of every orifice, and ear mites. My vet gave him a whole bag of about 7 different medicines and vitamins, cleaned him up. He told us Munchie was malnourished and stunted as he was really 4 months old, not eight weeks. He sent me home with Munchie and told me to come back in about 2 weeks and let me know how he was doing in the interim. I think his assistant called a few times. The whole visit was 90 bucks medicines included. I don't think he thought Munchie was going to make it and charged us accordingly. When I came back, Munchie was better and had put on a pound or two. The vet looked at him and proclaimed that 'you have to be the luckiest cat alive'. Munchie was a fighter, small, stunted, but with a heart of a lion, which was why the Mini was named after him.

I've use this guy for 20 years and 5 cats. I put more care into finding a good vet then I did my own doctor. At least I can speak for myself, the cat can't. A good vet is priceless.

Well Cawby, I don't know why I went into all that. My best advice is love Pete, one of the best medicines. I can say from experience, that our love for Munchie pulled him through a couple of bad times and today I can see that look in his eye every time he looks up at me while sitting in my lap.

Old 02-03-2009 | 05:57 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Gooood morning all!!! Poor Krissy!!! I think somehow I missed that he was recovering from a surgery??? Or my mind has forgotten it with all of the trauma this past week?? that was one of the first things they were worred about with Petey-- I guess those enlarged Prostates can casue all kinds of troubles.
Petey is still feverish and shivering but I really think that he looks a little brighter. He just ate and hasn't vomited so I am starting to relax and can now believe that there is no obstruction.
Yep the first vet is history I never had to "fire" a vet in person and it was very cathartic to not mince words and tell her how disappointed I was in her lack of concern....and lack of professionalism.
so, hopefully you won't have to hear me drone on about Petey and his poop or lack of it,,, tell you what when he officially "goes" I will mnake an announcement!!

so now tell me,,2phun--- is that a shot Sandy's house?? I feel like I am so out of the loop on here

Old 02-03-2009 | 07:35 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Cabwy, good to hear from you! I'm late this morning!!!
Please don't appologize to not getting on here, and yes my time is off by and hour (forgot and can't seem to fix it).
I'm so glad of all the above, no blockage, and he was able to keep his food down and new vet!!
I agree with everyone, I interview many vets until i found the "right" one for my princess. they can't talk -you can!
I'm sorry all I forgot to ask how Krissy, Josie and Munchie are doing!!!
Cabwy, please know i'm praying for Pete and a quick recovery, Get back to us when you can and keep postive thoughts!!!

Old 02-03-2009 | 09:31 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2phun

What a cute little place. Gotta love the internet.

Old 02-03-2009 | 09:46 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
Well Cawby, I don't know why I went into all that. My best advice is love Pete, one of the best medicines. I can say from experience, that our love for Munchie pulled him through a couple of bad times and today I can see that look in his eye every time he looks up at me while sitting in my lap.
I know the reason why I talked about Abby & Josie... probably the same reason you've talked about Munchie and Kiki talked about Krissy... because we all care for our furry babies and we're all trying to be supportive to cabwy. It's really stressful sometimes and it's nice to know that there's always HOPE out there.

Kiki- Krissy's got one heck of a stylin' "do"... almost looks like a Chinese Crested... VERY fashionable right now.

Old 02-03-2009 | 09:53 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
it's called unconditional.
same that they give us. It's only fair!

Pete will get better, just needs some time to pass this infection. He WILL get better. The more he sleeps and gets meds in him, he will get better.

This is the main reason I could never work for a Vet, I would love to be around animals all the time but I take every single animal to heart...

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...