Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:29 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
I'm guessing 'Ola lives in a developement where things like that are dictated. I know of such a place near me that has a huge list of what to do and not to do. Like never hanging anything outside on a clothesline...
We would be screwed since we hang our dive gear out to dry.

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:31 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
I'm guessing 'Ola lives in a developement where things like that are dictated. I know of such a place near me that has a huge list of what to do and not to do. Like never hanging anything outside on a clothesline...
We would be screwed since we hang our dive gear out to dry.
WOW...and here I thought living in a historic district was tough!

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:32 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Yeah, required. In certain neighborhoods throughout Florida (and probably in other states too) there are restrictions on types of grass on can have in the yard. It provides for a more uniform look from house to house. It also prevents me from putting down artifical turf or indoor/outdoor carpet!

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:39 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Yeah, required. In certain neighborhoods throughout Florida (and probably in other states too) there are restrictions on types of grass on can have in the yard. It provides for a more uniform look from house to house. It also prevents me from putting down artifical turf or indoor/outdoor carpet!
Because...you'd doooooo that, riiiight???? (Like rollin' nekkid on your house money, on your frieze carpet and taking pictures!!!)

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:47 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Hey all....

Just got caught up on the last week's worth of stuff. Loved the Mini Story... So much going on and so little time..... Hope Pete is on the mend - one feels so helpless when a pet is very ill and here is nothing you can do

Have been traveling and then playing clean-up at home. My lovely wife unfortunately left the faucet running in our 2nd floor laundry room and by the time she noticed it the laundry room was underwater, it had spread to 2 adjoining bedrooms, was cascading through the ceiling (that is now torn out) into the family room and was already pouring through there into the basement. No fun. Total accident - she feels awful about it, but it could have happened to any of us. I was worried about the whole second floor laundry thing, but didn't anticipate this one.

On a positive note... thought I would post an early picture of my classic being painted Island Blue. Looks like I caught the guy who is painting it in the background. It is being wet sanded and buffed out, so I will see the final finish this weekend when it comes home.

Free Classic Mini...-mini-painting.jpg

Skillet - some day I hope you get to fix up a classic!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:48 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Because...you'd doooooo that, riiiight???? (Like rollin' nekkid on your house money, on your frieze carpet and taking pictures!!!)
Someone's got to do something to keep people in line!

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:52 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OKMini
Hey all....

Just got caught up on the last week's worth of stuff. Loved the Mini Story... So much going on and so little time..... Hope Pete is on the mend - one feels so helpless when a pet is very ill and here is nothing you can do

Have been traveling and then playing clean-up at home. My lovely wife unfortunately left the faucet running in our 2nd floor laundry room and by the time she noticed it the laundry room was underwater, it had spread to 2 adjoining bedrooms, was cascading through the ceiling (that is now torn out) into the family room and was already pouring through there into the basement. No fun. Total accident - she feels awful about it, but it could have happened to any of us. I was worried about the whole second floor laundry thing, but didn't anticipate this one.

On a positive note... thought I would post an early picture of my classic being painted Island Blue. Looks like I caught the guy who is painting it in the background. It is being wet sanded and buffed out, so I will see the final finish this weekend when it comes home.

Attachment 39958

Skillet - some day I hope you get to fix up a classic!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

I've overflowed my tub TWICE! Both on purpose of course. Do you have a bathroom upstairs too? Could have had a leaky toilet or busted pipe at any time too... so laundry is no too bad.

Your car is looking really nice! Are you going to name it Brice? Pretty Please??

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:57 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Nice classic, OK!! Sorry to hear about the rest of the house. WOW...amazing what can happen when you don't pay attention. I get paranoid myself, just trying to make sure all stuff is turned off, etc.

And 'Ola, i would have pegged you more for keeping folks entertained than in line!!! (you'd JOIN the conga line!)

Old 02-04-2009 | 05:59 PM
miniola
6th Gear
I think I am in much too weird of a mood to be on here. There are two threads that have put me over the edge tonight.

First is the guy that is tired of his "Just-a-Cooper". He has talked about all of the problems that he has with it and then he explains that what his dream has always been is to have a FERRARI??? No car will ever fill that void he has. Funny, in reading the posts it seemed like "Apple" again.

