Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 09:17 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Jesus Christ.... the thread title, hits and number of posts caught my attention and I just spent the last 2.3 hours reading many, but not all, the posts, trying to find out if Skillet ever got the Mini.

Thankfully I found out on page 30 or 50 (forgot where) that it did not happen.

So after this much reading I gotta post my comments on this.

1. I remembered that Apple person's sig graphic and recalled that she was all hyped up about getting a MINI, then she supposedly sold it a few weeks after it arrived off the boat so to get a car for business.

After all the excitement she displayed I concluded she was nutty.

2. When I read the post in here for a free Mini, I knew it was not going to happen, first because who was posting it, and second, people don't give away $1000, $2,000, $5,000 or $?,???.?? whatever the phantom Mini was worth.

3. As others who are in law enforcement said, later there were indicators that the deal was a hoax. As said at trial (criminal prosecutions) you have to step back and look at the bigger picture.

The bigger picture here is that the gift giver (this was an unenforceable gift, not an enforceable contract) kept coming up with delays and excuses for not doing the simplest of tasks. For example, how difficult is it to snap and send a pic with a cell phone camera? (Especially since "Apple" or Sandy had time to create a nicely done signature graphic.)

4. Like others said, if this was truly a legitimate act, a person with a kind heart would have donated the vehicle to charity rather than post it as a giveaway to a total stranger on the Internet.

5. While these kinds of hoaxes do not carry any civil or criminal penalties, I do hope "Apple" Sandy realizes that some day these kinds of despicable acts will catch up to her. Who knows, maybe God and society are already making her life difficult because this is the kind of stuff she does, apparently just to amuse herself.

I hope she does not do this kind of stuff to charitable organizations (such as making pledges or donations, so to garner an excited "thank you," only to not follow up on the donation or gift.) Aside from that being cruel, in most states those kinds of "pranks" can be enforced through civil suit.

6. I think it's great that the thread brought out people to chit chat, exchange stories and flush out the members who have good hearts. It's good to see that in the world there remains kind, decent and honest people.

7. And finally, there's a way to tell when someone is honest and someone is pulling a con. But what others said is right, that old saying, if something sounds too good.... you know the rest.

Just the way Apple posted the gift sounded suspicious. For something as valuable and substantial as this, if it were me I would have required the person to do what I did when I had something to give away:

A few years back Conan O'Brien was appearing here in San Francisco. There were only so many tickets. To try to increase my chances of getting them (if one "won" you got two tickets) I entered with two different e-mails.

Turns out I won on both e-mails so I had four tickets, coincidentally on two different nights.

Did not need two. I could have sold them on eBay or Craig's (which was supposedly forbidden by NBC, but people were selling them for $200 each).

So I posted on Craig's how I ended up with two extra tickets. I gave people 24 hours to send me an e-mail telling me why I should give away the tickets to them. I got 300 e-mails! In the end I mailed them to a nice couple in Santa Rosa who wrote me a nice two page e-mail.

(And I turned down e-mails from two beautiful college women who said they wanted to party with me in return for the tickets. And one HOT chick said she wanted to go, but had no one to go with, so she asked if I would go with her! I know, what a dumaszz I am. ).

So while my Conan tickets don't come close to what even a Mini interior might be worth, for example, the principle is the same, on how I would have disposed of the Mini on NAM, if that is what I chose to do rather than donate it to a worthy charity.

OK, that's it. Now I have spent about three hours on this thread.

Sidenote: I am assuming the deal did not go through. I am not willing to read all the posts. Has to be a record for the Mini section.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 04-29-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2009 | 01:06 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hia MichaelSF! You pretty well summed it up - she's a "bad apple" bottom line. And i think we've all learned that the internet is FARRRRRR from private, no matter what you may think. Oh - there IS a "cliff notes" thread for this one somewhere if you need it...but I'm pretty sure you got it. You did the right thing (even without the hot chicks ) on your tickets. There ARE good people in this world. Nice thing about it, most of them own MINIS - and continue to own, not sell the poor thing within months.

Originally Posted by HalAC
Kit contains the following:
1)Micro fiber towels. Lots of 'em.
2) Car wash soap. Dish detergent is a bit too harsh.
3) One or two buckets. One for soapy water, the other to rinse washing mitt.
4) Washing mitt, I prefer micro fiber.
5) Clay bar kit
6) Combo cleaner/wax.
7) Glass cleaner. Rain-X
8) Black plastic treatment. (Back-to Black, Black Wow)
9) Applicator pads.
10) California dusters, inside and outside one.

