Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009 | 05:23 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Gem here's a link to the 'other' thread...Stratman977 is the one who made the comment that the 'regulars' are upset that this thread has grown to the size that it is. See post #23...I stuck up for US good!!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uys-think.html

Old 05-03-2009 | 05:48 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
Wow, what am i missing here??? I'm not too much into reading all the threads that come up mainly i don't have time but WHO CARES and WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT to care that this thread is still going on??? like you said are we taking up to much space??? what thread is it?
You are so correct on the fact that we have all become friends and this is not a nasty thread, and yes if someone wants to move it fine but let us know so we can continue on with "our friendship" thread.
don't take it personal, i'm not, I just know i like coming here and saying hi to everyone and catching up with my freebies and seeing pictures of cakes, by the way it sounds awesome!!!

Sounds like the MotD is coming to an end and boy htat was a fast weekend, i can't wait to hear the stories and see the photos....

Cab are you mad at me??? or did you go along to the MotD too and didn't tell us????

Ola, i'm coming down to hang out at your pool with you! and yes 98 degrees dry heat and 98 degrees heat is still 98 degrees!!! that always cracked me up when people say that! it still hot!
enjoy your pool!
Sorry Gem! If I go back and re-read my post... ... no wonder you were trying to figure out what the hell I was talking about! I am silly. I always check out the FRESHLY BAKED NEW POSTS when I log on. It's sort of my own "Random Thoughts" way of doing things. I saw that Skillet had started a thread about a potential Mini find and I was happy that he was keeping his dream alive. Then I felt kinda weird because I guess I didn't realize that there was all this turmoil about us over here.

RJ certainly did defend us! And RG I totally agree... I want one too!

I'll have to come back later since dinner is ready and I'll get in trouble if I don't get away from here. The pool is 87 and I floated for awhile then worked out for an hour. Then I changed a wheel on my Cooper. Woo! Tubbed up... jumped on here and now I'm about ready to get ripped a new one over clicking keys on the keyboard!

If Cab's mad... she's mad at all of us! I think she's REALLY busy. She couldn't stop loving us if she tried!

Old 05-04-2009 | 08:55 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
G'mornin Freebies!

Who cares if they're miffed?? We specifically asked if this thread ought to be moved to "off topic" and it wasn't - so it's not our fault. And we DO randomly wander back onto ON topic (ish), so...if they can't take a joke, they can take a bus.

OH yeah...and I accidently fell into a Hampton Roads MINI club convoy on the way down (I was one of 13 MINIs!) We stopped for lunch, and a couple of people started asking me about the Free Classic Mini thread and how everybody was doing!?!! I had NO CLUE who these people were - but obviously they put 2 + 2 (my license plate = username) and knew who I was! Turns out they were lurkers. So funny!! Hi Lurkers!

My on-topic note, before I wander off to updating you guys: there was a BEEEEUTIFUL classic BRG and white Mini at the Dragon!!! I have pictures, but they're at home, and I can't get to my photoalbum websites at work anyway...all the photos deserve a little extra care and attention anyway! But this classic *sigh* was gorgeous. Right hand drive, restored interior, and just a BEAUT. I want one.

ANywhooooo.... THanks, RG for posting the pic for me! Being at Fontana, there was absolutely ZERO cell reception, and I never seemed to have time to take the laptop to the main lobby from the cabin (a drive or quite a hike) to do anything... So when I had an opportunity, we took it. Those are the DRY photos!!! Vivi (TNMM) has beaucoup pics of the rest of the trip. I think I ran out of dry clothes by day 2. And I had a BEE in my BONNET!!! (AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!) Man, I can tell I have to get back online later (at home) and really give you guys an update.)

Have a great day Freebies!

Old 05-04-2009 | 12:03 PM
miniola
6th Gear
UhOh you're BACK! And yes, I'm sure you have LOTS of pics and stories to tell! A BEE IN YOUR BONNET?!??! Can't wait. It seriously looked "monsoon-y" (my own made up word) on the Weather Channel... even looked like there could be some Twisters near the Twisties! I know I've read about the Fontana "fire"... but TWISTERS?? Couldn't tell you guys to hunker down... hoped you had some kind of weather reports up there!(ok... maybe we really need this guy-)

Your story about meeting up with the closet "lurkers" made me laugh! Hilarious! So we're like legends? Rock stars? FREEBIES! Love us or hate us. I suspect that there are MANY lurkers... just too afraid to admit it! Maybe they'll stop by sometime... new people always welcome here!

Ok... I'm feeling better now. Except that I find myself pining for a Classic again (well... not like I really ever stopped... just tried to block it out ). Call of the SIREN. In all honesty... I get all drooly and crazy when I see Classics.

