Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009 | 11:13 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
It snowed today.

Damn... I might have to take the MINI out for one final run in her snow shoes before they have to come off in April....

So sad...

So horrifying...

Poor thing...you're so broken up about this. I can sense these things.

Old 03-05-2009 | 11:21 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Poor thing...you're so broken up about this. I can sense these things.
Yes... it is awful. My heart, it may break.

Old 03-05-2009 | 11:40 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hee hee hee...My neighbor is aiding and abetting me again! Look what he did today! (I hope he got it passed by the local historical association....)

Old 03-05-2009 | 11:41 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Hee hee hee...My neighbor is aiding and abetting me again! Look what he did today! (I hope he got it passed by the local historical association....)

You must totally love your neighbor LOL!

Old 03-05-2009 | 11:55 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
You must totally love your neighbor LOL!
I DO...I have to wonder, though...He's always catching me at the craziest moments. Like hanging halfway out a window on the second floor while helping the carpenter, or messing with my trailer electrical in the pitch dark and hanging with my big fat butt hanging out the back of the MINI...making snow MINIs... Poor guy must have REALLY wondered who the hell moved in next door!

Old 03-05-2009 | 12:08 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
welcome back Cab, did you and son have a great time? more importantly did he like Sloopy???

x i forgot to tell you i love your MINI garage. but i have to be honest... The photo of the snow mini looked really big. and then when i saw the garage i started to laugh!! it is great!

Old 03-05-2009 | 12:12 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
great neighbor!

Old 03-05-2009 | 05:18 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
welcome back Cab, did you and son have a great time? more importantly did he like Sloopy???

x i forgot to tell you i love your MINI garage. but i have to be honest... The photo of the snow mini looked really big. and then when i saw the garage i started to laugh!! it is great!
Thankx Gem, good to be back, I just finished up work for the day. And picked up a small little hoagie from WaWa.... whoo hoo!!

My son liked Sloopy but he had a hard time driving her, his foot kept hitting both the brake and gas pedal at the same time, most of his height is in his legs and he really had a hard time folding them into place and his foot was angled, hence the brake/gas pedal issue... but he adjusted quickly and enjoyed her. He thought she was( your are gonna love this) "peppy" I mean,, WTH?? P-E-P-P-Y-???????

He is now at an awards dinner at Nemacolin Resort/Spa,,, I keep wondering how is is doing. It is hard to have such a nice visit and then "poof!" he is gone again...

Tnmm, uhoh, and RG- I enjoyed your banter over the last couple of pages,,, and not to stir anything up but I thin,,, and remember this is just my opinion and all... but I think uhoh's neighbor has a red hot crush on her!!!

Any one else sense this???

Old 03-05-2009 | 05:33 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
He thought she was( your are gonna love this) "peppy" I mean,, WTH?? P-E-P-P-Y-???????

Tnmm, uhoh, and RG- I enjoyed your banter over the last couple of pages,,, and not to stir anything up but I thin,,, and remember this is just my opinion and all... but I think uhoh's neighbor has a red hot crush on her!!!

Peppy isn't bad - afterall, it WAS a SHORT visit, right? He only got a small taste!

As for your theory, well , let's just say I'm not his "type." Although he's a relatively shy guy (won't come to any of our little shindigs) he's very frank about it. He really DOES think I'm nuts, and he has an uncanny knack for ALWAYS finding me in EXACTLY the wrong position doing something nutty. He's a nice guy - unfortunately, he quit his job just before the economy tanked, and now has his beautiful 1920s bungalow for sale.

Old 03-05-2009 | 06:14 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Cab- I was thinking the same thing about UhOh's neighbor.

TNMM- I was thinking about your kitty litter cakes comment earlier and was just thinking "clumping litter"... it was later when I realized there was a link to a "recipe". OMG!!! That was SO disgusting! I seriously wouldn't be able to stomach seeing someone eat anything out of one. Those were REALLY GROSS! The thought of those soft steamin' squishy ones is just too yucky. I was trying to imagine making one... maybe that would make me feel better about them.

