Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009 | 08:05 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
I've been watching that one also. It's so tempting to go see it; it's about a 2.5 hour drive from me. I only wish it had the 1275cc engine. It would be the beginnings of a good race car.
HAL! GO SEE IT! LIVE OUR DREAM!!

BTW- Looks like the show under the carpet has been altered. Me thinks that the "rust" was freshly painted with a spray can.

I thought I read in one of the books that those smaller engines were actually pretty quick. There's always the V-Tec option.

Old 05-25-2009 | 05:38 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Hey RG- from what I've read, it looks like talk about "bad fuel" is regarding fuel with ethanol. Something about blends with 10-15% ethanol. It's very hard to find stations that do NOT have some blend of ethanol. Some people think the whole thing is crap... I don't know.

Anyway... funny that you were able to figure out what your car is doing. Is yours automatic? I'm confused as to how it shifts into 1st without being manually shifted. I know when I am in 2nd, there's a point where it's just too slow for 2nd and I really need to be in 1st... but I can tell that it will stall if I don't put it into 1st (or push the clutch in). Fortunately I rarely ever go that slow!

So, learning how to drive a stick. I kind of learned when I was 17. I had a friend that I worked with and she let me learn on her little Toyota... but that had been like 15 or so years before. I guess I tried driving a stick again when I was in my 20's too (when the husband ended up wearing his Big Gulp between his legs! ). When we got the '05 MINI, I had never tested out a MINI stick and had never tested the Cabrio because there weren't any around. I was too scared to try and drive a manual around in a big city so I never did. The MINI dealership did NOT teach me how to drive stick.

When the car arrived at the dealership, the husband and I rented a car and drove to Jacksonville to get it (4 hours). It was Superbowl Weekend there and it was so COLD! It was getting pretty late when we left (sometime after 8pm) and the husband drove home. I was going to have to practice driving after we got the car home. We thought we would be warm enough with all the outerwear but it we were frozen on the highway. People looked at us like we were weird... but it was her maiden voyage... had to be done.

After about 2 hours of driving, we stopped at a convenience store and I was going to try driving from there. Traffic was pretty light so I wasn't too concerned. I was worried about merging onto the highway though and that I may end up shifting into the wrong gear or stalling or something. So when I started going I STOMPED on it! I don't know how fast I was going but I felt like I was driving a race car. Focused on my shifting I am flying on the highway... the husband says "You've gotta slow down!" and of course my reply was "I'm trying not to stall!". I don't know how fast I was going but as I was getting ready to merge, I look to the left and there's a COP right there! I looked at him and he looked over at me and I thought... OMG he can see my gigantic speedo!!! Nothing happened though... other than my mini heart attack.

On a side note... when we stopped at that convenience store the husband had a mini freak out about our little bit of road trip wrappers and such. So he gets all crazy and starts grabbing at everything and throws the stuff away into the nasty trash can (all while I'm in the bathroom). So I come out and it's my turn to drive. Ummm... need the keys. Where are the KEYS?? We end up tearing up the car trying to figure out where he put them. No luck... can't find them. He says, "What did you do with them?!?!?". Finally, we realize that he THREW THE KEYS AWAY!!! Yep, in that NASTY trash can! And all that drama over a few pieces of plastic/paper and a couple of empty cups. So guess who had to go digging in the can for the keys... ... NOT ME!!! Oh yeah... and since the keys were heavier than most of the trash... they SUNK to the bottom! And what's funny is that he's sitting right beside me (using the other laptop) and he has NO idea that I'm ratting him out!

bunnylove
thanks for another great story OLA. and hubby still has no idea that he was ratted out!!! we won't tell promise!!

Old 05-25-2009 | 05:41 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEM!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKILLET!

Now that I'm making "virtual" cakes for people... I'll be totally screwed if I ever lose this smiley! Happy Birthday guys! And FYI- you have one more person to share your birthday with... my little niece Elise just turned the BIG 3 yesterday! My brother tells me that she had a "Pirate" cake, stayed up way too late and ate too many marshmallows by the campfire. Hope you guys had just as much fun.
THANKS! I LOVE CAKE!!!
I roasted marshmallows with my god-daughters least night, does that count?
I did have a good day, hey it's the weekend so i'm still celebrating.