I'll probably think of something else. I usually will get some of those small airline bottles to put all my lotions in. Mark them with a Sharpie.

For your wheels, try some regular carnuba wax. Takes some effort, but anything to make the surface slick.
Don't forget your interior detailing brush (to get into the vents and things.) Paintbrushes work fairly well, too.

Vivi - I bet your car smells good!

OHKAY! I'm going to try again this afternoon - if i can disengage from work long enough, that is. Maybe I just did such a bang up job the last time I washed/waxed the car that the claybar isn't being maxed out efficiently...? I got the Turtlewax kit. I did the pre-wax thingie (came with the kit), and dried it off (didn't look bad, either.) Then I started spritzing with the claybar liquid and doing the rub thing. My claybar piece was NOT ugly, even when I went down the whole side of the car to the bonnet - I only had to remush it because of finger grip! But when I was done - even after the post-clay-rubdown, there were marks. Doggone it...it's going to drive me nuts until I get it sparkly. I was considering using the Rejex thing at least on the roof...until I know for sure what it'll do in my environment, and then GAME ON BABY.

Gotta go work so I can get out and detail my car right. I'm planning to leave early tomorrow morning. Later kids!

Old 04-28-2009 | 01:08 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
You guys are making me think that maybe I should clay Viola when the weather gets nicer... if you really get the results you say... it might be worth it!

Old 04-28-2009 | 04:42 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Since some of you are leaving tomorrow for MOTD, will you have internet access from where you are staying?

I think the Microtel in Robbinsville does.

Old 04-28-2009 | 05:17 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
HEY HI EVERYBODY!!!! AND I HOPE I AM NOT TOO LATE TO WISH ALL OF YOU MOTD PEOPLE A SAFE AND WONDERFUL TRIP!!!
Gem, I have been really swamped and on the weekend have been helping my husband work with some photo shoots - don't ask, it is too long of a story for me to get into right now.... add to that I am trying-- in all of my spare time to research individual health care plans vs. group insurance through my LLC... sigh ..... I have become a huge wet blanket and for that I apologise.
Gem, I LOVE the dog story,,, yes, you need to write a book..

Ola, your girls sound adorable and love hearing the stories,,,
I promise that I will soon get on here and try to contirubte something really funny , witty and well interesting,,, just have no time/brain power at the moment.
Can't wait to see the MOTD pics!
To the rest of you, I miss you all and am loving reading your posts,,, TTYS!!

Old 04-28-2009 | 06:30 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hi kids!

No, Hal, pretty sure the wi-fi is only available in the main lobby (not in the cabins like we're in), and with the main MOTD stuff going on there at Fontana, we may not have great connectivity.

OKAY, sooooo, to continue to the claybar events! I think it came out a little better, although I honestly still don't see much difference...maybe you guys can tell me if I'm just off my rocker when you inspect my baby in a day or so!

Car is cleaned, but not yet packed...I'll do that after dessert! I plan on heading out pretty early tomorrow...so if I feel like slowing down a little (ha!) and moseying instead, I can do that.

Take care, Freebies! Miss us!

Old 04-28-2009 | 08:03 PM
miniola
6th Gear
I am pooped. Tomorrow we go see Dolphins (fingers crossed).

You car detailers are making me laugh! Hal- what are you doing to these ladies? And you're bringing the Emergency Detailing Kit? LMAO!

Sorry I can't stay for long... but wanted to get on here and wish everyone going to MOTD good luck and lots of fun!

MichaelSF- The beginning of your post really cracked me up! We figured Apple was quite a tool a long time ago... but as you have noticed... we've made some friends along the way. BTW- you mentioned her Apple Sig. Did you know that she actually STOLE that "Apple the MINI Cooper" sig and made it her own? Yeah, don't think anyone ever mentioned that before... but that was actually a copyright image that she stole... changed a trim color and then it looked like she was so brilliantly creative.

