Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:58 AM
miniola
6th Gear
So UhOh- you finally saw the pics, right? Would you agree that that one pic (#141?) looked like a Holy Moment?

I'm still thinking about what you said about your brother looking like DJ. I think I was a bit too old to think DJ was cute... plus... he was a REALLY annoying little brother. I wonder what "DJ" looks like now.

**Google is an amazing thing. Your brother looks better.

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:02 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I'd just like to say...Happy Birthday Mini!! Today was the day 50 years ago the first classic Mini rolled off the assembly line.

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:06 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIxB
I'd just like to say...Happy Birthday Mini!! Today was the day 50 years ago the first classic Mini rolled off the assembly line.

JK! Saw the "OFF TOPIC" guy before the birthday guy!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Last edited by miniola; 05-08-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2009 | 12:09 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Didn't know there was a topic in this thread

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:17 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
So UhOh- you finally saw the pics, right? Would you agree that that one pic (#141?) looked like a Holy Moment?

I'm still thinking about what you said about your brother looking like DJ. I think I was a bit too old to think DJ was cute... plus... he was a REALLY annoying little brother. I wonder what "DJ" looks like now.

**Google is an amazing thing. Your brother looks better.
Holy CRAP!! THAT's what "DJ" looks like NOW!?!?

Hmm.. Maybe we're a little related. This pic was taken at my wedding rehearsal dinner (c. 2005) - That's dad in between us.

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:20 PM
miniola
6th Gear
UhOh needs to put her special cake one here.

So MinixB- I think it was yesterday that I asked about your Classic. I won't make you go back and read through it... . How did you find your Classic? Did you need to do much work on it? Did you do all of your own work? Have you been overwhelmed by all of the maintenance and responsibility of ownership? I've wondered about you and your car.

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:21 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Didn't know there was a topic in this thread
Good point!! In any case, the rules don't apply to classic Mini owners!!!

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:25 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
UhOh needs to put her special cake one here.
Whaa? What special cake one? What special cake for that matter? Did I fall asleep and miss something again!?!?

So MinixB- I think it was yesterday that I asked about your Classic. I won't make you go back and read through it... . How did you find your Classic? Did you need to do much work on it? Did you do all of your own work? Have you been overwhelmed by all of the maintenance and responsibility of ownership? I've wondered about you and your car.
Yeah...what she said!

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:29 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Good point!! In any case, the rules don't apply to classic Mini owners!!!
Ummm... yeah... ... the "irony" was understood, right? After all... I just posted a pic of a grown up "DJ" from Roseanne.

UhOh- I was going to ask if he was in the military too... ... I know... dumb question. Anyway... the "do" he has pretty much answers the question.

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:32 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Whaa? What special cake one? What special cake for that matter? Did I fall asleep and miss something again!?!?

Yeah...what she said!

This one! Perfecto!

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:35 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
UhOh- I was going to ask if he was in the military too... ... I know... dumb question. Anyway... the "do" he has pretty much answers the question.
Yup. We were tag-teaming deployments and he barely made it back for the wedding. I made him get all duded-up in his dress blues for the wedding - he was the last sabre in the sabre arch (which he loved since the last guy is supposed to whack the bride on her...butt...) He is a clown. Ask TNMM.

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:39 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Yup. We were tag-teaming deployments and he barely made it back for the wedding. I made him get all duded-up in his dress blues for the wedding - he was the last sabre in the sabre arch (which he loved since the last guy is supposed to whack the bride on her...butt...) He is a clown. Ask TNMM.
I bet.

So did I scare MinixB away?

Old 05-08-2009 | 02:50 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
You didn't scare me away I had to get to work. I found my Mini on Mini Mania in the classifieds section. I paid $5,000 for her which is pretty cheap in classic Mini terms. Luckily she wasn't in bad shape but she wasn't very well loved either. She lived in florida and the owner kept her in a tiny garage covered with junk. When I bought her the only things that were wrong were the brakes were going out on the front and the water pump was going out. Pretty easy fixes. The one thing you've got to figure out when you get your Mini is where you like to get your parts from. I first bought my parts from Mini Mania. I don't personally like dealing with them so I order all my parts through GB car parts... I'm lucky because there are a few people in the Kansas City area that know how to work on Mini's so I ask them for their help when I need to work on my car.

