Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009 | 12:09 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Hi.

I know nothing of these areas you speak of.

In 1995, when I first met the husband, we drove to see his friend that was staying somewhere near Philly. The husband had a crappy Corolla (he had just purchased from a dealership-used) with no A/C (in August)... of course none of us had A/C then... and the car was a manual. He wanted me to drive. I warned him that I would not be good at driving stick but he insisted.

SO, we had stopped at one of those highway rest areas with restaurants (Southern Maine I think). He had gotten one of those Big Gulp drinks and he put me in the driver's seat. Well, anyone learning how to drive stick knows about that LURCHING FORWARD-STOP-LURCHING FORWARD-STOP... like a really bad bunny hop... and of course when the whole car shudders and dies. He had set the Big Gulp between his legs and during one of the first LURCHING incidents the lid came off and totally soaked his crotch! It was SO funny!! His mistake. After all, I had informed him that I did NOT want to drive and now this was the ultimate punishment. His shorts were SOAKED.

So we laughed about his soaked shorts, he got a change of clothes and went walking back toward the rest rooms to change. (Back before the days of cell phones though)... so he's walking to the rest room and he's covering the FRONT part of his wet shorts with the new shorts... all the while, the entire BACK of his shorts were equally as soaked! He didn't know that it looked as bad back there as I did because I could see it... and he was too far away for me to get his attention without yelling and making him even more of a spectacle. Anyway, I was in hysterics laughing because as he was walking by... people that were standing on the walkway and those that were coming out past him were just stopped and the look of "OMG" on their faces was truly hilarious! Surely they must have figured he'd really had an "accident"... thinking that perhaps he waited a bit too long to stop to use the bathroom??? (You know how guys never like to make more stops than necessary. )

Once in the Philly area, his friend drove us to some popular street area (at night) and we had parked on a side street. The husband wanted to get a "Philly Cheese" and so off we went. It was pretty grungy and there were lots of people... kind of smelled like vomit (or maybe it was cheese?) . He got his food and we went back to the car. I noticed that something looked weird with the car (friend's car not the Corolla)... and as we got closer we saw that the driver's door was partially open and the door lock had been popped out. Opened the door and the ignition was gone! The dash had been ripped out and the back seats had been ripped out too! And this wasn't even a nice car either... had a tape player but that's pretty much it. I was freaking out because I had decided to leave my purse in the car! OMG! Good thing I didn't put it in the trunk though... they would have found it! I don't know how they didn't steal it... but I had pushed my purse partially under the front seat (we had been sitting in the back) and I put the little floormat over it to cover it. I couldn't believe that it was still there.

All of this happened in a span of about 10-15 minutes. It was dark but there were a few streetlights and there were some apartment buildings and a little cemetary. The car couldn't start. There was a guy sitting on the steps close to the car and so the friend wanted to use his phone. We went into his place and we were trying to figure out where we were in relation to where we needed to get back to. Well, this guy had offered to get us back to the area where the husband's car was and so that's what we decided to do. But first... the "guy" couldn't "deal with driving"... so he has to take a "hit" from this giant water bubbling smoke filled thing that looks like a Victorian Hurricane Lamp. Know what I'm talking about?? Then the friend with the broken car used this strange looking lamp too! WTF?!? Well, at least we made it safely to our destination. None of us had money for a long cab ride or a credit card so... options were limited.

Once the husband and I decided to head back to Maine... (and BTW- I think we had only been dating for like a week or so)... we're just starting to drive back when all of a sudden the car is SO LOUD!! Part of the EXHAUST fell off! It wasn't the muffler either... it was further back... front of the car near the catalytic converter area. We literally could not hear each other talk and we had to drive at least 6-8 hours. We went to 7-11 and this was my first time seeing a dude with a giant white turbin on his head. It smelled SO bad in there... I was trying not to breathe. We were trying to get him to tell us where there was a shop nearby so that we could attempt to at least tie it up... but we couldn't understand what he was saying. Maybe he was trying to tell us that he couldn't understand what we were saying. So we drove around a little bit and finally found a place where there was a guy that did a temporary weld so that we could get home.

I've been to IKEA in PA (when I went to see the husband while he worked on putting up wind turbines).

And when we took our road trip to Maine in Sept 2007 (SO much more advanced with a MINI, GPS, cell phones, MONEY)... we stopped at Hershey. Yummmmm... Hershey is my favorite.

So that's it for today... at least right now. I'm glad you guys are thinking back and remembering the past... just remember though... if you ever offer to give away a FREE CLASSIC MINI... previous posts may be used against you... someone will be able to find you.

