Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 07:30 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Hey, thanks, Sika!!
Evening all! Thank Hal though! I've used the same clay bar, but not on our MINI, which reminds me I should order some cleaning supplies. And I've dropped one of those bars and can say it's def not any good if it hits the ground.

Old 03-10-2009 | 08:10 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
morning everyone!!!
...Hal- how do you use the clay bar, do you wash the car first then use this? Is it just a whip on process? I also read somewhere someone cuts the clay bar in 3's so if it drops on the ground you don't have to throw then entire bar out.
Pretty much what MINI-IZED has said. A good washing is the first step. Like I said earlier, clay barring will removed contaminants like air pollution particulates and stuff that can get embedded in the clear coat. The clay bar is actually a very, very mild abrasive. It will also sometimes remove very fine scratches. I got some grit while washing my MINI and put some real fine scratches on the roof. I took the clay bar and the detailing spray that came with it. Got those scratches right out.

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:14 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Morning Freebies! I've been following this clay concept with interest. Keep up the great info. I'm learning LOTS!
TTFN-

Old 03-11-2009 | 06:19 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-IZED
Hello all. Gem, I have only clay-barred my MINI once. I know, I know, MINI neglect, but it is a time consuming project. I believe it took me a day and a half to clay bar and wax. You will have to wash the car first. Then you break out the clay bar. Usually you get a bottle of detailing spray. You spray a small area with the detailing spray then rub the area with a small piece of clay bar. Keep the surface wet with the detail spray, if the clay bar starts to stick you need more spray. Rub the area until it is glass-smooth. Check the clay often, if it starts to get dirty kneed the clay then continue on. If the piece gets really dirty start with a new piece. It is a time consuming project, but it will leave your paint glass-smooth. After I clay-barred then waxed I tossed a towel on the roof, it was so slick it slid right off the other side!!
thanks for the instruction! I might try this in the spring.
But I hate spending time washing and waxing and cleaning the wheels and the first time on hte road the boot is dirty again!! any tips on this? mini mudflaps?

Old 03-11-2009 | 06:26 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
morning all,

Hal and MINIized any favorite brand? Hal you mentioned the spray came with the clay bar? I need as much step by step help as possible, this is my first time i ever worrried about cleaning with such interest.

so after claying are you done or should the car be rinsed?

X- how are you feeling today??

Old 03-11-2009 | 08:18 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Hi Gem! I think most auto stores carry the brand that Hal mentioned and you can buy it in a kit. It's called Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit - with 16oz detailer, 2 clay bars, 4oz sample of cleaner wax, and a microfiber towel. The detailing spray I use regularly, I have yet to clay bar Hilla. I want to get some of the better detailing products like zaino before I start.
For a full surface job use either zaino products or look at the detailing recommendations in the detailing section. It looks to be pretty comprehensive.

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:18 PM
miniola
6th Gear

Hello...Hello...Hello...Hello...

And yeah, MINI-IZED... you still didn't follow through with your promise of your greatest Mullet Pic EVER. You've pulled the ol' "APPLE" on us.

Gem- glad you were able to figure out your power source issue. I've only read about that power source but have never looked for it. My cig lighter is only used to power my radar detector so... it's on when the car is on and other than that I have no need for it when the car is off. Anyway, I was thinking that "the car needs to be running to charge the..." would be a pretty good excuse for when you need to go for a drive.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Bye.

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:21 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Hi miniola! Y'all staying warm in Florida? Some of the northern states are a bit frosty!

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:26 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
OHHHHHHH OLA I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!

Come back to us! please!!!!!!!!

Cab are you visiting family??? or did you leave us too????

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:28 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Hi Gem! I think most auto stores carry the brand that Hal mentioned and you can buy it in a kit. It's called Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit - with 16oz detailer, 2 clay bars, 4oz sample of cleaner wax, and a microfiber towel. The detailing spray I use regularly, I have yet to clay bar Hilla. I want to get some of the better detailing products like zaino before I start.
For a full surface job use either zaino products or look at the detailing recommendations in the detailing section. It looks to be pretty comprehensive.
thanks,
I am obsessed with Nugget, she is so clean then i don't want to take her out of the garage, when i do and go through the first puddle I start looking for a spray wash to hose her down... this is crazy, i need to just enjoy her drive and not worry so much that she just went through a puddle. Help me!!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:35 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
I really need to order some cleaning products. Been putting it off, it's a bit of an expense, but we need to keep our babies clean.

Same here, everytime I go through a puddle, it's out with the hose, quick detailer and microfiber!

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:38 PM
sikamini
6th Gear

She did a hit and run, I just missed her and her light blinked out. Like was it something I said! I hope she's okay.

