Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009 | 02:02 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Is that anything like bocce ball? I have a bocce set and love it!
HI MCwill!!! been a while!
ok just for the record, majong is my favorite game it always was and now i can pull it up anytime i want!

Old 02-26-2009 | 02:03 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa

Does your still get every excited? I asked the vet when she would calm down and he said about age 2 or 3 - when i asked again a couple years later, he said "oh i meant age 6 or 7!
When someone comes in expecially the kids,there is no stopping her! she is a great dog.

And sorry to everyone for me bragging on and on about her, but she is so special to me.

but at least i didn't post a photo of her rolling around in money! (hum)
LOL! And No worries, I feel the same way about my boy too.

The only reason that Reilly has slowed down at all is simply because his old bones don't allow him to bounce off the walls anymore. I still see the puppy inside of him most of the time. He's still as curious and inquisitive as he ever was, but he doesn't move with quite as much gusto these days... unless there's food or a trip outdoors involved... then he seems to forget that his hips hurt and he will bound down the stairs or bounce around until he's gotten what he's after. This slowing down is all fairly recent too. Within the last year.

I don't think Labs really ever slow down until they become senior citizens, and even then, when the weather's warm and his arthritis isn't bugging him, he still acts like young dog.

Old 02-26-2009 | 02:07 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
*smile* I used to think that about Reilly when he was younger, but he's pretty happy for the most part. His jobs are mostly to lay around and sleep. He's somewhere between 12 and 14 years old. We adopted him from the shelter, so we just don't know. We've had him for 10 years.

I never really trained him to do jobs like you've done with your girl and I think this is an excellent idea! I wish I'd thought of it when he was a younger dog. What I did do was basic obedience training with him. He sits and downs on command. He will collect his toys by name and bring them to me. He leaves things alone, he walks past other dogs while we're out for some exercise even if they don't want to leave him alone. He also says please and thank you.

What really blew me away with this dog is that he's picked up on a lot of things over the years that I never purposely trained him to do like, when I say "time for bed", he goes upstairs and gets in his crate. When I tell him its time for a bath, he'll go to the bathroom in the basement and climb into the tub on his own. He also has what we call "the tummy clock". He knows when its time for dinner, and it's really funny because it's not something as obvious as the family's eaten dinner and now it's his turn. No no... every day at precisely 6:30, weather we have eaten or not, he sits at my feet and stares at my head until I notice that he's there. Then I ask him what he wants and he bounces (you have a lab, so I'm sure you know what I mean LOL!) and then he walks over to the pantry where his food is kept and sits down and stares at my head some more until I get up and feed him.

Oh and cabwy: The lab tail is precisely why there are NO coffee tables in my house. The Lab's tail is the perfect height to sweep everything off of a coffee table with a minimum amount of effort. I suppose that at least the coffee tables would always be kept clean, but it's too tempting to put a soda on them and leave it there with the dog in the room LOL!
My dogs do that too! They know in the weekday mornings when I pour my coffee into travel mug & thermos, it's time to go to their "room." Same thing at night - if mom & dad start moving around after dinner (we unforunately eat late most days), they put themselves to bed. My dog (big fuuzzyyy face) also has a look that puts my hubband in his place - she tilts her head to one side and sticks her tongue out, and just gives him that roll-eye look that says, "you are SO gonna get in trouble with mom when she sees this." He swears it's saved him from certain doom a few times. And DO NOT race my dog up or down stairs...she does a body tackle that would make the NFL proud.

Old 02-26-2009 | 03:58 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
My dogs do that too! They know in the weekday mornings when I pour my coffee into travel mug & thermos, it's time to go to their "room." Same thing at night - if mom & dad start moving around after dinner (we unforunately eat late most days), they put themselves to bed. My dog (big fuuzzyyy face) also has a look that puts my hubband in his place - she tilts her head to one side and sticks her tongue out, and just gives him that roll-eye look that says, "you are SO gonna get in trouble with mom when she sees this." He swears it's saved him from certain doom a few times. And DO NOT race my dog up or down stairs...she does a body tackle that would make the NFL proud.
He sounds great too! gotta love animals. I don't think some people give animals enough credit, with their smarts!

Old 02-26-2009 | 04:29 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
ok just for the record, majong is my favorite game it always was and now i can pull it up anytime i want!
I'm sticking with Spades as my favorite, although I've always loved Monopoly and am so happy now that I can play it 24/7 (not that I would).

So, what is the next prize-less goal? 4000?

Old 02-26-2009 | 04:52 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I'm sticking with Spades as my favorite, although I've always loved Monopoly and am so happy now that I can play it 24/7 (not that I would).

So, what is the next prize-less goal? 4000?
I'm slightly addicted to two games mostly: TriPeaks (a card game - an old one evidently) and Zuma (it's been going around like a virus!) Zuma is not a high-skill game, but it's one of those addictive ones...

Old 02-26-2009 | 04:58 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I'm slightly addicted to two games mostly: TriPeaks (a card game - an old one evidently) and Zuma (it's been going around like a virus!) Zuma is not a high-skill game, but it's one of those addictive ones...
Hmmm, didn't even know there was a game called Zuma. I guess 'cuz it's one of those downloadable games, and I don't mess with those.

What's your name on Pogo? I'll add you to my friends list. I'm Will92103.

Old 02-26-2009 | 05:15 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hmmm, didn't even know there was a game called Zuma. I guess 'cuz it's one of those downloadable games, and I don't mess with those.

What's your name on Pogo? I'll add you to my friends list. I'm Will92103.
I've only been lurking intermittently on there. my username is....wait for it......waiiiiit for it......

