Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:20 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
what happen to the slipper contest??? are we going to do this or does anyone have another story about Crimes and MINI's?????
Hia! I have a cute slipper pic of the hubby, but it's somewhere at home - I"ll find that and post when I get home. I found these "monster claw" slippers in man-size at a cheesey cheap German store once and he LOVES them. He would put them on and chase the dogs around the house. Too bad they're now falling apart and I can't find anything like them anywhere...

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:54 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
TC- if you want to get hermetically sealed, organic and fair trade beans, look into a local coop. You can usually find one by contacting United Natural Foods, Inc (the distributor for Whole Foods and most organic/natural food stores, plus the organic/natural distributor to most groceries stores). I believe the website is: www.unfi.com
I think once you're on there you can search for buying clubs in your area.

If that doesn't work, some bean producers are:
Cafe Altura (organic and fair trade beans) http://www.cafealtura.com/
Jim's Coffee (organic coffees, mostly wholesale though) http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/
Green Mountain Coffee (organic/free trade, this coffee is served in gas stations in Maine, NH and VT... best gas station coffee I've ever had) http://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/
Equal Exchange- (organic free trade) http://www.equalexchange.coop/

those are some of the bean dealers I'm familiar with. I buy in 5 pound bags and keep them in the freezer.

Hope that helps-
V: Ooh no! Don't freeze your beans! That causes the beans to oxidize when they thaw and turns the flavor bitter. Most vacuum sealed, light resistant packaging should keep beans fresh for up to a month. Only buy as much as you will use in a month. Ground coffee only stays fresh for a few days, so be sure you store only whole beans in this fashion.

tc: The best way I've found to obtain good coffee is from a local roaster. I only use locally roasted beans, and organic beans, I've found, produce the best coffee. There are some great coffee shops in NYC that might be able to point you in the right direction. Try looking up 9th Street Espresso or Cafe Grumpy and see if they either sell locally roasted organic beans there, or can refer you to someplace where you can purchase them.

Old 02-24-2009 | 09:17 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
V: Ooh no! Don't freeze your beans! That causes the beans to oxidize when they thaw and turns the flavor bitter. Most vacuum sealed, light resistant packaging should keep beans fresh for up to a month. Only buy as much as you will use in a month. Ground coffee only stays fresh for a few days, so be sure you store only whole beans in this fashion.
RG, is it OK to keep beans-in-light-resistant-pkg in the FRIDGE? While in use, of course...?

Old 02-24-2009 | 09:27 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Room temperature is really best, in an opaque bag or canister that will not let light hit the beans. I keep mine sealed in the bag they came in in the cabinet above the robo-espresso and only buy as much as I'm going to use in a week or two.

Around here, of course, we would use up V's 5 pounds of coffee well within that month window. We go through about a pound to a pound and a half of coffee beans a week.

Old 02-24-2009 | 10:33 AM
Thyodin
2nd Gear
I seem to miss a lot of stuff when I have days off of work (and I work an extremely odd schedule).

I don't think I can keep up with you coffee addicts. I drink one or two cups a day when I work mornings and that's about it. I don't even own a coffee maker at home. I figure if I'm at home and I'm that tired... I'll just take a nap.

Old 02-24-2009 | 10:39 AM
trackster
5th Gear
Looks like this thread has gone a BIT off topic LOL.

Old 02-24-2009 | 03:06 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
Looks like this thread has gone a BIT off topic LOL.
That depends on how you define "off topic"......... To our way of thinking we're perfectly ON topic!

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:20 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
OH...

I usually buy medium roast, so they actually haven't tasted bitter- whereas most of the french roast to me IS bitter (or causes DRAGON BREATH!)

I've been buying 5# a month, but for a while the buying club I manage was having problems with the IDIOTS at the warehouse who decided that a 2# bag of PINE NUTS looks like a 5# bag of COFFEE BEANS! Hope that dope they were smokin' was good, cause I'll tell you what- for about 4 months we had the most unbelieve-able Mis picks from the warehouse. I've gotten to the point now that I just call my cust service rep, who knows my voice (LOL) and tell him the warehouse boys have been smokin' again.