(I think I went nutso with the smilies... but I'm sure it was expected. )

I'll post some pics of the Flamingo Cake.

*This was the beginning inspiration for the cake... orange slice pool floats that I bought the girls.

Last edited by miniola; 05-04-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2009 | 01:32 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Aw, 'Ola, you make me warm and fuzzy! (Ok, so I already had the "fuzzy" part down due to humidity...actually, I almost look like one of your dashboard girls with dark hair!!) We missed you guys!

Yes - a GIHUGIC black carpenter bee got stuck in my hood scoop Friday. So I had a "bee" in my "bonnet!!" I have pics, which I'll post later....

I love you guys!!!

Old 05-04-2009 | 01:35 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
THIS KID IS SO FREAKIN' FUNNY!!!! Makes me wonder if 'Ola wasn't like this as a kid....

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=...2398&gt1=42007

Old 05-04-2009 | 01:50 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
THIS KID IS SO FREAKIN' FUNNY!!!! Makes me wonder if 'Ola wasn't like this as a kid....

That is effing HYSTERICAL!!!

Old 05-04-2009 | 01:51 PM
miniola
6th Gear

I was TOTALLY shy. But I will say that one of my nieces is very much like this one!

Ok... uploading pics. I have protected the identities of some.

Old 05-04-2009 | 02:03 PM
miniola
6th Gear
The Flamingo Cake

Here goes...

1. Here's the cake. The water was made with hard candy. This was the 5th batch.
At the Jungle Gardens- each girl got big stuffed snakes... so the green and orange snakes
were last minute decisions. The tree trunks are giant Tootsie Rolls on skewers.

2. The girls wanted to bite the heads off of their individual Flamingoes. I let them and they
loved it. Remember... I have been in the 98 degree "dry heat" painting those babies!

3. They REALLY liked the cake. The husband's identity has not been protected. I was getting
such a tight hug that I actually couldn't breathe.

4. After the Flamingo heads were eaten... they wanted to go for the TREES!

5. The husband was nice enough to take some close-ups of "his" Flamingo (shark)
circling the cake.

Last edited by miniola; 05-04-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2009 | 02:06 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Ola that cake is FANTASTIC!

Have you ever thought about doing a food network cake challenge?

Old 05-04-2009 | 02:16 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Ola that cake is FANTASTIC!

Have you ever thought about doing a food network cake challenge?
Thank you. But OMG! I was thinking... please just get this one done! I think I will be much better once I learn how to use all this fondant stuff. Again... I try to remind myself that it's only the second one... I've got LOTS to learn.

Old 05-04-2009 | 03:55 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
I found this poor little guy in my mail box last night. He was a little cold, but he was bundled up in a blankie and came with a note asking me to give him a good home. So I brought him inside and put him straight to bed with my old dog, who kept him warm through the chilly night we had here last night. He doesn't snore at all and Reilly didn't seem to mind sharing his crate with him. So I think he will make an excellent addition to our family!

This morning, we got out of bed and heard the sound of the robo-espresso gearing up. We were a little confused and then we came downstairs and found this in the kitchen:

After breakfast, we took him on a tour of the house and he was thrilled when we got to the basement. He looked around the home theater with awe in his eyes and then he spied my anime collection and dove straight for the shelves!! I think he's really looking forward to watching Robotech with me tomorrow while the kids are in school!

And finally when we got to the garage, he saw Viola and he squealed! He begged for a run through the bends with me, so I opened the door and I heard a rousing cry of... "SHOTGUN!!!"

It's a beautiful day at Casa RG.

Thanks X. He's adorable and I love him already!

RG he is adorable and I loved all of your photos showing us a day in the life of........sure is fun to get on here and laugh a bit!

Old 05-04-2009 | 04:00 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Pics from X and V at MOTD, passing it on live to all you Freebies out there!

From R to L: Vivi (TNMiniMama), Hal (HalAC), Sarah (xUHOHx), and John (Red Dragoon)

I love the picture!! Hi TNmm, Hal, UhOh, and Dragoon,,,, great to see your smiling faces...

Okay, I know i am behind here,, but I am doing my best to catch up!

Old 05-04-2009 | 04:18 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
It was so great to be able to meet some of the Freebie's that frequent this forum. The wife and I had a great time with you all. She's wanting to do MOTD next year.

I hope that more of the Freebie's can get together next year at MOTD 2010.

Deb and I left Robbinsville Sunday morning to drive on the Skyway. Unfortunately the weather really sucked that morning. We were driving in the clouds for about 70% of the time. Not too much of a good view. When we got to Telico Plains, we decided to go up to Sevierville to visit Bass Pro Shops to get me a new rain suit. I really needed a new one after the drenching I got Saturday during the panoramic photo shoot.

