Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009 | 07:59 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Wow,, taking some golf lessons,,, good for you!!
Cab...not new to Golf or Lessons, been playing off & on for 9+ Years, I was lucky to find a Guy who also liked to play. Before I met my Husband I was into watching Golf, but never played. Now we enjoy the sport together!!

This may be the weekend to try the Liquid Sand Paper?? We'll see.

Last edited by RJKimbell; 04-22-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:35 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hi Freebies!

Less than a week til MOTD! I'm soooo excited. Work is getting their pound of flesh, though...

Old 04-23-2009 | 08:50 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Today's entry on this site is BEAUTIFUL! This is a great site.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/

Old 04-23-2009 | 05:00 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Hi guys. I shouldn't be on here... I'm gonna get in BIG trouble! Just wanted to say "hey" to all.

Still got lots of stuff to do. I didn't tell you , but the other night when the husband got home I was showing him the little items I made for the cake. Showed him the Flamingo bodies and the BBQ grill and a few other little things in the closed container and then I went to the OPEN container where I'd left the little hamburgers and the shark fin for his Flamingo's head. Well, there were only two little burgers... FOUR were missing. Hmmmmm ... where did they go??? Ahhhhh yes... now I remember... I remember hearing my big *** cat George jump up on the counter before I went to bed the night before and I told him to get off but never thought much about it. Then I remembered having a fondant eating incident from the first cake I made... George had jumped up and had a big wad of fondant stuck in the roof of his mouth! What a bad cat! Fondant is SUGAR PASTE! The little hamburgers weren't flavored to taste like beef or anything. I don't even know how he found them... but apparently my George has a taste for fondant. Note to self...

Well I gotta go now. Thanks for the info about the channels Hal... you know... just in case I need them.

As for the things for the Troll feet? Purely luck. When we went on our mountain trip in Oct '08 there were lots of photo ops for the Troll. I used to have her tied by her ankles with little wire and then I would tie her to the vent... totally a PITA to keep doing. So we were in Georgia and when I went into Walgreen's or CVS to see what I could figure out. Velcro seemed good but I was concerned about crap being left on the dash. Double sided tape? Nah. So I found these little things that you could supposedly hang pictures with. They kind of click together. I put the piece on the hard plastic rim around the dash vent FIRST... just in case there was any residue left I figured it'd be cheaper to replace that trim instead of the whole dash. Worked out great! I've never seen a residue. Only cautions for Troll dash driving: 1. The Troll actually gets hot in the sun and kinda squishy. 2. Sometimes the Troll can loosen up and fall off which is bad if you're taking corners and have the top and/or windows down. (Hasn't happened yet but I've envisioned myself running out onto the highway to save my Troll. )

UHOH- nice pics!

REALLY gotta go now.

BYE!

Last edited by miniola; 04-24-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2009 | 08:36 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hia Freebies.

I went to my first-ever antiques auction last night... I was actually intending to do a short "recon" (reconnaissance - checking things out) with the possibility of using this auction house for selling some of my grandmother's furniture (supplementing her estate for her health care) as well as to sell some of my own antiques to supplement my house-renovation projects. Um...yeah.... I ended up with *cough* five purchases - three big ones - (three of these):. http://www.alexandersantiques.com/April%2023/img384.htm and two mantle clocks (got them for $40 ea, they have all their proper parts, and are sound investments, and best of all, they WORK!) (I LOOOOOOVE antique clocks!)

It was a damngood thing I knew what I was looking at in antiques, however...the auction was (duh) fast and furious, and there was no way I could compete with the dealers (they had much more money than I did!! )...but I had checked everything out to begin with, and knew what I wanted/what was worth the effort. I did a REALLY REALLY good job of restraining myself from bidding on those items I really coveted, though...I love antique wooden boxes too. There were two I just didn't "need" and they went to dealers who bid high anyway. One was worth the price paid, though. *snif snif*

The auction started at 6:30p.m. and lasted until 1am. YUP, I was there the whole time. I had to call hubband and ask him to bring the truck! What REALLY concerns me is: he had absolutely NO guff or objection...to either bringing the truck on a 30minute one way trip at 10pm, or spending the money on the stuff.... This is HIGHLY unusual...I normally get SOME guff...Perhaps it was the price paid? Or when he walked in, it was borderline friendly bloodbath, but prices were tough to get elsewhere. OR, he saw what damage I COULD have done, and was admiring my self-restraint (I know I certainly was!!! THAT WAS HARD TO DO!!!) Hmmm...makes me wonder what he's up to now....

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:47 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Very nice! I haven't been to any Auctions in a long time.

My guess is that he didn't give you any problems because he has learned that you would win anyway. Or... maybe he's been thinking about something he wants and this will be used as ammunition? Yes... very interesting.

Old 04-24-2009 | 09:04 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Very nice! I haven't been to any Auctions in a long time.

My guess is that he didn't give you any problems because he has learned that you would win anyway. Or... maybe he's been thinking about something he wants and this will be used as ammunition? Yes... very interesting.
Seeeeee what I meaann??? Kinda makes me worry. But you're right - he knew I'd win anyway...