Oh, that reminds me... guys, back whenever LtRex came here last... I decided to go and check her posting status on the E90 (BMW 335i ) forum... (ok, she really had a 328i ) She had started a big "goodbye" thread and it was quite a funny read. People don't like her there either. No one cared and some people were asking her why she was still there... I think there was a request for her to just go away too. She supposedly "just sold her BMW for a car that was better for driving around looking for homes to flip" (trailers ... yeah)... she got a PT Cruiser . Anyway, like a month had passed since she said her "goodbye" and she still continues to post there. Sad lady! And I just have to say... she puts down owners of BMW 335i and gets a PT Cruiser?

Sorry... I guess I forget sometimes how this thread was started.

BACK to our regularly scheduled FREEBIE FRIENDS! Bye and have fun you MOTDs! And to all of the rest of the buddies at home... we'll just patiently wait for pics. BTW- nice Bearista RG!

Old 04-28-2009 | 08:48 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Ola and Cab, we'll try to check in with you. In the meantime, please (with Gem's help) keep up the laughs so we have something to come home to

And we'll provide laughs too

Old 04-28-2009 | 09:14 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I miss you guys already!
Pics or it didn't happen!
Have a good time!
kluvyabaibainow!

RG

Old 04-29-2009 | 07:43 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Ola and Cab, we'll try to check in with you. In the meantime, please (with Gem's help) keep up the laughs so we have something to come home to

And we'll provide laughs too
Hey you can count on me.... Have a great time be safe and take lots of photos!
but where is CAB?????????
Cab i miss you, come back!!!

Ola, interesting on the Apple info.... a PT Crusier?????? give me a break!

Old 04-29-2009 | 07:54 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
hey CAB, glad to hear you are back for a sec.... photo shoot! sounds interesting!
talk soon to all, have fun all going to the MOTD!

Old 05-01-2009 | 08:53 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Hi everyone! I think it's getting close to clay bar time!

Old 05-01-2009 | 10:21 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
It must be... my sinuses exploded with the pollen count today.

I'm miserable... and I have to go to a bachelorette party tonight.

Old 05-01-2009 | 10:29 AM
miniola
6th Gear
I'm wondering if it's raining much at MOTD? Looks like possible flooding on the Weather Channel but of course it doesn't zoom in exactly where the dragon is (I'd have to do some map searching for that! ). I bet they're still having a blast though.

OK... so I will officially announce that I miss them. UhOh are you happy now?

My family left yesterday to go back to NH. The cake I made took FOREVER. In the end, it came out looking pretty cool... but there were lots of mess-ups and redo parts and so it wasn't really the same cake that was in my mind. I'm ok with it though... seeing that it's only the 2nd one I've ever done. I've got LOTS to learn with this fondant stuff.

Old 05-01-2009 | 11:06 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I miss them too!

We miss you V and X!

Old 05-01-2009 | 11:20 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
I hope they have fun for all of us!

Old 05-02-2009 | 12:07 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Pics from X and V at MOTD, passing it on live to all you Freebies out there!

From R to L: Vivi (TNMiniMama), Hal (HalAC), Sarah (xUHOHx), and John (Red Dragoon)

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-img00157.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009 | 02:39 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini

From R to L: Vivi (TNMiniMama), Hal (HalAC), Sarah (xUHOHx), and John (Red Dragoon)
Well... I notice two things: 1. They aren't wet. (Good thing) 2. Hal isn't smiling... or is he? Maybe he's smiling on the inside! C'mon Hal- show us some teeth!

I don't know the Dragoon... but the other two look like trouble!

Old 05-02-2009 | 03:15 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini

Great pic!

Old 05-02-2009 | 03:27 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Aw......peeps!!!!! Nice pic...thanks for sharing!!

Old 05-02-2009 | 08:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
RG thanks for sharing!! Hope everyone is having a ball!!

Old 05-02-2009 | 08:49 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Awesome photo - thanks for sharing RG!
Ola, you are correct they are dry and that is a good thing considering what i just hear on the news with the weather! And also OLA where are the photos of the cake? Glad you have a great time with the family.

HI all, how was everone elses Saturday? We went to a local Philly MINI run today and I met some more great people. this group is great.

Cab, missed you today. we are planning on attending the British car club next month. You and hubby interested?? would love to see you both again. How is the photo shoots going?
Tomorrow is rain all day and we have 4 days and counting for our friends from Scotland to come in and I'm getting really excited about their visit.