Old 03-11-2009 | 01:03 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Gem,
I live on a chip and tar road in the middle of the country. My driveway is 3/4 mile long gravel- and there's a LOT of limestone in that gravel (and on the road). I noticed that I was getting lime "sprays" up my doors and even on the roof. And my boot was ALWAYS dirty. I went and had mudflaps put on all 4 wheels. My SA said his dealership/service doesn't like to put the mudflaps on because they don't fit well (even tho they're oem) and unless they're lined up and installed correctly, they fail. But I explained my situation and he agreed that I would be a good reason to have mudflaps. And they did an EXCELLENT job of putting them on my Clubbie. I LOVE them. I no longer have sprays up my sides. But my boot is still dirty. Just less so. I hose Mocha off every time I go out (there's a self serve car wash, 3 minutes for $1) unless it's freezing or below.
Hope that helps-

thanks for the instruction! I might try this in the spring.
But I hate spending time washing and waxing and cleaning the wheels and the first time on hte road the boot is dirty again!! any tips on this? mini mudflaps?

Old 03-11-2009 | 02:14 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Sika... we've been meaning to tell you about your deoderant. It just ain't doing the trick...

She did a hit and run, I just missed her and her light blinked out. Like was it something I said! I hope she's okay.

Old 03-11-2009 | 02:55 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
thanks TN about the mudflap info....
I guess i should just get used to the fact that my part time job is cleaning up Nugget!

Old 03-11-2009 | 02:56 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Where is MCwill also? everyone is leaving us!!!

come back guys, come back!

Old 03-11-2009 | 03:39 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
I've been thinking about installing mud flaps on my MINI. Unfortunately with the spoiler the "S" has and the general shape of the MINI, a vacuum is created behind the car which makes road spray want to stick to the rear of the vehicle. I've even had leaves fly up and stick to the rear widow.

I just got back from the local tire shop. Took the MINI in for a tire rotation and balance. I've noticed lately that it has a little bit of vibration when I get up around 75 to 80 MPH. (Yeah I know, that's speeding. ) Found out it's not an out of balance situation. My left rear tire has developed a separated belt.

I currently have Dunlop run-flats, but gonna change to a conventional type tire. I'm going to get two new tires for now and hopefully get two more before the Dragon.

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:10 PM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
This is known as "dirty butt syndrome" and the MINI's are notorious for it!!

Originally Posted by miniola
And yeah, MINI-IZED... you still didn't follow through with your promise of your greatest Mullet Pic EVER. You've pulled the ol' "APPLE" on us.
Someone had to do it!! LOL I will have to do some digging. I remember the pic but I don't remember where it is.

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:28 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Sika... we've been meaning to tell you about your deoderant. It just ain't doing the trick...
I knew it BO!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:34 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
thanks TN about the mudflap info....
I guess i should just get used to the fact that my part time job is cleaning up Nugget!
It seems like I should do the detailing spray every evening. Sometimes I just look for the dusty areas, boot and so on...

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:56 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Evening all! Thank Hal though! I've used the same clay bar, but not on our MINI, which reminds me I should order some cleaning supplies. And I've dropped one of those bars and can say it's def not any good if it hits the ground.
Hey!! At least I am consistent,,,!! In getting my names mixed up, that is.....

Old 03-11-2009 | 06:16 PM
cabwy
6th Gear

Hi Gem * waving at you* I am around, I signed on last night and no one was on here. And during the day I am back to a full ( ok, over than full) schedule, still trying to catch up from last month. PLUS I leave for Colorado on Friday morning. I have a very important birthday party to attend. ( for a very handsome and adorable 4 y.o.)

I will be taking my laptop along but can't guarantee how much time free I will get to sign on.

My first appt tomorrow is for 8 am, and then I end the day at the dentist , then there will be that frenzied last minute packing going on...

How are you feeling now?? And how about uhoh?? Did you sucuumb to the dreaded flu/cold bug?

Last edited by cabwy; 03-11-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2009 | 06:19 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Gem,
I live on a chip and tar road in the middle of the country. My driveway is 3/4 mile long gravel- and there's a LOT of limestone in that gravel (and on the road). I noticed that I was getting lime "sprays" up my doors and even on the roof. And my boot was ALWAYS dirty. I went and had mudflaps put on all 4 wheels. My SA said his dealership/service doesn't like to put the mudflaps on because they don't fit well (even tho they're oem) and unless they're lined up and installed correctly, they fail. But I explained my situation and he agreed that I would be a good reason to have mudflaps. And they did an EXCELLENT job of putting them on my Clubbie. I LOVE them. I no longer have sprays up my sides. But my boot is still dirty. Just less so. I hose Mocha off every time I go out (there's a self serve car wash, 3 minutes for $1) unless it's freezing or below.
Hope that helps-
Hey Tnmm!! My MA talked me out of mudflaps too!! I was going to have them installed when Sloopy was delivered to their dealership and she said it is hard to keep them on, so I caved, glad to hear that yours turned out okay. I would really love some mudflaps....

Old 03-11-2009 | 06:21 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-IZED
This is known as "dirty butt syndrome" and the MINI's are notorious for it!!

Someone had to do it!! LOL I will have to do some digging. I remember the pic but I don't remember where it is.
Wow!! I tell you nothing gets past 'Ola!!! And to think that I was going to go back into my gallery and remove my shots.....

hey Ola, have you found any more "roadkill" ??

Old 03-11-2009 | 07:49 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Hey!! At least I am consistent,,,!! In getting my names mixed up, that is.....
That's okay.....I meant to comment, but Hal beat me to it!!!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...