Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:46 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIxB
You didn't scare me away I had to get to work. I found my Mini on Mini Mania in the classifieds section. I paid $5,000 for her which is pretty cheap in classic Mini terms. Luckily she wasn't in bad shape but she wasn't very well loved either. She lived in florida and the owner kept her in a tiny garage covered with junk. When I bought her the only things that were wrong were the brakes were going out on the front and the water pump was going out. Pretty easy fixes. The one thing you've got to figure out when you get your Mini is where you like to get your parts from. I first bought my parts from Mini Mania. I don't personally like dealing with them so I order all my parts through GB car parts... I'm lucky because there are a few people in the Kansas City area that know how to work on Mini's so I ask them for their help when I need to work on my car.

Although I wasn't really expecting the Mini to need parts about every time I drove her I kinda had a feeling it's going to need new parts sooner or later..(she is 32 years old...) Before I bought my Mini though I did ALOT of research about them, how they work, what a good Mini should look like and things like that. I took my time looking for a Mini when I was finally ready to buy one too. It took me about 6 months before I finally decided on BB. One great thing about classic Mini's is that most of their parts don't cost to much and they're pretty easy to work on once you figure out little tricks (like take the grill off when you want to work on the radiator or do your oil change).

If you are looking for a classic right now just take your time and do your research. It will pay off in the long run. If I didn't know anything about Mini's before I bought mine I'd be totally lost. LOL

Sorry about the long post....
Thanks for sharing your story.

So were you able to drive your Mini home from FL or did you haul it home?

Yeah, there's so much to learn. I've read and researched for a long time... but I still don't know how to "fix" cars. In my research I have learned that there are also lots of squabbles within the "Classic" community regarding re-vins, re-shells, V-Tecs and the Classic Purists. And there are Classic Purists that can't stand the MINI.

I'll tell you that I would rather have a Mini like the one you found... being stored with junk stacked on top of it than a so called "mint condition- virtually rust free- RESPRAY to look fresh and new" Mini. I don't want fresh paint. You just know you're asking for trouble.

I would have guessed Mini-Mania to be the source of Classic Parts. Don't think I've ever heard of GB before. So are their prices better or is it mostly based on service?

The Mini that I saw in Maine last September was considered a Classic... but the guy said that the guy before him had gotten it into the states MANY years ago by doing a re-vin. The car had been in the states for about 30 years I think. I remember looking at it and trying to visualize things I had learned in my books regarding markers to figure out what year it was. The lights, hinges, etc.

My personal taste for a Mini would be one that is early '60's or I'd really like one that's updated to specs of a '95 Sidewalk with Tartan Trim OR one that is updated to '97. Still think my best dream would be a Riley Elf though.

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:53 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
Miniola - Will you be trying to catch the shuttle launch this coming Monday?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/

Don't forget about that route I told you to take to avoid most of the traffic.

I didn't get to go. But I had printed off the directions and also had placed your post somewhere so that I could go back to it if I lost the paper. Are the country roads well marked with route numbers? I remember trying to trace out the roads with Google Earth and couldn't find one of them... don't remember which one now. Anyway, I wish I could have gone... it was just too early in the day to try and get there. The last launch worked out pretty well... being on a weekend evening and all. Maybe I'll be able to catch the next one. Maybe the crew from Atlantis will have to be rescued and I can try to make it over for that launch.

Old 05-11-2009 | 12:05 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Guess what guys? My brother left me a voice mail message yesterday:

"Guess who. I never realized how many MINIs were out there until last weekend [after he got back from his first MOTD]. I talked to [the fiancee] and we're going to hit the local MINI club's pub meet this weekend, and she's excited about it, too! Looks like we're definitely going to get a MINI as soon as the budget gives us room!!!!!"

My evil plan is working! According to mom and girlfriend, he hasn't shut up about MINIs at ALL since MOTD. heh heh heh..... WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!

This is "DJ"?
MINI/Mini takeover!

Hey Gem- thanks for stopping by. Hope you're having fun.

CABWY- You're gone again?

Hello to everyone else.

Old 05-11-2009 | 03:42 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Thanks for sharing your story.

So were you able to drive your Mini home from FL or did you haul it home?

I would have guessed Mini-Mania to be the source of Classic Parts. Don't think I've ever heard of GB before. So are their prices better or is it mostly based on service?