Although I wasn't really expecting the Mini to need parts about every time I drove her I kinda had a feeling it's going to need new parts sooner or later..(she is 32 years old...) Before I bought my Mini though I did ALOT of research about them, how they work, what a good Mini should look like and things like that. I took my time looking for a Mini when I was finally ready to buy one too. It took me about 6 months before I finally decided on BB. One great thing about classic Mini's is that most of their parts don't cost to much and they're pretty easy to work on once you figure out little tricks (like take the grill off when you want to work on the radiator or do your oil change).

If you are looking for a classic right now just take your time and do your research. It will pay off in the long run. If I didn't know anything about Mini's before I bought mine I'd be totally lost. LOL

Sorry about the long post....

Old 05-08-2009 | 05:39 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I think I scared everyone away...

Old 05-08-2009 | 05:39 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Cab: Welcome! I'll do better next time around!

X, V: Wheel lights? Inquiring minds wanna know!
I believe I got those at K-Mart, but I think I've seen them at Wal-Mart also. They come in several different colors.

I know some states frown upon the use of red or blue lights other than your red tail lights.

Old 05-08-2009 | 06:50 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Nope! I'm just busy getting ready to have the gals over. Your post was actually incredibly informative! It sounds like you did a lot of things with your Mini the way I did when I bought my MINI. I knew that these cars didn't have a good reputation for reliability so I made sure we had enough income to cover any potential surprises, then I checked to make sure there were local guys that could service my car that really knew what they were doing, and then I spent hours in the configurator online... and then I came here and talked to a lot of people... and eventually I walked onto the lot thinking I was going to order, and there she was. I was ready and she was waiting.

It's really like making any other major purchase, but I do think that knowing more about the ins and outs of owning a classic car is vital to the ownership of one. I'm not sure I'm prepared for that just yet, but maybe in a few years when I have the time and energy to commit... I'll go get a Mini too.

Old 05-08-2009 | 08:45 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Mini's take alot of work if you get one that's run down or breaks down alot...As long as you get a decent Mini to begin with and then take good care of it your shouldn't have too many problems.

Old 05-09-2009 | 08:10 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
That can be said for a New MINI as well as a Classic Mini!! I'm thinking 24 years from now when Molly is a Classic she will still be younger than I, but at 70 years old you can expect I'll be falling apart!!

Old 05-09-2009 | 06:18 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Miniola - Will you be trying to catch the shuttle launch this coming Monday?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/

Don't forget about that route I told you to take to avoid most of the traffic.

Old 05-10-2009 | 03:57 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Okay Freebies,,, we have been trying to gently break it to you all but frankly you guys aren't reading closely enough and paying attention!!

The reason I was so silent over the past couple weeks is that at the last minute I decided to chuck it all and join in on the MOTD fun!!

I tried to stay out of most of their pictures but I had to pose for a few to prove to my husband that yes, I did really attend!
OK - I"m trying to quickly catch up on the reading before my guests wake up.... but this one, all i can say is GOOD ON CAB!!!

Old 05-10-2009 | 04:07 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
x - LOVE THIS

Old 05-10-2009 | 04:08 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Ya know, the Evil Irony is that Magic ***** take away stiffness

Old 05-10-2009 | 04:26 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
OK REALLY QUICK, (SOMEONE IS WAKING) ...
we are having a great time and the first day I took guest hubby out and made him drive MY MINI!!! He really liked it!!!

Miss everyone, and will catch up again in a couple days!

Old 05-11-2009 | 09:35 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Guess what guys? My brother left me a voice mail message yesterday:

"Guess who. I never realized how many MINIs were out there until last weekend [after he got back from his first MOTD]. I talked to [the fiancee] and we're going to hit the local MINI club's pub meet this weekend, and she's excited about it, too! Looks like we're definitely going to get a MINI as soon as the budget gives us room!!!!!"

My evil plan is working! According to mom and girlfriend, he hasn't shut up about MINIs at ALL since MOTD. heh heh heh..... WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!

Old 05-11-2009 | 10:47 AM
miniola
6th Gear

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...