So, Long story long, I ended up buying about 25 pounds of coffee as all my faves were on sale and I figured I would only end up with 5# if I even got that... guess what?! Yup, all 25# came in.

I'll stop puttin it in the freezer... I could use the space back anyway!

Thanks RG- and I've got some other questions too, but gotta go make din din.. ttyl

Old 02-24-2009 | 04:56 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
OH...

I usually buy medium roast, so they actually haven't tasted bitter- whereas most of the french roast to me IS bitter (or causes DRAGON BREATH!)

I've been buying 5# a month, but for a while the buying club I manage was having problems with the IDIOTS at the warehouse who decided that a 2# bag of PINE NUTS looks like a 5# bag of COFFEE BEANS! Hope that dope they were smokin' was good, cause I'll tell you what- for about 4 months we had the most unbelieve-able Mis picks from the warehouse. I've gotten to the point now that I just call my cust service rep, who knows my voice (LOL) and tell him the warehouse boys have been smokin' again.

So, Long story long, I ended up buying about 25 pounds of coffee as all my faves were on sale and I figured I would only end up with 5# if I even got that... guess what?! Yup, all 25# came in.

I'll stop puttin it in the freezer... I could use the space back anyway!

Thanks RG- and I've got some other questions too, but gotta go make din din.. ttyl
Wow... those guys must have been smokin' some seriously fine... whatever it was. I don't think I'd ever confuse pine nuts for coffee beans... aside from the fact that the bags are probably labeled, let's just forget that for a moment... and realize that pine nuts and coffee beans... don't really look anything alike.

Always glad to help out a coffee drinker in need! I think that from a long history of drinking... well... stuff that comes out of a tin can that requires a torture device to open, Americans have gotten this idea that coffee is a bitter drink that must be suffered, rather than savored and enjoyed.

At the rate this is going though, we should rename this thread to the "Relentless Sexy Barista's Scoop on Beans and Brews!"

Old 02-24-2009 | 05:49 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
You guys and your coffee addictions are scaring me!!! The harshest morning experience for me is when I pick up Bob's coffee thinking it is my tea and take a big gulp.....

Funny story, I think I have mentioned that I was ( some say still am!) accident prone?

Well, my youngest son seemed to have inherited this from me. Poor little guy fractured his tibia at age 7 and was in a cast for 4+ months. then the following year he suffered what the doctors suspected was a compound fracture and since they weren't sure, they didn't know if the wound was contaminated.

So after surgery to set the bones he was in the hospital for 3 days/nights on heavy IV antibiotics.
Well the IV in his arm without the cast seemed to be continuosly messing up and it was very upsetting to both of us. I started sitting up through each night holding his little arm out straight to keep the IV monitor from going off and waking my little man.
Well by the third night my eyes were red rimmed and I was on the verge of really breaking down, I snagged naps during the day when my husband would come in and hold his arm but I definitely was sleep deprived.
So on this third night one of the nurses comes in with this large steaming hot cup of the vilest hospital coffee ever tasted!! so, here I am , a total non coffee drinker trying to sip on this bitter brew--- the nurse is watching me, feeling so proud of herself not knowing that I was DYING inside swallowing this stuff...
Funny thing, that darned cup of coffee really woke me up,, I literally had the jitters afterwards. LOL not to mention that I immediately was in the bathroom,,, talk about a laxative!! uhm,, sorry for that little detail....... always wondered how I would ever use that smiley....