Boy was that a mistake! The trip up there was fine until we got to about five miles from BPS. Traffic came to a complete halt. It took us about a half a hour to go that last five miles. Once we got there that place was wall to wall people. I guess Deb and I are getting to be old fogies. Just can't stand large crowds like that any more.

We did have a nice lunch of a couple of appetizers at the restaurant there at BPS. After we got a few items there we headed home. Got in about 7:45 PM and was dead tired. Just unloaded what I needed to and waited until today after work to unload the rest.

BTW, where's the pics of Mike?

Old 05-04-2009 | 04:19 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Here goes...

1. Here's the cake. The water was made with hard candy. This was the 5th batch.
At the Jungle Gardens- each girl got big stuffed snakes... so the green and orange snakes
were last minute decisions. The tree trunks are giant Tootsie Rolls on skewers.

2. The girls wanted to bite the heads off of their individual Flamingoes. I let them and they
loved it. Remember... I have been in the 98 degree "dry heat" painting those babies!

3. They REALLY liked the cake. The husband's identity has not been protected. I was getting
such a tight hug that I actually couldn't breathe.

4. After the Flamingo heads were eaten... they wanted to go for the TREES!

5. The husband was nice enough to take some close-ups of "his" Flamingo (shark)
circling the cake.

Wow! Ola!! You are the cake-baking-making queen!!
I have absolutely no patience for doing one of those,, and I really admire people who can.
But I can mow a mean yard and arrange some really pretty flowers if that counts for anything??

And please don't tell me that the MOTD is already over?? Lordy I was off of here as much as the travelers were!! ( hanging my head in shame) I must confess while it has been really busy my son also got me hooked on a facebook application that really has me addicted. PLus It is fun to see him online daily and get a little visit from him

UhOh-- that is awesome that other MINI owners recognized you from your tags. Did they have nice things to say about us?

and speaking of nice things to say, jeez I wish someone would just move us to anther thread somewhere for crying out loud...

there have I caught up enough yet????

Old 05-04-2009 | 04:23 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Oh!! And Gem,, I couldn't EVER be mad at you or any of my friends on here.... I just got busy and we have had some really pressing things to deal with and I just wasn't in a very good frame of mind.... no sense me bringing that onto the thread... right??
Someone mentioned earlier and it is true we have developed some good friendships on here... I will try to do better.
( now where are my witty quips when I need them????)

Old 05-04-2009 | 07:49 PM
miniola
6th Gear
CAB! Missed you. Figured something was going on. Very suspicious though once Gem mentioned that maybe you snuck to the MOTD! Hope your "stuff" is getting worked out. I think you are allowed to talk about it here ... if you want or need to. I know what you mean about btchin' and bringing things down though. Sometimes it's just easier to not say anything. Looks like you got caught up pretty quickly. And yes, mowing and flowers count!

Hey am I just crazy or... wait... I already know the answer to THAT one... OK... is anyone else now receiving their thread subscription notifications of new posts from this: [adrian.harris@internetbrands.com] instead of northamericanmotoring.com ? I just noticed tonight when my regular email inbox started getting the notifications of new posts and they weren't going into the special NAM folder that I have set up. Maybe I missed a memo somewhere.

Guess I'll call it a night.

Old 05-04-2009 | 08:00 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
It was so great to be able to meet some of the Freebie's that frequent this forum. The wife and I had a great time with you all. She's wanting to do MOTD next year.

We seem to have a new convert! Watch out Hal, you'll be getting the Mrs. a MINI before you know it
I hope that more of the Freebie's can get together next year at MOTD 2010.
Here here! I second that emotion!
Deb and I left Robbinsville Sunday morning to drive on the Skyway. Unfortunately the weather really sucked that morning. We were driving in the clouds for about 70% of the time. Not too much of a good view. When we got to Telico Plains, we decided to go up to Sevierville to visit Bass Pro Shops to get me a new rain suit. I really needed a new one after the drenching I got Saturday during the panoramic photo shoot.
Twas a very very wet morning! And Hal was in the middle of it all...

Boy was that a mistake! The trip up there was fine until we got to about five miles from BPS. Traffic came to a complete halt. It took us about a half a hour to go that last five miles. Once we got there that place was wall to wall people. I guess Deb and I are getting to be old fogies. Just can't stand large crowds like that any more.
Bummer!

We did have a nice lunch of a couple of appetizers at the restaurant there at BPS. After we got a few items there we headed home. Got in about 7:45 PM and was dead tired. Just unloaded what I needed to and waited until today after work to unload the rest.

BTW, where's the pics of Mike?
Mike... hmmm... Mike pix... I have them on my Facebook photo album- don't know how to post them here. All I ever get are the small thumbnails when I do post photos. Any hints?