My personal taste for a Mini would be one that is early '60's or I'd really like one that's updated to specs of a '95 Sidewalk with Tartan Trim OR one that is updated to '97. Still think my best dream would be a Riley Elf though.
I had my Mini shipped from florida for 750 dollars. It took three days to get her here from Tampa to Kansas City.

I use GB car parts because their prices are much lower than Mini Mania and their service and shipping is ALOT faster. I only go to Mini Mania for parts if I can't find the part anywhere else, including looking at British parts stores on the web (Shipping from a part from Britain was faster than shipping from Mini Mania but that was just my experience but I've heard from a couple other people that they have the same problem).

When you look at Mini's that are "updated to something specs" it's usually just a 95 Sidewalk or whatever that has been re-vinned.

Honestly I wouldn't go for a fuel injected Mini just from what I've heard from people. If something goes wrong with the computer in it there's no one here who can fix it and if it starts running rich or whatever there's nothing really you can do about it. If you do buy a fuel injected get the Single Point Injection (SPI). It can be converted to a carbourated engine. If you get the multi-point injection (MPI) engine it can't be converted. Also, the engine parts for them are more expensive...

Old 05-11-2009 | 04:47 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Guess what guys? My brother left me a voice mail message yesterday:

"Guess who. I never realized how many MINIs were out there until last weekend [after he got back from his first MOTD]. I talked to [the fiancee] and we're going to hit the local MINI club's pub meet this weekend, and she's excited about it, too! Looks like we're definitely going to get a MINI as soon as the budget gives us room!!!!!"

My evil plan is working! According to mom and girlfriend, he hasn't shut up about MINIs at ALL since MOTD. heh heh heh..... WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!

Muah! Hah hah hah hah hah hah............ ( this said while twirling my imaginary mustache) that is awesome, Uhoh,, and a very funny story!!

Old 05-11-2009 | 04:51 PM
cabwy
6th Gear

This is "DJ"?
MINI/Mini takeover!

Hey Gem- thanks for stopping by. Hope you're having fun.

CABWY- You're gone again?

Hello to everyone else.

Noooo Ola, I am around,,just had a busy holiday weekend. And that migraine really kicked my behind towrds the end of the week and bright screens really bother me(on the laptop) but I am back and ready to torment you all now!

Did everyone who is a mother have a great day?? My kids are out of state but I still really enjoyed my day and the phone calls,,,, and the weather was just spectacular!!

Old 05-11-2009 | 04:52 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Gem!! Sounds like you are having a great time!! Your friends arrived at a great time weather wise,,,, have fun and stop in when you can!!

Old 05-11-2009 | 04:53 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Greeeat! Now I am posting duplicate posts,,,, the site is acting buggy here.....

Old 05-11-2009 | 10:23 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
I just came across this thread for the first time (don't frequent the classic forum often) but thought it was interesting that the original post was created on my birthday. Would have been a HELLUVA present had I come across the thread. I don't have time to go through all 4900+ posts, but I'm assuming someone got quite the deal. Hope they're enjoying it...seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Old 05-12-2009 | 01:38 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198
I just came across this thread for the first time (don't frequent the classic forum often) but thought it was interesting that the original post was created on my birthday. Would have been a HELLUVA present had I come across the thread. I don't have time to go through all 4900+ posts, but I'm assuming someone got quite the deal. Hope they're enjoying it...seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Wow, I thought I was done with this thread, but my being subscribed to it caused your comment to be posted to my e-mail.

I too have never visited the classic section, since I have a 2006. I saw the headline and the number of posts, so I too got curious.

I spent three hours reading about 1/8th the posts to find out if he got the Mini, for free.

Meh... it was NOT a once in a lifetime opportunity, unless what you are talking about is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be conned and to waste one's time trying to deal with the flake.

He did not get it, the person was an evil person. Or perhaps not evil, just mean and deranged.

So, no, someone did not get a deal.

Old 05-12-2009 | 05:08 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
LOL, Michael,, that was a good "wrap up" of what happened on this thread.. except you forgot to mention that it's still going strong becasue of the good friendships that came out of a bad deal.
Hello Duck, hang around if you like good jokes and good conversations..

Old 05-12-2009 | 05:26 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Mornin' Freebies.

