Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:27 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
I'm sorry for you.

So there was a time when the husband was going to make brownies. The recipe stated to use a certain sized pan and cook for however many minutes per whatever sized pan. Well, I never have the exact sized pan and half the time I don't really measure anything... but somehow I've always managed. Since he can't deal with this matter of uncertainty (mind you that I'm certain our oven temp's not calibrated)... he gets the measuring tape, opens the oven and tries measuring the pan while it's cooking! So now we forever have brownie batter in the measuring tape and he's had the oven door open for some time while he does all the calculations.

There was also an issue once with liquid measurement (for cooking) and he was taking "surface tension" into account!

His "job" is to bother me (I think).
Boy... we need to get you watching Good Eats! Surface tension can matter with the practice of making batters for baked goods!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:27 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Old 02-23-2009 | 05:38 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Boy... we need to get you watching Good Eats! Surface tension can matter with the practice of making batters for baked goods!
I watch Good Eats all the time... . I think my right brain is just better at improvising. Now one of my faves is Ace of Cakes... thinking "outside the box". I'm sure by now you are all shocked by that revelation!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:39 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
I'm sorry for you.

So there was a time when the husband was going to make brownies. The recipe stated to use a certain sized pan and cook for however many minutes per whatever sized pan. Well, I never have the exact sized pan and half the time I don't really measure anything... but somehow I've always managed. Since he can't deal with this matter of uncertainty (mind you that I'm certain our oven temp's not calibrated)... he gets the measuring tape, opens the oven and tries measuring the pan while it's cooking! So now we forever have brownie batter in the measuring tape and he's had the oven door open for some time while he does all the calculations.

There was also an issue once with liquid measurement (for cooking) and he was taking "surface tension" into account!

His "job" is to bother me (I think).
I understand this completely!! my father in law was an aeronautical engineer, my husband is more on the accounting/finance line but he is extremely detail oriented, I guess from being raised by his father.... To the point of like you said, he can drive me nuts.... he can't do a simple chore quickly- he turns it into a huge detailed ordeal...... seriously!! And I am the fibbergibbet that is doing 5 things at once and stumping my toe on the corner and I multi task along. He watches and shakes his head....

My son was the kid that when he was given a new toy, instead of playing with whatever the toy was supposed to do he had it upside down checking out how it was put together. He made a nice little income in high school, he would put a sound system into his car and another guy would admire it and he would sell it and build another sound system , someone would buy it and this happened again and again. Of course he probably enjoyed building them more than anything.!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:40 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
I have absolutely no clue what this is?????

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:42 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Good find! But I especially like this guy you use...

Hey, I saw this ad on youtube the other day. I emailed it to my sister in law since she made my brother drive a lobster (that he won) to "the ocean" and set it free. If only he'd had a MINI!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:42 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
I have absolutely no clue what this is?????
Good Eats. Cooking show on Food Network hosted by Alton Brown, god of science and cooking, bane to unitaskers in every kitchen across America!!!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:48 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy

I understand this completely!! my father in law was an aeronautical engineer, my husband is more on the accounting/finance line but he is extremely detail oriented, I guess from being raised by his father.... To the point of like you said, he can drive me nuts.... he can't do a simple chore quickly- he turns it into a huge detailed ordeal...... seriously!! And I am the fibbergibbet that is doing 5 things at once and stumping my toe on the corner and I multi task along. He watches and shakes his head....

My son was the kid that when he was given a new toy, instead of playing with whatever the toy was supposed to do he had it upside down checking out how it was put together. He made a nice little income in high school, he would put a sound system into his car and another guy would admire it and he would sell it and build another sound system , someone would buy it and this happened again and again. Of course he probably enjoyed building them more than anything.!
I've wondered which part is most annoying... the "husband" or the "engineer". Girl, you feel my pain!

I've got to go for awhile... not sure if I'll be back tonight. Probably check in after 11:00. Bye for now. XOX

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:51 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
My dad is an engineer - and evidently that qualifies me to do engineer speak...so, ever since I was a baby Army officer, i've been tagged with working with the engineers. GOD HELP ME. It is SO frustrating!!!!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:51 PM
tc-mini
6th Gear
If it was straight black in a teeny cup with a tan colored foam on top, it was an espresso. If it had no tan colored foam on top, it was still an espresso, but made by a barista that has no clue. Properly made espresso should not taste bitter. It should have a strong flavor that almost tastes like bittersweet chocolate. The bottom of the shot should be black, with the middle being a medium brown called the heart and a deep tan foam on top which is called the crema. I can't imagine that you got a bad cup of coffee somewhere in Italy, but I suppose it could happen.