Second is called "Rumble from the rear". So I'm just dying about it because I'm thinking about how Italian food causes mine. It's just too much! So he can't figure out what is making the sound and people are trying really hard to help him figure it out. He says to these people, "Everything is fine... you are thinking too much". He continues to say that it sounds like a "rubber ball in a can"... and so I just suggested that it was a rubber ball in his pipe? Is this supposed to be another riddle?

Old 02-04-2009 | 06:02 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Speaking of "rumble from the rear"... I've got to go.

I think the cold is making me crazy (er).

Bye for now.

Old 02-04-2009 | 06:03 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I think I am in much too weird of a mood to be on here. There are two threads that have put me over the edge tonight.

First is the guy that is tired of his "Just-a-Cooper". He has talked about all of the problems that he has with it and then he explains that what his dream has always been is to have a FERRARI??? No car will ever fill that void he has. Funny, in reading the posts it seemed like "Apple" again.

Second is called "Rumble from the rear". So I'm just dying about it because I'm thinking about how Italian food causes mine. It's just too much! So he can't figure out what is making the sound and people are trying really hard to help him figure it out. He says to these people, "Everything is fine... you are thinking too much". He continues to say that it sounds like a "rubber ball in a can"... and so I just suggested that it was a rubber ball in his pipe? Is this supposed to be another riddle?
Oh, like the threads about "Oh man, i got caught speeding - how can I beat the rap?" and they DON"T expect to get pummelled and lectured??? DUH.

Old 02-04-2009 | 06:28 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Hey cabwy, great news on Pete! Do you have one of those electic heating pads for pets? They don't get as hot as the people kind and they are perfect for the dogs as well as cats.
Hey silkamini, no we don't have one of the heating pads, and now that you mention it we should!!! We have his bed right up against our radiator and it has a cover so it doen'st get too hot but keeps a nice warm "glow" for him.

thanks again for all of your interest... hopefully he is on the mend and you all won't have to listen to this any longer!!!

Old 02-04-2009 | 06:32 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
thanks again for all of your interest... hopefully he is on the mend and you all won't have to listen to this any longer!!!
We care, so we listen.

Old 02-04-2009 | 06:36 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
OKmini,,, your mini is looking awesome!! I don't know much about classics but I love that little boot in the rear...... can't wait to see it completed...and that sucks about your home-- you win points for being so understanding about your wife's mistake. some people aren't that understanding and like you said she already feels horrible,,,,,

'Ola,, I saw those two threads also,,, I especially loved the "I really want a Ferrari" one

Old 02-04-2009 | 06:40 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
We care, so we listen.

Awwwww,,,,,

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:40 PM
miniola
6th Gear
OKmini,,, your mini is looking awesome!! I don't know much about classics but I love that little boot in the rear...... can't wait to see it completed...and that sucks about your home-- you win points for being so understanding about your wife's mistake. some people aren't that understanding and like you said she already feels horrible,,,,,

'Ola,, I saw those two threads also,,, I especially loved the "I really want a Ferrari" one
And I would love to have my own private island and lots of other things too.

cabwy- We just use a regular heating pad for Josie. We have one of those faux woolie beds with the rolled edges just sitting on top of the heating pad but you can just put a towel or two over it. We usually have it on low but she actually likes the next temp up. I don't leave it on when I'm away from the house. She really likes it and I think it's helped her.

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:41 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
BRRRRR Ola... it sounds bitter down your way. Of course, it was 4 degrees here this morning. ICK.

I think in the past in Florida when there is a freeze, the fruit industry gets out and sprays all the trees so a coating of ice protects the leaves and buds. They also do that with the strawberries. I wonder if you sprayed down the palms, even with the wind, it might help keep them from turning brown or killing the Palms?!

Best of luck- think warm thoughts and thanks for a GREAT crime Mini Series-

We have 3 large Foxtail palms that came with the house when we bought new... they were $1k for the set of 3... they are quite a bit taller than the roof. Since then we have purchased 15 other Foxtail Palms which are about 15 feet tall now. They are about 2.5 years old and although they weren't as big as the originals, if we were to replace to equal size probably would be at least $300-400 each. We have 8 Christmas Palms and 4 giant Fishtail palms. The Fishtail palms are over 20 feet high now. We've got lots of other plants too. but those don't concern me as much.