UhOh- Is your neighbor a great decorator? Being that he owns a 1920's Bungalow... he must have GREAT taste!

Today I went to the Sarasota Architectural Salvage store and bought some old wooden arched windows. They're from the 1920's Ringling Bros. Estates. The guy at the place told me I should have a TRUCK. Funny, but this always makes me feel the need to prove that I don't. He said, "Yeah these are good on gas... but what else is it good for?". I wasn't offended at all but I laughed and said, "Well, it's good for riding with the top down and hauling windows and Christmas Trees around!". Bottom line... they fit.

Later, after I dropped the windows at home, I went to look for more road kill to eat and also did one of those "Italian Tune-ups" I've been reading about. (Ok... so did a few) Gotta keep the carbon out ya know! I wonder though... have to get verification... I know it should be run with high RPM and lower gear... so if it does 80 in 3rd @ 5-6kRPM... what do I do with 4th, 5th or 6th? I also made sure my tires were hot and sticky to the road... I wonder if I might need to buy new tires?

Old 03-05-2009 | 06:29 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
TNMM- I was thinking about your kitty litter cakes comment earlier and was just thinking "clumping litter"... it was later when I realized there was a link to a "recipe". OMG!!! That was SO disgusting! I seriously wouldn't be able to stomach seeing someone eat anything out of one. Those were REALLY GROSS! The thought of those soft steamin' squishy ones is just too yucky. I was trying to imagine making one... maybe that would make me feel better about them.
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Cab- I was thinking the same thing about UhOh's neighbor. UhOh- Is your neighbor a great decorator? Being that he owns a 1920's Bungalow... he must have GREAT taste! .
I can't tell if HE has great taste, or if his ex- did...Evidently his ex- and the male couple that owned our house were good friends and his ex- did some of the *ahem* aesthetic "improvements" to our house. The guy went a little "gooopy" on HIS bungalow, though. Too...Um....well, frilly.

Today I went to the Sarasota Architectural Salvage store and bought some old wooden arched windows. They're from the 1920's Ringling Bros. Estates. The guy at the place told me I should have a TRUCK. Funny, but this always makes me feel the need to prove that I don't. He said, "Yeah these are good on gas... but what else is it good for?". I wasn't offended at all but I laughed and said, "Well, it's good for riding with the top down and hauling windows and Christmas Trees around!". Bottom line... they fit.
Awesome! Pics of the windows?? I love salvage yards. THey're sooooo much fun. ANd the dirtier and bigger, the better. Last time I went to one of the two in Richmond, i was hauling my little trailer with the MINI. The guy thought (*surprise!*) that I was bananas. Heh, don't say me no!

Later, after I dropped the windows at home, I went to look for more road kill to eat and also did one of those "Italian Tune-ups" I've been reading about. (Ok... so did a few) Gotta keep the carbon out ya know! I wonder though... have to get verification... I know it should be run with high RPM and lower gear... so if it does 80 in 3rd @ 5-6kRPM... what do I do with 4th, 5th or 6th? I also made sure my tires were hot and sticky to the road... I wonder if I might need to buy new tires?
........Um....what's an italian tuneup? 4th, 5th, and 6th are for stretching your stride.

I had to go to the grocery store on the way home, but I planned it JUUUUST right, so that I would hit the carwash place on the way to the house! I just couldn't take it anymore...my poor BRG car was almost GREY with all the crusty salt and yuck. I've heard of "salt scrubs" but this was litterally the end.

Old 03-05-2009 | 07:52 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Thankx Gem, good to be back, I just finished up work for the day. And picked up a small little hoagie from WaWa.... whoo hoo!!

Cab, two of the things I miss most about Philadelphia are: Hoagies and TastyKakes! If you come to the Dragon, would you mind bringing me a hoagie with everything (including oregano and hot pepper), and some TastyKakes? I like the butterscotch krimpets and chocolate cupcakes! Not asking too much am I?