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:24 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Hi again!! I'm sorry,, I signed off early last night too!!
My weekend was decent. Ran alot of errands and enjoyed some one on one time with hubby. Hhhm, that didn't sound too good did it?
Hal-- do you do this kind of work for a semiconductor company?
When I lived in the St. Pete area I worked for E-Systems/Raytheon Co., plus a couple of smaller places before I moved up to Tennessee. Mostly electronics but a few mechanical items along the way. One time I had to calibrate a bread loaf height gage for Pepperidge Farms bakery over in Lakeland.

I currently work in a precision measurement equipment laboratory (PMEL) at Arnold AFB. Best paying job I've ever had. And great people to work with also.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:41 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hi guys, trying to catch up but more important to me tonight is the Presidentail address...

talk more later!

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:47 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
...LOL not to mention that I immediately was in the bathroom,,, talk about a laxative!! uhm,, sorry for that little detail....... always wondered how I would ever use that smiley....
That's OK, coffee has a reaction out the opposite end for me.
I found out the hard way when I was in high school that I'm allergic to coffee. Just the smell any more make me nauseous.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:59 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
That's OK, coffee has a reaction out the opposite end for me.
I found out the hard way when I was in high school that I'm allergic to coffee. Just the smell any more make me nauseous.

Really?? I have never heard of a coffee allergy before. Gosh the accidental drinking of my husbands coffee, could kill you!!!

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:04 PM
dgcooks
3rd Gear
Hi guys, trying to catch up but more important to me tonight is the Presidentail address...

talk more later!
oh, snap, am i missing it??

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:08 PM
dgcooks
3rd Gear
ok, im flipping back and forth between the President and the Lakers on the telly!

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:23 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
ok back to our regular scheduled program...

Cab... very graphic!!! sounds like your son faired better then you did! poor little guy!!!

Hal - allergic to coffee interesting.. allergic reaction happen in strange ways.. I'm allergic to beef and pork. Reason I became a vegitarian, my body can not digest the fat in these foods! Not fun digesting these foods as well as coffee for you! I understand.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:54 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
OK back to our regular scheduled program...

Cab... very graphic!!! sounds like your son faired better then you did! poor little guy!!!

Hal - allergic to coffee interesting.. allergic reaction happen in strange ways.. I'm allergic to beef and pork. Reason I became a vegetarian, my body can not digest the fat in these foods! Not fun digesting these foods as well as coffee for you! I understand.
Wow, I don't know what I'd do without pork. One of my favorite hobbies is smoking ribs and shoulders for barbecue.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:59 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
At first it was a surprise to find out it was meat, but as you know, you get sick from something once - you will never want it again!

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:01 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
I know what you mean.

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:02 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hal, but on that note, i will send my hubby to your house, he loves pork and smokes his own meat!

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:06 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear

on that note, good night Hal and anyone else stilll on...
speak tomorrow...

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:10 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Oh yeah? I've been doing it for about 2.5 years. Since Lynchburg is only about 8 miles away, I hope to be able to get into the amateur division this fall at their BBQ Championship Cook-off.

Family and friends tell me my BBQ is pretty good. I think there's always room for improvement.

Time for bed, G'nite.

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:31 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
ok back to our regular scheduled program...

Hal - allergic to coffee interesting.. allergic reaction happen in strange ways.. I'm allergic to beef and pork. Reason I became a vegitarian, my body can not digest the fat in these foods! Not fun digesting these foods as well as coffee for you! I understand.
Gem, I hear you on the weird food allergies... I was a veggie (ok, never could give up fish, so honestly I was a pescatarian) but I have a terrible reaction to soy (tofu, tempeh, etc, but miso and tamari are ok) along the lines of the smilie on the toilet! Have a hard time with pork too (occaisional piece of bacon is ok, but more than that and I'm miserable), and then on top of it all, I'm deathly allergic to blue cheese (mold) and it now seems I've got an allergy to Aqai berry...

Ho hum.. guess I'm stickin with salads and fish!

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:33 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
Wow, I don't know what I'd do without pork. One of my favorite hobbies is smoking ribs and shoulders for barbecue.

Hey Hal... How ya get them in the pipe?!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...