Old 05-25-2009 | 11:11 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Hey RG- from what I've read, it looks like talk about "bad fuel" is regarding fuel with ethanol. Something about blends with 10-15% ethanol. It's very hard to find stations that do NOT have some blend of ethanol. Some people think the whole thing is crap... I don't know.

Anyway... funny that you were able to figure out what your car is doing. Is yours automatic? I'm confused as to how it shifts into 1st without being manually shifted. I know when I am in 2nd, there's a point where it's just too slow for 2nd and I really need to be in 1st... but I can tell that it will stall if I don't put it into 1st (or push the clutch in). Fortunately I rarely ever go that slow!

So, learning how to drive a stick. I kind of learned when I was 17. I had a friend that I worked with and she let me learn on her little Toyota... but that had been like 15 or so years before. I guess I tried driving a stick again when I was in my 20's too (when the husband ended up wearing his Big Gulp between his legs! ). When we got the '05 MINI, I had never tested out a MINI stick and had never tested the Cabrio because there weren't any around. I was too scared to try and drive a manual around in a big city so I never did. The MINI dealership did NOT teach me how to drive stick.

When the car arrived at the dealership, the husband and I rented a car and drove to Jacksonville to get it (4 hours). It was Superbowl Weekend there and it was so COLD! It was getting pretty late when we left (sometime after 8pm) and the husband drove home. I was going to have to practice driving after we got the car home. We thought we would be warm enough with all the outerwear but it we were frozen on the highway. People looked at us like we were weird... but it was her maiden voyage... had to be done.

After about 2 hours of driving, we stopped at a convenience store and I was going to try driving from there. Traffic was pretty light so I wasn't too concerned. I was worried about merging onto the highway though and that I may end up shifting into the wrong gear or stalling or something. So when I started going I STOMPED on it! I don't know how fast I was going but I felt like I was driving a race car. Focused on my shifting I am flying on the highway... the husband says "You've gotta slow down!" and of course my reply was "I'm trying not to stall!". I don't know how fast I was going but as I was getting ready to merge, I look to the left and there's a COP right there! I looked at him and he looked over at me and I thought... OMG he can see my gigantic speedo!!! Nothing happened though... other than my mini heart attack.

On a side note... when we stopped at that convenience store the husband had a mini freak out about our little bit of road trip wrappers and such. So he gets all crazy and starts grabbing at everything and throws the stuff away into the nasty trash can (all while I'm in the bathroom). So I come out and it's my turn to drive. Ummm... need the keys. Where are the KEYS?? We end up tearing up the car trying to figure out where he put them. No luck... can't find them. He says, "What did you do with them?!?!?". Finally, we realize that he THREW THE KEYS AWAY!!! Yep, in that NASTY trash can! And all that drama over a few pieces of plastic/paper and a couple of empty cups. So guess who had to go digging in the can for the keys... ... NOT ME!!! Oh yeah... and since the keys were heavier than most of the trash... they SUNK to the bottom! And what's funny is that he's sitting right beside me (using the other laptop) and he has NO idea that I'm ratting him out!

bunnylove
Ola... that is an AWESOME story!

Yeah, Viola's an automatic. I was a little daunted by learning to drive a stick when I bought her, so I decided I had to have an auto. My MA looked at me like I was nuts and said, "I can teach you to drive a stick right now you know... " and I insisted and had him get a list of all the autos they had on the lot and what options they had on them.

Old 05-25-2009 | 01:05 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
I've been watching that one also. It's so tempting to go see it; it's about a 2.5 hour drive from me. I only wish it had the 1275cc engine. It would be the beginnings of a good race car.
Hey HAL- GOOD NEWS! It was owned by a "GRANDMA"!