My son liked Sloopy but he had a hard time driving her, his foot kept hitting both the brake and gas pedal at the same time, most of his height is in his legs and he really had a hard time folding them into place and his foot was angled, hence the brake/gas pedal issue... but he adjusted quickly and enjoyed her. He thought she was( your are gonna love this) "peppy" I mean,, WTH?? P-E-P-P-Y-???????

I had quite the mental image here... Thanks for that Cab

He is now at an awards dinner at Nemacolin Resort/Spa,,, I keep wondering how is is doing. It is hard to have such a nice visit and then "poof!" he is gone again...
Uh, he's doing fine... just googled that place and wow- I think it's illegal in the other 49 states!

LOL... considering the, uh, positions she's been caught in, it's either a red hot crush or he's stalking her!

Old 03-06-2009 | 06:05 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
LOL... considering the, uh, positions she's been caught in, it's either a red hot crush or he's stalking her!
Um.....it's nice to be needed?

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:40 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
and not to stir anything up but I thin,,, and remember this is just my opinion and all... but I think uhoh's neighbor has a red hot crush on her!!!

i totally thought the same!!! but didn't want to be the first to say...

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:52 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
peppy- not bad! It could have been worse.
I understand about him having a hard time with his tallness. My hubby is 6'2" and as much as he really likes my car, and I keep trying to talk him into a clubman, he thinks the everyday trying to get in and out would kill his back. he is used to stepping "up" into his Jeep and watching him adjust to getting into my car is funny! Once he is in he loves it.

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:13 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
You guys are breaking my brain. LOL!

x: I'm sorry your neighbor has fallen on hard times and I hope something comes through for him. He probably does think you're insane, but at the same time, probably realizes that he just keeps catching you at bad moments and thinks it's just as hilarious as we do.

Everyone else... anyone going to see Watchmen tonight? I was thinking about going...

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:53 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Everyone else... anyone going to see Watchmen tonight? I was thinking about going...
Oh, who are you kidding!?!? You KNOW you're already planning on it. You can't fool us.

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:04 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Oh, who are you kidding!?!? You KNOW you're already planning on it. You can't fool us.

No no... I won't go by myself. If I can't find someone to go with me, I'll stay home until next week when I can go see a matinee with a friend of mine.

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:13 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
No no... I won't go by myself. If I can't find someone to go with me, I'll stay home until next week when I can go see a matinee with a friend of mine.
See? Already makin' plans. But I'm with ya - I don't like going by myself to movies. Hubband, on the other hand, LOVES movies like I love MINIs, and has absolutely NO compunction about going by himself, and does it all the time. Our friends think it's horrible, but ... he has his quirks, I have mine! (obviously) I just have to make sure he has a running list of movies he can't see without me.

If I were closer, I'd go with you.

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:53 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I like the one up on jacks!! Craig from COOPeration did it again...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-prequel.html

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:56 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
My favorite is the Union Jack. What an awesome job!

Old 03-06-2009 | 01:04 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear

OH yeah, we finally couldn't take it any longer,,, we got out of all our investments and moved it to a cash account,,,,, grrrr,,,, this economy is scarring me...!! OH and scaring me too!
Tsk tsk tsk! Selling low? This is the time to be buying, not selling! It is "Buy low, sell high" not the other way around!! That's the part I hate most about not having a job/money: missing out on all these investment opportunities. I don't understand why people who don't need the cash right now would get into cash right now.

If all the MINI owners in San Diego suddenly decided to start selling their cars for 10-15% of what they paid, I wouldn't think "I guess I better sell mine for 10-15% of what I paid too!!!!" For one, I'd still have no reason to get rid of the car. For two, I wouldn't get what I should out of it. If anything, I'd think about buying another now to sell to someone later when the price went back up.