Old 03-22-2009 | 01:00 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I get to work on my Mini today. I got new door furniture, new grill, and some other stuff Also got an extension cord so i can finally use my battery charger and a little air compressor so I can inflate my flat tire.

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:02 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
hey all.....i've been sick for the past week and a half, and still not great...but figured i'd touch base and see whats going....seems to me that there is yet again to much to read and cathc up on..lol.....i might be trading in my 84 gmc suburban for a 85 mercedes 500 D...here our some pics....

Name:  mercedes1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  mercedes2.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  mercedes3.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  123.9 KB
----------

its a little more practical than the suburban...just too big to use as a daily driver...lol.....and since i dont have the Dodge Dart anymore, this will fill the void...lol

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:04 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Wow... what with all our discussions of catching bad guys in the act of things (I blame you Ola!) I felt this was the best place to tell this story.

Last night, we had some friends over and chatted until about midnight. One friend of ours looked tired early on, so I offered him an out so he could go home and get some rest, but he decided to stay until he was a little less punchy.

When he got home, he crawled into bed and passed out.

When he woke up this morning, he found that someone had stolen his DVDs and his wife asked him why he came in twice last night and didn't come to bed the first time. It didn't take them long to realize that they'd had an intruder and they called the police.

The police said it was lucky that the intruder and my friend missed each other. If he'd walked in on the guy, somebody would have gotten hurt and they would have been cleaning up a much bigger mess. Thankfully his wife and kids are okay and the intruder just stole some DVDs and peeked into the bedroom and left.

I hope they catch this guy. *fingers crossed*

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:14 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Wow... what with all our discussions of catching bad guys in the act of things (I blame you Ola!) I felt this was the best place to tell this story.

Last night, we had some friends over and chatted until about midnight. One friend of ours looked tired early on, so I offered him an out so he could go home and get some rest, but he decided to stay until he was a little less punchy.

When he got home, he crawled into bed and passed out.

When he woke up this morning, he found that someone had stolen his DVDs and his wife asked him why he came in twice last night and didn't come to bed the first time. It didn't take them long to realize that they'd had an intruder and they called the police.

The police said it was lucky that the intruder and my friend missed each other. If he'd walked in on the guy, somebody would have gotten hurt and they would have been cleaning up a much bigger mess. Thankfully his wife and kids are okay and the intruder just stole some DVDs and peeked into the bedroom and left.

I hope they catch this guy. *fingers crossed*
RG-- that is just plain creepy and scary!!! I hope they catch this "perp" too!'
That is probably everyone's worst nightmare...... shuddering here..

Big Norm,, nice to see you around again, sorry you were so sick-- and a few of us on here feel your pain.
You are starting to remeind me of a certain person who was continuosly buying and selling her cars??????? And I think you were the one snapping the pictures of that Mercedes? I noticed that the shadow was really big....

Ola, I know the area that you got to "experience" in Philly. There are many many areas that are much classier.. I never understood the "appeal" of those greasy dirty places that make the Cheese Steaks....
My husband and I on one of our first dates had a wet pants story too!@! except of course it was me that had them....sigh
I wonder if Gem is busy setting out her clothes for tomorrow?? Hope she remembers to be nice and play well with others and make new friends....

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:28 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
nope wasnt me snapping the pics...but i thought the same thing ..BIG SHADOW...lol.....i love trading cars....the good thing is that im usually making profitable trades....the suburban im trading, i got for free for doing a day worth of labor in body work

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:42 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
trading cars for a profit?? please don't tell me that soon we will see a photo on here with all of your "profits" strewn all over your Berber carpet??

All kidding aside- I can tell that you really enjoy working on and trading vehicles.

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:45 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hi Freebies! Big Norm - that's a nice looking merc!

I went to a MINI scavenger hunt rally in Raleigh this weekend...dragged hubband and another couple-friends of ours who also happen to own a MINI...I guess I just didn't realize how nasty-competitive my girlfriend could get. Most of the MINI people were nice (I belong to the mini club, she doesn't) but...um...it just wasn't pretty. It was a lot of driving around (which was nice) but I'm pooped. I have a huge conference to host tomorrow, so it's early to bed for me.

OMG - we're watching the movie BOLT. HOLY CRAP it's funny!!! Especially if you have animals... ROTFL~!!!

Old 03-22-2009 | 04:50 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear

I want one!!!

Old 03-22-2009 | 05:24 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Big Norm
hey all.....i've been sick for the past week and a half, and still not great...but figured I'd touch base and see whats going....seems to me that there is yet again to much to read and catch up on..lol.....i might be trading in my 84 gmc suburban for a 85 Mercedes 500 D...here our some pics....