In Italy, if you want coffee like what most people here drink, you ask for an Americano. If you were given a large cup that was a beige color with about a third of the cup being a white foam on the top, it was a cappuccino. Cappuccinos are usually sweetened with some sugar while the milk is steamed.

No foam, but still beige in color is a latte, or cafe latte depending on which country in Europe you're visiting, which is actually the same thing as a cafe au lait, but cafe au lait is what they call lattes in France. Cafe au lait literally translates to "Coffee with milk". Lattes in America tend to have flavoring put in them. They don't tend to use flavoring in Italy for their coffee, or sugar... or much of anything else.

I do like Starbuck's peppermint mochas because the peppermint and the chocolate are so strong that they cover up the bitter flavor of starbucks poorly pulled espresso shots, but probably my favorite drinks at starbucks right now are actually their tea lattes. They have one called "The London Fog" which is earl gray tea with a shot of vanilla espresso syrup and they steep the tea in milk. It's very good. The vanilla flavoring brings out a floral lavendar sort of aroma to the earl gray. I'm trying to recreate these drinks at home and think I've almost got it with the vanilla rooibos.
RG - you probably already know this, but Starbucks sells their syrups to us commoners. Around here I pay $6.95 for one of their big bottles of Caramel or Vanilla, and they have sugar-free versions of both as well.
My wife likes the "TC-Bucks" I make at home better than the ones you pay $4.50 each for because I put in less syrup (and I make them with lactose-acid free milk so they don't cause any tummy troubles for some people).
Depending on the store, they may not let you buy the big bottles (they have little bottles of $3.00 each - a ripoff in my eyes). I usually buy something as a cover and then ask non-nonchalantly if they have extra bottles they can sell. I think the manager at the local SB is on to me....

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:55 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tc-mini
RG - you probably already know this, but Starbucks sells their syrups to us commoners. Around here I pay $6.95 for one of their big bottles of Caramel or Vanilla, and they have sugar-free versions of both as well.
My wife likes the "TC-Bucks" I make at home better than the ones you pay $4.50 each for because I put in less syrup (and I make them with lactose-acid free milk so they don't cause any tummy troubles for some people).
Depending on the store, they may not let you buy the big bottles (they have little bottles of $3.00 each - a ripoff in my eyes). I usually buy something as a cover and then ask non-nonchalantly if they have extra bottles they can sell. I think the manager at the local SB is on to me....
Around these parts, they carry espresso syrups at the grocery for about 5$ a bottle. I can also go to a wholesaler like costco or cash and carry and get them sometimes for 3$ each.... or you could try looking around on the internet. I am sure there are better mail order deals out there than 7$ a bottle.

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:05 PM
tc-mini
6th Gear
Around these parts, they carry espresso syrups at the grocery for about 5$ a bottle. I can also go to a wholesaler like costco or cash and carry and get them sometimes for 3$ each.... or you could try looking around on the internet. I am sure there are better mail order deals out there than 7$ a bottle.
I can't even find decent beans locally. I've tried all the local (5 or 6 miles) organic stores and fresh markets - they only have beans in bins that have been open to the elements for who-knows-how-long-since-they-were-last-refilled. Granted, living close to NYC there HAS to be a roasterie or two in the area - I just haven't found them yet.
In the meantime, I've been picking up beans at the local SB as well. I feel like a traitor to the rebel cause by going, but it's the only reliable source I've found so far!

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:38 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Golly! I'd probably drive you all crazy.

My career for the past 25 years has been metrology, the art of precise calibration. I'm into the details to the point of being OCD and **** retentive, or so I've been told. One of the downfalls of the job I guess.

Good Eats is one of my favorite shows on the Food Network. I like how he mixes culinary arts with a scientific viewpoint.

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:38 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Good find! But I especially like this guy you use...

Hey, I saw this ad on youtube the other day. I emailed it to my sister in law since she made my brother drive a lobster (that he won) to "the ocean" and set it free. If only he'd had a MINI!

That was really cute/funny!! Cooper ads are really clever~

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:41 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC

My career for the past 25 years has been metrology, the art of precise calibration. I'm into the details to the point of being OCD and **** retentive, or so I've been told. One of the downfalls of the job I guess.

Good Eats is one of my favorite shows on the Food Network. I like how he mixes culinary arts with a scientific viewpoint.

Well, let's just say we wouldn't want you in our kitchens!! I am so going to DVR Good Eats

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:43 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
good evening folks,
OLA- love that commercial.

wow, one thing i can say is we have such a great group of people on this thread, with great interests and views...

this is a great thread!