MINIxB - you keep talking like that, and you're going to have to start your own "How To for Noobs" forum! If only I could win the lottery and find my dream Classic! Oh yeah...and grow some extra TIME. *Sigh*

Later Freebies!

Old 05-12-2009 | 08:19 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Michael: Some of us got a deal.

Some of us made some really great friends that we might not have made otherwise...

Now if we can just get several of us in the same location for a group photo.. I think our days will be made.

Old 05-12-2009 | 10:07 AM
babblingdweeb
2nd Gear
Seriously, I feel like I have to post...this thread won't die and I have been reading along trying so hard not to post.

Although I wasn't really expecting the Mini to need parts about every time I drove her I kinda had a feeling it's going to need new parts sooner or later..(she is 32 years old...) Before I bought my Mini though I did ALOT of research about them, how they work, what a good Mini should look like and things like that. I took my time looking for a Mini when I was finally ready to buy one too. It took me about 6 months before I finally decided on BB. One great thing about classic Mini's is that most of their parts don't cost to much and they're pretty easy to work on once you figure out little tricks (like take the grill off when you want to work on the radiator or do your oil change).
I have a similar vibe from Betty...she runs well, had a recent tune up and replaced any major issues before I found her. I was very lucky, all the work was done at a local shop that specializes in classics (and modern Europpean stuff too). I'm still worried something will go sooner-than-later. I was building my "emergency kit" and I went up to Murrays and bought all new fuses. Might seem like a waste to some people, but for $5-6 I have all new fuses (some were old school with paper in them) and spares. Sure I could still have different electrical problem, but for now I can cross one off my list of worries.

Personally, I am mechanically inclined, but I know very little about cars. I have spent an hour or two with the Hanyes manual just randomly looking over the car to get familiar with where things are and some places I might want to keep an eye on. It was also a bonding experience that I recommend to anyone!

I drive her 2-3 times a week when I know I can take local roads and it's nice enough outside. My furthest trip in one shot has been about 60 miles...all local roads. I figure in another month I'll have the courage to drive further

Old 05-12-2009 | 10:54 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
No need to just lurk, babblingdweeb! C'mon IN!

That's probably what stops me the most from getting my lusted-after classic - the constant fixing. I have a full plate of stuff to do already, and I'd be sad if I couldn't devote the proper amount of time to it.

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:09 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by babblingdweeb
Seriously, I feel like I have to post...this thread won't die and I have been reading along trying so hard not to post.

Why in the world would you actually follow this undying thread and never post? That seems downright silly.

Glad to hear about your Betty. I would be sad if I had a car like that and only drove 60 miles! Hope you find your courage.

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:15 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198
Hey Duck- I didn't find this thread by searching the Classic Forum either. Am I the only one that has the "latest topics" on the left of my screen? You never search "new posts" either? We're almost always there! Too bad you missed out on your birthday. Thanks for stopping by!

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:57 AM
babblingdweeb
2nd Gear
Why in the world would you actually follow this undying thread and never post? That seems downright silly.

Glad to hear about your Betty. I would be sad if I had a car like that and only drove 60 miles! Hope you find your courage.
Well, I should have told more of the story. I put 500 miles on her and she's only 19 days old I'm bouncing between Alex and Betty based on if I need to do expressway driving or if it's stormy...needless to say, life is good when you have choices!

Old 05-12-2009 | 12:06 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
Wow, I thought I was done with this thread, but my being subscribed to it caused your comment to be posted to my e-mail.

I too have never visited the classic section, since I have a 2006. I saw the headline and the number of posts, so I too got curious.

I spent three hours reading about 1/8th the posts to find out if he got the Mini, for free.

Meh... it was NOT a once in a lifetime opportunity, unless what you are talking about is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be conned and to waste one's time trying to deal with the flake.

He did not get it, the person was an evil person. Or perhaps not evil, just mean and deranged.

So, no, someone did not get a deal.
Hey Michael ... pretty sure she is evil AND deranged! Anyway, it wasn't a total waste of time. We know who she is, the exact location of her rented trailer , what her feet look like (ya' know... in case anyone ever has to identify them in a line-up *shuddering*), and we know lots of other things that have not been disclosed on this thread. We also learned about other scams that she's pulled and hopefully the info that was uncovered because of this thread will help authorities help someone else. Sucks that Skillet didn't get a car but... win some- lose some.

