Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009 | 06:51 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Evening everyone! I'll be doing some reading again.

Old 03-07-2009 | 07:01 PM
gasmini03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
I was just thinking of putting on the key portion without any mechanics. It would be hard to weather-proof, plus when the key would be turned 90 degrees to the direction of travel there would be a lot of wind loading. That would make it hard to keep it on the car.

Mine would use a lever type suction cup like glass workers use. Then I would find a piece of PVC tubing or something similar that would fit over top of the suction cup. On top of the stem/tube I'd mount the wings of the key. Probably paint it gold or bright silver.
Someone makes the windup key but at the moment I can't think of who or what company it was. They made the stationary one and the one that would be motorized and turn.
Here are two of the links that I was talking about.
http://www.windupkey.com/
http://ecostumes.stores.yahoo.net/va07.html

Last edited by gasmini03; 03-07-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: windup link
Old 03-07-2009 | 07:52 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gasmini03
Someone makes the windup key but at the moment I can't think of who or what company it was. They made the stationary one and the one that would be motorized and turn.
Here are two of the links that I was talking about.
http://www.windupkey.com/
http://ecostumes.stores.yahoo.net/va07.html
Thanks for the links. That may just save me a whole lot of fabrication time and effort.

Old 03-07-2009 | 10:37 PM
CollectorCarsUnltd
2nd Gear
Mini

If it's not spoken for I'll take it. How do we make the deal?

Thanks,

Scott Rosenthal
Cell 303-946-4299
CollectorCarsUnltd@totalspeed.net

Old 03-07-2009 | 10:39 PM
CollectorCarsUnltd
2nd Gear
I'll take it. Let me know how we can make the deal.

Scott
Cell 303-946-4299

Old 03-07-2009 | 10:54 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CollectorCarsUnltd
I'll take it. Let me know how we can make the deal.

Scott
Cell 303-946-4299

Obviously you didn't read past the first post.

It was a scam.

This thread has become a chat thread now.

Old 03-07-2009 | 11:21 PM
CollectorCarsUnltd
2nd Gear
Mini

Sorry

Old 03-08-2009 | 12:54 AM
MtyMous
Banned
hahahahaha. That just made my night.

Old 03-08-2009 | 01:00 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy

McWill, Just remember, when you can get off your high horse, that my husband hasn"t held a full time job for over a year. And since his resume has the following words: finance/ MBA/ mortgage/ GM/ and age over 55 kindof makes it hard to find a new position...Maybe that puts me back in the catgory of not so dumb after all????????? And don't worry about us losing, I invested that money years ago so I bought fairly low back then too.

You all hit it on the head, we don't have the luxury at this time to try to decide what and who we can believe. I hope to hell I am wrong but I believe we have'nt seen the bottm just yet. and people are still getting laid off in extremely high numbers...

Now maybe it was my mistake for bringing up the fact that we put the account into cash, but maybe we should stay off politics and money management??

Hey,, how about religion????
Sorry for appearing to be on a "high horse." I'll refrain from trying to be helpful and adding useful links and just stick to completely inane banter from now on. If you want to put your money in a mayo jar and bury it in the backyard, that's fine by me.

I've been out of work since last June. No part-time job or anything. I never said you were dumb, nor implied it. You never said you cashed out of all of your investments because you need the cash right now. If I was going to try to be helpful I'd try to read more into what was posted here, but since I'm not going to try anymore, I won't try to figure out what anyone means. I won't even ask why someone would put their age on a resume when it is illegal for them to even ask for it on an application.

Old 03-08-2009 | 05:50 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hey anyone I need some help. I have a questions, does anyone own a 2008 MINI convertible??

Ola what do you have?
Or I guess anyone convertible or not....

I found a 12 volt plug in the boot, but unless the car in running I can't use it. anyone else? Is mine mis- connected?

this question has been bothering all weekend.