Old 05-03-2009 | 11:50 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Gem- I figured I'd wait to post any pics of the cake. I'm still "accepting it" for how it came out. I spent so many more hours on it than I had planned... some things fell apart and I had to rebuild at the last minute. I even set up a dehumidifier in the smallest space I had so I could dry out the fondant Flamingoes and palm trees. I sat in that little room and painted the Flamingoes and it was 98 degrees "DRY HEAT" though. Awe... I don't care what they say about "dry heat" being less hot... it was HOT! I know it was only my second attempt at this cake stuff... and the final product wasn't as far off from the original as the first one I did!

And I guess I second guessed about posting too since there was another thread yesterday where someone mentioned that Classic "Regulars" are frustrated and irritated with the whole "Free Classic Mini" thread. I don't necessarily understand the issue with it. I don't know how it hurts anyone. Are we taking up vital "Classic" space? I don't know how this stuff all works... this is the first and only forum I've ever belonged to. I know I've contributed lots of fluff to this thread... and perhaps that's why I take it personally. Surprisingly, this is actually one of the few threads where people aren't being vicious to each other. We get along very well here... it's our very own happy place! And there have been some nice people that have shared their Mini projects with us here... I don't think we'd ever see those in a specific "Random Thoughts" type thread.

I'm feeling a bit disappointed/discouraged by the whole Classic Mini thing today (and yesterday too). Funny... it seems that these little cars were built with the intention for any Joe Schmoe to love... but now Joe Schmoe can't own one unless he is a mechanic, knows how to weld and can do body work. Looking through the two books that I have though... looks like lots of ladies loved 'em! Maybe the key is for me to get make sure my Joe Schmoe can do all of the above!

Ok I feel better now! Gonna go float in the pool and get some sun. I have a really weird farmer-like "MINI" tan that I have to mellow out. I always wear long sleeved cotton shirts with the sleeves rolled up some when I drive. So my hands and about 4-5 inches above my wrist are really dark and my face is somewhat tan (well by European-ish whitey girl standards ). My left hand (the one that holds the wheel) is darker than the right one which is always on the shifter.

Have a good afternoon everyone!

Old 05-03-2009 | 01:14 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
And I guess I second guessed about posting too since there was another thread yesterday where someone mentioned that Classic "Regulars" are frustrated and irritated with the whole "Free Classic Mini" thread. I don't necessarily understand the issue with it. I don't know how it hurts anyone. Are we taking up vital "Classic" space? I don't know how this stuff all works... this is the first and only forum I've ever belonged to. I know I've contributed lots of fluff to this thread... and perhaps that's why I take it personally. Surprisingly, this is actually one of the few threads where people aren't being vicious to each other. We get along very well here... it's our very own happy place! And there have been some nice people that have shared their Mini projects with us here... I don't think we'd ever see those in a specific "Random Thoughts" type thread.
Wow, what am i missing here??? I'm not too much into reading all the threads that come up mainly i don't have time but WHO CARES and WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT to care that this thread is still going on??? like you said are we taking up to much space??? what thread is it?
You are so correct on the fact that we have all become friends and this is not a nasty thread, and yes if someone wants to move it fine but let us know so we can continue on with "our friendship" thread.
don't take it personal, i'm not, I just know i like coming here and saying hi to everyone and catching up with my freebies and seeing pictures of cakes, by the way it sounds awesome!!!

Sounds like the MotD is coming to an end and boy htat was a fast weekend, i can't wait to hear the stories and see the photos....

Cab are you mad at me??? or did you go along to the MotD too and didn't tell us????

Ola, i'm coming down to hang out at your pool with you! and yes 98 degrees dry heat and 98 degrees heat is still 98 degrees!!! that always cracked me up when people say that! it still hot!
enjoy your pool!

Old 05-03-2009 | 04:46 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I think the guys resent the idea that this thread was ever allowed to be here to begin with.... and this thread now draws more traffic than any other thread in the classic mini forum.

Of course, they are forgetting what Norm told us early on, the classic mini forum wasn't drawing much traffic at all until this thread showed up.

For my part, I would love to own a classic, but I'll buy one that someone else has either fully restored, or has finished all the body and engine work and left the interior restoration to me. I can't do engines or paint... but I can do upholstery and carpet. That's what drew me to this thread to begin with.. that and when I saw who the OP was... I knew it had to be a scam... but I never held that against skillet or anyone else who decided to bite when the offer was put up there.

Someone had to call her out.

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...