So you're still subscribed to this thread? That's cute... but must drive you crazy! For your entertainment...

Here is the original "Apple"
from somewhere in the UK.
The actual car was CR with
a lime green roof. I've seen
actual pics of the real car
but can't find them now.

And this one is from the
"other" Apple... the
BAD one from Silver Springs.

Coincidence? Oooooohh... I think not.

Last edited by miniola; 05-12-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:12 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by babblingdweeb
Well, I should have told more of the story. I put 500 miles on her and she's only 19 days old I'm bouncing between Alex and Betty based on if I need to do expressway driving or if it's stormy...needless to say, life is good when you have choices!
Wow! Thanks for clarifying! My "Classic" heart feels much better now!

Betty is quite a "Betty"! Do you have any more pictures of her? I think I only saw one in your gallery.

You mention "choices". This is one thing I wonder about. If I had my Classic Mini or my dreamy Riley Elf... how could I choose which to drive??? I picture myself standing in my garage just staring at both of them and not going anywhere.

Old 05-12-2009 | 12:28 PM
miniola
6th Gear
I had my Mini shipped from florida for 750 dollars. It took three days to get her here from Tampa to Kansas City.

I use GB car parts because their prices are much lower than Mini Mania and their service and shipping is ALOT faster. I only go to Mini Mania for parts if I can't find the part anywhere else, including looking at British parts stores on the web (Shipping from a part from Britain was faster than shipping from Mini Mania but that was just my experience but I've heard from a couple other people that they have the same problem).

When you look at Mini's that are "updated to something specs" it's usually just a 95 Sidewalk or whatever that has been re-vinned.

Honestly I wouldn't go for a fuel injected Mini just from what I've heard from people. If something goes wrong with the computer in it there's no one here who can fix it and if it starts running rich or whatever there's nothing really you can do about it. If you do buy a fuel injected get the Single Point Injection (SPI). It can be converted to a carbourated engine. If you get the multi-point injection (MPI) engine it can't be converted. Also, the engine parts for them are more expensive...
Sorry... I rewrote the "updated specs" part of my reply before posting and forgot to put the quotes back around the word "updated". I thought I was being funny with showing you my insider Classic knowledge . Seems that my funnies are just not funny... *sigh*

With that being said though... you lost me on the SPI and MPI. I would understand what you said to mean that the more simple the engine is- the better. Is that correct? I don't know how to fix a lawnmower... so I'm thinkin' I'd be pretty much screwed with a Classic. But I do like the Tartan/Plaid seats!

And as was said earlier (and I agree)... maybe you could help us learn!

Old 05-12-2009 | 03:06 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Sorry... I rewrote the "updated specs" part of my reply before posting and forgot to put the quotes back around the word "updated". I thought I was being funny with showing you my insider Classic knowledge . Seems that my funnies are just not funny... *sigh*

With that being said though... you lost me on the SPI and MPI. I would understand what you said to mean that the more simple the engine is- the better. Is that correct? I don't know how to fix a lawnmower... so I'm thinkin' I'd be pretty much screwed with a Classic. But I do like the Tartan/Plaid seats!

And as was said earlier (and I agree)... maybe you could help us learn!
SPI and MPI are fuel injected Mini's. They started making them around 1993. The early fuel injected ones are the SPI's and the MPI's are about '96 and later Mini's. All pre-90's Mini's are carbourated. Mini's aren't too hard to work on. I barely know how to fix a lawnmower too. If you get good manual's and people to help you out with fixing a Mini you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

If anyone else has any other questions about Mini's I'd be happy to answer them. If anyone wants to add stuff or correct anything I write go ahead, I know I'm not always right.

Old 05-12-2009 | 03:24 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
You know, it would be really awesome if you could put together some articles designed for newbies to classic MINI restoration.

Old 05-12-2009 | 05:42 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
AWE-SOME!
(I like the cheerleader smiley today.)

TIME Magazine - Celebrating 50 Years of the Mini
Celebrating 50 Years of the Mini
Looking back over the past half century of a British design icon.

Old 05-12-2009 | 06:18 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
(I like the cheerleader smiley today.)
Yes, I noticed!!!! It is festive!!!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...