Old 04-24-2009 | 10:06 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Sarah, those shelves are GORGEOUS! What's the condition of the wood? Hard to tell from that photo, but if they're as good as they look, that was an amazing find!

I recently went to a local antique store myself... they're going out of business, lost their lease after 20 years of operating. This place was really cool. They would go into the older Victorian era estates that we had around here and reclaim things like stained glass windows, and giant marble statuary before the homes were knocked down or renovated.

I picked up a fireplace screen and two 2ft tall sculptures of suits of armor for under 200$. I'm really sad to see them go though. It's one of the few places that you could find beautiful stained glass windows and classic wrought iron fencing that had already been restored to new condition.

Old 04-24-2009 | 11:37 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Thanks! The wood isn't walnut or cherry (my two favorites), but it's something lightweight (birch? Poplar?) They really DO look good (at least in the store.) I have to go home tonight and put them all together - I was just a TAD beat when I got in so early this morning. I'll take pics, though.

I love antique shopping - it's all mom's fault. But I worked in a couple of antique stores (simultaneiously) to pay for college, started when I was 14. My age threw a lot of people off when I was working there - I wasn't one of those, "I haven't a clue, I need to call the owner" types, and I actually KNEW something about antiques. By the time I graduated from college, I was helping with appraisals. Mom and I started a business when I was 16, and I've become a "picker" - a scout for the business. (thank goodness for cellphone cameras these days!) Antique shopping (and salvage shopping!!!) is cathartic for me.

Old 04-24-2009 | 11:38 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Heeeey Vivi, darling...clean out your inbox! I can't send you PMs!

Old 04-24-2009 | 11:44 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Hmmm...makes me wonder what he's up to now....
He's got a big purchase planned for while you're at MOTD.

Old 04-24-2009 | 05:05 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Heeeey Vivi, darling...clean out your inbox! I can't send you PMs!
Yeah, what she said!

I trying to send both you and UhOh, but TNMaMa's is bouncing.

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:10 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Hi Freeb's!! Uhoh,,, you gave us some great photos to look at, thanks! And I am very impressed by your shelves purchase at the auction. And doubly impressed by your tenacity...

Ola, have a wonderful time with your family visit and soooo sorry to hear that George is:
1) a pig....
2) a thief.....
3) and well,,, a cat!!!
TNmama,,, I love that name!!! and by the way, TN, clear out your inbox!! People need to talk to you!!
I took a half day off and we drove into Philly to hear the Philadelphia Orchestra... veeery nice and then we stopped by this really nice Greek Rest. for din din... an nice way to wrap up and very hectic week.
RJ---- good luck with the liquid sandpaper,, keep me posted. I am okay with the manual work of sanding but It would sure make some areas much easier to access if it worked(the LS, that is) and I don't want to hear that you ditched the job to go golfing!!

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:24 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Sorry about that- I had cleaned it out a couple of weeks ago and in the past 3 or 4 days, I've suddenly gotten a lot of PM's...

Someone might think I'm popular or something

Got a few out, have to go thru the one's I have as I have info I need to save somwhere...
sorry

Originally Posted by HalAC
Yeah, what she said!

I trying to send both you and UhOh, but TNMaMa's is bouncing.

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:24 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
... veeery nice and then we stopped by this really nice Greek Rest. for din din... an nice way to wrap up and very hectic week....
That's one things I really miss from the area in Florida we lived in.

If you're every in the Tampa Bay area you need to go to Tarpon Springs. There's a GREAT restaurant down at the sponge docks called Hellas . It's both a restaurant and a Greek bakery. Can't say enough good about it. Minola lives close enough to be able to make it there.

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:56 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Um...yeah.... I ended up with *cough* five purchases - three big ones - (three of these):. http://www.alexandersantiques.com/April%2023/img384.htm and two mantle clocks (got them for $40 ea, they have all their proper parts, and are sound investments, and best of all, they WORK!) (I LOOOOOOVE antique clocks!)
Very cool Lawyer bookcases. I love those. I have a thing for antique chiming clocks too! I have a grandfather's clock, a grandmother's clock and numerous wall clocks, all of which chime. I think every room in my house has a clock that chimes. I find them very relaxing. Some folks do not like the noise but you get use to them and they blend into you subconsious. I can walk through my livingroom and can tell when one has stopped, otherwise I don't notice.

I looked at the link; you did very well not to need a moving van! I think I told the group about my Steinway Square Grand Piano from 1864 that I bought on Ebay. I just love to look at it and am so amazed by the work that was done by hand. You also cannot help but wonder what the furniture has seen and what stories it could tell if it could only talk.

I do agree however that hubby has in mind a purchase of his own. Look out, ha ha.

Old 04-24-2009 | 07:43 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
OK Freebies,
I've officially cleaned out my PM box.. phew! That took a long time- seems that someone keeps PMing me... and, holy Xyris, uh, my, oh, boX gets full... but I won't name names here...