----------

its a little more practical than the suburban...just too big to use as a daily driver...lol.....and since i don't have the Dodge Dart anymore, this will fill the void...lol
Big Norm - that over pass in the back round looks awfully familiar. Could that possibly the intersection of US 19 and 49th St No.? Looks like you might be in Freedom Lake Park area.

Old 03-22-2009 | 05:33 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
good call...lol...i live about 10 min from where this car is.....

Old 03-22-2009 | 07:03 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
good call...lol...i live about 10 min from where this car is.....
I used to live about a mile west of there (102nd Ave & 58th St. No.).

Do you live in Pineapple Puddle, a.k.a Pinellas Park?

Old 03-22-2009 | 07:13 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
yep, sure do.....actually, st.pete...right on the boarder line

Old 03-23-2009 | 07:16 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hi Big Norm,
Interesting looking 500D there. Looks clean, but then again, it's for sale. Make sure you have access to either Pull-apart or a parts car. This from experience. I've currently got 2 older MB's, an 82 300TD and a 68 280SL. They are holes into which I sink moulah... But great cars (when they run)... Check the locks, windows, etc as it's all run on a vaccuum and if there's a leak, it's a total pain in the ****.
My hubby is the car man, I'm just repeating what he gripes about (he had an 84 300T and there were a couple other 80's mb station wagons in there). He finally got ticked off as he'd not make the money he thought he'd make after sinking money into them and went back to buying Volvo station wagons inexpensively, driving them for a few years and then selling them for either what he has in the or making a profit...
Let us know what you do- I'm curious

hey all.....i've been sick for the past week and a half, and still not great...but figured i'd touch base and see whats going....seems to me that there is yet again to much to read and cathc up on..lol.....i might be trading in my 84 gmc suburban for a 85 mercedes 500 D...here our some pics....

----------

its a little more practical than the suburban...just too big to use as a daily driver...lol.....and since i dont have the Dodge Dart anymore, this will fill the void...lol

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:42 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
I wonder how our GemGirl is doing today???????

Old 03-23-2009 | 07:07 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
I wonder how our GemGirl is doing today???????

Yes?

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:29 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Yes?
Is she still at work?

Old 03-24-2009 | 04:23 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Old 03-24-2009 | 04:55 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
morning peeps! YES i was working yesterday and ready to go in today!

It is an alright job, but kind of seems to me that they are not ready for me, no email no key and my offiice is a store room with a computer! I don't think this will be a long term fix, but i'm working while looking for something else..

didn't get a chance to catch up on the readings from yesterday, working is taking a bit of my free computer time!! talk to you all later gotta run....

Cab, i just siged up for the April 11 run on Philly MINI, meeting at otto's. let me know if you are going to go. hope to see you there.
BB for now.

Old 03-24-2009 | 08:00 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa

It is an alright job, but kind of seems to me that they are not ready for me, no email no key and my offiice is a store room with a computer! I don't think this will be a long term fix, but i'm working while looking for something else..

didn't get a chance to catch up on the readings from yesterday, working is taking a bit of my free computer time!! talk to you all later gotta run....

Cab, i just siged up for the April 11 run on Philly MINI, meeting at otto's. let me know if you are going to go. hope to see you there.
BB for now.
Congrats!

Old 03-24-2009 | 09:22 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Gem's employed!!! WOOHOO!!! Congrats!

I hope it works out hon!

Old 03-24-2009 | 09:47 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa

BB for now.
Keep your chin up Gem!! This might turn out to be a great position, but if not, like you mentioned, you are making money while looking... thanks for the heads up about April 11th, will go check it out. Will keep you posted.

Hello to all of you "freebies" ! I miss you all!! UHOH your video was cute and it sounds like you had an exciting weekend, much more exciting than mine!!

Old 03-24-2009 | 06:36 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
thanks for all the "congrats" and yes I'm going to receive a paycheck meanwhile i will still be searching... who knows?

anyway, I miss being at home with my pup and thinking by this photo she feels the same way with me being gone... what do you all think??? she missing me or enjoying the bed to herself????

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-sleeping-2009-small-.jpg  
Old 03-24-2009 | 06:42 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Ok so i have to admit, i did not read the last couple of pages, thinking i will just jump back in blind....

Big Norm nice car, you getting it???

x- don't i get your approved stamp yet???

Tn, Sila and Ola, HI i miss you and need some smiley's!! pass some funny ones my way.....

ok so my job is i'm doing the books for a Jewerly company! of all things, my family is laughing at me, because how much i enjoy being around jewerly, hense gemgirl.... but this is a very elite diamond store, and today i was trying on some rings, that I migtht as well just hand my paycheck over now!! this is hubby's face when i told him

Old 03-25-2009 | 08:55 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Morning!! Hey Gem tell'em to put your office in the vault!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...