Old 03-08-2009 | 07:10 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
FREEBIES!!!! (Still love that!- Thanks TNMM)

I'll have to go back and check the rules... but I don't remember "money management" being on "the naughty list". Politics, religion- yes... and I think KITTY LITTER CAKES should be added too!!!! Hal- you have experience with these too???? WOW! What kind of sheltered life have I been living?
Oh yeah, I guess CLEANING out the real thing does it for me. Images and not so fond memories of way too soft poo poo forever stuck in the grates of the slotted scoop is just too much. No amount of sterilizing can fix that.
Ever try one of those self-scooping ones? Yeah, my two cats defeated and destroyed one of those in less than two weeks. I think they saw it more of a challenge than a luxury item. Motor blown, whole pan trashed...

Originally Posted by miniola
Hal- How are you thinking you'd make the wind up part? You thinking BIG? I think I'd like to make a smaller one and permanently attach somehow... kind of like the "pull to inflate" thingy. I just thought of an idea... maybe works better with a convertible but... when I was a kid there was something called a "Penny Racer". I'll try to find a pic of one and post later. But the way it worked is that there was a slot in the back of these teeny little cars... you'd put a penny in... drag the car backwards on the floor a bit and then let it go. It would do a wheelie!
I was just thinking of putting on the key portion without any mechanics. It would be hard to weather-proof, plus when the key would be turned 90 degrees to the direction of travel there would be a lot of wind loading. That would make it hard to keep it on the car.

Mine would use a lever type suction cup like glass workers use. Then I would find a piece of PVC tubing or something similar that would fit over top of the suction cup. On top of the stem/tube I'd mount the wings of the key. Probably paint it gold or bright silver.
I plan on using a suction cup on the rear panoramic window. I think it will be a bit more visible. But thanks for the suggestion.
You know they have threads on this fun stuff, right?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-up-key.html

Old 03-08-2009 | 07:14 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
Hey anyone I need some help. I have a questions, does anyone own a 2008 MINI convertible??

Ola what do you have?
Or I guess anyone convertible or not....

I found a 12 volt plug in the boot, but unless the car in running I can't use it. anyone else? Is mine mis- connected?

this question has been bothering all weekend.
You're GOOFY! It's just an extra power source - for instance, they make a cooler that plugs in for the boot. When I put my wiring module in for the trailer hitch, I had to link into that power source for the lights.

Old 03-08-2009 | 07:15 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
DREW, that was FANTASTIC!!!

Originally Posted by RandomGemini
That... is SOO FREAKING AWESOME!

Sorry... my Optimus Prime fangirl came out for just a second. We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.
I'm pretty sure we were separated at birth, RG....I wanted to BE Optimus Prime....

Old 03-08-2009 | 07:37 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
You're GOOFY! It's just an extra power source - for instance, they make a cooler that plugs in for the boot. When I put my wiring module in for the trailer hitch, I had to link into that power source for the lights.
OK other then still being on drugs - I'm always goofy!!

But Seriously, Yes i know it is an extra power source and trying to use it, but plugging something is it won't work!

I'm trying to figure out if the car needs to be running for it to have power to it or if mine is not wired correctly!
My cigarette lighter does not have power to it unless the car is running.

maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly. What I'm trying to do is charge my GPS system but no outlet in my car works unless the car is running. this seems strange to me, I would think the boot should have a continous charge.

am i wrong or is my car not wired correctly!!

Old 03-08-2009 | 07:54 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
OK other then still being on drugs - I'm always goofy!!

But Seriously, Yes i know it is an extra power source and trying to use it, but plugging something is it won't work!

I'm trying to figure out if the car needs to be running for it to have power to it or if mine is not wired correctly!

maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly. What I'm trying to do is charge my GPS system but no outlet in my car works unless the car is running. this seems strange to me, I would think the boot should have a continous charge.

No, you're OK. BMW MINIs are programmed to shut down all excess power drains when the car is off - which is why you have to have it running to power those sources. Ever notice that your radio turns off, your wipers are off (even though you had them on when you turned the car off), and any car chargers (for cell phones, etc.) turn off when the car does? It's designed to save the battery. THe only thing that carries a continuous charge in my car is the dealer-installed iPod. If you want to charge your GPS, you probably want to do it via the computer (with USB charger) or wall-plug charger.

