Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008 | 11:41 AM
miniola
6th Gear
I was too scared to ask for a "Fuzzy Navel". Sorry.

Old 12-08-2008 | 11:49 AM
Big Norm
6th Gear
i use to live in Aruba....just North of Fishermans Hut and 5 min south of the light house....i lived there for 3 yrs in 89-91..(before anyone knew about the place..lol)...i was a professional windsurfer for BIC.....here is as some pics from our vacation there last year

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  P3252366.jpg
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  DSC00254.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  53.4 KB

Old 12-08-2008 | 11:53 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
now there is vomiting on this thread????

taking down # 81 to get the bad taste out of my mouth

I am so torn,,, trying to track my own precious mini and keeping up with this to see when the classic shows up!!
New question,,why the name skillet? and edited to add that your photos of aruba are awesome!

Old 12-08-2008 | 12:17 PM
skillet
6th Gear
Nice photo's Norm...Ugh, I miss Aruba. Loved it a lot! Here's some photos while we wait.

Best steak in the world

We were fried by the end of the trip

Our catamaran dive trip

Miss it, miss it, miss it...

As for the name "skillet," my old name was "want-a-mini" (back when I was looking for one). Then I found one, and had to have a goofy name (VWVortex name was .:uberdork:. ) + I like the band Skillet. Good christian rock band.

Old 12-08-2008 | 12:47 PM
emu2swan
1st Gear
Beautiful pics, never had the pleasure myself.

Have no fear about the beer getting low on the wall, theres another wall yet, filled with all sorts. Cool huh. Pizza has been ordered, a hodgepodge of toppings to satisfy all tastes.

I wish I knew where Skillets car is. Can I call it a car? Hmm, I called it *his* car. I think of it as 100% his and he doesn't even have it yet. I hope you hear something soon about this buggy. Fingers and everything else I can cross is crossed.

Nabs 80

Old 12-08-2008 | 01:35 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
VEGGIE! C'mon, you need some meat on that pizza!

Ham and Pineapple, for me please!

BTW, love your sidewalk! Very nice!
Thank you!!! my hubby put all the "extras" on her... good thing he did- i was being practical, he added the "S" and the sidewalk and any other package available... all of a sudden my car went up about $10K thanks to him....

Vegetarian here, hold the ham on one slice!

Old 12-08-2008 | 01:50 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
I could kick myself for forgetting the Otto's event this weekend, and I think Holly is the greatest, she has been so patient and helpful during the flirting, ordering and waiting processes....! I live in Drexel Hill,,, if you know where that is? And yes, that is in Pa.
I am sure that we will meet up in the near future.
When will we see pictures of Otto's Christmas Mini Event??
My baby is supposed to hit the New York VDC on Friday...eeeeeeeekkkkk!
Friday- wooohhoooo may be for Skillet too!!
Yes i know where Chestnut Hill is -i'm near Gilbertsville/Pottstown area...I hope we meet very soon!
I am trying to figure out how to post photos of the Christmas party, as soon as i figure it out!!!

I'm not a beer drinker either, going for the wine!!

Old 12-08-2008 | 02:19 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Aruba
Jamaica
ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda
Bahama
come on pretty mama
Key largo
Montego
baby why dont we go
down to Kokomo...........

Old 12-08-2008 | 02:36 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
PIZZA?

Ship's cook's standing order was one large SPAM and anchovie for me on pizza nite underway!

Ahh, the Bering Sea, 30 foot rollers and a nice SPAM and Anchovie with hot sauce, and a Mt Dew

Now THAT'S a day at sea

And the leftovers for breakfast on Sunday (for some reason there were always leftovers, I guess the crew was afraid to eat the Captain's special pizza....)

Old 12-08-2008 | 02:44 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
[QUOTE=skillet;2582750]VEGGIE! C'mon, you need some meat on that pizza!

Ham and Pineapple, for me please! QUOTE]

Hey, nothin' wrong with a totally veggie pizza!

Old 12-08-2008 | 02:46 PM
skillet
6th Gear
Update: Sent Sandy an e-mail this afternoon asking for at least one picture so I can feed the wolves She's gonna try and take one and get it to me as soon as she can. She stated she was busy helping pack/ship "grandma's" things to Vancouver.

"Grandma" also has a name! Whew! Martha Bishop. Glad I can now say Martha instead of "Grandma"...felt a little disrespectful.

So...more pizza? If I keep eating, I'm gonna go from this to this

Old 12-08-2008 | 03:07 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Well, I got the original Aruba pics mixed up, sorry Big Norm!!
skillet, did you do some diving off of that Catamaran? I didn't actually dive while in Aruba but did dive in Barbados, Grenada and Bonaire--

Back to this classic- I am so bummed, was really hoping a picture would show up today, so much for my psychic abilities!

Old 12-08-2008 | 03:07 PM
skillet
6th Gear
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB

Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me)

Old 12-08-2008 | 03:18 PM
skillet
6th Gear
I probably should have used a better word than "Dive." Snorkeling is what it was, BUT I was down with the divers at one of the shipwrecks (shallow maybe 15-20 ft. down...didn't make for a long sight seeing trip). Had a blast! The water was just awesome. I'm currently collecting my scuba arsenal. Just need tank, bc, and some other small gadgets...