Old 05-04-2009 | 08:12 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Hey am I just crazy or... wait... I already know the answer to THAT one... OK... is anyone else now receiving their thread subscription notifications of new posts from this: [adrian.harris@internetbrands.com] instead of northamericanmotoring.com ? I just noticed tonight when my regular email inbox started getting the notifications of new posts and they weren't going into the special NAM folder that I have set up. Maybe I missed a memo somewhere.

Guess I'll call it a night.
Yup - I thought something was really wrong, so I sent a message to the administrators. Seems they've recently been doing some server hiccup control, and the Adam guy is one of the administrators...internetbrands owns NAM. ANd yes, dear, you're crazy. Your hubby is cute, though!

Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Mike... hmmm... Mike pix... I have them on my Facebook photo album- don't know how to post them here. All I ever get are the small thumbnails when I do post photos. Any hints?
YES, I have HINTS! Upload the photos to your picasa account (or send 'em to me to upload to my photobucket) and then post them here.

Old 05-04-2009 | 08:20 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hey all welcome back!!!!!!!!! Pictures we need more picutes... X, Hal, TN

OLA- OMG you cake looks amazing! and really tasty too! As Cab, I don't have the talent or the patience to do a regular cake let alone the detail you have there! way to go and your neices are beautiful.

Cab, ohhhhh welcome back! and just remember if i can put my "job hunting experiences" on here and grumble about - that is what freebie friends are for! grumble on girl!
OH and my grumble for the day... STOP RAINING!

RG thanks for giving everyone at the other thread a "what for" for us!

talk to everyone later... Oh and our Scotish friends are coming in 3 days, whhhoooo i'm excited, so i won't have much time on here for the next couple weeks, but know I will get on when i can.

Old 05-04-2009 | 08:25 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Yeah.... Ola, that cake is just way awesome. Wanna make my birthday cake? (giggle)....
I'll have to post photos somewhere soon... I'm purdy bushed tho
Gem, remember "if it ain't scottish, it's crap" (got that off an old SNL)... you have to say that in a thick scottish brogue!
Cab, methinks you need a hug... (((((((HUG))))))))
Hope everyone has a good night, I'm about to chase my eyeballs to bed
nite -

Old 05-04-2009 | 09:46 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa

RG thanks for giving everyone at the other thread a "what for" for us!

Did I? I don't remember doing so...

RJ did I thought. RJ, wasn't that you?

Old 05-05-2009 | 06:25 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Did I? I don't remember doing so...

RJ did I thought. RJ, wasn't that you?
LMAO here,,, see, I am not the only one who gets the RG/RJ thing mixed up.....!!!
And BTW RJ-- your rebuke raaaawked!!! I am still shaking my head over the upsets our little thread has caused.... and it wasn't very pleasant to read some of those jerks blasting poor skillet,, he is such a sincere sweet guy and all he wants to have is a Classic mini.... sigh.

Old 05-05-2009 | 06:46 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
LMAO here,,, see, I am not the only one who gets the RG/RJ thing mixed up.....!!!
And BTW RJ-- your rebuke raaaawked!!! I am still shaking my head over the upsets our little thread has caused.... and it wasn't very pleasant to read some of those jerks blasting poor skillet,, he is such a sincere sweet guy and all he wants to have is a Classic mini.... sigh.
Oh, I don't think any of THOSE posters were blasting Skillet, they were just referring to others who might've said something - today's updates on that thread are actually very well spoken and not mean at all. I think it was a semi-understandable knee-jerk reaction/misinterpretation. And none of them really thought we were harmful/annoying. Again, I state for the record (as did Skillet on that thread) that we ASKED if we needed to be moved off-topic, and no one did it.

*sigh* I really want a classic. I REEEALLLY want a classic Mini TRUCK though... THat would be both awesome AND practical!

Old 05-05-2009 | 06:53 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Oh, I don't think any of THOSE posters were blasting Skillet, they were just referring to others who might've said something - today's updates on that thread are actually very well spoken and not mean at all. I think it was a semi-understandable knee-jerk reaction/misinterpretation. And none of them really thought we were harmful/annoying. Again, I state for the record (as did Skillet on that thread) that we ASKED if we needed to be moved off-topic, and no one did it.

*sigh* I really want a classic. I REEEALLLY want a classic Mini TRUCK though... THat would be both awesome AND practical!

Hey!! That is exactly what I want,, a cute little Classic mini truck,,,,, oooh I REALLY do!!

Well, actually I should have clarified that earlier statement,, the persons who initially did come across harshly to skillet ended up offering their help when they realized he was sincere,,, but it still was hard to read the earlier posts...

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...