So the response (quote) from the EBay person listing it for sale-

"the car came from wales, ive owned it for 3 years. an old lady owned it, she passed away and left it to her grandson, i purchased it from him.
- 58vaulxhall"

Old 05-25-2009 | 04:27 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Hey HAL- GOOD NEWS! It was owned by a "GRANDMA"!

So the response (quote) from the EBay person listing it for sale-

"the car came from wales, Ive owned it for 3 years. an old lady owned it, she passed away and left it to her grandson, i purchased it from him.
- 58vaulxhall"
Or how about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-...1%7C240%3A1318

If one had the time and mechanical skills this would be a steal. Drop another $2-3k and you'd have real classic; first year Mini was built.

Old 05-25-2009 | 07:09 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Yeah, Viola's an automatic. I was a little daunted by learning to drive a stick when I bought her, so I decided I had to have an auto. My MA looked at me like I was nuts and said, "I can teach you to drive a stick right now you know... " and I insisted and had him get a list of all the autos they had on the lot and what options they had on them.
RG, most of the cars I have every owned were manual, but when I ordered Nugget, I was in stop and go traffic all the time and decided to go Auto this time round. I'm good with the auto trans.

My funny story about learning to drive stick, the very first car I every bought, was weeks before I got my drivers license, and it was a cute little car, I absolutely had to have this car, yes manual. So my dad drove it home and parked it in drive way, and every day I would come home from school and sit in it and listen to the radio. Couldn't drive it and didn't have a license so i would just sit and listen. And yes it was an AM radio at that! OH I was so cool... After about a week of this my neighbor walked over to my car and said we are learning to drive this thing today, he felt so sorry for me not knowing how to drive the car and watching me every day just sitting in it... hahhaha, what a great memory that was. And just for the record He and his wife and I are still friends today, 30 + years! We still laugh at how cool I was back then!

Old 05-26-2009 | 05:01 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Ola, I LOVE that story... Gem, your story is really funny too!

Now that we're back on the subject of classics, I have a question for you...

does something seem a little, uh, wrong with the picture in the classic mini ad?

Picture4.png?t=1243381212

<giggle>

Last edited by TNMiniMama; 05-26-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2009 | 12:07 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
This thread is moving really slow the past couple days....

Old 05-27-2009 | 12:10 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I think it's the weather...i spent most of yesterday out doors...as my sexy arm-band-where-the-iPod-was SUNBURN can attest. *sigh* ow. ow.

Old 05-27-2009 | 12:15 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I'm trying to find out how a ding is supposed to be properly repaired so as not to get ripped off by a body shop...

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:47 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
You might check out this thread on Paintless Dent Removal (PDR).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2778670

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:54 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I'm trying to find out how a ding is supposed to be properly repaired so as not to get ripped off by a body shop...
The best thing ever to come out of my first ding was locating a great local PDR guy who knew his way around a MINI. I think I found him by networking through the local MINI club. I've been back to him several times over the years...takes some of the sting out of such tragic circumstances.

Old 05-27-2009 | 05:28 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
hey Cab, the June 6 thingy is not a rally but a British car show, and MINI was invited, we are going. I am entered to show Nugget... her first official showing.... never did this before but then again never had a MINI before so this is a first for me, but hubby is very excited about seeing all the great classics of the British line as he had owned a few in the day! I would love to see you and hubby again if you can make it!

I feel so lost by not catching up with the reading can anyone give me cliff notes on what i missed?

OH and today is my birthday!!! YEAH I LOVE BIRTHDAYS!!! i'm such a kid!!! going out for dinner tonight with my family!
OH MY GOSH!!!! It was Gem's birthday??? And I missed it???
Well, hope it was a happy happy happy one. We just had our 9th anniversary,, this May month is a busy one!

Old 05-27-2009 | 05:46 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
GR-8-T!!! MIssed Skillet's b day also?? Jeez, I simply cannot fall off of here for a few days. What a great weekend!! And RJ your tribute to Uhoh and all of our armed forces was awesome and I agree 100%.
Ola and Gem, I loved both of your manual learning stories.