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:17 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
im a certified diver with both open water and nitrox, but didnt go diving because no-body who went with us on the trip wanted to go watch me dive aka: Bubble watchers....lol.....no need to dive in Aruba anyways, you can go out 50 miles into the ocean and still see bottom...lol

i found this in 15 ft of water while windsurfing.....turned around, dove down and brought it back to shore for a pic, then stuck it to the board for a ride back to where i got it...

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  51.3 KB

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:23 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
PIZZA?

Ship's cook's standing order was one large SPAM and anchovie for me on pizza nite underway!

Ahh, the Bering Sea, 30 foot rollers and a nice SPAM and Anchovie with hot sauce, and a Mt Dew

Now THAT'S a day at sea

And the leftovers for breakfast on Sunday (for some reason there were always leftovers, I guess the crew was afraid to eat the Captain's special pizza....)
Cap'n, you do know that SPAM is an acronym, right?

It stands for S**t Posing As Meat

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:30 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
Update: Sent Sandy an e-mail this afternoon asking for at least one picture so I can feed the wolves She's gonna try and take one and get it to me as soon as she can. She stated she was busy helping pack/ship "grandma's" things to Vancouver.

"Grandma" also has a name! Whew! Martha Bishop. Glad I can now say Martha instead of "Grandma"...felt a little disrespectful.

So...more pizza? If I keep eating, I'm gonna go from this to this

Now Skillet, you know what that Mini's name should be, don't you?

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:36 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
time for a beer but i forgot what number....lol.....i' guess i'll take number 79.....by the way, look what im getting made for my big giant 84 Suburban

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:52 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Big Norm
im a certified diver with both open water and nitrox, but didnt go diving because no-body who went with us on the trip wanted to go watch me dive aka: Bubble watchers....lol.....no need to dive in Aruba anyways, you can go out 50 miles into the ocean and still see bottom...lol

i found this in 15 ft of water while windsurfing.....turned around, dove down and brought it back to shore for a pic, then stuck it to the board for a ride back to where i got it...

awesome,, bet that star fish loved the wind surfing!! *L* I am a certified Rescue diver and also Nitrox... my husband went insane and took it through to instructor... best diving we've done so far was on a liveaboard in Palau.
skillet, keep collecting the parts and gadgets for diving, soon you will be there!

okay, no word on the classic mini,,eh?? I am starting to think that I will have my new clubman before you get that car!!

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:47 PM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
I had #78, man can't wait for the pic !

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:04 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
In the boredom - (Oopps sorry Skillet) - excitement of waiting for pics, or anything for that matter, I have been wondering how long an "automatic" mini has been around. For those that are wondering....

Based on Wikipedia:

From October 1965 the option of an Automotive Products (AP) designed four-speed automatic transmission became available

But then goes on to say....
  • April 1964: Introduction of the Austin and Morris Mini-Cooper 998, Mini-Cooper 970 S and Mini-Cooper 1275 S. 1275 S models have 1275 cc 76 bhp (57 kW) engine. Automatic transmission available as an option for the 998 cc Austin Mini-Cooper 998 and 1275 S. Previous Mini-Cooper 997 and 1071 S models dropped.
  • October 1965: Automatic transmission now available as an option on standard Austin/Morris Mini and Morris Mini SDL
Apparently, Automotive Products history is as follows...

Automotive Products Company was set up in 1920 to import and sell American-made components to service the fleet of ex-military trucks left behind in Europe after World War 1. In 1928 they obtained a licence for the manufacture and sale of the Lockheed Hydraulic Braking system for the British Isles and Continental Europe, and in the following year they acquired a controlling interest in Zephyr Carburettors Limited which had premises at Leamington Spa.
The company was re-named the Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Company Ltd and brake manufacture began. In 1931 the Borg & Beck Company Limited was set up to manufacture clutches under American patents from Borg & Beck in the USA. This allowed the company to sell British made Borg & Beck clutches in Great Britain, overseas British possessions and the Empire (except Canada).
The company became the UK's leading manufacturer and supplier of clutches and braking, and was dominant in the market until the end of the 1980s.
With the decline of the British Motor Industry, and increased competition from manufacturers in Europe, AP saw its sales shrink. The Leamington Spa site was gradually reduced until the business was broken up and sold in 2000 to Delphi (auto parts).
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_Products"

Was there a version of the automatic prior to the Automotive Products version in 1965?

Now that the history lesson is complete, I'll claim bottle #78

Anyone out there with an Automatic Classic???? How about some pics of one while we wait

Reading about the "decline of the British Motor Industry" reminds me of our current issues with the Big 3 and that I work in this industry

Is it possible to lay claim for beers #1 thru #77 in case of emergency

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:16 PM
skillet
6th Gear
Cabwy: Certified Rescue Diver, huh? Cool! I'm a certified rescue swimmer, line tender, extrication technician, blah, blah, blah... Pretty neat. Are you on a department?

Norm: Those are some long fingernails my friend

On another note, while updating our Garmin, they have an original Mini as one of the pictures in the slideshow while you wait...They also have an R56 on their website

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:19 PM
skillet
6th Gear
Thanks for the good read OKMini Very interesting. I'm a History Channel kinda guy

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:23 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Damn just saw the thread updated by Skillet..........was expecting pix?!?!??!!

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:24 PM
skillet
6th Gear
You and me both Here's bottle #77 on me

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...