"guest."

Old 02-26-2009 | 05:23 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
For a minute, I thought that said 90210...

Wow... I totally dated myself.

*shuffles back into the cloak of lurkdom.*

Old 02-26-2009 | 05:58 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
[quote=gemgirlpa;2681272]No Worries Cab... I'm free when every you are, we will find a date eventually! Great news about your son coming in! enjoy your visit.

Hey Gem!! Don't give up onme just yet!! My son still hasn't received full clearance to take that extra time off and I may not have to move too many people to that weekend. Do you mind me keeping you "on call" a couple more days?? And you have fun this weekend with your little one.....

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:01 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
And DO NOT race my dog up or down stairs...she does a body tackle that would make the NFL proud.

Uhm,,,, that isn't very funny..

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:04 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Uhm,,,, that isn't very funny..
Nope...it's not. Especially when you loose!!

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:15 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Nope...it's not. Especially when you loose!!

*L* I was referring to my dog "tackling" me over the holidays and "breaking" my back,,,,

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:20 PM
gasmini03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini

*shuffles back into the cloak of lurkdom.*
Is lurkdom a word because the world needs more lurks.

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:21 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Your lab stories really are neat. I do think that labs are the closest to a human being of any of the dogs. We had a wonderful yellow lab- he adopted us when he was 5 y.o. his previous owner had to give him up, she was going thru a very messy divorce, her last words to me were: "Clyde will continuously surprise you with all of the words he knows" and this was true!
We were constantly spelling over his head,,,, our cockers have a big vocabulary but nothing compared to that lab.
But Gem, OMG!! You have a dog that gets papers, faxes and I bet he makes you home made chocolates!!

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:35 PM
cabwy
6th Gear

Hi McWill!! I haven't pogo'd much since I recovered and started a full schedule again. :(

I think all these versions of the spelling of Boci is the same game. When I first was talked into playing it I kindof ho hummed it, but after one game I was hooked. It is great fun to play

How are you doing over there in San Diego??

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:38 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
*L* I was referring to my dog "tackling" me over the holidays and "breaking" my back,,,,

And then the just look at you flat on your back like, "well, HI HI HI!!! WHATCHU DOIN' DOWN THERE??? I LOOOOOOVE YOUUUUU"

Old 02-26-2009 | 06:53 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Hi McWill!! I haven't pogo'd much since I recovered and started a full schedule again. :(

I think all these versions of the spelling of Boci is the same game. When I first was talked into playing it I kindof ho hummed it, but after one game I was hooked. It is great fun to play

How are you doing over there in San Diego??
I get my badges and not much else over on Pogo nowadays. It is still a lot of fun, but I'm spending a lot of time playing Final Fantasy XI. Haven't played Bocce much lately either, but as the days grow longer, maybe we'll squeeze some in.

Here's a brief history of Bocce:
Bocce (or Bocci, or Boccie)[1][2][3][4][5], is a precision sport belonging to the boules sport family, closely related to bowls and pétanque with a common ancestry from ancient games played in the Roman Empire. Developed into its present form in Italy (where it is called Bocce, the plural of the italian word boccia which means "bowl"), it is played around Europe and also in overseas countries that have received Italian migrants, including Australia, North America and South America (where it is known as bochas; "bolas criollas" in Venezuela), initially amongst the migrants themselves but slowly becoming more popular with their descendants and the wider community. The game is also well-known in Serbia as boćanje (боћање) and in Croatia as boćanje, bućanje, or balote, depending on the region.

As far as how things are going here in SD: meh. No job prospects to speak of, and a dwindling amount of time left for unemployment benefits is troublesome. But I'm in a stable, loving relationship, am fairly healthy for someone my age, we have 2 MINIs, 2 great dogs, a nice place we can still afford (for now) and great weather. So I guess I won't complain.

Old 02-26-2009 | 07:39 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gasmini03
Is lurkdom a word because the world needs more lurks.

Here here... Lurk away!

Old 02-27-2009 | 04:48 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
[quote=cabwy;2681589]
No Worries Cab... I'm free when every you are, we will find a date eventually! Great news about your son coming in! enjoy your visit.

Hey Gem!! Don't give up onme just yet!! My son still hasn't received full clearance to take that extra time off and I may not have to move too many people to that weekend. Do you mind me keeping you "on call" a couple more days?? And you have fun this weekend with your little one.....
Cabwy, not giving up yet.... Yes i'm good with "on call status" if it is just us girls, (which would be good too) but if we decide to invite the guys we will need to plan something - he seems to be busier then I these days.
You just let me know what works, no worries... but really looking forward to meeting you and sloopy!

Old 02-27-2009 | 04:54 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
But Gem, OMG!! You have a dog that gets papers, faxes and I bet he makes you home made chocolates!!
thanks she is pretty great, but chocolate, come on she's a dog and still licks her butt

no thanks!!!

Old 02-27-2009 | 04:56 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
And then the just look at you flat on your back like, "well, HI HI HI!!! WHATCHU DOIN' DOWN THERE??? I LOOOOOOVE YOUUUUU"
such a TRUE statement!!!

Old 02-27-2009 | 05:02 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear

allow me to be the first to say good morning all!

TGIF- hope everyone has a great day!

Old 02-27-2009 | 05:48 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
G'mornin! Tomorrow is going to be a REEALLY long day.

Old 02-27-2009 | 05:51 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
G'mornin! Tomorrow is going to be a REEALLY long day.

Why do you say that?

Love the coffee pot!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...