Old 03-08-2009 | 10:19 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
thanks X - i've been trying to get that answer all weekend.
I need to purchase an AC adapter for the GPS then.

I just got in from cleaning and waxing Nugget- she looks nice!!! finally have a great weekend here.

how is your weekend going??

Old 03-08-2009 | 10:19 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Actually, my Landcruiser has only one plug that stays on even when the Landcruiser is off- again to save the battery! Ditto for my 82 benz, although we seem to have a leak in the electrical system anyway, as my battery is always drained. Hmmm.... I keep looking for sparks under my car and little burn marks where I park, but no indication where the electric leak is coming from. DRATS!

No, you're OK. BMW MINIs are programmed to shut down all excess power drains when the car is off - which is why you have to have it running to power those sources. Ever notice that your radio turns off, your wipers are off (even though you had them on when you turned the car off), and any car chargers (for cell phones, etc.) turn off when the car does? It's designed to save the battery. THe only thing that carries a continuous charge in my car is the dealer-installed iPod. If you want to charge your GPS, you probably want to do it via the computer (with USB charger) or wall-plug charger.

Old 03-08-2009 | 11:07 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
thanks X - i've been trying to get that answer all weekend.
I need to purchase an AC adapter for the GPS then.

I just got in from cleaning and waxing Nugget- she looks nice!!! finally have a great weekend here.

how is your weekend going??
Glad to hear you're enjoying the weather! Its hovering above 80 here (it was 16 last weekend!!!) And reeeallly hot. "Mints" got minty fresh again yesterday so its the house's turn now. I intended to go outside and paint but so far only gotten distracted with cleaning. *sigh* equally meritorious but...this is a BIG house to keep clean!

So by the sound of crickets lately, I'm guessing everybodys out playing in the sunshine too!

Old 03-08-2009 | 12:46 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
yeah I bet everyones out playing... I keep coming back in to relax and then go back out again!

taking care of the damage of the winter in the back yard. slowly getting there, but Nugget too priority today!

Hubby's jeep have an outlet keeps power when it's turned off and so he jeeps having to take the GPS to his car and charging it over night for me.

Old 03-08-2009 | 01:08 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CollectorCarsUnltd
Sorry
No big deal. It was an honest mistake... and really this thread is so long and the fact that it was a scam didn't come out for SEVERAL pages. I can understand how a person might not want to read through the entire thread to get the whole story. Especially with this thread! It's very time consuming.

X: I swear, I am gonna get out to the dragon next year somehow, just so we can go have a cup of coffee and fangirl over Optimus Prime. I will SOOO be sitting in the theater on opening day of Transformers 2 this summer!

Old 03-08-2009 | 01:40 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Oh X - I forgot to ask, how was your transformer party??

Old 03-08-2009 | 04:24 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
This Thread has been relegated to 3rd down on the list of New Posts...WE just can't let that happen!!

Old 03-08-2009 | 04:47 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
<...>

The 12V plug in the boot is on the same fuse as the cig plug in the front.

As long as you turn the GPS off when the car is off, it should maintain charge while running.

For the R56's, there is a 'sticky' at the top of the Electrical Board that outlines which circuits are on and when.

Not sure how that might apply to your Cabrio, but I used it to select a "30G" circuit and used a
Buss Fuses HHH Acessory "Mini Add-A-Line" to power my XM-Radio for :30 minuites after ignition is off.

There are other circuits ("30") that are always active, but then you need to be concerned about battery charge state.

Bought the 'add-a-circuit' at Advance Auto for $7 and you could also get a cig-plug with wire,
to connect and hide in a convenient spot.

Old 03-08-2009 | 04:55 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
You know they have threads on this fun stuff, right?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-up-key.html
Yeah, I checked it out, but it looks the thread has died.

Old 03-08-2009 | 06:21 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Yeah, I checked it out, but it looks the thread has died.
Well, the thread died, but there were some pretty good suggestions and links, right? I'd thought about doing it, but I developed a motoring badge addiction, so...that kinda took over instead.

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...