I know that there are obviously going to be some stocks that are going to be or already are essentially worthless. That's why you buy stuff like mutual funds which match the S&P 500. Are the 500 largest companies in the US all going to go out of business? Highly unlikely. Are 90% of them going to be in much better shape 10 years from now? Probably.

I guess we all have our reasons and our tolerance levels.

Old 03-06-2009 | 01:19 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Tsk tsk tsk! Selling low? This is the time to be buying, not selling! It is "Buy low, sell high" not the other way around!! That's the part I hate most about not having a job/money: missing out on all these investment opportunities. I don't understand why people who don't need the cash right now would get into cash right now.

If all the MINI owners in San Diego suddenly decided to start selling their cars for 10-15% of what they paid, I wouldn't think "I guess I better sell mine for 10-15% of what I paid too!!!!" For one, I'd still have no reason to get rid of the car. For two, I wouldn't get what I should out of it. If anything, I'd think about buying another now to sell to someone later when the price went back up.

I know that there are obviously going to be some stocks that are going to be or already are essentially worthless. That's why you buy stuff like mutual funds which match the S&P 500. Are the 500 largest companies in the US all going to go out of business? Highly unlikely. Are 90% of them going to be in much better shape 10 years from now? Probably.

I guess we all have our reasons and our tolerance levels.
Well, for those not exactly financially savvy, watching "retirement" funds/investments/accounts tank is a little scary. I'm not doing any adjustments - I went conservative in the first place, so I'm not doing as badly as hubband...but I also don't have much extra to "buy low." That makes sense, and if you can swing it, ... The only thing I would worry about are the numbers of business and investments that are going bankrupt. SO (not being the aforementioned financial savvy individual) it doesn't make sense to me to "buy low" if the purchased shares go out of business....right?

Old 03-06-2009 | 01:42 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
The stock market is a really sketchy place right now and if I were looking at long term investments for my retirement, I'd be avoiding any companies with mortgage holdings like the plague. (One need only look to AIG to see how far the mighty have fallen). I would also be avoiding stocks in companies that provide luxury services and items, such as Sirus XM (which closed at .13 cents a share yesterday, their stock was valued at 3.89$ a share a year ago) or any publicly traded cruise lines (which are expected to see a 13% decline in share value over the course of this year). I'd also be avoiding industries that are in a huge downturn right now, such as the automotive industry (GM anyone?) and most store chains that are not discount retailers (Wal-mart, not Macy's.)

I would invest in health care industries, which are actually rising in value right now and companies that make staple products that every consumer will continue buying, even on a low budget. You know, the important stuff like toilet paper and soap.

As always, you should consult an investment adviser before making any choices as to where and where not to buy stock and this advice is not intended to do you any good whatsoever. It's just my opinion of where things sit, and I'm not a financial expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 03-06-2009 | 02:11 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
The stock market is a really sketchy place right now and if I were looking at long term investments for my retirement, I'd be avoiding any companies with mortgage holdings like the plague. (One need only look to AIG to see how far the mighty have fallen). I would also be avoiding stocks in companies that provide luxury services and items, such as Sirus XM (which closed at .13 cents a share yesterday, their stock was valued at 3.89$ a share a year ago) or any publicly traded cruise lines (which are expected to see a 13% decline in share value over the course of this year). I'd also be avoiding industries that are in a huge downturn right now, such as the automotive industry (GM anyone?) and most store chains that are not discount retailers (Wal-mart, not Macy's.)

I would invest in health care industries, which are actually rising in value right now and companies that make staple products that every consumer will continue buying, even on a low budget. You know, the important stuff like toilet paper and soap.

As always, you should consult an investment adviser before making any choices as to where and where not to buy stock and this advice is not intended to do you any good whatsoever. It's just my opinion of where things sit, and I'm not a financial expert by any stretch of the imagination.
Not a financial expert my fourth point of contact!! You're ahead of me, anyway! Gee...do you have issues with Sirus?

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...