They talk about watering to keep the roots warm but the problem with palms is the heart which is at the top. I wouldn't mind watering even if I got in trouble but it's really windy right now. I think the palms will definitely get some major windburn. I think it was last year when we had some pretty cold temps and I went outside to take the dog out and the leaves on my plants were becoming dark and dripping water. They looked like frozen spinach.

Hopefully all the citrus and strawberries aren't killed.

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:46 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Hey, I was just looking online about different suggestions and I was thinking... I wonder if I turn the sprinklers on when it's below 32F... do you think I could make SNOW???? I could make my own tropical ski resort!

I'm making the husband stop and get another outdoor thermometer which can keep the minimum and maximum temps (mine is broken). I'll let you know how cold it gets.

Maybe I'll take the Coopers out for a spin after midnight so that the snowflake can come on! The snowflake = the MINI saying, "Don't you EVER EVER make me move somewhere cold!".

I think I'll need to keep the pool running tonight so that no pipes freeze there.
Speaking of "rumble from the rear"... I've got to go.

I think the cold is making me crazy (er).

Bye for now.
Hope you check back before turning the water on.

Christmas '89 Freeze (went to 27 for four hours), we lost a Mahogony and a Black Olive Tree, Only Because of the Sprinkler.

It was only intended to save some Bananas (lost them and much more anyway), but when power failed at 4 AM, the electric valve shut the water off and by restoration, it was froze and wouldn't sprinkle.

Water may work (hold 32f) Only if it is Continous, stop and then the ice does far more harm than dry cold would have done.

Never tried that again and have suffered no losses since.

Your Christmas and Foxtail Palms will be fine, as will most varities of Fishtale.

We have one prized Sealing Wax Palm (Lipstick Red Trunk, hates less than 50f) that I had to bring indoors (on a little truck), but she'll be too tall for that within a few years
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

As for OKmini's Laundry Room Accident, others have had Insurance cover damage from that.

Last edited by pilotart; 02-04-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2009 | 07:58 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Hope you check back before turning the water on.

Christmas '89 Freeze (went to 27 for four hours), we lost a Mahogony and a Black Olive Tree, Only Because of the Sprinkler.

It was only intended to save some Bananas (lost them and much more anyway), but when power failed at 4 AM, the electric valve shut the water off and by restoration, it was froze and wouldn't sprinkle.

Water may work (hold 32f) Only if it is Continous, stop and then the ice does far more harm than dry cold would have done.

Never tried that again and have suffered no losses since.

Your Christmas and Foxtail Palms will be fine, as will most varities of Fishtale.

We have one prized Sealing Wax Palm (Lipstick Red Trunk, hates less than 50f) that I had to bring indoors (on a little truck), but she'll be too tall for that within a few years
Thanks! I've been debating to do it or not to do it. I know with the crops they have to maintain it throughout the night. I'm thinking just another bunch of freezer burn is probably what will happen. Sometimes the news hypes things up and it's difficult to tell what's accurate. I've been here since '99. So do you think this cold will be like what you had in '89? Sorry about your trees.

OOOOOOOOOH you have a lipstick palm! I've seen those online and have thought about getting one. Very nice!

Thanks to TNMMAMA too! Glad you liked the story. You keep warm too.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:46 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hey silkamini, no we don't have one of the heating pads, and now that you mention it we should!!! We have his bed right up against our radiator and it has a cover so it doen'st get too hot but keeps a nice warm "glow" for him.

Hey Cab, I've been trying to keep up with this, but have been running so hard I keep passing myself... I'm glad Pete is doing better, my heart goes out to both of you.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:54 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Worst thing about Christmas '89 Freeze was that it got colder and held longer than the forecasts.

That being said, I don't think the morning freeze will approach the '89 event.

Sealing Wax gets covered for forecasts below 50f and trucked indoors for below 40f.

As for the lost Mahogany, judging by what Charlie did to her sister in the front yard, we were lucky not to have her, (suffered no building damage, but might have with the lost Mahogany in that location).

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:09 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Worst thing about Christmas '89 Freeze was that it got colder and held longer than the forecasts.

That being said, I don't think the morning freeze will approach the '89 event.