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:52 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
good evening folks,
OLA- love that commercial.

wow, one thing i can say is we have such a great group of people on this thread, with great interests and views...

this is a great thread!
HI Gem,,, good to "see" you tonight! I was thinking that I am about to sign off and would miss you........

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:57 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
yes, quiet night and i'm just checking emails then turning in.

how was your weekend?

Old 02-23-2009 | 07:03 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
well, i'm turning in now, a early night.
night all...

Old 02-23-2009 | 07:06 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
night all...
G'night!!!

Old 02-23-2009 | 07:33 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tc-mini
I can't even find decent beans locally. I've tried all the local (5 or 6 miles) organic stores and fresh markets - they only have beans in bins that have been open to the elements for who-knows-how-long-since-they-were-last-refilled. Granted, living close to NYC there HAS to be a roasterie or two in the area - I just haven't found them yet.
In the meantime, I've been picking up beans at the local SB as well. I feel like a traitor to the rebel cause by going, but it's the only reliable source I've found so far!
TC- if you want to get hermetically sealed, organic and fair trade beans, look into a local coop. You can usually find one by contacting United Natural Foods, Inc (the distributor for Whole Foods and most organic/natural food stores, plus the organic/natural distributor to most groceries stores). I believe the website is: www.unfi.com
I think once you're on there you can search for buying clubs in your area.

If that doesn't work, some bean producers are:
Cafe Altura (organic and fair trade beans) http://www.cafealtura.com/
Jim's Coffee (organic coffees, mostly wholesale though) http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/
Green Mountain Coffee (organic/free trade, this coffee is served in gas stations in Maine, NH and VT... best gas station coffee I've ever had) http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/
Equal Exchange- (organic free trade) http://www.equalexchange.coop/

those are some of the bean dealers I'm familiar with. I buy in 5 pound bags and keep them in the freezer.

Hope that helps-

Old 02-23-2009 | 08:15 PM
tc-mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
TC- if you want to get hermetically sealed, organic and fair trade beans, look into a local coop. You can usually find one by contacting United Natural Foods, Inc (the distributor for Whole Foods and most organic/natural food stores, plus the organic/natural distributor to most groceries stores). I believe the website is: www.unfi.com
I think once you're on there you can search for buying clubs in your area.

If that doesn't work, some bean producers are:
Cafe Altura (organic and fair trade beans) http://www.cafealtura.com/
Jim's Coffee (organic coffees, mostly wholesale though) http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/
Green Mountain Coffee (organic/free trade, this coffee is served in gas stations in Maine, NH and VT... best gas station coffee I've ever had) http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/
Equal Exchange- (organic free trade) http://www.equalexchange.coop/

those are some of the bean dealers I'm familiar with. I buy in 5 pound bags and keep them in the freezer.

Hope that helps-
Wow! Thanks for some good suggestions, and reminding me that I should be keeping issues like fair-trade in my thought process too. It's easy to forget these kinds of things when convenience overshadows personal ethics.

Old 02-23-2009 | 09:08 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC

HA! Hal I was thinking that you made a typo and meant to say "Meteorology" and I was going to tell you how much I loved weather too! Google is a wonderful thing... except that if/when I do (think) something stupid (even if no one knows) I always tell people! I guess I just realize that in life, we don't know EVERYTHING... and sometimes it's too funny not to share. But I really do love weather... I love clouds... and I am a hell of a hurricane watcher! I would like to be a storm chaser... wonder if there are any MINI or Mini storm chasers out there.

Hey Gem, sorry I missed you. If you have an early night... maybe you have an early morning... perhaps an early interview. But I'm not going to ask because that would be a jinx. So if you do have an interview... good luck... and don't say anything until you are typing from your new desk!

Good night. UhOh- I LOVE that couch!

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:35 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
night all...
Hi again!! I'm sorry,, I signed off early last night too!!
My weekend was decent. Ran alot of errands and enjoyed some one on one time with hubby. Hhhm, that didn't sound too good did it?
Hal-- do you do this kind of work for a semiconductor company?

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:49 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Morning All.....

OLA- yesterday was an early morning interview with another agency, that makes 4 agencies i'm signed up with and still no calls... this economy really sucks or they just don't like me!!!
I'm so likable!!! they just don't know me!!!

oh well, enough of that!! this economy just sucks!!! (sorry)

Cab, your comment was funny, one on one time with hubby... NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT SISTER!!!

And i thought i liked my coffee, Random you have taught me a thing or two! thanks...
X- love that couch... that is what i look like most evenings in front of the fire!!!
what happen to the slipper contest??? are we going to do this or does anyone have another story about Crimes and MINI's?????

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...