Besides, this militant PM'er had some help from a Wino...

TTFN

Old 04-25-2009 | 05:56 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Morning Freebies. wow seems like forever since i was able to chat with everyone.
X- nice find!
OLA - poor George has a sweet tooth!
KIKI - hi - haven't seen you in a bit.
RG- you sure know you antique stuff!
Hal & TN - sounds like you are ready for the Dragon!
Everyone else HI!!!

I miss everyone, don't forget about me...
Job is going pretty good. It's been a week and a half and seems like i've been there months now. Lots of work! No time for surfing...
the people are really nice. the one problem I had in the beginning was a dog, owners have a Mastive they bring into the office every day, and it is nasty, attackes everyone, most people have been bitten or pinned by the dog. I love animals so I thought no problem. UNTIL... the dog attacked me 3 times in the first couple days.
So I went from a broom closet mean person that throws cell phones to an attack dog that sleeps outside my office door.
I should write a book.
It is amazing the liability this company has with this dog. They won't leave it at home because when it is left alone it destoryes the house. Oh did i say it's about 120 pounds and the head is the size of 2 footballs!
well i think i finally made friends with this dog. treats on my desk!! So with good news is I like the job and the dog hasn't attacked me all week! so I guess i will stay.
But leads me back to my freebie friends.... again i miss talking to you all!
hope everyone has a great day - here in PA it's going to be in the 80's and tomorrow 89 degrees and sunny both days.... if anyone see a Sprakling Silver flash that is just me going topless on some back twisty roads!
Oh and trying to figure out how to put a new mod on my car... once get the logistics figured out I hope to have some "diamonds" on the back of the headrests!!!!
can you imagine Diamonds on the back!! woohoo, that would be too cool!!! hopefully in a couple weeks I can show you pix!
by for now gotta get out in this sunny weather!

Old 04-25-2009 | 08:24 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Gem,
I have friends in the Rodeo world, that put Swarovski Crystals on everything and everything that moves... I don't know where they get their crystals, but for beading and other projects, I often go to Fire Mountain Gems. But if you google Swarovski and maybe rhinestones, and get some really good adhesive, you could paste them on... or find a metal setting to hold the crystal, that could be "punched" into the leather, which might be easier to fix if you lose one...
Just some ideas.

And smart work with the work dog! Bribery will get you everywhere... And let other's know this trick, altho the dog might start getting fat and the owners may have to put him in doggie daycare in order to get the fat off him...

Gotta get going- beautiful, but HOT day today... and I've got so much to do before the DRAGON

TTFN-

Old 04-25-2009 | 08:42 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hey there, hi there, ho there... (now I've got *that* stuck in all your heads, giggle)

Had a thought X... should I bring my queen air mattress? I just looked up the cabin, and I don't know how much floor space we have, but wasn't there some thought that we might have a run away Freebie showing up on our hearth?

off to figure out what else to pack, and to give Mocha a bath... and to... oh lahdy, I hate trying to figure all this stuff out- used to be so OCD and I had to give that up when I got married/had kids and now NOTHING is where it is supposed to be and I am slowly going i-n-s-a-n-e!!!

Old 04-25-2009 | 10:03 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
That's what I should do today when I'm not writing...

Detail my car.

Old 04-25-2009 | 06:59 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
My boyfriend and I test drove a Cooper Clubman and a regular Cooper and we're probably be going with a regular cooper in chili red with a black roof. We'll know by the beginning of june whether or not we're going to be getting it.

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:28 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Gem,
I have friends in the Rodeo world, that put Swarovski Crystals on everything and everything that moves... I don't know where they get their crystals, but for beading and other projects, I often go to Fire Mountain Gems. But if you google Swarovski and maybe rhinestones, and get some really good adhesive, you could paste them on... or find a metal setting to hold the crystal, that could be "punched" into the leather, which might be easier to fix if you lose one...
Just some ideas.

And smart work with the work dog! Bribery will get you everywhere... And let other's know this trick, altho the dog might start getting fat and the owners may have to put him in doggie daycare in order to get the fat off him...

Gotta get going- beautiful, but HOT day today... and I've got so much to do before the DRAGON

TTFN-
Thanks TN for the ideas, I have never heard of that site, will have to check it out! Not sure if I want to "punch" anything into the leather but you have given me some ideas! Oh hubby will never drive Nugget again, once I "bling" her out!

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:29 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIxB
My boyfriend and I test drove a Cooper Clubman and a regular Cooper and we're probably be going with a regular cooper in chili red with a black roof. We'll know by the beginning of june whether or not we're going to be getting it.
Nice - Keep us posted! b

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:32 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Awesome day!
I'm still smiling, what a great day to go topless! Seriously, I was outside all day and running errands just to drive Nugget!
I purposely didn't pick up milk at the grocery store so I would have an errand tomorrow, it is supposed to be just as nice!
PA is finally getting into topless weather!

OH and I saw my first SILK GREEN MINI today. It was beautiful!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...