Sealing Wax gets covered for forecasts below 50f and trucked indoors for below 40f.

As for the lost Mahogany, judging by what Charlie did to her sister in the front yard, we were lucky not to have her, (suffered no building damage, but might have with the lost Mahogany in that location).
Will be interesting to see what happens. You're further south a bit so if it was that cold down there, I bet it was pretty harsh up here. Boy, I can't imagine moving further north... funny to see just how much colder it can get just north of Tampa.

So is the sister coming back from the Charlie damage? That's the thing about big trees... beautiful to look at but damaging if there are any storms. Dealt with the ice storm in Maine in 1998 and so many trees were broken... actually looked like a hurricane or tornado went through (except without damage to any homes). Glad you didn't suffer any building damage. I feel bad for the people further north getting all the ice and such. I've seen Kentucky on the news... and know there are others dealing with it to.

Good night friends.

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:22 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
cabwy- We just use a regular heating pad for Josie. We have one of those faux woolie beds with the rolled edges just sitting on top of the heating pad but you can just put a towel or two over it. We usually have it on low but she actually likes the next temp up. I don't leave it on when I'm away from the house. She really likes it and I think it's helped her.
Now don't laugh, but Krissy likes to use a hot water bottle when he is not feeling well. I bought him his own bottle and then I bought one of those fuzzy animal covers for him. His is a teddy bear cover but they have classic dog covers too. Is that like a Classic Mini and maybe they have a new generation as well? Anyway, I think because it gurgles and moves around it makes him more calm, like he is being comforted by him Mom? I fill it with really warm tap water and then slip it under his blanket with him... yes he has his own blanket too... and several beds, and sweaters, and a rain coat and a car seat. I might as well spill all; he also goes to Grandma and Grandpa's each day for daycare. There, I said it. I'm Kikimowse and I adore my dog.

Oooh ooh, I just had a thought! MINIUSA.com sells little MINI Cooper kids backpacks. A hot water bottle would fit into one of those! Your baby could cuddle up next to a MINI! Oh it's a must have. You could cut off the straps and there is a zipper where the front bumper would be. Yes I own one. I have also seen faux mink ones too, if that is more to you liking.

Glad to hear that Pete is progressing. Krissy is too. His conehead was removed yesterday and oh my how he had to tell me all about it last evening. If my "dog" interpretation is accurate, he told me about the trip to the Vet and then about the stitches being removed and then about his trip home with Grandpa, and about how he was so glad to be able to roll around again and not run into door jams. He must have talked for nearly 20 minutes. Needless to say he ate dinner and proceeded to "crash" and not wake up again until well after 7:00 am. He was a tired little guy.

We nearly had 70 degrees here today with rain coming in this evening. But I never saw the warm afternoon given that once in the building I don't come out again until after dark. This will be my first spring with MINI and I am so looking forward to some top down running. The mats in Krissy's ears from the conehead will be nothing compared to what he will have once I drive with the top down. We will both have dreadlocks before we are finished!

Oh one last thing before I sign off. Has anyone seen the little MINI Cooper Clock that you can download to your computer? It is on the British MINI site. It is too cute. Every hour on the hour the little MINI leaves the garage and zips around the clock, complete with sounds. Sometimes the cops chase it and other times it jumps over other Coopers. It's called the Cuckoo Clock Widget.

Well, get well yourself Cabway and continued good wishes to Pete. Fingers crossed Gemgirlpa. Catch you all later.

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-hot-water-bottle.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-mini-backpack.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:32 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Odd thing this past morning (Wednesday), while Naples and Fort Myers Airports reported 45f, Sarasota and Tampa were reporting 55f !

Will never recover, two 'prunings' (after truckloads of huge limbs had broken off) and all that remains is a twelve foot stump that still grows green suckers at the ends.

Look in the upper left corner of this photo to see some of what is left, (notice the face in the bark).

Old 02-05-2009 | 05:11 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Kikimowse, you crack me up... But I DO have one of the old MINI screen savers - it pops up with a SPEEDO (BMW style, not classic) that's a clock. It tracks the days and has a line-readout at the bottom with messages...VERY cool, but they won't let me use it at work. SIgh...so I have a MINI dashboard as my desktop!!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...