I drive an auto with no apologies, I can drive stick, just chose not to since I text at every red light and answer calls from clients and eat lunch all while in my car Ola your husband would REALLY freak if he saw my Sloopy's interiors some days!!

I don't remember learning to drive stick, was driving stick on old tracotrs as far back as I can recollect( saying this in my farmgirl twang)
In fact I also don't recall "learning" to ride a horse, as far back as I can remember I was riding...

TNmm- went to the Devon Horse Show Sat. night,,, had a blast, watched the finals of the Jr Jumpers,,, great great talent! woo!
I saw a few hosses that probably cost a darn sight more than my Sloopy!

Those classics are awesome!! maybe we should all put in some $$$ and have a Freebie classic,,, rotate it out to it's new owner every 34 months or so?? Kind of like that movie about the jeans???

Ooohh,, I love this idea...

Update--- tomorrow is a full week without diet pop-- and other than Tuesday morning I have had a week free of headaches.... Tuesdays' headache was from 2 really strong Margaritas...

And also RG?? what have I missed?? What is wrong with Vista

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:12 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Hal: Thanks, I already know about PDR, explanation for my statement follows below in my explanation to cab about what happened to Viola.

cab: Viola has a dent from some dork opening their car door into my passenger side rear quarter panel. My usual PDR guy did not feel comfortable making this repair without drilling holes into the door jamb, so I am trying to find someone else who is willing to take the interior paneling apart and is confident that they will not wreck my interior in the process of doing this thing. I've got a recommendation for a local guy that works on high end cars, but my errand running went longer than planned so I am going to call him in the morning.

We'll see how that goes.

GKR, my local MINI club is great, but I just don't have time to participate in club activities right now. Maybe in a year or so when my life slows down and I have more leisure time, but you're absolutely right. They put me onto the tire guys that I love. If this new guy doesn't work out, I'll head down to a meeting and talk to the club. I hadn't even thought of checking with them.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I love you guys and I love this thread!!!!

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:31 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hey Cab, glad the headaches are going away, just from giving up "pop".

buy hey girl don't go crazy and give up Margaritas too! so with my upmost support, keep drinking and make one for me!

Happy anniversary, what day?

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:40 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Well, it isn't a 100% recovery but for the most part life is bearable,,,
May 26th!!

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:48 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
GKR, my local MINI club is great, but I just don't have time to participate in club activities right now.
Actually, this makes perfect sense...I'm in exact the same boat myself w/ my local club!!! NAM is much more flexible for the time I have and I love the diverse group of owners here.

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:00 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
we are a pretty good, dirverse group aren't we!

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:02 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
"Diverse" was the nice way of saying it!!

Old 05-28-2009 | 05:24 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Morning Freebies,
RG- I'm really sorry about that ding. What a pain!
Cab- Happy Anniversary! And I'm so glad the headaches are almost all gone. Bet you feel like you're getting a new lease on life. And the Devon Horse Show?! OMG! I LOVE the Devon Horse Show. I was kissed by my first boyfriend on the top of the ferris wheel there when I was... oh... never mind.. too young to have a boyfriend But he did win me a big stuff animal from the carnies... and then got me a horse shoe nail ring from a blacksmith.
I've had friends ride in that show, and my step-grandfather used to drive his Four-in-hand there and at the Radnor Hunt...

<sigh> I remember those days fondly.

Today... my son is graduating from 3rd grade to 4th grade! It's a big deal, as a year and a half ago, we didn't think he'd be able to do it, he was so miserable. We got him into a different kind of school and now he's flourishing. So I'm super happy and proud of him.

Off to be a happy Mama! TTYL

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:10 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Yay, Vivi's son!!! Congrats!

Happy Anniversary Cab!

Old 05-28-2009 | 09:57 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Tnmm,, congrats to you and your son.... Oh the pleasures and pains of motherhood!!!!

And glad I could give you a moment of Devon H.S. nostalgia...

Old 05-28-2009 | 09:59 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
now he's flourishing.
Isn't that super!!!!!! Congrats to you and he on the graduation!!!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...